PDA

View Full Version : Lemon speaks...good stuff

Coach34
08-17-2023, 09:26 PM
Says Simmons and Auger are 100%....great news and expected.
Says Pico will be ready to get going after Christmas and that means he could be pitching in March- huge
Says Max Miller and Nate Williams have overcome their injuries and will compete.
And the money quote for me:

"People dont realize the Jurrangelos, the Colby Holcombes, the Nate Dohms, the Loftins are better than whats in the portal. They just have to pitch better." I think the combination of Coach Parker and being in the league for a year and understanding whats going on, those will be some really big pieces" (Now where have we heard this before around here hmmmmmm??????)

CadaverDawg
08-17-2023, 09:31 PM
Words are like deer tracks....they make mighty thin soup.

Cowbell
08-17-2023, 09:31 PM
Says Pico will be ready to get going after Christmas and that means he could be pitching in March- huge
Says Max Miller and Nate Williams have overcome their injuries and will compete.

"People dont realize the Jurrangelos, the Colby Holcombes, the Nate Dohms, the Loftins are better than whats in the portal. They just have to pitch better." I think the combination of Coach Parker and being in the league for a year and understanding whats going on, those will be some really big pieces" (Now where have we heard this before around here hmmmmmm??????)

He's not currently the guy you want to brag about siding with. But if you think there weren't other good options that could have been tempted into the portal, then that would shock me. We all know the pitchers we had last year should improve. But improving from atrocious ain't enough to make a total run. Not any more.

KOdawg1
08-17-2023, 09:34 PM
Meh, I'll probably care in February, but missing on literally every big target we went after in the portal sort of killed what little shit I still cared about with this team.

I'm in football and basketball mode. Hopefully baseball will improve next year. I'll believe it when I see it.

BigDawg81
08-17-2023, 09:51 PM

"People dont realize the Jurrangelos, the Colby Holcombes, the Nate Dohms, the Loftins are better than whats in the portal. They just have to pitch better." I think the combination of Coach Parker and being in the league for a year and understanding whats going on, those will be some really big pieces" (Now where have we heard this before around here hmmmmmm??????)Coach speak

Coach34
08-17-2023, 09:51 PM
Bookmark:

State will be be Top 3 in the SEC in draft picks next July.

msstate7
08-17-2023, 10:01 PM
Bookmark:

I doubt that.

maroonmania
08-17-2023, 10:31 PM
Bookmark:

Much more interested in how good our team is next year than I am in how many draft picks we have. A lot of guys with "potential" in college can get drafted. Heck, even Cerantola got drafted and he wasn't worth anything to our team while he was at State.

Cowbell
08-17-2023, 11:08 PM
Bookmark:

Will we be top 3 in wins? No. Book it.

Quaoarsking
08-17-2023, 11:28 PM
Bookmark:

Who cares? Wins are what matters. If we aren't hosting (or barely missing hosting), Lemonis should be gone, even if the whole team gets drafted.

CadaverDawg
08-17-2023, 11:34 PM
Who cares? Wins are what matters. If we aren't hosting (or barely missing hosting), Lemonis should be gone, even if the whole team gets drafted.

Yeah, it's even more embarrassing if we have a bunch of dudes get drafted high and STILL suck

R2Dawg
08-18-2023, 05:55 AM
Coach speak. What are you gonna say when you missed on all those you went after?

Just show me the improvement come spring. Hoping.....but not betting the bank.

99jc
08-18-2023, 06:06 AM
Lemondick don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining!

State82
08-18-2023, 07:08 AM
Words are like deer tracks....they make mighty thin soup.
Word.

basedog
08-18-2023, 07:36 AM
Time will tell, it's nothing new for a Coach to say positive things going into a new season. Let's all hope it all comes true and most of all the players believe they will win again.

I lost faith in Lemonis, I think he is a good man but a very average Coach who was at the right place at the right time. I do think our pitching Coach is an improvement.

Dawgology
08-18-2023, 07:59 AM
The fall of the baseball program is akin to the fall of the Jackie Sherrill regime back in the day. The car didn't slowly break down the wheels came off going 125 mph down I-10. I’ll believe it when I see it there just doesn’t appear to be any leadership in that program currently.

Coach34
08-18-2023, 09:07 AM
I doubt that.

Why?

Dohm and Holcombe are top 10 in all of college baseball in analytics- meaning they will 100% be drafted.
Loo will 100% be drafted
Jordan and Hines will 100% be drafted
I think Simmons and/or Auger will be drafted. Then there's Ligon, Purdue, Pico, Larry, Memphis guy- all depending on their Spring performance

We are guaranteed at least 5 with a possible 5-6 more.

Gonna be a good baseball season if we can settle on LF and the freshman 1B from Cali is legit to round out our line-up

AlSwearengen
08-18-2023, 09:17 AM
I don’t doubt their arm talent and draftability, but there are countless pitchers out there that can throw it 95 or better but they can’t “pitch”. Lemonis better pray they can figure out how to “pitch”.

There were kids in the portal that have proven they can “pitch”. I think we got one from Miami but we needed another that has proven it.

gtowndawg
08-18-2023, 09:18 AM
https://media.tenor.com/wy2zHeWyf2gAAAAC/side-eye-dog-suspicious-look.gif

Coach34
08-18-2023, 09:56 AM
I don’t doubt their arm talent and draftability, but there are countless pitchers out there that can throw it 95 or better but they can’t “pitch”. Lemonis better pray they can figure out how to “pitch”.

I 100% agree with you. But we have the talent- it's up to our new PC to get it out of these guys so that they perform. I'd rather have talent than not have it.

SpaceBully
08-18-2023, 11:03 AM

All good news. Now he just has to go out and make it happen. IMO, we had enough pitching talent last year to finish in the middle of the SEC. Let's see what Parker can do with it for this year. I kind of expect bigger things from Bradley Loftin since he was about the only guy we kept who was offered a 7 figure contract by the pros. In is soph. year, I feel that kind of talent should be pushing for a SEC weekend starter spot.

CaptainObvious
08-18-2023, 12:14 PM
Nah! I?m not buying it. Too much damage done.

But?. Now we are stuck for another year.

If the team starts slow in February and struggles to start SEC play, the Buzzards will be circling C.R. (Dudy) Noble Field waiting to pick the carcass clean to the bone.

To be fair though, I like my CROW cooked on a grill, not in the oven. Gets a might stringy.

Todd4State
08-18-2023, 12:58 PM
Time will tell, it's nothing new for a Coach to say positive things going into a new season. Let's all hope it all comes true and most of all the players believe they will win again.

I lost faith in Lemonis, I think he is a good man but a very average Coach who was at the right place at the right time. I do think our pitching Coach is an improvement.

My personal opinion is even if he turns it around and goes to a Super Regional it doesn't seem like our fans are willing to forgive the last two years.

If I were in his shoes I would just resign at the end of the year and go somewhere else no matter what. Hopefully after going to at least a Super Regional.

Cooterpoot
08-18-2023, 01:27 PM
If those pitchers are better than the portal pitchers, we wouldn't have signed two and offered an ass load to another one. Lemons has to say that.

Cowbell
08-18-2023, 01:47 PM
If those pitchers are better than the portal pitchers, we wouldn't have signed two and offered an ass load to another one. Lemons has to say that.

This is what bothers me the most - we have NIL money that went unused

CaptainObvious
08-18-2023, 02:10 PM
This is what bothers me the most - we have NIL money that went unused

A penny saved is a penny earned.😂😂😂

basedog
08-18-2023, 02:27 PM

Truth

basedog
08-18-2023, 02:33 PM
My personal opinion is even if he turns it around and goes to a Super Regional it doesn't seem like our fans are willing to forgive the last two years.

If I were in his shoes I would just resign at the end of the year and go somewhere else no matter what. Hopefully after going to at least a Super Regional.

If he goes to Super Regions, I will be first to say I was dead wrong. Beng lazy always shows up sometimes, let's hope he can be very motivated.
Btw, last two years speak for themselves, you should know something was bad wrong, it was not only on the field but chemistry sucked!

3dawgnight15
08-18-2023, 02:46 PM
If he goes to Super Regions, I will be first to say I was dead wrong. Beng lazy always shows up sometimes, let's hope he can be very motivated.
Btw, last two years speak for themselves, you should know something was bad wrong, it was not only on the field but chemistry sucked!

60% of the time it works every time.

maroonmania
08-18-2023, 02:50 PM

He would be a miracle worker in my book. If he can take a team that's missed Hoover for two straight years and then misses out on every top player in the portal we had a legitimate shot at during the off-season, and still makes a Super Regional, I'll be in total shock. Will be a significant job just to get us back in the postseason.

Saltydog
08-18-2023, 03:00 PM

Probably for the best. '25 isn't looking good. Next years lineup may be the '39 Yankees compared to the '25 lineup.

AlSwearengen
08-18-2023, 05:00 PM
Probably for the best. '25 isn't looking good. Next years lineup may be the '39 Yankees compared to the '25 lineup.

If we turn it around next year and at least make it to a super without sneaking into the tournament, maybe we can get recruits and transfer’s attention and make use of the NIL money that we didn’t use this year and buy a good team.

Mjoelner34
08-18-2023, 05:45 PM
The first thing the new pitching coach needs to do is put this sign up in the bullpen.

The next thing he needs to do is to put one beside it that says "No one cares what your spin rate is if your slider is 2 feet outside on ball 4"

Coach34
08-18-2023, 10:37 PM
He would be a miracle worker in my book. If he can take a team that's missed Hoover for two straight years and then misses out on every top player in the portal we had a legitimate shot at during the off-season, and still makes a Super Regional, I'll be in total shock. Will be a significant job just to get us back in the postseason.

Please stop the insanity. Holy shirts and pants. 5 of our top 9 pitcher's in 23 were true freshmen. Nobody wins in the SEC doing that. We are very talented in 24. If Lemon cant win with this group- he will be fired. We are easily top half of the SEC in talent and experience- probably top 5

Coach34
08-18-2023, 10:40 PM
It kills me that posters will post in football threads and talk about how we should be good because we have a veteran football team this Fall and then turn around and think we will suck in baseball with a veteran team.

CaptainObvious
08-19-2023, 12:40 AM
It kills me that posters will post in football threads and talk about how we should be good because we have a veteran football team this Fall and then turn around and think we will suck in baseball with a veteran team.

Because the football team was 9-4 last year and returns a large chunk of that talent including a 4 year record setting starter at QB and a couple of stud running backs, some quality receivers, an experienced o-line, a 2 deep D-line, all-SEC level Linebackers, and a Head Coach with an Attitude!

The players that return for the baseball team went 9-21 in the SEC and lost to some not so stellar non- conference teams last year. And it returns a Head Coach who literally coached from the seat of his pants.

TheLostDawg
08-19-2023, 07:08 AM
Because the football team was 9-4 last year and returns a large chunk of that talent including a 4 year record setting starter at QB and a couple of stud running backs, some quality receivers, an experienced o-line, a 2 deep D-line, all-SEC level Linebackers, and a Head Coach with an Attitude!

The players that return for the baseball team went 9-21 in the SEC and lost to some not so stellar non- conference teams last year. And it returns a Head Coach who literally coached from the seat of his pants.

This. I respect your ideas but the fact your comparing baseball with football just shows your trying anything to support your narrative.

Best thing is to let baseball talk die until basketball is over. Hopefully we'll forget some of this stuff and cool off. We all hope Lemonis and Parker turn it around and capitalize on it next year in the portal butt** he needs to be a top 16 team next year to stay. That's the standard here. If he'd have made it to Hoover this year then the standard wouldn't be so high but missing two years in a row, he must make a super to flip the narrative. If he just gets in the tournament and doesn't make it to super and we we still keep him, we're going to be in the same boat this time next year and our standard will be lowered in recruits eyes. I mean we went to Omaha 3 years in a row. We should have never been in this situation.

Again might as well just let baseball talk die for now. There is currently no optimism in sight other than your first post but that's not enough to make me get excited about next year.

Saltydog
08-19-2023, 09:06 AM
I have to hand it to you coach. You tow the company line harder than anyone.

smootness
08-19-2023, 09:13 AM
(Now where have we heard this before around here hmmmmmm??????)

Exactly, you are just regurgitating the company line.

Sure, those pitchers ?just have to pitch better.? You know who else had the talent and just needed to pitch better? Cerantola, who was drafted pretty high. And guess what, it didn?t help us one bit.

KOdawg1
08-19-2023, 09:32 AM

In football, we return a lot of veterans from a team that won 9 games.

In baseball, we return veterans from a team that finished 13th in the SEC.

They are not the same

RiverCityDawg
08-19-2023, 09:46 AM

I actually agree with your overall point in this thread, but this is a horrible point. There are two huge differences in football and baseball... 1) The football team with these players has actually been good the past two years and 2) The confidence in Arnett not to screw its up is high (justified or not) and the confidence in Lemonis is gone.

BrunswickDawg
08-19-2023, 11:12 AM
I actually agree with your overall point in this thread, but this is a horrible point. There are two huge differences in football and baseball... 1) The football team with these players has actually been good the past two years and 2) The confidence in Arnett not to screw its up is high (justified or not) and the confidence in Lemonis is gone.

Good these past two years - but how were they in 2020 when we were the youngest team in the SEC and playing Freshman all over the field?

This year our baseball team had to rely on Freshman in a similar manner - and we saw similar results.

SpaceBully
08-19-2023, 01:18 PM
Why?

Dohm and Holcombe are top 10 in all of college baseball in analytics- meaning they will 100% be drafted.
Loo will 100% be drafted
Jordan and Hines will 100% be drafted
I think Simmons and/or Auger will be drafted. Then there's Ligon, Purdue, Pico, Larry, Memphis guy- all depending on their Spring performance

We are guaranteed at least 5 with a possible 5-6 more.

Gonna be a good baseball season if we can settle on LF and the freshman 1B from Cali is legit to round out our line-up

Did Gartman get another year for us?

Coach34
08-19-2023, 01:49 PM

ok- so to recap:

2022- C34 tells the board our football team has a shot at 10 wins. Responses are that I hate Leach and setting unrealistic expectations. Team wins 9 with losses to Kentucky and blew a 4th quarter lead to LSU. Board realizes suddenly having a veteran team does indeed actually matter. Now has high expectations for 2023 even people thinking we may beat Bama.

C34 tells the board the baseball team is talented and will be a much more veteran team in 24. No longer will be running 5 freshmen pitchers out there. We all know after 20 years of message boarding how this turns out. But hey- let's let it play on out 1 more time.

Coach34
08-19-2023, 01:56 PM
Did Gartman get another year for us?

He has another year but word is he had elbow surgery after the season.

Coach34
08-19-2023, 01:56 PM
Good these past two years - but how were they in 2020 when we were the youngest team in the SEC and playing Freshman all over the field?

This year our baseball team had to rely on Freshman in a similar manner - and we saw similar results.

excellent point

dawgday166
08-19-2023, 02:27 PM
ok- so to recap:

2022- C34 tells the board our football team has a shot at 10 wins. Responses are that I hate Leach and setting unrealistic expectations. Team wins 9 with losses to Kentucky and blew a 4th quarter lead to LSU. Board realizes suddenly having a veteran team does indeed actually matter. Now has high expectations for 2023 even people thinking we may beat Bama.

C34 tells the board the baseball team is talented and will be a much more veteran team in 24. No longer will be running 5 freshmen pitchers out there. We all know after 20 years of message boarding how this turns out. But hey- let's let it play on out 1 more time.

1) You pretty much implied if Air Raid was any good we'd win 10. If not it sucked. I responded there was no way we'd win 10, we had 2 auto-losses in Bama & GA on our schedule. We'd lose at least one more, and maybe 2 regular season. I figured team would be like 2017 team (cause it was loaded with Jrs, not Srs), which it pretty much was record wise. Who was right? But ... I know you won't admit that and I'm not gonna argue about it all day or go try to find threads from this time last year.

2) Most of time, not always tho.

Quaoarsking
08-19-2023, 02:50 PM

I don't care if he "goes to a Super Regional" either way. I care about what happens in the regular season. There's too much randomness in the postseason to read anything into it.

Host a Regional but lose it - fine, he gets 2025, but he's still on thin ice
3 seed who barely makes into a Regional, but then wins the Regional with some luck - should be fired (but won't be, sadly)

Todd4State
08-19-2023, 03:38 PM
I don't care if he "goes to a Super Regional" either way. I care about what happens in the regular season. There's too much randomness in the postseason to read anything into it.

Host a Regional but lose it - fine, he gets 2025, but he's still on thin ice
3 seed who barely makes into a Regional, but then wins the Regional with some luck - should be fired (but won't be, sadly)

Baseball is a crazy game. Anyone can win and get hot at any time especially if you are a SEC baseball team. That said, if you are good enough to get into the postseason- which isn't exactly something that is impossible hard to do if you are MSU with the talent we have alone and an upgrade at pitching coach you don't have to have a 40 win regular season to meet our minimum expectations- which for me is a SR. It's all about how you finish. So, I don't care as much about the regular season compared to how we actually finish. If we go 32-26 during the regular season with a 13-17 SEC record and get in as a three seed and then make it to a SR- that's totally fine with me. If you are a SR team that means you are among the elite teams in the country. Bear in mind my example is a four game SEC difference than last year for us. We don't have to have Tony LaRussa as our head coach to pull this off at all. Or Braden Montgomery or Eric Holman.

If we get into a regional it's typically going to be a one seed who is good, a 2 seed that will either be a good mid major like USM or a team like Oklahoma, and then the four will be some mid major team. We win the first two games and it's really not that impossible to get through- in fact it's probably very likely. Even if we lose a game we typically have more pitching depth than our competitors which is why we've come through the loser's bracket at times like we did against USM in 2017 and against FSU the next year.

smootness
08-19-2023, 03:39 PM

Except this year now is our veteran team. Last year was not year 1 of a multi-year buildup. It should have been year 2 of that, though we were still younger than we should have been. This year we are still going to be fairly young?and then will definitely have less to work with in 2025. So this is the year. And 2021 in football was ok, but certainly nothing great.

Todd4State
08-19-2023, 03:41 PM

The guys that we have now as our leaders- Will, Woody, Walley, Cole Smith, Jett, etc.- they were freshmen in 2020 and they went 4-7. Then they got to 7-6 the next year and were a kicker away from being an 8-9 win team. Then they won 9 last year with a pretty tough schedule.

The guys on the baseball team that were freshmen last year- Dakota, Loo, Loftin, Siary, Chance, etc.- they will get better too.

smootness
08-19-2023, 03:58 PM
The guys that we have now as our leaders- Will, Woody, Walley, Cole Smith, Jett, etc.- they were freshmen in 2020 and they went 4-7. Then they got to 7-6 the next year and were a kicker away from being an 8-9 win team. Then they won 9 last year with a pretty tough schedule.

The guys on the baseball team that were freshmen last year- Dakota, Loo, Loftin, Siary, Chance, etc.- they will get better too.

Cool. Only problem is, Dakota, Loo, and Chance are all draft-eligible after this year. So the fact that they were freshmen does not really matter at all. They have to contribute in really big ways right now.

Todd4State
08-19-2023, 04:16 PM
Cool. Only problem is, Dakota, Loo, and Chance are all draft-eligible after this year. So the fact that they were freshmen does not really matter at all. They have to contribute in really big ways right now.

It is what it is. We have to have draftable talent. Chance isn't going to go pro next year. Loo- only if he makes a big jump. If you're a draftable sophomore you can be drafted and you still will have signing leverage. Meaning you have to be a really high pick to go.

Coach34
08-19-2023, 06:07 PM
Except this year now is our veteran team. Last year was not year 1 of a multi-year buildup. It should have been year 2 of that, though we were still younger than we should have been. This year we are still going to be fairly young?and then will definitely have less to work with in 2025. So this is the year. And 2021 in football was ok, but certainly nothing great.

Now you can certainly blame Lemon for having to run 5 true freshmen out there last season. It got Fox fired- and no that doesn’t absolve Lemon. You can certainly blame Lemon for that fact that freaking Chance may be our best option in LF this Spring. But those 5 freshmen should and likely will be a lot better in 24. That’s just how sports work. Experience is huge

Coach34
08-19-2023, 09:10 PM
Bold 1) You pretty much implied if Air Raid was any good we'd win 10. If not it sucked. I responded there was no way we'd win 10, we had 2 auto-losses in Bama & GA on our schedule. We'd lose at least one more, and maybe 2 regular season. I figured team would be like 2017 team (cause it was loaded with Jrs, not Srs), which it pretty much was record wise. Who was right? But ... I know you won't admit that and I'm not gonna argue about it all day or go try to find threads from this time last year.

Was I wrong? We had a shot at 10 wins. We led LSU in the 4th Q. Thats a real shot at winning the game- however the dropped punt totally changed the momentum of the game and doomed us. The guy has good hands. It was just bad luck. Kentucky? 3/4 of the board thought we would beat Kentucky. Said so repeatedly and how Levis sucked. We scored 10 offensive points vs Kentucky and lost the game. Levis outplayed Rogers.

We 100% had a shot at 10 regular season wins as I said. We just couldnt pull it out. But the season wasnt disappointing as we ended up 9-4 with an Egg Bowl win and competed hard all season long.

Baseball 2024? We have the talent to host. Should be a Top 20 team. Our HC needs to make it happen. If you pay attention- it wont be surprising if we host at all.

CadaverDawg
08-20-2023, 05:43 PM
Death, taxes, and C34 tooting his horn and ignoring the other 50 predictions he got wrong. Oh well, just glad you're around to do it.

Our baseball team is not going to be good enough to save Lemonis next year. The thing about saying "we will have the talent to win, but can the coaches deliver", is that you're basically able to claim Nostradamus status regardless. If we win, you called it....if we lose, it's "I said the coaches would have to deliver, and they didn't". So you're still right. Solid strategy that has served you well.

I'll go on record that Lemon's last year will be this upcoming season. He sat on his ass after the Title and thought he could win here on autopilot. Now the hole he dug is too deep for him to dig out of.

Pancho
08-20-2023, 06:07 PM
Cadaver done summed it all up

The Federalist Engineer
08-20-2023, 08:23 PM

"Had to rely on Freshman" ... because almost nobody was developed and recruiting was so poor. Other than Cade, no other High School recruited pitcher became a good upper class contributor. I hope MSU can win 14 or 15 games in 2024 and make a regional, then fire Lemons, and hand the next coach a better portal situation. Every program has injury, so that's not an excuse.

In 2022...

(1) Jackson Fristoe was not around for a Junior year
(2) Mikey Tepper same
(3) Andrew Walling became the new Paul Young, but worse
(4) KC Hunt was a 4-year freshman
(5) Parker Stinnett was a D2 player never cut
(6) Enema was a D3 player
(7) Hardin same a Enema

But lets not forget that MSU was not just the worst pitching team in the SEC, the pitching was an order of magnitude worse than the next worst team.

Coach34
08-20-2023, 08:44 PM
"Had to rely on Freshman" ... because almost nobody was developed and recruiting was so poor. Other than Cade, no other High School recruited pitcher became a good upper class contributor. I hope MSU can win 14 or 15 games in 2024 and make a regional, then fire Lemons, and hand the next coach a better portal situation. Every program has injury, so that's not an excuse.

In 2022...

(1) Jackson Fristoe was not around for a Junior year
(2) Mikey Tepper same
(3) Andrew Walling became the new Paul Young, but worse
(4) KC Hunt was a 4-year freshman
(5) Parker Stinnett was a D2 player never cut
(6) Enema was a D3 player
(7) Hardin same a Enema

But lets not forget that MSU was not just the worst pitching team in the SEC, the pitching was an order of magnitude worse than the next worst team.

agree. And we fired the PC

Saltydog
08-22-2023, 07:39 PM
Death, taxes, and C34 tooting his horn and ignoring the other 50 predictions he got wrong. Oh well, just glad you're around to do it.

Our baseball team is not going to be good enough to save Lemonis next year. The thing about saying "we will have the talent to win, but can the coaches deliver", is that you're basically able to claim Nostradamus status regardless. If we win, you called it....if we lose, it's "I said the coaches would have to deliver, and they didn't". So you're still right. Solid strategy that has served you well.

I'll go on record that Lemon's last year will be this upcoming season. He sat on his ass after the Title and thought he could win here on autopilot. Now the hole he dug is too deep for him to dig out of.

Yes but he has a bucket. . . . .

the_real_MSU_is_us
08-22-2023, 09:02 PM
ok- so to recap:

Bookmarked for 9 months from now. It's just too good not too lol

CadaverDawg
08-22-2023, 11:04 PM
Yes but he has a bucket. . . . .

Lol, very well played