PDA

View Full Version : Anybody here watched the netflix doc on Jonny Manziel?

Saltydog
08-14-2023, 03:22 PM
I thought he came from Texas oil money but apparently that was just a cover to protect him from scrutiny from all the income he had rolling in from his autographs. He had $100,000 hid in his mattress. I've got to finish watching it tonight but so far it's good. Sumlin was complicit in all of this and aTm made a killing.

Joebob
08-14-2023, 04:03 PM
Not yet, but I'm going to as soon as my wife renews her Netflix subscription.

RockyDog
08-14-2023, 04:12 PM
I thought he came from Texas oil money but apparently that was just a cover to protect him from scrutiny from all the income he had rolling in from his autographs. He had $100,000 hid in his mattress. I've got to finish watching it tonight but so far it's good. Sumlin was complicit in all of this and aTm made a killing.

Kinda felt bad for his boy, Nate. He got to enjoy the lifestyle for a bit and had to do most of the work to cover up the crootin' bags of money and then got dumped once the legit money started rolling in.

coachnorm
08-14-2023, 07:56 PM
https://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/houston-texas/houston/article/manziel-saga-recalls-family-s-colorful-roots-4723291.php

This is the tame version to start off with. I have asserted, in the past, that certain NCAA officials feared for their lives because of Johnny's family ties. There probably was a good reason for that fear, thus Johnny could sign autographs in public with true confidence that someone had his back.

Coach34
08-14-2023, 08:08 PM
Not yet, but I'm going to as soon as my wife renews her Netflix subscription.

her and the boyfriend need to stay on top of that stuff

lastmajordog
08-14-2023, 08:11 PM
What I appreciate is after JM destroyed Saban and Bama at home the LSU Def coordinator devised a strategy for the DE’s to rush straight in and keep him in the box. Then if he ran it had to be up the middle. LSU absolutely stymied the unstoppable JM. Got to love old school def coordinators.

Coach34
08-14-2023, 08:11 PM
Maybe he is bipolar. Maybe

Or just maybe he was scared of having to actually put in the work to be successful when it wasnt just about talent anymore. That ****er loved playing college football- you could see it every Saturday. He also loved having a good time. Football in the NFL cut into that good time and he couldnt just rely on talent.

Cowbell
08-14-2023, 09:30 PM

Johnny did come from big oil money. I remember when they recruited him because friends of mine (big oil guys) are knowledgeable of his family. Said to be a disfunctional bipolar bunch before Johnny ever got to school. The documentary is just another way to make money and tells just more lies.

Saltydog
08-15-2023, 09:02 AM
Johnny did come from big oil money. I remember when they recruited him because friends of mine (big oil guys) are knowledgeable of his family. Said to be a disfunctional bipolar bunch before Johnny ever got to school. The documentary is just another way to make money and tells just more lies.

I don't think his Father would be selling cars if he truly had big oil money. Now don't get me wrong, they weren't paupers either. The truth is likely somewhere in the middle but according to dead spin and TSN they didn't appear to have multi-generational wealth.

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/sports/nfl/johnny-manziel-oil-money-explained-the-story-behind-great-grandfather-and-familys-texas-roots/ar-AA1f1GHf

coachnorm
08-15-2023, 10:48 AM
I don't think his Father would be selling cars if he truly had big oil money. Now don't get me wrong, they weren't paupers either. The truth is likely somewhere in the middle but according to dead spin and TSN they didn't appear to have multi-generational wealth.

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/sports/nfl/johnny-manziel-oil-money-explained-the-story-behind-great-grandfather-and-familys-texas-roots/ar-AA1f1GHf

Maybe his family ties were more than just his father and biological connections? FAMILY ties could very well extend to the Syrian or Lebanese and Sicilian families that have produced wealth thru organized crime? This stuff reached Dallas and New Orleans possibly from the big boys in New York?

Dawgology
08-15-2023, 12:23 PM
I think the guy had/has tons of God-given talent and he excelled because of that in high school and college football. Due to that talent he was spoiled by donors, boosters, coaches and his parents from the time he showed up in 10th grade. That kind of life catches up with you and those enablers that supported that lifestyle and those choices just fed his spoiled brat mentality. It got way out of control. Then he made it to the NFL where everyone is talented and hard work makes you rise to the top but he didn’t have any hard work left in him so he pouted, partied and left. He’s set for life monetarily if he’s smart with his money…but he probably won’t be so…

Goldendawg
08-15-2023, 01:46 PM
I think the guy had/has tons of God-given talent and he excelled because of that in high school and college football. Due to that talent he was spoiled by donors, boosters, coaches and his parents from the time he showed up in 10th grade. That kind of life catches up with you and those enablers that supported that lifestyle and those choices just fed his spoiled brat mentality. It got way out of control. Then he made it to the NFL where everyone is talented and hard work makes you rise to the top but he didn’t have any hard work left in him so he pouted, partied and left. He’s set for life monetarily if he’s smart with his money…but he probably won’t be so…

This fall is what is going to happen to many NIL college player$ when they are not good enough to make the NFL.

Maverick91
08-15-2023, 01:58 PM
Really sad documentary. I was 100 fooled by him. I thought he was just a once in a lifetime talent, think Vince Young. But man how hard he feel.

Really grateful he isn?t dead. I feel like his story is the story that ends up dead in a ditch from drug overdose or drunk driving.

Edit: really shows how bad of a team manager Kevin Sumlin was.

Goldendawg
08-15-2023, 02:18 PM
Sumlin's career also went into freefall.

Dawgology
08-15-2023, 06:49 PM
Really sad documentary. I was 100 fooled by him. I thought he was just a once in a lifetime talent, think Vince Young. But man how hard he feel.

Really grateful he isn?t dead. I feel like his story is the story that ends up dead in a ditch from drug overdose or drunk driving.

Edit: really shows how bad of a team manager Kevin Sumlin was.

Yeah. I had that feeling too. Several things he said seemed like a cry for help. With that said…he really was something out on the college football field. Once in a lifetime type player. If he had stayed on target I have no doubt he would have been a lasting legend in college football and the NFL.

Saltydog
08-15-2023, 07:45 PM
Kingsbury knew he was sweating out alcohol before the State game. My question is this, did they not have a curfew? Sumlin wouldn't even be interviewed for the documentary and there's a reason why.

Coach34
08-15-2023, 08:45 PM
Kingsbury knew he was sweating out alcohol before the State game. My question is this, did they not have a curfew? Sumlin wouldn't even be interviewed for the documentary and there's a reason why.

Sumlin doesnt want to answer questions about looking the other way or having different rules for Johnny vs other players

RockyDog
08-16-2023, 10:42 AM

They didn't explicitly state it, but it looked to me like he was broke and living with his parents. His sister even said something like Johnny doesn't do much these days. He was still shotgunning beers on the back porch with his bros like a frat boy so it didn't seem like too much has changed.

ScoobaDawg
08-16-2023, 10:57 AM
He's evidently opening a bar in CS in the next few weeks "Johnny's Money Bar"

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/former-texas-a-m-star-johnny-manziel-opening-money-bar-nightclub-in-college-station/

Lord McBuckethead
08-16-2023, 11:24 AM
This fall is what is going to happen to many NIL college player$ when they are not good enough to make the NFL.

Agreed. Hand young people a bunch of money they earn or didn't earn and when it he faucet gets turned off..... shit is going to get rough for the ones that really were not mature enough or smart enough to go to college in the first place.

TrapGame
08-16-2023, 11:27 AM
Whatever happened to that fine ass blonde he was dating? She was a stone cold hottie.

Saltydog
08-16-2023, 03:19 PM
He's evidently opening a bar in CS in the next few weeks "Johnny's Money Bar"

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/former-texas-a-m-star-johnny-manziel-opening-money-bar-nightclub-in-college-station/

Nothing could go wrong with that (rolls eyes).

Turfdawg67
08-16-2023, 06:22 PM
Yes. Real POS. He should have to return his Heisman like Reggie Bush did. Saw a few of the scores of him vs State on there, and really made me long for Mullen... lol. Good thing Johnny Football left for the pros or that one phenom season may have gone down the drain earlier rather than later.

Turfdawg67
08-16-2023, 06:28 PM
Sumlin doesnt want to answer questions about looking the other way or having different rules for Johnny vs other players

He had no choice. Money people and his bosses said look the other way or you're gone. Are y'all really being this naive on here?

DownwardDawg
08-16-2023, 07:16 PM
He had no choice. Money people and his bosses said look the other way or you're gone. Are y'all really being this naive on here?

Plus Sumlin wouldn't have won crap without johnnie. He had the best player in college football and everyone thought he was this great coach.

EdwardDrayton
08-16-2023, 08:32 PM
"What Johnny needed was to be held accountable. When you turn your son over to a coach and a program they're supposed to not only teach him how to play football, they are responsible to turn him into a good young man.

--- Johnny Manziel's dad, Paul Manziel

Yeah, pretty sure that was you and your wife's job, Paul.