PDA

View Full Version : Culture Problem Ticking Time Bomb Up North

Reason2succeed
08-22-2023, 09:04 AM
Never mind that David Johnson basically admits that NIL was used as a recruiting inducement for Franklin on OOB yesterday. And no disrespect to Franklin, I would have done the same thing because the wealth of the wicked is laid up for the just.

It is unsustainable. It is a culture problem ticking time bomb.

It is okay to pay Judkins to stay but it is an omen of the future. Paying Franklin to come will create issues when either 1) he doesnt work hard or live up to expectations or 2) when he feels he has outperformed his contract 3) another player thinks they deserve the same or more than him.

Be patient. We are doing it the right way.

Maverick91
08-22-2023, 09:22 AM
What is the difference in how they are doing and what State is doing?

Asking because I have no idea.

Goldendawg
08-22-2023, 09:38 AM
Well, they now have the following linemen from MS committed to their 2024 class, #2 ranked 5 star DL .98, #3 ranked 4 star DL .94, & #4 ranked 4 star IOL .92. They like aTm and others are not worried at all about culture problems. It is hard to close "Pandora's Box" after it has been opened. Rules are needed that are not in opposition to the Supreme Court decision. Even the NFL has contracts and salary caps.

Really Clark?
08-22-2023, 09:57 AM
What is the difference in how they are doing and what State is doing?

Asking because I have no idea.

We look to spend our NIL more heavily on retention of current players than using it heavily to get HS recruits.

TheLostDawg
08-22-2023, 10:23 AM
We look to spend our NIL more heavily on retention of current players than using it heavily to get HS recruits.

Would be nice to get some guys like that and pay them to stay instead of 3* guys that take 3 to four years to develop

bigbub50
08-22-2023, 11:14 AM
Over paying a high school recruit is not wise in my opinion. They still have one free transfer and you just don?t know what your getting. Paying a guy that has been around or buying a guy out of the portal is the better move. If you get a guy out of the portal, their one free pass is burned and you can evaluate their play at their former school to have a better idea of what your getting. After a player has transferred once, they lose alot of negotiating power. They can?t really threaten to leave because they would have to sit a year.

Texas AM wasted a lot of money on their number 1 recruiting class, some of those 5 stars aren?t even there anymore.

State NIL payed off big time with keeping Bookie and Crumedy. No way those guys come back if we didn?t pay them and they deserved it.

RockyDog
08-22-2023, 11:17 AM
Never mind that David Johnson basically admits that NIL was used as a recruiting inducement for Franklin on OOB yesterday. And no disrespect to Franklin, I would have done the same thing because the wealth of the wicked is laid up for the just.

It is okay to pay Judkins to stay but it is an omen of the future. Paying Franklin to come will create issues when either 1) he doesnt work hard or live up to expectations or 2) when he feels he has outperformed his contract 3) another player thinks they deserve the same or more than him.

I don’t get it. Isn’t that what NiL is for? We have people bitching constantly that our NiL sucks and can’t keep up with anybody else. Yet you are saying that paying a recruit using NIl is going to cause culture problems for scUM? They have been paying players for decades. Now they don’t have to do it under the table.

Ranchdawg
08-22-2023, 11:53 AM
I don?t get it. Isn?t that what NiL is for? We have people bitching constantly that our NiL sucks and can?t keep up with anybody else. Yet you are saying that paying a recruit using NIl is going to cause culture problems for scUM? They have been paying players for decades. Now they don?t have to do it under the table.

I totally agree they Ole miss having been paying players for decades and I?m talking serious cash monies. Not just what Cam Newton got aprox 120,000. But thousands more. And imo they have had a serious culture problem for a long time because of it. Their belief is out bid who ever and get the players to Oxford and the rest of the problems once enrolled will work themselves out. Ask Jimbo Fisher how this working out for his football team.

Gotta remember a lot of today?s players is all about me. Not about team. I?d hate to be a coach in today?s world.

MetEdDawg
08-22-2023, 11:55 AM
We should be providing NIL to high school players as much as possible. I would rather have a good kid than not have a good kid.

And in case anyone has been paying attention, we aren't getting the best folks out of the portal either.

It's a money game. Our strategy likely is to rely heavily on retaining because we aren't anywhere close to the NIL needed to get the upper end talent out there. We need folks to give to NIL.

Folks trying to make sense of this need to stop. More money = better chance to win Doesn't guarantee it, but I would rather have talent than not have it.

SpaceWranglerDawg
08-22-2023, 12:23 PM
The whole thing has been a shit show since day one....lol

Who thought it would be a great idea to have an uncapped system to give money to 17-18-19 year olds? Who could have ever anticipated that things would get loose????

RockyDog
08-22-2023, 12:59 PM
I totally agree they Ole miss having been paying players for decades and I?m talking serious cash monies. Not just what Cam Newton got aprox 120,000. But thousands more. And imo they have had a serious culture problem for a long time because of it. Their belief is out bid who ever and get the players to Oxford and the rest of the problems once enrolled will work themselves out. Ask Jimbo Fisher how this working out for his football team.

Gotta remember a lot of today?s players is all about me. Not about team. I?d hate to be a coach in today?s world.

But they get what they want. They get to brag about stupid shit like owning the Sip, dominating “Little brother” and competing on the same level as Bama and LSU.

Realistically we know they aren’t, but in their delusional minds they are “champions” and college football blue bloods.

Hell even Mr Dunkel and Mr. Litkenhaus say so!!

BorneDawg
08-22-2023, 01:03 PM
Well, they now have the following linemen from MS committed to their 2024 class, #2 ranked 5 star DL .98, #3 ranked 4 star DL .94, & #4 ranked 4 star IOL .92. They like aTm and others are not worried at all about culture problems. It is hard to close "Pandora's Box" after it has been opened. Rules are needed that are not in opposition to the Supreme Court decision. Even the NFL has contracts and salary caps.

even though I've given plenty out to many other post it still says this every time ......I give up
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Goldendawg again.

BorneDawg
08-22-2023, 01:07 PM
what I want to know is how is everyone able to afford to contribute to all these NIL programs.......... I barely can pay the bills during these dark days of Bidenomics!!!!!

Maverick91
08-22-2023, 01:20 PM

Yeah… that’s a pretty big difference.

It will only implode when Lane loses the ability to get them to recognize they arent being treated like kids but adults.

HancockCountyDog
08-22-2023, 01:25 PM
I keep being told by people that have much nicer seats than me that we are keeping our NIL money pretty much intact so that we can hit the portal hard this offseason in the front seven where we will absolutely need it. We need guys in the front seven to be impact players and we aren't going to be able to get the HS ones, and even those take at least a year or two.

Also, we have spent serious money keeping a few basketball players, a baseball kid, and several guys on our current roster. There is a reason that we have the most senior laden team in the SEC this year. We have committed real money to keep this team intact for a big year.

As far as what the bears are doing, let's see who signs with them in December, and let's see who sticks with them for more than one season. People were acting like we were going to have to shut down the program when they got MJ Daniels. Yeah, he is at USM now and didn't do a single thing for that team.

So far I agree with where we have spent our money.

Offshore Dawg
08-22-2023, 01:28 PM
The culture in Oxford is either bacteria or corruption.

bigbub50
08-22-2023, 02:25 PM
I like the way we seem to be doing it. Invest enough in hs players to be 30th-20th in high school recruiting. Focus on high character guys. Save the majority of money to get guys to come back that are rated 5th-7th rounds, who are not eligible for nfl yet and may transfer, and portal guys who can make an impact.

Paying a high 4 star or 5 star to come to your school the same amount your paying a two year starter is risky in my opinion. These players talk and likly know what each other are making. This could definitely cause locker room problems.

Now if we had a blue bloods budget, then I?d sing a different tune. Gotta spend the money we have wisely.

Teams that only rely on the portal or teams buying high school recruits could definitely blow up in your face. Gotta strike a balance and take care of the guys that have proven they can earn the paycheck.

Coach34
08-22-2023, 07:31 PM
NIL is here to stay and is still morphing. It's not going to affect them very much teamwise. What will affect them is will their defense be better and allow them to have a shot at 10 wins. They are going to win 7 or 8 games. I think the Egg decides that for them. Egg decides whether we win 8 or 9

RocketDawg
08-22-2023, 07:46 PM

Most schools cheated to some degree before NIL. There's no reason to expect that they'd do anything other than cheat now, pushing NIL to the limits and beyond.

Todd4State
08-23-2023, 07:59 AM

I hope we evolve our NIL to where we can spend it more on high school recruits in the future.

Leroy Jenkins
08-23-2023, 04:41 PM
I hope we evolve our NIL to where we can spend it more on high school recruits in the future.

You could also argue that HS kids are more of a gamble to be a bust. College kids are more a known commodity. In a perfect world we'd have enough money for both.

Leroy Jenkins
08-23-2023, 04:51 PM
Also, speaking of culture, Sam Williams was arrested on gun and drug charges. It's amazing how they never seem to have any run-ins with the police in Oxford over anything more than a traffic violation.

lastmajordog
08-23-2023, 08:20 PM
del

BuckyIsAB****
08-23-2023, 09:41 PM
NIL is here to stay and is still morphing. It's not going to affect them very much teamwise. What will affect them is will their defense be better and allow them to have a shot at 10 wins. They are going to win 7 or 8 games. I think the Egg decides that for them. Egg decides whether we win 8 or 9

There are some culture red flags at OM

Cooterpoot
08-23-2023, 10:17 PM
Would be nice to get some guys like that and pay them to stay instead of 3* guys that take 3 to four years to develop

Every one of those are developmental. One isn't very good. One is already in trouble. Franklin had family and friends involved getting paid. They blew a wad on a guy that's good but not elite.

Todd4State
08-24-2023, 07:51 AM
You could also argue that HS kids are more of a gamble to be a bust. College kids are more a known commodity. In a perfect world we'd have enough money for both.

I agree. There needs to be a balance of both. Because we will miss on a lot of elite talent that can help us if we don't on the front end even though I am sure there will be some that don't pan out too.

HancockCountyDog
08-24-2023, 01:41 PM
Every one of those are developmental. One isn't very good. One is already in trouble. Franklin had family and friends involved getting paid. They blew a wad on a guy that's good but not elite.

I've seen the kid from Goula play, that dude is a player. I hope we can get involved there.