PDA

View Full Version : Oh ye of little faith

BuckyIsAB****
08-16-2023, 07:48 PM
Everyone worried about throwing the ball in this offense, especially balls down the field, you can rest your weary heads at night

Cowbell
08-16-2023, 07:55 PM
Everyone worried about throwing the ball in this offense, especially balls down the field, you can rest your weary heads at night

I hear we have a scrambling threat at QB now too

Coach34
08-16-2023, 08:10 PM
I think Will is going to have a very good season.

RisperDawg
08-16-2023, 08:13 PM
I don't disagree with you, but what prompted this thread? Did some news or video from camp just drop?

TrapGame
08-16-2023, 08:38 PM
WOOL.

Cowbell
08-16-2023, 09:11 PM
WOOL.

You beat me too it

Maverick91
08-16-2023, 09:17 PM
Link it suckers

Commercecomet24
08-16-2023, 09:29 PM
Will should thrive in this system. He?s accurate and intelligent and the play action stuff off the run is gonna open up stuff for him we haven?t seen the last couple years.

EdwardDrayton
08-16-2023, 09:38 PM
6-5 going into the Egg Bowl. Lose and folks will burn their #2 jerseys from the end of a broom handle. Win and go to a bowl game; we'll all shrug and nod it's a good season for the Dawgs in the SEC.

Tater
08-16-2023, 09:38 PM

As long as he actually does it. He showed it Memphis 2022 end of game. He showed it in Spring. He showed it in practice. Skull **** LSU and Bama with it I'm begging.

BeardoMSU
08-16-2023, 09:55 PM
6-5 going into the Egg Bowl. Lose and folks will burn their #2 jerseys from the end of a broom handle. Win and go to a bowl game; we'll all shrug and nod it's a good season for the Dawgs in the SEC.

Boo!!!

EdwardDrayton
08-17-2023, 01:27 AM
Boo!!!

C'mon Alfalfa. Time to step out of the blinding rays of the offseason sunshine pumpers. By the end of August, they'll have us at 2-1 odds of going 11-1, Rogers winning the Heisman and we'll be a real contender in the CFP. Then there's that guy who has to reel it back in so souls are not crushed!! It's a public service to the psyche of State fans the world over. :)

I'm that guy.

Todd4State
08-17-2023, 05:47 AM
Throwing the ball worries me the least with this team. We have a record setting QB and several four star receivers and it sounds like Walley might be a candidate to have a senior bump season.

TrapGame
08-17-2023, 08:29 AM
One thing we do not have on this team is a QB problem. Bama and Auburn have QB situations w/ Bama being the worst. Word is Milroy can run like a deer for huge chunks of yardage but can't throw worth a damn.

Johnson85
08-17-2023, 08:50 AM
Throwing the ball worries me the least with this team.

My real worry with this team is that we are solid everywhere on offense but just don't have the high end talent to move the ball well enough against good SEC defenses. We usually have at least one if not more guys (usually at least one lineman and one WR) on offense where you're like, that guy probably shouldn't be a starter in the SEC. I don't know that we have that guy this year. But I also don't know that we have a guy, particularly at a skill position, that is going to wow people and would start for a majority of SEC teams. As much as I like our RBs, are any of them going to be a first or second string All SEC? Is there anybody that is going to make opposing DC's think about how they're going to adjust to account for them?

Being solid puts a pretty good floor under us and can maybe get us to 8 regular season wins, but as old and experienced as our OL is this year, we really need to take advantage and make some noise.

We have a record setting QB and several four star receivers and it sounds like Walley might be a candidate to have a senior bump season.

Would love to see this. I thought he was going to be a superstar after his freshman year. I believe he battled some nagging injuries his sophomore year but seems like he just hasn't improved, but I've never heard a single negative thing about attitude or work ethic or anything. Would be nice if he put together a big season.

Really Clark?
08-17-2023, 09:09 AM
I'm telling y'all, if the defense is as salty and fast as they looked at the scrimmage, and the back half keeps coming along quicker than expected then we have at least a Top 5 defense in conference. If the second half offense becomes that consistent for full games and Barbay calls games like he did we will be more consistent and score more points. A lot of y'all would have loved what you saw, even with the edges still rough, from the offense from the scrimmage. 7-5 should be the absolute floor but 9 regular season wins is not crazy.

Saltydog
08-17-2023, 09:10 AM
One thing we do not have on this team is a QB problem. Bama and Auburn have QB situations w/ Bama being the worst. Word is Milroy can run like a deer for huge chunks of yardage but can't throw worth a damn.

That was very apparent from watching him last year but Bama is still Bama and remember they have the kid that transferred from ND (Tyler Buchner) and lot of good but unproven talent at that position.

Really Clark?
08-17-2023, 09:12 AM
6-5 going into the Egg Bowl. Loose and folks will burn their #2 jerseys from the end of a broom handle. Win and go to a bowl game; we'll all shrug and nod it's a good season for the Dawgs in the SEC.

7-5 is our floor IMO. I think a good season is 8-4 / 9-3 depending on how the league actually shakes out.

TrapGame
08-17-2023, 09:39 AM
That was very apparent from watching him last year but Bama is still Bama and remember they have the kid that transferred from ND (Tyler Buchner) and lot of good but unproven talent at that position.

That's just it. Milroy is the best they have so far in camp. Buchner and Simpson are #2 and #3 as of now. Luginbill was on OOB this morning saying Bama has a serious situation with QB.

Captain Falcon
08-17-2023, 10:48 AM

Buchner had more INT?s than TD?s in his career at Notre Dame. I just am not convinced at all that he is the answer for them.

I think by the end of the year they are starting the freshman, Ty Simpson. He has by far the highest ceiling of the group.

Tater
08-17-2023, 11:30 AM
My real worry with this team is that we are solid everywhere on offense but just don't have the high end talent to move the ball well enough against good SEC defenses. We usually have at least one if not more guys (usually at least one lineman and one WR) on offense where you're like, that guy probably shouldn't be a starter in the SEC. I don't know that we have that guy this year. But I also don't know that we have a guy, particularly at a skill position, that is going to wow people and would start for a majority of SEC teams. As much as I like our RBs, are any of them going to be a first or second string All SEC? Is there anybody that is going to make opposing DC's think about how they're going to adjust to account for them?

Being solid puts a pretty good floor under us and can maybe get us to 8 regular season wins, but as old and experienced as our OL is this year, we really need to take advantage and make some noise.

Would love to see this. I thought he was going to be a superstar after his freshman year. I believe he battled some nagging injuries his sophomore year but seems like he just hasn't improved, but I've never heard a single negative thing about attitude or work ethic or anything. Would be nice if he put together a big season.

Tulu has the big play ability like Jameon had. Zavion Thomas is a home run threat a lot like the Fred's were. Walley has the possession receiver aspect in him like a Ross or Morrow. Robinson has the body like Derunnya. Will Rogers has the heart like Dak. The OL is as experienced if not more experienced than the 2014 OL. Marks isn't as good yet as JRob, but his style fits our offense well and I like the backup group better than the backups in 2014. It's gonna go as far as Will can take it, which could in fact be pretty far if he plays to his potential.

Leroy Jenkins
08-17-2023, 01:18 PM
Morrow had hands harder than Roberto Duran, never heard him described as a possession receiver.

Coach34
08-17-2023, 01:32 PM
Morrow had hands harder than Roberto Duran, never heard him described as a possession receiver.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zq7EB9Fbibw

Extendedcab
08-17-2023, 02:04 PM
LOL, nice Coach!

Lord McBuckethead
08-17-2023, 03:49 PM

We don't have a QB problem. We have a QB that cannot or will not throw the ball 30 yards down field and every time he thinks about running he fumbles the ball. Can he throw the ball 30 yards down field with some mustard on it? He is great inside 30 yards, but man sometimes you really need a deep ball just to back the damn safeties off of our guys.

Lord McBuckethead
08-17-2023, 03:51 PM
Tulu has the big play ability like Jameon had. Zavion Thomas is a home run threat a lot like the Fred's were. Walley has the possession receiver aspect in him like a Ross or Morrow. Robinson has the body like Derunnya. Will Rogers has the heart like Dak. The OL is as experienced if not more experienced than the 2014 OL. Marks isn't as good yet as JRob, but his style fits our offense well and I like the backup group better than the backups in 2014. It's gonna go as far as Will can take it, which could in fact be pretty far if he plays to his potential.

I can agree with all of that.

HancockCountyDog
08-17-2023, 04:08 PM

I'll never understand this mindset with this year's team.

We have 26 seniors that I expect to either start or play significant reps. That is unheard of in today's NIL or portal world. This is as experienced a team that you can get. There is a reason we spent our NIL money to keep the team we have. We are a 9-10 win team this year.

Not saying we will get there, but the talent and experience is certainly there.

I'm going to soak this year in, because next year is going to hurt a decent bit. Lets enjoy what we have this season, if you can't, might as well switch sports.

CadaverDawg
08-17-2023, 04:54 PM
We are going to upset Bama this year. I want all the smoke, Message Board Geniuses! It's the year of the Dog, come at me.

HancockCountyDog
08-17-2023, 05:00 PM
We are going to upset Bama this year. I want all the smoke, Message Board Geniuses! It's the year of the Dog, come at me.

That is more like it.

Maverick91
08-17-2023, 05:06 PM
I'll never understand this mindset with this year's team.

We have 26 seniors that I expect to either start or play significant reps. That is unheard of in today's NIL or portal world. This is as experienced a team that you can get. There is a reason we spent our NIL money to keep the team we have. We are a 9-10 win team this year.

Not saying we will get there, but the talent and experience is certainly there.

I'm going to soak this year in, because next year is going to hurt a decent bit. Lets enjoy what we have this season, if you can't, might as well switch sports.

I agree… there is no reason to not win and win big this year. Seniors everywhere, continuity was kept. Everyone is making the case for our oline, I’m sorry all those boys were recruited to run the ball and the splits will not be 3 yards anymore.

TrapGame
08-17-2023, 05:14 PM
We don't have a QB problem. We have a QB that cannot or will not throw the ball 30 yards down field and every time he thinks about running he fumbles the ball. Can he throw the ball 30 yards down field with some mustard on it? He is great inside 30 yards, but man sometimes you really need a deep ball just to back the damn safeties off of our guys.

And knowing we were going to throw the ball 80% of the time the safeties stayed deep. With the added addition of a run game those safeties will be creeping closer to the box now. Hell, if Will can hit consistent 30 yard passes we will be just fine.

Leroy Jenkins
08-17-2023, 05:52 PM
And knowing we were going to throw the ball 80% of the time the safeties stayed deep. With the added addition of a run game those safeties will be creeping closer to the box now. Hell, if Will can hit consistent 30 yard passes we will be just fine.

Bold prediction: We go from last in the SEC in YPA to first.

Coach34
08-17-2023, 07:35 PM
We are going to upset Bama this year.

This is why I lived. I had to see it one more time

Coach34
08-17-2023, 07:37 PM

Here is what you have to realize. Because we arent throwing 50 times a game now- the safeties wont be dropping at the snap. Play Action will force LB's and Safeties out of position. Rogers can now put a little air under the ball and throw it deep. He doesnt have to try and hammer the ball into a small window from 30 yards away anymore

BeardoMSU
08-17-2023, 08:04 PM

I love this post!

CadaverDawg
08-17-2023, 09:29 PM

Well prepare yourself. Just don't go dipping on us again after it happens

TheLostDawg
08-17-2023, 10:05 PM
Here is what you have to realize. Because we arent throwing 50 times a game now- the safeties wont be dropping at the snap. Play Action will force LB's and Safeties out of position. Rogers can now put a little air under the ball and throw it deep. He doesnt have to try and hammer the ball into a small window from 30 yards away anymore

Yes and the fact that he won't be throwing it every snap will hopefully help when he does need to throw deep

TheLostDawg
08-17-2023, 10:06 PM

Yeah but I remember reading about those guys always staying after practice, pushing each other, etc. Nasty determined group. No clue about the guys now. Could be doing the same, just haven't heard it.

sandjunky
11-06-2023, 08:12 PM
Nice stroll through the preseason- 10/10

dawgday166
11-06-2023, 08:19 PM

I don't see mine, yours, or 7's names in this thread. LOL

DEDawg
11-06-2023, 08:25 PM

I remember reading this thread and almost commenting how I think we will struggle to get to 6 wins and figured I was being unfairly pessimistic because I hated the ZA hire lol

BuckyIsAB****
11-06-2023, 08:35 PM

Boy I ate shit on this one

msudawg1200
11-06-2023, 08:37 PM
Man, I thought I wore maroon colored glasses, but Good Lord at some of this stuff. I guess I was wrong also, because I said 6-6, 7-5.

Mjoelner34
11-06-2023, 08:38 PM
I remember reading this thread and almost commenting how I think we will struggle to get to 6 wins and figured I was being unfairly pessimistic because I hated the ZA hire lol

Same. I was expecting the 4 non-con games plus any 2 against UPIG, Auburn, USCe or UK. The only time I put mine on paper was LSU when I think I said 38-10 and got called out for it.

CaptainObvious
11-06-2023, 08:38 PM
Well now to be fair. Playing an SEC schedule with a CUSA roster, these prognostications were just barely off by a couple of games.

DEDawg
11-06-2023, 08:53 PM
Same. I was expecting the 4 non-con games plus any 2 against UPIG, Auburn, USCe or UK. The only time I put mine on paper was LSU when I think I said 38-10 and got called out for it.

It was so easy to see this train wreck coming. Look at it this way: Saban, Kiffin, Freeze, Kelly, Jimbo, Pittman, Arnett?. Two of those names have zero business with the other 5 and their records prove it. I can?t believe we ever thought promoting a DC was the answer. Such a loser thing to do that was clear a bad decision.

CaptainObvious
11-06-2023, 09:00 PM
It was so easy to see this train wreck coming. Look at it this way: Saban, Kiffin, Freeze, Kelly, Jimbo, Pittman, Arnett?. Two of those names have zero business with the other 5 and their records prove it. I can?t believe we ever thought promoting a DC was the answer. Such a loser thing to do that was clear a bad decision.

And totally unnecessary. To me it showed a total lack of respect for coach Leach, replacing him with a wet behind the ears DC with not even a Head Coaching experience at any level. Arnett didn?t even hold the recruiting class together. Parson did!

Our Psych Professors could have done as good a job hiring.

dawgday166
11-06-2023, 09:04 PM
Well now to be fair. Playing an SEC schedule with a CUSA roster, these prognostications were just barely off by a couple of games.

Talent evaluators eh? At least Bucky owns up to it. Some just keep doubling down into a nest of falsehoods.

I actually started out around 8 but cut it to 6 cause of all the changes. Hiring a coach with promises of continuity and then destroying everything about the previous coach doesn't speak "continuity" to me. A lot of rapid changes usually result in a lot of dropoff in performance.

Mjoelner34
11-06-2023, 09:20 PM
And totally unnecessary. To me it showed a total lack of respect for coach Leach, replacing him with a wet behind the ears DC with not even a Head Coaching experience at any level. Arnett didn?t even hold the recruiting class together. Parson did!

This

PMDawg
11-07-2023, 10:25 AM

I only thought it made sense if we kept the entire staff intact and tried to keep everything flowing the way Leach would have (although I would have preferred abandoning the AR altogether and going with a national search for a new HC and staff). But I was okay with the way we went when I thought it was for continuity. Then the firings and hirings caused great concern. However, I was willing to give ZA the benefit of the doubt and take a "wait and see" approach. I waited, I saw...it was stupid. I didn't want to jump to conclusions and wanted to give it a chance, but now in hindsight we can definitely say it was a horrible move.

HancockCountyDog
11-07-2023, 11:44 AM
I agree? there is no reason to not win and win big this year. Seniors everywhere, continuity was kept. Everyone is making the case for our oline, I?m sorry all those boys were recruited to run the ball and the splits will not be 3 yards anymore.

I took a major L on this thread. Apparently it is normal to expect a team with 26 seniors to get worse from the prior season. Who knew.

R2Dawg
11-07-2023, 01:04 PM
Ouch, this thread aged well. I'm not going to call anyone out but my goodness, crow is a popular meal.

The contradiction so many still preach. We don't have enough NIL to buy players, yet heading into the year we spent money on 4 star WR group and all time passing QB but yet that produced the suckiest O ever. So what did that NIL actually buy us again?

I've been saying this all along. NIL don't matter if you waste it on the wrong players. It is just a bad investment which we've done plenty of in players, coaches, etc. Ask TAMU, you can't just buy your championship. Again I'm not saying you don't need some money - you do.

Football is a LOS game, we better get back to getting some nasty OL and DL guys to get back to winning - something we forgot when Mullen left.

defiantdog
11-07-2023, 01:49 PM
I remember reading this thread originally and saying that's a lot of sunshine

MaroonFlounder
11-08-2023, 12:19 PM
Football is a LOS game, we better get back to getting some nasty OL and DL guys to get back to winning - something we forgot when Mullen left.

Bring back Jackie Sherrill.

Problem solved.

R2Dawg
11-08-2023, 01:15 PM
Bring back Jackie Sherrill.

Problem solved.

For all the AR lovers, what is the common thing in the two most successful times in MSU football? The common thing is both programs in 90s (Jackie) and Mullen years is we owned the LOS on both sides of the ball. We get good athletes in MS to play skill positions but LOS is where the sauce is made. Don't have that and the SEC will eat your lunch. How did Bama win all those NC - LOS, UGA - LOS, etc, etc.

Football ain't that hard.

RiverCityDawg
11-08-2023, 06:40 PM
For all the AR lovers, what is the common thing in the two most successful times in MSU football? The common thing is both programs in 90s (Jackie) and Mullen years is we owned the LOS on both sides of the ball. We get good athletes in MS to play skill positions but LOS is where the sauce is made. Don't have that and the SEC will eat your lunch. How did Bama win all those NC - LOS, UGA - LOS, etc, etc.

Football ain't that hard.

Leach always said offensive line was the most important position on the field and if you disagreed you were wrong. He also said he had trouble finding good TEs because he always thought those guys were better off playing DL. So not sure why you are trying to flex on the Air Raid as if Air Raid doesn't think the LOS matters when the Air Raid man himself agrees that it's most important.

Todd4State
11-09-2023, 12:09 AM
Leach always said offensive line was the most important position on the field and if you disagreed you were wrong. He also said he had trouble finding good TEs because he always thought those guys were better off playing DL. So not sure why you are trying to flex on the Air Raid as if Air Raid doesn't think the LOS matters when the Air Raid man himself agrees that it's most important.

It's another Air Raid misconception.

Todd4State
11-09-2023, 12:11 AM
Throwing the ball worries me the least with this team. We have a record setting QB and several four star receivers and it sounds like Walley might be a candidate to have a senior bump season.

Should have been worried about having a complete moron at OC.