PDA

View Full Version : Ice we skate is gettin pretty thin, water's gettin warm so you might as well swim

Tater
08-20-2023, 12:30 PM
I know I'm one of the most northern dawgs cause I've relocated to Madison ........ Wisconsin. All I have to say is what in the sam hill is going on. I'm going for my morning jog and a familiar feeling hits. "This heat kinda sucks." I check and it's ****ing 90? outside. It's supposed to get as high as 97? this week.

Al Gore was right about ManBearPig. Hearing some records gonna potentially be broken in Starkville this week. 105-106. Wonder what day Arnett is taking the boys to the Farm. If it's one of them, then any one them that survive that should kick ass throughout September.

Cowbell
08-20-2023, 12:33 PM
I know I'm one of the most northern dawgs cause I've relocated to Madison ........ Wisconsin. All I have to say is what in the sam hill is going on. I'm going for my morning jog and a familiar feeling hits. "This heat kinda sucks." I check and it's ****ing 90? outside. It's supposed to get as high as 97? this week.

Al Gore was right about ManBearPig. Hearing some records gonna potentially be broken in Starkville this week. 105-106. Wonder what day Arnett is taking the boys to the Farm. If it's one of them, then any one them that survive that should kick ass throughout September.

Welcome to Summertime! Happens every year. Just be glad you aren't in Texas where it's been 108-110 for weeks now.,

Saltydog
08-20-2023, 01:15 PM
Highs for Starkville next week:

Today is a mild 95.
Monday - 98
Tuesday - 99
Wednesday - 103
Thursday - 104
Friday - 102
Saturday - 100

This is NOT with the heat index factored in.

3dawgnight15
08-20-2023, 01:54 PM
Didn?t expect a Smashmouth reference when I woke up this morning.

Dawgology
08-20-2023, 01:58 PM

It’ll get hotter over the next few years probably if we haven’t peaked already. Got up to 115 in Mississippi back in 1930 and we are back in that El Ni?o heating pattern and experiencing a 100 year interval. Combine that with the massive underwater volcano from earlier this year ejecting tons of water in the air is having a major impact. It’ll cool off again in a few years and everyone will be talking about hell freezing over

SPMT
08-20-2023, 03:34 PM
It?ll get hotter over the next few years probably if we haven?t peaked already. Got up to 115 in Mississippi back in 1930 and we are back in that El Ni?o heating pattern and experiencing a 100 year interval. Combine that with the massive underwater volcano from earlier this year ejecting tons of water in the air is having a major impact. It?ll cool off again in a few years and everyone will be talking about hell freezing over

Hell, last year there were record lows and record snowfall in Utah. Probably similar in other rockie mountain regions

Tater
08-20-2023, 03:41 PM
Welcome to Summertime! Happens every year. Just be glad you aren't in Texas where it's been 108-110 for weeks now.,

I grew up in Mississippi. And did the whole two a days in high school. I know about the heat.

I was just shocked to get it in ****ing Wisconsin.

SpaceWranglerDawg
08-20-2023, 06:50 PM

Can't speak for Starkville, but yesterday, Jackson broke a record for the hottest August 19th in all the time it's been recorded. 8/22 should break the record on Tuesday as well.

TaleofTwoDogs
08-20-2023, 09:26 PM
You should have checked your bus ticket more closely, should have read Madison, MS not Madison, WI. Sorry about that.

PGHBulldogBG
08-20-2023, 09:48 PM
It?s actually been a cooler summer in Pennsylvania than normal. Not even a handful of 90 degree days. All the smoke from these Canadian fires has kept the temperature down, but the air quality has been horrible. Sun and sky have been red most days. Then we had a tornado last week which we never get. Just an odd weather year and barely any snow last winter

Reason2succeed
08-20-2023, 09:51 PM
Maybe scientists are right and we can?t just dump a bunch of greenhouse gases into the atmosphere year after year after year with no consequences. But, hey what do they know they?re just scientists. 😏🙄

SpaceWranglerDawg
08-21-2023, 07:05 AM
Maybe scientists are right and we can?t just dump a bunch of greenhouse gases into the atmosphere year after year after year with no consequences. But, hey what do they know they?re just scientists. ����

It's hard to argue against temps....105 high here thursday. I'm pretty much an idiot, so I don't travel down the rabbit hole of lots of information, but we've been breaking heat records left and right this summer. Can't argue that at least it's a little strange.

Tater
08-21-2023, 08:34 AM
It's hard to argue against temps....105 high here thursday. I'm pretty much an idiot, so I don't travel down the rabbit hole of lots of information, but we've been breaking heat records left and right this summer. Can't argue that at least it's a little strange.

I think it'd be a lot easier to accept and understand for people if it wasn't called Global "Warming". It's going in both directions. Not just the 100? oceans, but also the awful snow and record blizzards getting set lower and lower. Pacific even had a nasty Hurricane. The weather is hitting higher extremes on both ends.

If you were a scientist viewing Earth through a microscope, you would think Earth is infected with a virus and is trying to either sweat it out / fight against it.

KentuckyDawg13
08-21-2023, 10:48 AM
nm

BeardoMSU
08-21-2023, 11:05 AM
I think it'd be a lot easier to accept and understand for people if it wasn't called Global "Warming". It's going in both directions. Not just the 100? oceans, but also the awful snow and record blizzards getting set lower and lower. Pacific even had a nasty Hurricane. The weather is hitting higher extremes on both ends.

If you were a scientist viewing Earth through a microscope, you would think Earth is infected with a virus and is trying to either sweat it out / fight against it.

Just FYI, the "Warming" moniker is in reference to the warming of the poles, which in turn results in ice-cap loss and a ton of cool freshwater being dumped into the ocean currents throwing the global weather system into flux. That's why you're seeing such climate shifts (i.e., extremes in heat during the summer; extremes in cold during the winter; an increase in extreme weather events; etc.).

I always laugh when someone says "we just had the coldest winter ever, so much for that GloBaL wARmInG!"...(obviously unaware of how things work).

Obviously not what you said, lol, it just made me think of that :).

To your point, though, there is indeed a confusion with how the whole thing is labeled/described (i.e., global warming vs global climate change), and its pretty frustrating.

Coach34
08-21-2023, 11:30 AM

well except that 2011 was just as hot and a record we broke here the other day was from 1930. It happens. Its weather.

WSOPdawg
08-21-2023, 11:46 AM
well except that 2011 was just as hot and a record we broke here the other day was from 1930. It happens. Its weather.

Heaven forbid scientists figure out how to "control and manipulate" the weather... government(s) will try to weaponize it (it'll be Oppenheimer and the A-bomb all over again).

DownwardDawg
08-21-2023, 12:47 PM
Maybe scientists are right and we can?t just dump a bunch of greenhouse gases into the atmosphere year after year after year with no consequences. But, hey what do they know they?re just scientists. ����

They change with the times. By my degree from State, I'm a scientist. I just chose a different path for my career. Scientists are all over the place. Growing up in the 70's, we were told another "ice age" of sorts was gonna happen. At lease a lot colder temps. Then we were destroying the ozone by eating holes in it from aerosols. Now the ozone layer has healed itself too good and greenhouse gases cant escape causing temps to rise.
What WILL happen is it will change again. The earth will continue to do what it does on its own. And "scientists" will jump on the next money making research bandwagon. Gotta get those govt grants!!!!

SpaceWranglerDawg
08-21-2023, 01:33 PM

This is true coach. Records are broken. Exactly like we're seeing right now.

....but I'm not going to pretend i graduated from Harvard. I have a PR degree from Mississippi State. I can absolutely decipher things myself, but I also don't have the intelligence to understand a lot of the scientific stuff...

All i know, it's F'n hot.

Coach34
08-21-2023, 01:37 PM
They change with the times. By my degree from State, I'm a scientist. I just chose a different path for my career. Scientists are all over the place. Growing up in the 70's, we were told another "ice age" of sorts was gonna happen. At lease a lot colder temps. Then we were destroying the ozone by eating holes in it from aerosols. Now the ozone layer has healed itself too good and greenhouse gases cant escape causing temps to rise.
What WILL happen is it will change again. The earth will continue to do what it does on its own. And "scientists" will jump on the next money making research bandwagon. Gotta get those govt grants!!!!

yep

phatdog
08-21-2023, 01:40 PM
Its the volcanos

BeardoMSU
08-21-2023, 01:53 PM

Couple things:

1) just having a science degree doesn't make one a scientist...scientists do research (and publish) or some other type of R&D (also typically published, or at least part of some type of research program).

2) the reason you don't hear about the ozone much anymore is because the global community came together and addressed it (mostly) by phasing out/baning many of the fluorocarbon gasses that were causing the problem. A win for science!

DownwardDawg
08-21-2023, 02:09 PM
Couple things:

1) just having a science degree doesn't make one a scientist...scientists do research (and publish) or some other type of R&D (also typically published, or at least part of some type of research program).

2) the reason you don't hear about the ozone much anymore is because the global community came together and addressed it (mostly) by phasing out/baning many of the fluorocarbon gasses that were causing the problem. A win for science!

I did a research paper/presentation years ago on fluorocarbon gases and the ozone.

BeardoMSU
08-21-2023, 02:12 PM
I did a research paper/presentation years ago on fluorocarbon gases and the ozone.

In middle school?***

DownwardDawg
08-21-2023, 02:30 PM
In middle school?***

Hahaha!! Nice!

Coach34
08-21-2023, 02:38 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09FmRNb3Krg

sleepy dawg
08-21-2023, 02:52 PM
It's this, it's that, it's whatever, it's George Bush. It's ****ing hot as **** is what it is. People are doing anything they can to try to rationalize or downplay this shit. It is hot as hell and it scares the hell out of me. We're about at the peak of what we can take. My AC has flipped a breaker multiple times this year. It simply can't keep up. I don't know about 1930 whatever, but there's no way 2011 or any other year in my life has been anything like this year in Mississippi. Going over 100 degrees the has always been a pretty uncommon event in the Jackson area. For weeks it's been awesome if it's under 100. The other day it was 90 outside and it felt like spring compared to this 104 daily shit.

Really Clark?
08-21-2023, 03:02 PM
It's this, it's that, it's whatever, it's George Bush. It's ****ing hot as **** is what it is. People are doing anything they can to try to rationalize or downplay this shit. It is hot as hell and it scares the hell out of me. We're about at the peak of what we can take. My AC has flipped a breaker multiple times this year. It simply can't keep up. I don't know about 1930 whatever, but there's no way 2011 or any other year in my life has been anything like this year in Mississippi. Going over 100 degrees the has always been a pretty uncommon event in the Jackson area. For weeks it's been awesome if it's under 100. The other day it was 90 outside and it felt like spring compared to this 104 daily shit.

We go over 100 a lot more than you are thinking. 2000 and 2007 both have higher recorded temp than we've had so far. 2000 we had 106, 107 on back to back days. The 4 hottest recorded days in Jackson, 107, were in 1925 twice, 1930, and 2000. I do think we get close to that this week. I remember the 1980 summer where we had a lot of unseasonal temp days.

Coach34
08-21-2023, 03:08 PM
2011 it was 100 or higher almost every day of August. Hottest I've ever been

Commercecomet24
08-21-2023, 03:10 PM
We go over 100 a lot more than you are thinking. 2000 and 2007 both have higher recorded temp than we've had so far. 2000 we had 106, 107 on back to back days. The 4 hottest recorded days in Jackson, 107, were in 1925 twice, 1930, and 2000. I do think we get close to that this week. I remember the 1980 summer where we had a lot of unseasonal temp days.

I remember 1980 to well! I had a summer job helping clear land for one of my dads friends and then playing ball in the evenings. That's one of the hottest summers ever!

Really Clark?
08-21-2023, 03:17 PM
I remember 1980 to well! I had a summer job helping clear land for one of my dads friends and then playing ball in the evenings. That's one of the hottest summers ever!

It was brutal. Worked a Christmas tree farm cutting and trimming during the day and playing ball at night.

Commercecomet24
08-21-2023, 03:20 PM
It was brutal. Worked a Christmas tree farm cutting and trimming during the day and playing ball at night.

Funny how so many of us from that era grew up the same way. Wasn't no sitting in the house playing video games in the ac, lol! That summer was smokin' hot and i'd give anything to be in that kind of shape again!

Really Clark?
08-21-2023, 03:27 PM
Funny how so many of us from that era grew up the same way. Wasn't no sitting in the house playing video games in the ac, lol! That summer was smokin' hot and i'd give anything to be in that kind of shape again!

Ha! Yeah nobody played video games, we couldn't afford one anyway. Both sets of my grandparents didn't even have A/C. I would spend time with them over the summer and help when the gardens were coming in. You just dealt with it. But my cousins and I could work all day and run all night. Best shape I was ever in.

Travelingdawg
08-21-2023, 03:28 PM
Pushed wheelbarrow loads of brick and mud for brick layers. I was 6?2? 175# not an oz of fat lol. Worked 10 to 12 hr days.

Really Clark?
08-21-2023, 03:31 PM
Pushed wheelbarrow loads of brick and mud for brick layers. I was 6?2? 175# not an oz of fat lol. Worked 10 to 12 hr days.

Dang right you had no fat on you. It couldn't cling to all the sweat anyway. Ha

Commercecomet24
08-21-2023, 03:37 PM
Ha! Yeah nobody played video games, we couldn't afford one anyway. Both sets of my grandparents didn't even have A/C. I would spend time with them over the summer and help when the gardens were coming in. You just dealt with it. But my cousins and I could work all day and run all night. Best shape I was ever in.

We grew up exactly the same!!!

DownwardDawg
08-21-2023, 03:38 PM
Here in middle Tennessee, it was much hotter last summer. We've had some hot days but we had weeks of it last year. Last week our highs were upper 80's. Next week they saying mid 80's for high.

DownwardDawg
08-21-2023, 03:43 PM

I was fortunate. I got the opportunity to work on my uncle's tobacco farm in South Georgia that summer. It was awesome. ***

Commercecomet24
08-21-2023, 03:44 PM
Here in middle Tennessee, it was much hotter last summer. We've had some hot days but we had weeks of it last year. Last week our highs were upper 80's. Next week they saying mid 80's for high.

Come on back down to Jones County Downward and we can fix that fall weather for you, lol!

DownwardDawg
08-21-2023, 03:45 PM
Come on back down to Jones County Downward and we can fix that fall weather for you, lol!

Hahahaha!!! Uuummmmm.........NOPE!!!!

Really Clark?
08-21-2023, 03:47 PM
I was fortunate. I got the opportunity to work on my uncle's tobacco farm in South Georgia that summer. It was awesome. ***

Got all the chew you want though! Lol

DownwardDawg
08-21-2023, 03:50 PM
Got all the chew you want though! Lol

Absolutely!!!! Endless supply! Lol

sleepy dawg
08-21-2023, 04:42 PM
2011 it was 100 or higher almost every day of August. Hottest I've ever been

This August has already surpassed the August 2011 year in high and average. Obviously, the average could still end up lower, but as of now we're above it now.

Tater
08-21-2023, 04:59 PM
Look fellas. All I'm saying is that the high for Wednesday where I'm at is 99?. It's not supposed to get to the triple digits in Wisconsin. That shit just ain't right. Giant snowstorm in Mississippi just ain't right. Ain't anything we can control really, it's up to corps who don't give a ****. So I'm just here to bitch that it's hot and I felt like I was starting up a Mississippi Summer again.

msstate7
08-21-2023, 05:43 PM
Got me interested in record level temps, so I googled record temps by state. What I found is wiki, so hopefully this is accurate. If it is, I find it interesting that no state's record is in 2023 (assuming it's up to date), and only 4 states are in the 2000s.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/U.S._state_and_territory_temperature_extremes

Not saying this proves anything, but I do find it interesting that most of the records are quite old.

Pancho
08-21-2023, 08:22 PM
I figure it'll snow several times in MS this upcoming winter

Coach34
08-21-2023, 08:39 PM
This August has already surpassed the August 2011 year in high and average. Obviously, the average could still end up lower, but as of now we're above it now.

Not here in Shreve its not. Only 2 days that month were under 100 and that was 98 and 97

https://climatespy.com/climate/summary/united-states/louisiana/barksdale-afb/august/2011

2011 was ridiculous.

Pancho
08-21-2023, 08:45 PM
funny thing about the weather is it always be changing........polar bears are thriving even though al gore said they'd be extinct by 2005

Cowbell
08-21-2023, 11:45 PM
Couple things:

The global community came together.....now that's funny Beardo!!

99jc
08-22-2023, 05:51 AM

you are missing the point. this is global warming its not just records broke in the usa its all over the world! it is ignorant to say its not happening!

Pancho
08-22-2023, 06:03 AM
wait til there are a few heavy snow storms somewhere in the world and all a sudden the earth will be dangerously lost in a heap of global cooling. It's like writing a book but changing the characters and then also having to change the title of the book to fit the new criteria.

Really Clark?
08-22-2023, 07:26 AM
you are missing the point. this is global warming its not just records broke in the usa its all over the world! it is ignorant to say its not happening!

I think the point most have a problem with is that you have periods of time where you find warming or cooling trends that were as bad or worse. Including worldwide. And when those data points occur in the past that human carbon footprint could not have been the cause, logically you have to ask how much is this completely a natural event cycle.

But for the ones who are really concerned about it and want possible ways to legitimately try and curb carbon emissions, the answer is not and never will be working from the climate change political playbook. It is not pure science it's an agenda driven scientific theory.

The first and best place to start is education and increasing the income level of impoverished countries. Because at the end of the day, carbon footprint and environmental concerns are first world problems. Third world people are trying to survive and will burn whatever cheap fuel they have and can afford to do so. Get them to better economical and educational levels, that leads them to develop better ways of generating power and heat, etc. Won't happen overnight but multiple studies, including a major think tank multinational UN study, point to this as the actual need for the global community. Climate change didn't even make the Top 100 of global problems but acknowledged that addressing the real problems would have a significant impact on actual human climate / environmental negative use.

RocketDawg
08-22-2023, 08:02 AM

I believe it's called "climate change" these days.

msstate7
08-22-2023, 08:08 AM
1880 is where recorded temperature begins. Some Christians believe the earth is 6000 years old, and most everyone else says millions. Let's just roll with 6000 and 1 million...

143/6000 = .0238
143/1000000 = .000143

These seem like really poor sample sizes to me.

RocketDawg
08-22-2023, 08:20 AM
1880 is where recorded temperature begins. Some Christians believe the earth is 6000 years old, and most everyone else says millions. Let's just roll with 6000 and 1 million...

143/6000 = .0238
143/1000000 = .000143

What's the 143? I must have missed it in the thread discussion. And the Earth is about 4.5 billion years old, not one million. That makes your point even better.

Got it - 143 is the years of climate measurement. Duh. :)

Tater
08-22-2023, 10:20 AM

143/6000 = .0238
143/1000000 = .000143

Scientist can tell weather patterns much farther back than that based on sedimentation and other factors.

How? Well I'm not gonna get into the how because any sufficiently advanced science appears like magic (or bullshit) to people who don't have a clue on it.

Tater
08-22-2023, 10:25 AM
I think the point most have a problem with is that you have periods of time where you find warming or cooling trends that were as bad or worse. Including worldwide. And when those data points occur in the past that human carbon footprint could not have been the cause, logically you have to ask how much is this completely a natural event cycle.

But for the ones who are really concerned about it and want possible ways to legitimately try and curb carbon emissions, the answer is not and never will be working from the climate change political playbook. It is not pure science it's an agenda driven scientific theory.

The first and best place to start is education and increasing the income level of impoverished countries. Because at the end of the day, carbon footprint and environmental concerns are first world problems. Third world people are trying to survive and will burn whatever cheap fuel they have and can afford to do so. Get them to better economical and educational levels, that leads them to develop better ways of generating power and heat, etc. Won't happen overnight but multiple studies, including a major think tank multinational UN study, point to this as the actual need for the global community. Climate change didn't even make the Top 100 of global problems but acknowledged that addressing the real problems would have a significant impact on actual human climate / environmental negative use.

What agenda are the people who say "hey maybe we shouldn't kill the earth" driving? What's the worst case scenario if they are in charge? Earth is healthier and they make a bunch of money and we show global cohesion? As opposed to now when oil / fossil fuel based agenda is being driven and we're potentially killing the planet and they are making a bunch of money in control?

Coach34
08-22-2023, 10:29 AM

I'm not missing anything. I know we have "climate change". The climate has changed for the Earth since the beginning of time. What I dont believe is:

1. We are as people causing all the climate change
2. Electric cars are the answer when we use oil and gas to make electricity. Upping the amount of electricity we'll need for that is astronomical- so all we will be doing is using oil and gas in a different way.
3. Speaking of electric cars- how about all that strip mining that is necessary to make the batteries? The batteries that are really bad for the environment once they are of no use anymore
4. Nuclear energy is being ignored when it is a cleaner energy source. Not as much money to be made off of it- so it's not pushed by MSM.
5. How funny it is that people with all this "climate change" info have been purchasing beach houses right on the ocean. They surely dont seem to worry about rising oceans affecting their purchases.

It's all a grift. Lawmakers take lobbyist money to pass green energy crap and then invest in the green energy companies. They then sell the stocks at the higher price once the news has blown the story up- and then the company goes belly up. Lawmakers bank that green though. (Pelosi and some others just got blasted for doing this)

BeardoMSU
08-22-2023, 10:58 AM
Scientist can tell weather patterns much farther back than that.

Atmospheric isotope data from polar ice-cores, for example. Data going back over 700,000 years. Amazing stuff.

Extendedcab
08-22-2023, 11:04 AM
I'm not missing anything. I know we have "climate change". The climate has changed for the Earth since the beginning of time. What I dont believe is:

1. We are as people causing all the climate change
2. Electric cars are the answer when we use oil and gas to make electricity. Upping the amount of electricity we'll need for that is astronomical- so all we will be doing is using oil and gas in a different way.
3. Speaking of electric cars- how about all that strip mining that is necessary to make the batteries? The batteries that are really bad for the environment once they are of no use anymore
4. Nuclear energy is being ignored when it is a cleaner energy source. Not as much money to be made off of it- so it's not pushed by MSM.
5. How funny it is that people with all this "climate change" info have been purchasing beach houses right on the ocean. They surely dont seem to worry about rising oceans affecting their purchases.

It's all a grift. Lawmakers take lobbyist money to pass green energy crap and then invest in the green energy companies. They then sell the stocks at the higher price once the news has blown the story up- and then the company goes belly up. Lawmakers bank that green though. (Pelosi and some others just got blasted for doing this)

And yet we keep on re-electing these same old baffoons! We all like to bitch but we never seem to do anything about it - why?

msstate7
08-22-2023, 11:24 AM
Atmospheric isotope data from polar ice-cores, for example. Data going back over 700,000 years. Amazing stuff.

And here's what their estimated data chart looks like...

https://i.postimg.cc/PJWjPLpg/IMG-3466.jpg (https://postimg.cc/gL2572Ks)

https://www.climate.gov/news-features/climate-qa/whats-hottest-earths-ever-been

Really Clark?
08-22-2023, 11:32 AM
What agenda are the people who say "hey maybe we shouldn't kill the earth" driving? What's the worst case scenario if they are in charge? Earth is healthier and they make a bunch of money and we show global cohesion? As opposed to now when oil / fossil fuel based agenda is being driven and we're potentially killing the planet and they are making a bunch of money in control?

When the science is being made to work toward a political ideology, it loses its meaning. And the ones who actually care and have the correct ideas that would work, they don't get a voice at the table. That's what I mean by agenda driven political science. The answer is very complex, the ones who are biggest abusers globally either don't care or can't afford to care. If people want change globally, you have to acknowledge that until those things are addressed, abuse will still take place. I think Hydrogen may be one of the better long term solutions but the technology is not there yet but I believe that it could be a really good answer. The nuclear technology is getting better and some new breakthroughs are making it even cleaner than before. I believe that actually preserving ecosystems will give us better results. I do I believe we are warming, yes. Do I believe that a significant portion of the warming is natural? Yes. Do I believe we have contributed to a percentage increase above normal trend? Yes. How much? The scientists don't agree on that even or can't quantify it because looking back in history shows those events have occurred before that had nothing to do with man. It's a complex issue that honestly will not work with a global answer. It has to be segmented. And again, if you look at the true global problems, climate change is not the most prevalent issue that needs to be addressed on that scale. There are others more pressing with easier answers to those problems and as a byproduct, environmental issues become increasingly more prevalent to those countries over time.

Ranchdawg
08-22-2023, 11:38 AM
Climate change, hotter than ______ you fill in the blank, records being broken ect ect. All I know the Thursday before 1st game the high is forecasted to be 88degrees and low 67 in Starkville. I?m loving that forecast. I?m ready to strap on the shoulder pads and lace up the cleats let?s play some FOOTBALL

Tater
08-22-2023, 11:39 AM
When the science is being made to work toward a political ideology, it loses its meaning. And the ones who actually care and have the correct ideas that would work, they don't get a voice at the table. That's what I mean by agenda driven political science. The answer is very complex, the ones who are biggest abusers globally either don't care or can't afford to care. If people want change globally, you have to acknowledge that until those things are addressed, abuse will still take place. I think Hydrogen may be one of the better long term solutions but the technology is not there yet but I believe that it could be a really good answer. The nuclear technology is getting better and some new breakthroughs are making it even cleaner than before. I believe that actually preserving ecosystems will give us better results. I do I believe we are warming, yes. Do I believe that a significant portion of the warming is natural? Yes. Do I believe we have contributed to a percentage increase above normal trend? Yes. How much? The scientists don't agree on that even or can't quantify it because looking back in history shows those events have occurred before that had nothing to do with man. It's a complex issue that honestly will not work with a global answer. It has to be segmented. And again, if you look at the true global problems, climate change is not the most prevalent issue that needs to be addressed on that scale. There are others more pressing with easier answers to those problems and as a byproduct, environmental issues become increasingly more prevalent to those countries over time.

You didn't answer my question. What's the difference that makes us worse in having people who think climate change is a problem in charge versus those who don't.

Really Clark?
08-22-2023, 11:56 AM
You didn't answer my question. What's the difference that makes us worse in having people who think climate change is a problem in charge versus those who don't.

I did answer the question. The true people who actually have a global view of what are the real problems and what is needed to be done first is who I was speaking of in the first post. Nothing wrong with having a concern for the climate. But on a global scale of issues, climate change is not at the top. Not Top 10 either. It's well down the list of what problems and what answers actually can make the world a better place. Some of those answers are actually achievable quicker as well. A byproduct would address environmental issues sooner than many believe.

I think we have too many from various ideologies who run around with answers that immolate their politics looking for problems to implement their answer. That's completely reverse of how real answers to questions come about.

BeardoMSU
08-22-2023, 12:05 PM
And here's what their estimated data chart looks like...

https://i.postimg.cc/PJWjPLpg/IMG-3466.jpg (https://postimg.cc/gL2572Ks)

https://www.climate.gov/news-features/climate-qa/whats-hottest-earths-ever-been

Show that chart to your 6000 year old Earth friends***

Coach34
08-22-2023, 12:39 PM
And yet we keep on re-electing these same old baffoons! We all like to bitch but we never seem to do anything about it - why?

Yes. And it's BOTH parties doing it

Extendedcab
08-22-2023, 01:02 PM
Yes. And it's BOTH parties doing it

I heard that!

the_real_MSU_is_us
08-22-2023, 01:41 PM
Lot of poor arguments in here.

1) yes there's money to be made on the "global warming is real" side, but let's not pretend oil companies don't also have an incentive to buy scientists and pretend man made climate change isn't a thing.

The question is not "who has money in their side", because they both do. The question is "who has the science on their side". I'm not a climate scientist, so all I can do is look to them. And they pretty much all -even climate scientists from small countries with little Govt grant funding- agree man made climate change is a thing.

2) "I don't believe man can change the climate"- why not? If we detonated all our nukes we obviously would. We've hunted various animals to extinction. Our plastic has made its way into almost every living being. Why's it hard to believe pumping billions of tons of carbon out of the ground and burning it would affect the atmosphere?

3) "the earth has been hotter before"- yes, it has. But that's a far slower process where nature has time to adjust- this is over a few decades, totally different for animals and human infrastructure to cope with as it happens. Humanity and most animals will survive, but why go though chaos and exoenses later when we could avoid it with less money spent today?

4) "we just had snowstorms in Texas"- yeah because climate change produced a massive storm that knocked the polar vortex south. Warmer oceans = worse storms = more chaos, even when it comes to cold.

5) "if we did away with gas cars we'd just have to make electricity with coal!"- what if I told you renewable and nuclear exist? Moreover, burning coal to make electricity is way more efficient than burning gas in cars. The coal plant doesn't have to worry about weight, size, or being reliable in a variety of rev ranges- they just design it for efficiency and low pollution. Cars have a lot of other considerations and less control over theor opperating conditions.

6) "I remember one summer when it was hotter than now!"- nobody is saying every year will break all the previous records for everywhere. Freak hot -or cold- seasons have absolutely always been a thing. The difference is that this past 10 year temperature average was hotter than any 10 year average we've lived though, and the next 10 years will be hotter still. That's what matters- the gradual average climb up. But individual records in individual places can still last a while, yes.

7) "those politicians are just using this for their own self interest"- YES! 100% they "never let a good crisis go to waste" as the saying goes... but that doesn't mean there is no crisis. They may be liars and corrupt and untrustworthy... but that doesn't mean literally everything they say on every topic is false. If science aligns with their agenda they'll happily use that science, but the science is still real.

8) "when science is used to support a political ideology it looses its meaning"- it shouldn't, thats a you problem. Science is science, politics is politics. If your most hated politician said "the sky is blue", it's either true or it's not, and youd be a fool to pretend the sky is green just because you dont lile the messenger. NOW, I can agree with what a politician is saying regarding the science but disagree with their political solutions. For example, I do believe in man made climate change but I don't agree with giving Govt the power to micromanage our industry in the name of reducing greenhouse gases. But I don't suddenly not believe scientific evidence just because I don't like the person saying said science.

9) "The media blows this thing into a bigger deal than it really is"- yeah, because all the media cares about is getting your attention, and being overdramatic is how they do that. But being overdramatic doesn't mean there's nothing at all to worry about or fix though.

10) "I remember when I head a climate prediction that didn't come true"- yeah, climate science changes as we get more data and knowledge. Some stuff we used to think we now know is wrong. That doesn't mean there's no truth in what's being said now.

But most of the time those ridiculous predictions aren't the scientists fault. They'll publish a page that says "we fed our model X Y and Z assumptions about what will happen in the future, and it said there's a range of outcomes, with a 1% chance of the worst case Q happening" and it's the media who then goes SCIENTISTS SAY Q WILL HAPPEN!!!!!! Then people like you see Q fail to happen and think all scientists are quacks. They aren't. It's just the media creating clickbait.

11) "we've got waaaay bigger problems than climate change"- ok, and? That doesn't mean we shouldn't fix climate change. Moreover, most of the people who say things like that aren't doing crap to solve those "bigger issues" either. They're typically just looking for an excuse to not do anything, and saying "we've got bigger issues" provides that excuse.

To be clear, I'm not even a doomer. I have no idea how bad climate change will get, because I don't study this and I cant trust the lying media to tell me. I'm just addressing the God awful logic used to pretend all is well

Tater
08-22-2023, 01:47 PM
I did answer the question. The true people who actually have a global view of what are the real problems and what is needed to be done first is who I was speaking of in the first post. Nothing wrong with having a concern for the climate. But on a global scale of issues, climate change is not at the top. Not Top 10 either. It's well down the list of what problems and what answers actually can make the world a better place. Some of those answers are actually achievable quicker as well. A byproduct would address environmental issues sooner than many believe.

I think we have too many from various ideologies who run around with answers that immolate their politics looking for problems to implement their answer. That's completely reverse of how real answers to questions come about.

I guess you're comparing them to an ideal where we have people in charge care about actual problems. If Climate Change isn't top 10 to you and you think having focus elsewhere is where we should be then I can respect that opinion. I fully disagree that it's not top 3, but at least we understand each other and can agree to disagree there.

Where I'd rather steer the convo is back to the ideal. I know for a fact we don't have anywhere close to ideal leadership for any ideology. Most things done are to serve corporate interests. I can agree that having an ideal group running it is better than a corporate interest group who benefits from green policies and ideologies. But can you agree that a corporate interest group who benefits from green policies and ideologies is better than the trash we have running now? If they're gonna do nothing for us, at least try to tidy up the place.

DownwardDawg
08-22-2023, 01:53 PM
Lot of poor arguments in here.

1) yes there's money to be made on the "global warming is real" side, but let's not pretend oil companies don't also have an incentive to buy scientists and pretend man made climate change isn't a thing.

The question is not "who has money in their side", because they both do. The question is "who has the science on their side". I'm not a climate scientist, so all I can do is look to them. And they pretty much all -even climate scientists from small countries with little Govt grant funding- agree man made climate change is a thing.

2) "I don't believe man can change the climate"- why not? If we detonated all our nukes we obviously would. We've hunted various animals to extinction. Our plastic has made its way into almost every living being. Why's it hard to believe pumping billions of tons of carbon out of the ground and burning it would affect the atmosphere?

3) "the earth has been hotter before"- yes, it has. But that's a far slower process where nature has time to adjust- this is over a few decades, totally different for animals and human infrastructure to cope with as it happens. Humanity and most animals will survive, but why go though chaos and exoenses later when we could avoid it with less money spent today?

4) "we just had snowstorms in Texas"- yeah because climate change produced a massive storm that knocked the polar vortex south. Warmer oceans = worse storms = more chaos, even when it comes to cold.

5) "if we did away with gas cars we'd just have to make electricity with coal!"- what if I told you renewable and nuclear exist? Moreover, burning coal to make electricity is way more efficient than burning gas in cars. The coal plant doesn't have to worry about weight, size, or being reliable in a variety of rev ranges- they just design it for efficiency and low pollution. Cars have a lot of other considerations and less control over theor opperating conditions.

6) "I remember one summer when it was hotter than now!"- nobody is saying every year will break all the previous records for everywhere. Freak hot -or cold- seasons have absolutely always been a thing. The difference is that this past 10 year temperature average was hotter than any 10 year average we've lived though, and the next 10 years will be hotter still. That's what matters- the gradual average climb up. But individual records in individual places can still last a while, yes.

7) "those politicians are just using this for their own self interest"- YES! 100% they "never let a good crisis go to waste" as the saying goes... but that doesn't mean there is no crisis. They may be liars and corrupt and untrustworthy... but that doesn't mean literally everything they say on every topic is false. If science aligns with their agenda they'll happily use that science, but the science is still real.

8) "when science is used to support a political ideology it looses its meaning"- it shouldn't, thats a you problem. Science is science, politics is politics. If your most hated politician said "the sky is blue", it's either true or it's not, and youd be a fool to pretend the sky is green just because you dont lile the messenger. NOW, I can agree with what a politician is saying regarding the science but disagree with their political solutions. For example, I do believe in man made climate change but I don't agree with giving Govt the power to micromanage our industry in the name of reducing greenhouse gases. But I don't suddenly not believe scientific evidence just because I don't like the person saying said science.

9) "The media blows this thing into a bigger deal than it really is"- yeah, because all the media cares about is getting your attention, and being overdramatic is how they do that. But being overdramatic doesn't mean there's nothing at all to worry about or fix though.

10) "I remember when I head a climate prediction that didn't come true"- yeah, climate science changes as we get more data and knowledge. Some stuff we used to think we now know is wrong. That doesn't mean there's no truth in what's being said now.

But most of the time those ridiculous predictions aren't the scientists fault. They'll publish a page that says "we fed our model X Y and Z assumptions about what will happen in the future, and it said there's a range of outcomes, with a 1% chance of the worst case Q happening" and it's the media who then goes SCIENTISTS SAY Q WILL HAPPEN!!!!!! Then people like you see Q fail to happen and think all scientists are quacks. They aren't. It's just the media creating clickbait.

11) "we've got waaaay bigger problems than climate change"- ok, and? That doesn't mean we shouldn't fix climate change. Moreover, most of the people who say things like that aren't doing crap to solve those "bigger issues" either. They're typically just looking for an excuse to not do anything, and saying "we've got bigger issues" provides that excuse.

To be clear, I'm not even a doomer. I have no idea how bad climate change will get, because I don't study this and I cant trust the lying media to tell me. I'm just addressing the God awful logic used to pretend all is well

Your first sentence disqualifies the entire rest of your post. They are "poor arguments" because they aren't your opinion.

Tater
08-22-2023, 01:55 PM
Your first sentence disqualifies the entire rest of your post. They are "poor arguments" because they aren't your opinion.

An argument can be poor if you agree / disagree with it. There's literally a sport of Debate that judges this.

DownwardDawg
08-22-2023, 01:56 PM
If you guys were able to visit a deep water production platform in the Gulf of Mexico, you would be amazed at just how "clean" this energy actually is. Very little carbon footprint and the corporations are working hard to make it even cleaner. The fact is that oil and gas will be here and will be the best energy available until your grandchildren long gone.

Tater
08-22-2023, 02:01 PM
If you guys were able to visit a deep water production platform in the Gulf of Mexico, you would be amazed at just how "clean" this energy actually is. Very little carbon footprint and the corporations are working hard to make it even cleaner. The fact is that oil and gas will be here and will be the best energy available until your grandchildren long gone.

China is a bigger pollutant and I have a Petroleum Engineering degree from State. I've got a pretty firm grasp on knowing what the boogeyman is. We've regulated a ton in our Oil and Gas industry, those changes weren't willingly made.

Really Clark?
08-22-2023, 02:13 PM
I guess you're comparing them to an ideal where we have people in charge care about actual problems. If Climate Change isn't top 10 to you and you think having focus elsewhere is where we should be then I can respect that opinion. I fully disagree that it's not top 3, but at least we understand each other and can agree to disagree there.

Where I'd rather steer the convo is back to the ideal. I know for a fact we don't have anywhere close to ideal leadership for any ideology. Most things done are to serve corporate interests. I can agree that having an ideal group running it is better than a corporate interest group who benefits from green policies and ideologies. But can you agree that a corporate interest group who benefits from green policies and ideologies is better than the trash we have running now? If they're gonna do nothing for us, at least try to tidy up the place.

To address the first paragraph, that opinion on where climate change actually ranks on large global issues was taken from studies and namely a large multinational / multi educational study done by extremely smart individuals from various backgrounds at the behest of the UN. I'm drawing a good bit of my opinions from them and their conclusions. First and foremost was educational and economical rise of third world countries was by far the biggest need global and what that actually does at every level, globally, nationally, locally and individually. But I do share that opinion but it wasn't from a place of let me find a study that matches what I believe. If that makes sense.

I don't disagree with what you are saying in the second paragraph in a wide spread sense. I guess the question I keep going back to is who are the biggest environmental abusers? Certain corporations, absolutely! But on a global scale China by far the worse emitter, triple what we do and has increased their emissions by 33% while we have reduced ours by 12% since 2010. In fact it takes the other 4 largest emitters to match China. Where is the answer to that? Extremely complex and no good solution.

To get back on topic though, a good balance of innovation, initiatives, education and partnership between corporations and the people that doesn't harm the lower class financially is the best policy in my opinion. Not a rush to solve a problem that while it exists, is not as big of an issue as it has been politicized to be. Give technology the time to give us sound long term solutions. We need corporations to foot those bills as well so we have to find that partnership and a synergy that works for both and not at the expense of the regular working individuals

the_real_MSU_is_us
08-22-2023, 02:28 PM

No, they're poor arguments because they have massive logical fallacies lol. Again, I don't even have strong convictions on the topic. I think it's clear from the scientists man is contributing to climate change. I can believe that our ecosystem is delicate and a seemingly small change can cause a lot of harm. That's it for my closely held beliefs in the issue. How bad will it get? How much can any given policy help? How does this issue rank overall? How urgent is it? What % of climate change is man made vs natural? I have no real opinion due to lack of research.

But sure, assume I'm an ideologue after 1 sentence and ignore the rest of the post. That's sound reasoning for sure

the_real_MSU_is_us
08-22-2023, 02:32 PM
To address the first paragraph, that opinion on where climate change actually ranks on large global issues was taken from studies and namely a large multinational / multi educational study done by extremely smart individuals from various backgrounds at the behest of the UN. I'm drawing a good bit of my opinions from them and their conclusions. First and foremost was educational and economical rise of third world countries was by far the biggest need global and what that actually does at every level, globally, nationally, locally and individually. But I do share that opinion but it wasn't from a place of let me find a study that matches what I believe. If that makes sense.

I don't disagree with what you are saying in the second paragraph in a wide spread sense. I guess the question I keep going back to is who are the biggest environmental abusers? Certain corporations, absolutely! But on a global scale China by far the worse emitter, triple what we do and has increased their emissions by 33% while we have reduced ours by 12% since 2010. In fact it takes the other 4 largest emitters to match China. Where is the answer to that? Extremely complex and no good solution.

To get back on topic though, a good balance of innovation, initiatives, education and partnership between corporations and the people that doesn't harm the lower class financially is the best policy in my opinion. Not a rush to solve a problem that while it exists, is not as big of an issue as it has been politicized to be. Give technology the time to give us sound long term solutions. We need corporations to foot those bills as well so we have to find that partnership and a synergy that works for both and not at the expense of the regular working individuals

Some of the stuff about China is misleading. Yes they pollute the most, but they have a lot of people.

Per capita, isn't America still the #1 greenhouse emitter?

DownwardDawg
08-22-2023, 02:54 PM
China is a bigger pollutant and I have a Petroleum Engineering degree from State. I've got a pretty firm grasp on knowing what the boogeyman is. We've regulated a ton in our Oil and Gas industry, those changes weren't willingly made.

But some of the oil and gas companies are striving to become much cleaner when it comes to carbon emissions. Obviously production is the number one priority, as it should be because this is a business, but the Majors are doing a lot towards cleaning up their carbon emissions and producing cleaner energy.

the_real_MSU_is_us
08-22-2023, 03:01 PM
But some of the oil and gas companies are striving to become much cleaner when it comes to carbon emissions. Obviously production is the number one priority, as it should be because this is a business, but the Majors are doing a lot towards cleaning up their carbon emissions and producing cleaner energy.

... because they understand Govt action around climate change is the biggest threat to their business, yes.

Exxon alone has spent 10s of millions promoting think tanks and scientists that argue against global warming. Just like tobacco companies used to hire scientist to say smoking doesn't cause cancer, so oil companies have for climate change.

DownwardDawg
08-22-2023, 03:20 PM
... because they understand Govt action around climate change is the biggest threat to their business, yes.

Exxon alone has spent 10s of millions promoting think tanks and scientists that argue against global warming. Just like tobacco companies used to hire scientist to say smoking doesn't cause cancer, so oil companies have for climate change.

Meh..... since I'm in Leadership for one of the worlds largest oil and gas companies, I respectfully disagree and I'm also removing myself from this thread. Y'all carry on.

Really Clark?
08-22-2023, 04:14 PM
Some of the stuff about China is misleading. Yes they pollute the most, but they have a lot of people.

Per capita, isn't America still the #1 greenhouse emitter?

No we are not by the 2021 numbers.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/270508/co2-emissions-per-capita-by-country/

Tater
08-22-2023, 04:59 PM
Meh..... since I'm in Leadership for one of the worlds largest oil and gas companies, I respectfully disagree and I'm also removing myself from this thread. Y'all carry on.

This isn't an oil and gas specific attack. This is just simple business. Goal of business is to make money #1. If it didn't make money (not getting fined / actually being allowed to exist) then businesses wouldn't do it. A corp would pay you a quarter an hour if it was legal. That's just the cold unfeeling reality of business.

In the US, it's bad for business in some industries to not go green.

Tater
08-22-2023, 05:06 PM

See this is where I don't think you're seeing how big of a picture I'd make it. Let's play pretend and say I'm President and have a favorable house / senate super majority.

My priorities are
1. Fix Poverty (make people able to afford to live)
2. Fix Human Rights (make people want to live)
3. Fix Sustainability of our Home (make people able to live indefinitely)

And part of my "green" policies would be drastic and potentially unpopular in the consequences. But I'd wean us off the cheap China build teat. I'm talking embargo until they get their shit together. But not just that in a vacuum. Invest in America and bring up the floor to make people able to support themselves. Bring back a sort of isolationist policy and have high import taxes. I could go on and on here, but I don't think the answer is fully attacking oil and gas, it's finding sustainable ways to not need oil and gas. One good one is an embargo on China.

the_real_MSU_is_us
08-22-2023, 06:40 PM
No we are not by the 2021 numbers.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/270508/co2-emissions-per-capita-by-country/

Thank you for the data. We look to be 5th, however all those countries are tiny middle eastern nations. We are the worst of any big nation for sure.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/270499/co2-emissions-in-selected-countries/

We're #2 in total CO2 and about half of China's total... however, China has over 4x the population we do, so it seems we're way worse than them PER CAPITA, which is what I was specifically asking about

It seems hypocrital of some in here to point the climate change finger at China as we create 2x the crap as them per person...

Coach34
08-22-2023, 07:27 PM
Thank you for the data. We look to be 5th, however all those countries are tiny middle eastern nations. We are the worst of any big nation for sure.

We're #2 in total CO2 and about half of China's total... however, China has over 4x the population we do, so it seems we're way worse than them PER CAPITA, which is what I was specifically asking about

It seems hypocrital of some in here to point the climate change finger at China as we create 2x the crap as them per person...

But dont we overproduce in order to help countries that cannot? That has to be factored in. We have some of the best farmland on the planet- let's not punish the tractors for doing their work to help other countries around the world. We produce CO2 so they stay alive or so they dont fall into a 3rd world status- ORRRRRRR- to keep them out of the arms of China

RocketDawg
08-22-2023, 07:31 PM
I figure it'll snow several times in MS this upcoming winter

Yes, we've had fog several mornings in August. One foggy day = one snowy day.

RocketDawg
08-22-2023, 07:38 PM

Incredible, considering the Earth is only 6,000 years old. :D

RocketDawg
08-22-2023, 07:44 PM

The extreme heat just hasn't made it here, at least until this week if the forecast verifies. So far, August has been 1.9 degrees F lower than normal.

Also, just checked the data for August 2011. Had one day at 101, and the monthly average was only 0.3 degrees F above normal. Quite hot, but nothing like central Mississippi apparently.

the_real_MSU_is_us
08-22-2023, 07:46 PM
But dont we overproduce in order to help countries that cannot? That has to be factored in. We have some of the best farmland on the planet- let's not punish the tractors for doing their work to help other countries around the world. We produce CO2 so they stay alive or so they dont fall into a 3rd world status- ORRRRRRR- to keep them out of the arms of China

Not saying you're wrong, but that level of analysis is probably very hard to find statistics on.

Moreover, it's a 2 way street. We may export wheat and meat, but China exports mass produced goods to us too. Hard to sort out.

Regardless, we are not some "clean" country that needs to get the slackers in shape. We are also one of the worst ourselves

Really Clark?
08-22-2023, 08:27 PM

Yes and no. When you start looking at EPI indexes China is by far worse in overall clean and Green friendly countries. Couple with the overall emissions, they score in the bottom 10 of all countries. They are the largest and most environmentally abusive of large nations. We are not even close to them when the indexes factor in per Capita rate. We have a ways to go, don't get me wrong, but our trends are to the better by a significant margin and in the top half of countries, they are still getting worse.

the_real_MSU_is_us
08-22-2023, 08:32 PM
Yes and no. When you start looking at EPI indexes China is by far worse in overall clean and Green friendly countries. Couple with the overall emissions, they score in the bottom 10 of all countries. They are the largest and most environmentally abusive of large nations. We are not even close to them when the indexes factor in per Capita rate. We have a ways to go, don't get me wrong, but our trends are to the better by a significant margin and in the top half of countries, they are still getting worse.

I'll yield to you as you've obviously done more research on this. I'll ammendment my memory of the topic from "we produce the most per capita" to "we produce a lot per capita but China is actually the worst"

ScoobaDawg
08-23-2023, 10:40 AM
10 days till football begins..and this is what everyone on here wants to talk about.....
To be fair. I'm glad to see the politics have for the most part stayed out...

Again. It's hot. it's damn hot. but the worst of summer is almost over thankfully.

Commercecomet24
08-23-2023, 10:49 AM
Hey just wanted to give everyone a headsup but we are under and excessive heat warning, lol!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/K2I7dZR7lh4

Really Clark?
08-23-2023, 12:11 PM
10 days till football begins..and this is what everyone on here wants to talk about.....

Again. It's hot. it's damn hot. but the worst of summer is almost over thankfully.

https://y.yarn.co/e8e30f34-fbeb-4261-8795-1095560a3d06_text.gif

Really Clark?
08-23-2023, 12:13 PM
Hey just wanted to give everyone a headsup but we are under and excessive heat warning, lol!!!!

Haha!! No kidding, yeah we are well aware it's excessive.

DownwardDawg
08-23-2023, 02:04 PM

Haha! It's 94 degrees up here and they are closing schools 2-3 hours early. Lol
Next week highs in the mid 80's.

Tater
08-23-2023, 02:17 PM

What's there to talk about with football? We're going 15-0 and winning it all. Everyone here pretty much agrees on that. Not much activity on here when people agree. When we disagree you get more + we've stayed away from problematic ad hominem attacks. This is actually solid discussion which shows growth.

Anyways dawgs by 90.

Really Clark?
08-23-2023, 02:23 PM
What's there to talk about with football? We're going 15-0 and winning it all. Everyone here pretty much agrees on that. Not much activity on here when people agree. When we disagree you get more + we've stayed away from problematic ad hominem attacks. This is actually solid discussion which shows growth.

Anyways dawgs by 90.

I like where your head's at my man!!!

Really Clark?
08-23-2023, 02:25 PM

94 degrees would feel like a cool fall evening right now to us. Hahaha

Commercecomet24
08-23-2023, 02:32 PM

LOL! You know its bad when you're looking at next weeks forecast and going "Hey it's only gonna be 95!!!"

Commercecomet24
08-23-2023, 02:32 PM

Anyways dawgs by 90.

Tater, my man!

RocketDawg
08-23-2023, 03:26 PM

I went to school in Meridian in the 50s and 60s. Our elementary school didn't have air-conditioning. The new junior high, Northwest, was all on one level and didn't have air-conditioning. It had a flat roof, and one time they ran lawn sprinklers on the roof but it didn't help much. High school was just the 11th and 12th grades and for the most part didn't have air-conditioning. But we made it just fine and as far as I know never closed or shut down early because it was hot. At State, the freshman dorms were not air conditioned, but the school year is mostly in the fall, winter, and spring so it didn't matter much. Later on, I was in Hamlin and Suttle and both were air-conditioned and it was like heaven. I was a co-op student and spent one summer in Hamlin when the AC was broken, and little to no ventilation.

RocketDawg
08-23-2023, 03:28 PM

It's hard to believe that football starts in 10 days. Then it will seem to be over in an instant.

DownwardDawg
08-23-2023, 05:47 PM
94 degrees would feel like a cool fall evening right now to us. Hahaha

Hahaha!!!

DownwardDawg
08-23-2023, 05:49 PM
LOL! You know its bad when you're looking at next weeks forecast and going "Hey it's only gonna be 95!!!"

Haha! Absolutely!!

Commercecomet24
08-23-2023, 10:50 PM
I went to school in Meridian in the 50s and 60s. Our elementary school didn't have air-conditioning. The new junior high, Northwest, was all on one level and didn't have air-conditioning. It had a flat roof, and one time they ran lawn sprinklers on the roof but it didn't help much. High school was just the 11th and 12th grades and for the most part didn't have air-conditioning. But we made it just fine and as far as I know never closed or shut down early because it was hot. At State, the freshman dorms were not air conditioned, but the school year is mostly in the fall, winter, and spring so it didn't matter much. Later on, I was in Hamlin and Suttle and both were air-conditioned and it was like heaven. I was a co-op student and spent one summer in Hamlin when the AC was broken, and little to no ventilation.

Fellow Wildcat here, Class of ?83. I went to Kate Griffin for jr high and no AC just fans, the 10th grade was at Harris, no AC and the 11th and 12th at MHS and like you said we made it just fine of course this was before the heat index was invented we just knew it was hot lol!

Tater
08-24-2023, 11:18 PM
Tater, my man!

How's recovery? Gonna make it to some games this year? I think Kentucky gonna be the only SEC home game I might not make it to.

Commercecomet24
08-25-2023, 08:51 AM
How's recovery? Gonna make it to some games this year? I think Kentucky gonna be the only SEC home game I might not make it to.

Thanks for asking. I'm finding out I don't heal like i did when i was younger. Everythings coming along pretty well except for the ankle fractures, but it's all good and i'll be fine just a little longer than I anticipated. Will be at the Arizona and lsu game for sure, hope to make a couple more.

DownwardDawg
08-25-2023, 12:26 PM
Great to hear! Yes it's much harder to heal these days. I think it's the weather!!!

Commercecomet24
08-25-2023, 12:30 PM
Great to hear! Yes it's much harder to heal these days. I think it's the weather!!!

Thanks, man! About 20 years ago I broke my ankle(same one) and tore all the ligaments in it playing softball. In 4 weeks time, i taped the sucker up tight and played in a tournament. Dont heal like that no more lol!

Coach34
08-25-2023, 01:12 PM
Thanks for asking. I'm finding out I don't heal like i did when i was younger.

Mannnn, who you tellin....

Commercecomet24
08-25-2023, 03:05 PM
Mannnn, who you tellin....

It's hard dealing with this aging thing, Coach! It ain't for pansies thats for sure!

Churchill
08-25-2023, 03:26 PM
Then there's this

https://climate.nasa.gov/news/3204/tonga-eruption-blasted-unprecedented-amount-of-water-into-stratosphere/

Tater
08-25-2023, 06:03 PM
Thanks for asking. I'm finding out I don't heal like i did when i was younger. Everythings coming along pretty well except for the ankle fractures, but it's all good and i'll be fine just a little longer than I anticipated. Will be at the Arizona and lsu game for sure, hope to make a couple more.

As long as that wrist is still good for ringing Cowbell, that's all Arnett needs outta ya. I'll be around the LSU game tailgating early and serving out the Spotted Cows. Let me know if you're gonna be in the Breakfast beer crowd.

the_real_MSU_is_us
08-25-2023, 08:47 PM
Then there's this

https://climate.nasa.gov/news/3204/tonga-eruption-blasted-unprecedented-amount-of-water-into-stratosphere/

"...and the huge amounts of water vapor from the eruption may have a small, temporary warming effect, since water vapor traps heat. The effect would dissipate when the extra water vapor cycles out of the stratosphere and would not be enough to noticeably exacerbate climate change effects."

RocketDawg
08-26-2023, 11:29 AM
Fellow Wildcat here, Class of ?83. I went to Kate Griffin for jr high and no AC just fans, the 10th grade was at Harris, no AC and the 11th and 12th at MHS and like you said we made it just fine of course this was before the heat index was invented we just knew it was hot lol!

Way before you, Commerce. I was class of 65. We had our 45th class reunion a few years ago, and oddly enough, I was the only one out of over 500 graduates who hadn't changed a bit ....

In the 60s, Harris was still the black school (hadn't yet integrated the schools there). Does Meridian now have two high schools, Meridian and Harris?

Commercecomet24
08-26-2023, 01:07 PM
Way before you, Commerce. I was class of 65. We had our 45th class reunion a few years ago, and oddly enough, I was the only one out of over 500 graduates who hadn't changed a bit ....

In the 60s, Harris was still the black school (hadn't yet integrated the schools there). Does Meridian now have two high schools, Meridian and Harris?

Yeah you?re just a little older, lol. I was born in 65. Harris has been closed down for awhile and so has KG. We used to have baseball practice in the Harris gym when there was inclimate weather. Ground balls come at you pretty hard off a gym floor.

We just had our 40th and funny thing I?m the only one who hasn?t changed a bit either!

State82
08-26-2023, 01:12 PM
Yeah you?re just a little older, lol. I was born in 65.

Young whipper-snapper. Ha!!

Commercecomet24
08-27-2023, 10:59 PM
As long as that wrist is still good for ringing Cowbell, that's all Arnett needs outta ya. I'll be around the LSU game tailgating early and serving out the Spotted Cows. Let me know if you're gonna be in the Breakfast beer crowd.

Thanks man! I don?t drink but I?d love to come by and say hello!

Pancho
08-28-2023, 05:52 AM

spotted cow sounds nice.......

Jack Lambert
08-28-2023, 09:18 AM
There has been a La Nina this year I believe making it hotter and dryer. Looks like it might turn into a El Nino. I believe that will make it colder and wetter in certain parts of the US. Weather guys can explain if there is one going on and whats the effects. I am not a weather man.

Tater
08-28-2023, 11:22 PM
Thanks man! I don?t drink but I?d love to come by and say hello!

For sure!