PDA

View Full Version : This video of app state last year against Texas A$M will give us a good idea of the

99jc
08-12-2023, 10:25 AM
offensive scheme we will see under Barbay. this video only shows App States offensive plays.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=22SKj5b58lU

HancockCountyDog
08-12-2023, 11:25 AM
I just don't believe we will be that run heavy. They ran it 50 times and passed it 30 times. That won't work against SEC teams with a competent offense. They only gained 3.8 yards per play. They won that game because Jimbo thinks it is 2010.

I have always thought we needed to run the ball to be more successful, and i think our defense has carried us a bunch the last few years, so I'm excited to see us run the ball more, but we won't be running it at a 60/40 rate.

confucius say
08-12-2023, 04:40 PM
Thanks for posting. Good stuff.

I expect us to be more run than pass for sure

Captain Falcon
08-12-2023, 05:07 PM
I just don't believe we will be that run heavy. They ran it 50 times and passed it 30 times. That won't work against SEC teams with a competent offense. They only gained 3.8 yards per play. They won that game because Jimbo thinks it is 2010.

I have always thought we needed to run the ball to be more successful, and i think our defense has carried us a bunch the last few years, so I'm excited to see us run the ball more, but we won't be running it at a 60/40 rate.

I mean App State ran it 57% of the time last year and Central Michigan ran it 65% of the time in 2021. So there is a good chance we are around those splits too.

TrapGame
08-12-2023, 05:24 PM
Check out the UNC game too. App State was more pass than run b/c their defense couldn't stop UNC's offense. Barbay made some great adjustments in that game.

bigbub50
08-12-2023, 05:25 PM
Good playing calling here. Either app states d excelling or Tex am o pissing their leg, or a combination there of didn?t require barbay to call exotic high risk/ high reward plays. App states skill guys were not winning one on ones and Barbay did a great job of pounding the ball until a couple runs busted at the end. If AM had a pulse on offense, he would have had to be more risky in his play calling. App state dominated time of possession and you could tell AMs defense was gassed at the end of the game.

Pancho
08-12-2023, 06:21 PM
Petrino will either save Jumbo or go ahead and be the end of Jumbo

Leroy Jenkins
08-12-2023, 06:51 PM
Petrino will either save Jumbo or go ahead and be the end of Jumbo

If he's good enough to save Jimbo he'll get some better HC offers after the season than Missouri State.

Reason2succeed
08-12-2023, 07:13 PM
If he's good enough to save Jimbo he'll get some better HC offers after the season than Missouri State.

Or A&M will make Jimbo watch as Petrino coaches the team so they don?t have to pay his buyout.

I won?t call this arrangement what I want to call it because this is a family show but they will make Jimbo a CC.

SpaceBully
08-13-2023, 12:55 AM
offensive scheme we will see under Barbay. this video only shows App States offensive plays.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=22SKj5b58lU

Yeah, expect us to be about 60/40 run/pass including the QB runs. Not sure we have a back as big as the AppSt. back was. He was pounding it pretty hard in the middle. I don't see Rogers running and scrambling like Brice was, but I can envision Tulu on the receiving end of a lot of those screen passes.

Todd4State
08-13-2023, 02:41 AM

Exactly. Texas A&M putting up 14 on App State is Croom-esque. And if it wasn't for Jimbo being out of date no one in our fanbase is talking about that game. That said, I expect our defense to carry us again. It is what it is.

I mean App State ran it 57% of the time last year and Central Michigan ran it 65% of the time in 2021. So there is a good chance we are around those splits too.

Not if he really does adjust to his personnel as he claims. In fact IF he does we'll probably see us passing the ball 60% of the time and running it 40%. We have one of the best QB's in SEC history and three four star receivers who should start in Robinson, Tulu, and Zavion. Then it sounds like Walley is getting his senior bump as a player. I think he has a big year. I haven't even mentioned Freddie Roberson, Jamal Mosley, and Creed Whitmore. Two of those three guys are four stars too. Antonio Harmon is a good player too- I would start him if I were in their shoes. I'm not saying our running backs are slouches- we just have way more weapons in the passing game.

Good playing calling here. Either app states d excelling or Tex am o pissing their leg, or a combination there of didn?t require barbay to call exotic high risk/ high reward plays. App states skill guys were not winning one on ones and Barbay did a great job of pounding the ball until a couple runs busted at the end. If AM had a pulse on offense, he would have had to be more risky in his play calling. App state dominated time of possession and you could tell AMs defense was gassed at the end of the game.
A&M had a big turnover that gave App State a short field and they cashed in as well. That was obviously very impactful in this game.

Or A&M will make Jimbo watch as Petrino coaches the team so they don?t have to pay his buyout.

I won?t call this arrangement what I want to call it because this is a family show but they will make Jimbo a CC.

I don't see that turning out well. My guess is they kept Jimbo around because of his buyout and probably plan to transition to Petrino at some point or they plan on making Petrino the interim sometime this season and then blow it all up and start over. Either way this all ends the same.

Todd4State
08-13-2023, 02:45 AM
Yeah, expect us to be about 60/40 run/pass including the QB runs. Not sure we have a back as big as the AppSt. back was. He was pounding it pretty hard in the middle. I don't see Rogers running and scrambling like Brice was, but I can envision Tulu on the receiving end of a lot of those screen passes.

App State had three quality Sun Belt running backs, a lot worse WR room than us, and as you said Will won't be running it as much. If he does run Will like that he will stop after game one I can assure you. App State has been run first for years and running that offense for years. They were built for that scheme or what they want to do.

So like I said I don't see 60% run this year.

Coach34
08-13-2023, 09:37 AM
I think we will be around 50/50. Probably when all is said and done about 53-55% run and 45% or so pass

KOdawg1
08-13-2023, 09:53 AM
We'll pass less, but our YPC will be higher.

TrapGame
08-13-2023, 10:37 AM
Petrino is going to throw Jimbo under the motorcycle every chance he gets. I'm more worried about Petrino being the future head coach at A&M than the OC. Jimbo and Petrino are oil and water. Every coaching decision Jimbo makes will be under a microscope. One of them will be gone by the end of the season and my money is that it's Jimbo.

Todd4State
08-13-2023, 12:28 PM

You mean YPA?

coachnorm
08-13-2023, 01:19 PM

Great statement because offensive production is yards achieved and not percentage of passes attempted compared to running plays. Just remember, one completion of 50 yards is better than nine completions of five yards. When a quarterback senses the pass protection is breaking down and launches a contested catch instead of taking the sack or causing an offensive holding call on the O Line, you have improved your pass attack even though there is less passing.

Cowbell
08-13-2023, 01:47 PM
The craziest thing about that game is the amount of missed opportunities by app state. That qb missed some wide open tds, some were dropped, and they couldn't block that well, and were not talented at RB. Imagine our talent in this game....

KOdawg1
08-13-2023, 03:19 PM
You mean YPA?

Yep, my bad