View Full Version : ESPN top 100 college football players

Leroy Jenkins
08-16-2023, 09:21 PM
Based on over 10,000 ballots.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/38122924/top-100-players-caleb-williams-maye-bowers-2023

36. Will Rogers

QB, Mississippi State, senior
Notable 2022 stats: 3,974 yards, 35 TDs
2022 ranking: NR

The most accomplished passer in the SEC, Rogers is already the only quarterback in SEC history with over 1,000 career completions. With 32 consecutive starts, he owns school career records for passing yards (10,689) and passing touchdowns (82).

Maverick91
08-16-2023, 09:27 PM
Surprised they voted him that high.

Leroy Jenkins
08-17-2023, 08:17 AM
Surprised they voted him that high.

Floored

confucius say
08-17-2023, 01:28 PM
The regional/national media is lower on us than most of our fans and local media.

Interestingly, they are higher on will than most of our fans. I don't think our fans would have names will 3rd team all sec.

What's really weird is that the regional/national media is high on will but still thinks we finish 6-6 and last in the west. Those two things dont compute.

Todd4State
08-20-2023, 12:51 AM
The regional/national media is lower on us than most of our fans and local media.

Interestingly, they are higher on will than most of our fans. I don't think our fans would have names will 3rd team all sec.

What's really weird is that the regional/national media is high on will but still thinks we finish 6-6 and last in the west. Those two things dont compute.

Will Rogers is VERY underrated by our fans because our fans overvalue arm strength and mobility. Or should I say a QB that can make explosive plays with his legs like Dak or even Relf.

In fact if I put up a poll I bet a LOT of our fans would choose Relf over Will. Or maybe choose Nick Fitzgerald over Will. Even though Will has a good chance to win more games than Nick did at QB and has more memorable wins in his career to this point.

Everyone talks about running the ball but our offense is going to be as good as Will is. And if we're going to maximize our "best 11" it's going to be through the air with this group of players.

The reason the media isn't high on us is because we have a new head coach, a new OC with no clear offensive identity who has been under offensive head coaches calling into question how much of the scheme was his and how much was the head coach, and a new DC. Our fans get defensive with that but that is the reality that the outside world sees.

ZedFedder
08-20-2023, 08:32 AM
Will Rogers is VERY underrated by our fans because our fans overvalue arm strength and mobility. Or should I say a QB that can make explosive plays with his legs like Dak or even Relf.

In fact if I put up a poll I bet a LOT of our fans would choose Relf over Will. Or maybe choose Nick Fitzgerald over Will. Even though Will has a good chance to win more games than Nick did at QB and has more memorable wins in his career to this point.

Everyone talks about running the ball but our offense is going to be as good as Will is. And if we're going to maximize our "best 11" it's going to be through the air with this group of players.

The reason the media isn't high on us is because we have a new head coach, a new OC with no clear offensive identity who has been under offensive head coaches calling into question how much of the scheme was his and how much was the head coach, and a new DC. Our fans get defensive with that but that is the reality that the outside world sees.

I think Robbie said it best on T&L. He is high on the team, he thinks others should be, but he gets the questions around it. Now, I think we will be pretty good and rise above yet again. But I understand the question marks, especially from those not around the program.

confucius say
08-20-2023, 10:59 AM
My reservations are not about arnett or Barbay near as much as they are about our secondary with only one proven SEC starter and an OL that, although old (thank goodness), will being doing something they've never done at this level.

Todd4State
08-20-2023, 11:34 AM
I think Robbie said it best on T&L. He is high on the team, he thinks others should be, but he gets the questions around it. Now, I think we will be pretty good and rise above yet again. But I understand the question marks, especially from those not around the program.

Exactly! We should be very good because at a minimum we're returning the majority of a team that just won 9 games and we have a much easier schedule this year. That's a recipe for a good season as long as we don't Joe Moorhead it.

Todd4State
08-20-2023, 11:37 AM
My reservations are not about arnett or Barbay near as much as they are about our secondary with only one proven SEC starter and an OL that, although old (thank goodness), will being doing something they've never done at this level.

I agree about the offensive line. We've heard about the adjustments and growing pains from practice reports. We'll see when and if it totally clicks during the season.

I'm not too worried about our secondary. It sounds to me like we have some guys stepping up there. I could see Nicholson and Albert starting by the end of the year maybe.

Maverick91
08-20-2023, 01:29 PM
I don’t think the o line is going to be as big of issue as being made. If I am not wrong, most of these guys were recruited by Moorhead which means they are run first guys. I think they are chomping at the bit to push some people around.

As for the secondary they should step up nicely. We got some high caliber guys from the portal to go along with some good returners.

Lord McBuckethead
08-22-2023, 07:46 AM
Yeah, but I haven?t even heard of all these transfers since camp started. Not a single player mentioning KRodgers or the other guy.