PDA

View Full Version : Argue with ya mama

Reason2succeed
08-20-2023, 08:34 PM
I?m gonna say this because it?s a fact.

THIS TEAM HAS MORE PROVEN TALENT THAN 2014. Okay,

I?m gonna log off and let y?all think about it.

Harrydawg
08-20-2023, 08:51 PM
Ok. I have no way with my ADHD to place myself in 2014 - however, Arnette and this incredible staff appear to be loaded on paper. Where are we weak / unproven? Back 4 on D? I will argue?..plenty of Dawgs back there

Dawghouse
08-20-2023, 11:23 PM
DBs Redmond and Calhoun were young but already proven and both spent at least some time on NFL teams.
Our safety's weren't good/proven in 2014 so I'll give it to this year since we have a lot of experience, just not sure how they will play on the field.

LBs. we have great ones but so did 2014 so it's a wash
SRs Benardrick McKinney, Matthew wells, Christian Holmes
Plus Sophomores who played as freshman I believe
Richie Brown
Beniquez Brown

DL 2014 wins this
SOs Chris Jones, Nick Adams, AJ Jefferson, Nelson Adams
SRs Preston Smith, PJ Jones, Caleb Eulls

On offense
OL - I'll give this to 2023, 2014 was pretty good though

QB I'm taking Dak every time, the overall QB room is more proven this year with Wright added in but only 1 plays.

RB is tough
Nick Griffin and J Rob was about it for proven although Mullen continued to prove Holloway up the middle was a bad idea.

This year we have Marks and Price plus some unprovens.

I'm calling it a wash

WRs
2014 was pretty stout with the Freds, Bear Wilson, and Jameon Lewis but going into the season 3 of 4 were unproven sophomores so I guess it goes to 2023 based on snaps. I hope 2023 turns out as well on the field.

We have more experienced players almost everywhere so if you're going on that then yeah you're right but experience plus talent I'm giving the edge to 2014 slightly.

3-2-3 2014 wins preseason. Let's hope 2023 wins on the field. I have a good feeling.

Todd4State
08-21-2023, 01:04 AM
We have a lot of experience for sure.

However, in 2014 that was our sixth year in that offensive system and I believe our second in Geoff Collins system.

I think 2014 underachieved because of the 1A/1B crap plus Dan making it personal with Josh Robinson.

We have good players but who is really ELITE? Will is not Dak. We don't have a Chris Jones type on the team either.

Todd4State
08-21-2023, 01:08 AM
One other thing about 2014- that was the last veteran team that we had that did not have a major head coaching change. The next "cycle" for that we had Moorhead in his first year and now Arnett.

It remains to be seen what kind of season we have this year but it's hard to reach our ceiling on our peak cycle seasons when we're having to install new schemes. We may have to wait until 2027 to hit our "peak" again which could be when Parson is a RS senior assuming he doesn't blow up and leave school early and we hit on our 2025 targets like I think we will and add them with what we are putting together this year and last year.

Mjoelner34
08-21-2023, 06:43 AM
I wouldn't say LBs were a wash with 2014. As far as run stuffing yes, but that entire 2014 crew could outrun Bookie and Jett while back peddling.

Offshore Dawg
08-21-2023, 07:13 AM
The season can't get here soon enough so all this speculation will turn into facts. Then we get the side that was right going HaHaHaHa!!!!!! I told you so, I told you so.

Matt3467
08-21-2023, 08:35 AM

However, in 2014 that was our sixth year in that offensive system and I believe our second in Geoff Collins system.

I think 2014 underachieved because of the 1A/1B crap plus Dan making it personal with Josh Robinson.

We have good players but who is really ELITE? Will is not Dak. We don't have a Chris Jones type on the team either.

That was part of it but Dak never played well vs Bama and OM. The two games that mattered the most on our schedule he always disappeared. Dak and Dan seemed to have a knack for that.

Dawghouse
08-21-2023, 08:41 AM
I agree mostly, I just couldn't do it since we're returning the top 2 tacklers in SEC this year, had to give them a little respect.

Leeshouldveflanked
08-21-2023, 09:12 AM
2014 LSU, Auburn and A&M were not very good and did not live up to their preseason hype.

Quaoarsking
08-21-2023, 09:40 AM
That was part of it but Dak never played well vs Bama and OM. The two games that mattered the most on our schedule he always disappeared. Dak and Dan seemed to have a knack for that.

Dak never played well against Ole Miss? Really? Are you forgetting 2013, the greatest Egg Bowl of all time?

Matt3467
08-21-2023, 09:57 AM
Dak never played well against Ole Miss? Really? Are you forgetting 2013, the greatest Egg Bowl of all time?

11/20 115yds 0/0
9 rushes for 29yds 1 td

Our defense playing lights out that game and the Bo Wallace fumble as he had a clear path to the endzone in OT are what I remember the most from that game. Not Dak's play.

Edit: I'd like to add that I know he had a nerve injury that game so I can't knock him too hard for that but the next two games he played in full were very poor showings.

DownwardDawg
08-21-2023, 10:13 AM
11/20 115yds 0/0
9 rushes for 29yds 1 td

Our defense playing lights out that game and the Bo Wallace fumble as he had a clear path to the endzone in OT are what I remember the most from that game. Not Dak's play.

Edit: I'd like to add that I know he had a nerve injury that game so I can't knock him too hard for that but the next two games he played in full were very poor showings.
He missed almost the entire game due to that injury. All those stats are him coming in mid 4th quarter. He pretty much won that game himself. It's not close if he doesn't convince Mullen to let him play. Then he begged Mullen to go for it on 4th when he scored.

2014 was all Mullen and defense. We looked lost.

R2Dawg
08-21-2023, 12:46 PM
I wouldn't say LBs were a wash with 2014. As far as run stuffing yes, but that entire 2014 crew could outrun Bookie and Jett while back peddling.

No doubt. Really like our LB but Bmac and Wells be hard for anyone to beat.

R2Dawg
08-21-2023, 12:48 PM
11/20 115yds 0/0
9 rushes for 29yds 1 td

Dak did all that in one quarter of play too. Muliply X 4 and that is some gaudy numbers. D played great but Dak took over the game.

Coach34
08-21-2023, 12:48 PM

I'll have to disagree a little there. We didnt block a soul in 2014 or 2015 Egg Bowls

Dak was 22/37 for 282 passing in 2014- but we ran it 47 times for 163 yards....3.5 per
2015? Dak was 21/30 for 236 and 2 TD's. Threw one pick in the 3 Eggs. We had over 400 yards of offense in both games somehow- but our D gave up 31 and 37 points. That's what lost it.

R2Dawg
08-21-2023, 12:52 PM

Agree that is one thing about tihs year's team; just no elite player anywhere on the field but very good everywhere can be a championship team too.

This year's RB group is better than 14. PSU guy is a 1000yd performer. We got 5 guys that can tote the rock in SEC ball. Not many years we got that.

BeardoMSU
08-21-2023, 02:10 PM
I'll have to disagree a little there. We didnt block a soul in 2014 or 2015 Egg Bowls

Dak was 22/37 for 282 passing in 2014- but we ran it 47 times for 163 yards....3.5 per
2015? Dak was 21/30 for 236 and 2 TD's. Threw one pick in the 3 Eggs. We had over 400 yards of offense in both games somehow- but our D gave up 31 and 37 points. That's what lost it.

Didn't Dak get sacked like 10 times in the 2015 EB?

Coach34
08-21-2023, 02:26 PM
Didn't Dak get sacked like 10 times in the 2015 EB?

7. We didnt block worth a damn

Captain Falcon
08-21-2023, 02:39 PM
7. We didnt block worth a damn

He did have an early fumble and pick six that really hurt us in 2015. But you are correct, it was mostly on our o-line and defense completely dropping the ball. We could not block and they were scoring on us EASILY until they put it in cruise control. I mean it was 28-3 with 11 minutes to go before halftime. Garbage time scores made that a lot closer than it actually was.

Matt3467
08-21-2023, 05:48 PM

In the 2015 game Dak fumbled on the opening drive giving OM the ball on their end of the field that led to a td then a few drives later he would throw a pick 6. 14 of those 38 points OM had was due in part largely to Dak.

2014 was our year but after we got punched in the mouth by Bama it's like we didn't care anymore. I still believe we get in the playoff as a 4 seed had we taken care of business in Oxford but when it all was on the line we couldn't breakthrough.

Bama has been the same story for every QB here since 2008 but Fitzgerald gave us the best shot we ever had in 2017.

gtowndawg
08-23-2023, 08:56 AM
As much as I want to agree we have an unproven coaching staff going up against heavy weights in the coaching world week in and week out. On paper we look outstanding but the coaching aspect is simply a mystery at this point.

If Coach Leach were still here, I'd say we're looking at a 9-win season, maybe 10 with a bowl.

TrapGame
08-23-2023, 09:22 AM
As much as I want to agree we have an unproven coaching staff going up against heavy weights in the coaching world week in and week out. On paper we look outstanding but the coaching aspect is simply a mystery at this point.

If Coach Leach were still here, I'd say we're looking at a 9-win season, maybe 10 with a bowl.

I think we are going to be surprised that a first year head coach seems to know what he's doing. The rumors coming out of camp about Moorhead's incompetence were a red flag. (A lot of Mullen's guys were sounding the alarm that Joe just didn't get it as a head coach of an SEC team.) He was not a first time head coach either. He ran Fordham's program perfectly. There have been zero rumors about Arnett's methods or decisions during spring or fall. So far that's a good thing.

Jarius
08-23-2023, 10:22 AM

I think this is one of the most overplayed cliches on the internet. One of Dan Mullen's best coaching jobs was in 2009 with that very young and low talent team. We went 5-7 but it wasn't because of him being a first year head coach. It was because we were severely outmanned. Arnett is inheriting a 9 win team. Our offense is beating the defense in scrimmages, and we return a very veteran salty defense. Joe Moorhead won 8 games in year 1. If Arnett sucks, it's likely going to be once this veteran talent leaves. The ship will run itself in year 1, ie. Larry Coker. We won't truly know what we have with Arnett until year 2 or 3, unless he totally flops this year.