PDA

View Full Version : Quote from Barbay that is beautiful

BHildreth3
08-13-2023, 01:28 PM
Reading this was amazing?from GenesPage?

?It's all about adapting to the strength of your players that you have each week. The reality of college football is that each week is a little bit different. What you have in week 3 might be completely different in week 11 or 12 in this league."

trojandawg
08-13-2023, 06:52 PM
Yea an no. Always good to have an identity on offense and know who you are. I like that he adapts but you got to know who you are by week 2-3 and go with that

BeardoMSU
08-13-2023, 07:08 PM
Tell it to Cole Pubic**

Offshore Dawg
08-13-2023, 07:49 PM
Yea an no. Always good to have an identity on offense and know who you are. I like that he adapts but you got to know who you are by week 2-3 and go with that

I don't think that is what he meant; He might be hinting to play the hot hand that week.

bigbub50
08-13-2023, 08:46 PM
I don't think that is what he meant; He might be hinting to play the hot hand that week.

I took it to mean with injuries, u could not have the same options from week to week.

bulldawg28
08-13-2023, 08:52 PM
It's different because the opponent is different. Which is what it should be, attacking the new opponents weaknesses weekly.

MrCoachKlein
08-13-2023, 09:18 PM
Tell it to Cole Pubic**

What'd Cole say that has everyone riled up?

Cowbell
08-13-2023, 09:25 PM
It's different because the opponent is different. Which is what it should be, attacking the new opponents weaknesses weekly.

You get it.

It's why Freeze is a problem. He finds your weakness and exploits it.

A good OC has to find a different mismatch every week especially when you aren't playing with a top 10 recruiting team.

Cowbell
08-13-2023, 09:27 PM

A really good Offense is not about doing what you do - that will win games as Leach proved. A great offense makes adjustments to find and exploit weaknesses on the opponent. You can do what you do and also make tweaks to exploit defenses. Like Saban did when he put Tua out there in the title game.

Todd4State
08-13-2023, 11:00 PM

He had the audacity to say that our players were going to have to make adjustments this year.

You get it.

It's why Freeze is a problem. He finds your weakness and exploits it.

A good OC has to find a different mismatch every week especially when you aren't playing with a top 10 recruiting team.

Hugh Freeze has an offensive identity though. Very much so.

A really good Offense is not about doing what you do - that will win games as Leach proved. A great offense makes adjustments to find and exploit weaknesses on the opponent. You can do what you do and also make tweaks to exploit defenses. Like Saban did when he put Tua out there in the title game.

The reality is it's all the same. You're either attacking space or one on one match ups. Comes down to the players that you have vs the other team. When Tua beat Georgia Alabama's receiver beat the Georgia DB badly- or it was a coverage bust. It has been awhile. There's nothing magical about calling a go route.

At some point as an offense you have to figure out what YOU do well and take advantage of that.

Captain Falcon
08-13-2023, 11:59 PM

There is a false narrative that we are going under center a lot this year and many attribute it to Cubelic. It has definitely been discussed by others. I have definitely seen him refer to Rogers ?turning his back to the defense? which could be partially true we run certain plays out of the pistol but I am not sure it is this massive deal that he and others have made it out to be.

Todd4State
08-14-2023, 01:00 AM
There is a false narrative that we are going under center a lot this year and many attribute it to Cubelic. It has definitely been discussed by others. I have definitely seen him refer to Rogers ?turning his back to the defense? which could be partially true we run certain plays out of the pistol but I am not sure it is this massive deal that he and others have made it out to be.

Yeah. A lot of MSU fans have blown it out of proportion. I mean, if he is wrong he is wrong. I could definitely think of worse things than being under center. NFL teams are under center all the time.

TaleofTwoDogs
08-14-2023, 01:29 AM
Coach Barbay said recently that only about 5% of our plays will be under center. Looks like the wishbone is out.

Reason2succeed
08-14-2023, 04:12 AM
I think a lot of commentators are picking Mississippi State last and coming up with these crazy reasons to rank us last PARTIALLY in order to protect Coach Arnett. They want to keep the expectations low so it is easier for us to meet and exceed them.

I don?t think Cubelic is this dumb. If he really watches as much film aa he claims then he should know that Barbay hardly calls plays under center and that play action is a minor part. Plus, he should know that if Will struggled with these we wouldn?t do it in a game.

TrapGame
08-14-2023, 10:19 AM
I watched the Cubelic video. He was speaking out of shear ignorance of the current scheme. Nothing against him, but he has a podcast that needs to be filled with something. Going from Air Raid to Barbay's offense is not going to be this huge ordeal. Growing pains? Sure, but we will have a functioning offense capable of scoring points.

Jarius
08-14-2023, 10:28 AM

Cole said some exceptionally stupid comments, then got called out for them and then crawfished on his show yesterday and acted like he didn't say that at all. We aren't going under center much at all, and now he says that we aren't going under center because we tried it and it failed, not because we didn't want to. He acts like running zone is something so far different for the OL than what we have been doing, and if you ask any half assed high school OL coach in the country they will tell you that our ol changing the way we block zone (because we have been running zone just in a different way) isn't going to be a big deal, particularly with every single starter we have being here for at least 4 years. The bottom line is he did half assed research and got called out because the national and regional media do it every single year to MSU. They look for whatever reason they can to say "MSU is going to go 6-6" and then act like eveyrone else in our league has answers to their questions while we don't. People like him need to get called out for their stupidity.

Jarius
08-14-2023, 10:30 AM
Yeah. A lot of MSU fans have blown it out of proportion. I mean, if he is wrong he is wrong. I could definitely think of worse things than being under center. NFL teams are under center all the time.

He used us going under center as a reason we were going to go 6-6. He did it on the radio. He did half assed research on a school he had preconceived notions on because god forbid he actually do his job and make an informed decision. It's just MSU. No one will care.

Todd4State
08-14-2023, 11:43 AM
He used us going under center as a reason we were going to go 6-6. He did it on the radio. He did half assed research on a school he had preconceived notions on because god forbid he actually do his job and make an informed decision. It's just MSU. No one will care.

Hard to do research on a guy that claims to adapt his offense wherever he goes and has like two years of experience in D1 as an OC, a first year head coach, and a first year DC who have a grand total of one game coached in that capacity.

Now does that mean everything is going to hell in a hand basket? No. But the media is going to err on the side of caution. You really shouldn't be that surprised. If Ole Miss had an unknown head coach, OC, and DC what do you think we would be predicting?

99jc
08-14-2023, 12:50 PM
Hard to do research on a guy that claims to adapt his offense wherever he goes and has like two years of experience in D1 as an OC, a first year head coach, and a first year DC who have a grand total of one game coached in that capacity.

Now does that mean everything is going to hell in a hand basket? No. But the media is going to err on the side of caution. You really shouldn't be that surprised. If Ole Miss had an unknown head coach, OC, and DC what do you think we would be predicting?

12-0

Jarius
08-14-2023, 02:05 PM

I don't know what we would be predicting, but I can promise you the media would not be predicting them to win 5 or 6 games.....and if a coach is brought in and says he's going to adapt to his personnel and his personnel hasn't taken a snap under center in 5 years, I would probably come up with some other bullshit than "they are going under center" to claim that's why that team is going to get worse after winning 9 games and bringing back a bunch of 25 year olds. If the question is "can Arnett sustain a program long term?".....then yea we all have questions. Joe Moorhead, who was awful, won 8 games with a roster that was old and had talent. It generally takes a year or 2 to drop off if a guy doesn't know how to run a program if the program is already built.