PDA

View Full Version : Auburn/Mizzou or OSU?

BulldogBear
12-02-2013, 09:19 AM
Well, I just saw that Ohio State is so far ahead of Auburn in computers that there is pretty much a 100% chance of the SEC streak ending unless Duke or Michigan State pull the upset. Won't happen unless Duke really is a team of destiny or Sparty's D keeps it close.

ckDOG
12-02-2013, 09:42 AM
Don't be surprised when Sparty wins. They are only a 5.5 dog and it's at home. A lot of smoke and mirrors for OSU with that schedule.

CooterDavenport
12-02-2013, 09:53 AM
What do you mean it's at home? It's in Indianapolis.

smootness
12-02-2013, 09:57 AM
I think Michigan State has a very good shot at winning that game. Their defense is for real.

C222
12-02-2013, 10:01 AM
I think Michigan State has a very good shot at winning that game. Their defense is for real.

What if OSU and Auburn lose? Does Missouri go?

smootness
12-02-2013, 10:03 AM
What if OSU and Auburn lose? Does Missouri go?

Yes.

msstate7
12-02-2013, 10:09 AM

Ohio state will be the best offense Michigan st has seen this year. Buckeyes are gonna win big bc Michigan state can't exploit osu's defense

smootness
12-02-2013, 10:14 AM
Ohio state will be the best offense Michigan st has seen this year. Buckeyes are gonna win big bc Michigan state can't exploit osu's defense

And Michigan State will be the best defense Ohio St has seen this year. Michigan State can certainly hold Ohio State to around 30 if they play like they're capable of playing, and Ohio State has given up some points to some teams that aren't so great. It should be a good game either way. I don't see a big win for either team coming.

msstate7
12-02-2013, 10:17 AM
And Michigan State will be the best defense Ohio St has seen this year. Michigan State can certainly hold Ohio State to around 30 if they play like they're capable of playing, and Ohio State has given up some points to some teams that aren't so great. It should be a good game either way. I don't see a big win for either team coming.
Maybe not. I just think Osu had their sleepwalk game last week and urban has them ready to roll this week.

smootness
12-02-2013, 10:21 AM
Maybe not. I just think Osu had their sleepwalk game last week and urban has them ready to roll this week.

I don't think they sleepwalked. I just think they can be beaten.

smootness
12-02-2013, 10:25 AM
BTW, on the subject of Auburn, their AD Jay Jacobs actually said today that it would be a disservice to the nation if the winner of the SEC Championship Game was left out of the NC game. You can't make this stuff up.

msstate7
12-02-2013, 10:36 AM
If Winston is kicked off fsu, should they still be in the championship game?

ckDOG
12-02-2013, 11:11 AM
What do you mean it's at home? It's in Indianapolis.

My bad. Habit of looking at bottom team on the lines.

smootness
12-02-2013, 11:17 AM
If Winston is kicked off fsu, should they still be in the championship game?

Yes. It's a team game, and that team deserves to play for the national title. I hate when decisions are made about what a team deserves based on new roster issues. For example, I also hate when the NCAA selection committee makes decisions based on a player recently hurt. I guess I may be more ok with it in terms of seeding, but it should never determine if a team makes it in or not.

Let's say Mississippi State went undefeated in the SEC next year and was sitting #1 or #2 in the BCS, then Dak went down late in the SECCG. Would we be ok with us not playing for the national title, even though we had won all of our games and the conference? Or would we be ok if Dak couldn't play in the bowl game, so we didn't play in one because it would be with Damian Williams as QB?

No, we would deserve, as a team, to play for the national title...or to play in a bowl this year.

BulldogBear
12-02-2013, 11:20 AM
Yes. It's a team game, and that team deserves to play for the national title. I hate when decisions are made about what a team deserves based on new roster issues. For example, I also hate when the NCAA selection committee makes decisions based on a player recently hurt. I guess I may be more ok with it in terms of seeding, but it should never determine if a team makes it in or not.

Let's say Mississippi State went undefeated in the SEC next year and was sitting #1 or #2 in the BCS, then Dak went down late in the SECCG. Would we be ok with us not playing for the national title, even though we had won all of our games and the conference? Or would we be ok if Dak couldn't play in the bowl game, so we didn't play in one because it would be with Damian Williams as QB?

No, we would deserve, as a team, to play for the national title...or to play in a bowl this year.

Beat me to it.

engie
12-02-2013, 11:35 AM
I don't think they sleepwalked. I just think they can be beaten.

Exactly. No such thing as sleepwalking into your biggest rivalry game with a national title on the line....

Very, very beatable. I think Michigan St is about to expose them...

bluelightstar
12-02-2013, 11:38 AM
Michigan State is not going to beat OSU. OSU wins by 7-10.

msstate7
12-02-2013, 11:39 AM
Exactly. No such thing as sleepwalking into your biggest rivalry game with a national title on the line....

Very, very beatable. I think Michigan St is about to expose them...

Miller and Hyde (maybe best rb in the country right now) are gonna run on Michigan st.

Osu 35
Msu 16

smootness
12-02-2013, 11:49 AM
Miller and Hyde (maybe best rb in the country right now) are gonna run on Michigan st.

Osu 35
Msu 16

They ran all over Michigan and still had to stop the 2-pt conversion or they lose. Michigan St. is easily #1 in the country in rushing defense. Ohio State should be able to have some success, but they won't be able to do anything close to what they did against Michigan. I just don't see how an objective view of this game leads anyone to see a blowout in either direction.

Michigan State should slow Ohio State down more than anyone else this year has, and Ohio State should have more success on the ground on Mich. St. than anyone else this year has. I'd guess something in the mid-20 to low-30 range for both teams in points.

engie
12-02-2013, 11:54 AM

Osu 35
Msu 16

Yeah -- let's ignore that they are facing THE BEST run defense in the country...and the best period in yards/game allowed since 2008 TCU...

They may beat Michigan St -- but they aren't going to do it with the ground and pound. They are going to force Miller to stay in the pocket and try to beat them with his arm. Whether or not he can will tell how that game transpires.

engie
12-02-2013, 12:01 PM
I think Michigan St is about to expose them...

Same feelings I had for the Oregon/Stanford game earlier in the year...

http://www.elitedawgs.com/showthread.php?8272-Anybody-else-pulling-for-Stanford-tonight

All-too-often, people get blinded by flashy offense against bad competition without equivalently looking at defense. I'm not saying 100% that I think Michigan St will win -- but I think they've got an excellent shot.

bluelightstar
12-02-2013, 12:03 PM
Plenty of people predicted Stanford over Oregon though, engie. I just think a lot of people are underestimating Ohio State.

Political Hack
12-02-2013, 12:14 PM
Mich St has a legit chance... Duke has about a 1% chance.

I hope Mizzu goes. The state of Alabama has taken too much of the glory in college football.

msstate7
12-02-2013, 12:22 PM
Yeah -- let's ignore that they are facing THE BEST run defense in the country...and the best period in yards/game allowed since 2008 TCU...

They may beat Michigan St -- but they aren't going to do it with the ground and pound. They are going to force Miller to stay in the pocket and try to beat them with his arm. Whether or not he can will tell how that game transpires.

Osu averages 320 yards a game rushing which is #2 in the country. Strength on strength. I'll take the second best coach in the country and the best qb in the big 10

engie
12-02-2013, 12:30 PM
Plenty of people predicted Stanford over Oregon though, engie. I just think a lot of people are underestimating Ohio State.

Who did?

More people around the country are predicting Michigan St over Ohio St than picked Stanford to beat Oregon. I think people(here) are overestimating Ohio St and underestimating Michigan St. That Ohio St team is similar to Oregon to me -- a good team that has been exposed defensively several times already, it just hasn't been capitalized on by a team with a decent defense that could actually stop them whatsoever. They are a good offense -- but their defense is very bad. Let us not forget that Michigan St is a gnats ass away from being undefeated as well -- and outside their one loss on the road to Notre Dame early, they haven't been challenged a single time all year.

Michigan St
W Michigan W26-13
South Florida W21-6
Youngstown St W55-17
@#22 Notre Dame L17-13
@Iowa W26-14
Indiana W42-28
Purdue W14-0
@Illinois W42-3
#21 Michigan W29-6
@Nebraska W41-28
@Northwestern W30-6
Minnesota W14-3

Ohio St
Buffalo W40-20
San Diego State W42-7
@California W52-34
Florida A&M W76-0
#23 Wisconsin W31-24
@#16 Northwestern W40-30
Iowa W34-24
Penn State W63-14
@Purdue W56-0
@Illinois W60-35
Indiana W42-14
@Michigan W42-41

Common Opponents:
Iowa - Michigan St won by 12 on the road -- Ohio St won by 10 at home
Purdue - Michigan St won by 14 at home -- Ohio St won by 56 on the road
Illinois - Michigan St won by 39 on the road -- Ohio St won by 25 on the road
Michigan - Michigan St won by 23 at home -- Ohio St won by 1 on the road
Northwestern - Michigan St won by 24 on the road -- Ohio St won by 10 on the road

Advantage Michigan St in 4 of the 5

chef dixon
12-02-2013, 12:47 PM
The SEC mindset is twist everything in their favor to expose why other teams suck. So Ohio State isn't that great because they had some close games in the Big10, but Michigan State is a badass team that will beat them because they played the same schedule?

Regardless, I'm with msstate7, I think Ohio State wins fairly easily. I've seen a Michigan State game or two this season and they are painful to watch.

bluelightstar
12-02-2013, 12:47 PM
Initially: Northwestern collapsed down the stretch and had lost their best player by the time MSU played them. Northwestern was also in the midst of their 7-game losing streak at the time. Hardly the same team OSU played.

In addition, I didn't follow OSU closely enough to say for sure, but I thought I remembered them getting out to big leads in most of these games and coasting to the finish line. I'm sure there are some where that didn't happen, but just what I think I remember off the top of my head. I'll check that out later though.

Quaoarsking
12-02-2013, 01:40 PM
I'm picking Michigan State, because somehow it always works out for the SEC.

Quaoarsking
12-02-2013, 01:48 PM
2006 - mediocre UCLA beats USC in final week to make way for Florida
2007 - Mizzou loses Big 12 championship and WV loses final game to 4-7 Pittsburgh to let LSU sneak in
2008 - none on the last week, but USC had an improbable loss to Oregon State earlier
2009 - Alabama undefeated in a year they had to be
2010 - Auburn undefeated after winning several fluky games
2011 - Oklahoma State loses late to Iowa State, making way for Alabama.
2012 - Oregon and Kansas State both lose in late November
2013 - Ohio State loses big 10 championship to Michigan State?

Somehow it always works out for the SEC.

smootness
12-02-2013, 02:02 PM
The SEC mindset is twist everything in their favor to expose why other teams suck. So Ohio State isn't that great because they had some close games in the Big10, but Michigan State is a badass team that will beat them because they played the same schedule?

Regardless, I'm with msstate7, I think Ohio State wins fairly easily. I've seen a Michigan State game or two this season and they are painful to watch.

Who has said Michigan State is far better than Ohio State? The reason the schedule comparison was made was to show that the two have mostly faired pretty similarly against similar competition, meaning this game should be close. That's it.

engie
12-08-2013, 12:30 AM
heyyyyooooo