PDA

View Full Version : How Much Playing Time Does Wright Get vs SELA?

TrapGame
08-11-2023, 09:03 AM
I'm thinking he gets almost all of the 4th quarter. Barbay probably has some situational packages just for him but he needs some live action first.

trojandawg
08-11-2023, 09:08 AM
I think we see more of younger guys playing under Barbay and CZA than we did under leach. Not as much about reps and stats for one guy. Get reps for backup. All it takes is one bad play and will might not play. So get him reps. Get parsons reps too.

gtowndawg
08-11-2023, 09:46 AM
I think we see more of younger guys playing under Barbay and CZA than we did under leach. Not as much about reps and stats for one guy. Get reps for backup. All it takes is one bad play and will might not play. So get him reps. Get parsons reps too.

That also helps with recruiting. It's hard to go somewhere knowing you will see little to no action (even in blowouts) for 2 or 3 years.

DownwardDawg
08-11-2023, 09:57 AM

I agree. That's one of the things that drove me crazy about Leach. I never understood why our backup QB's didn't get more playing time at end of games.

TrapGame
08-11-2023, 10:03 AM
It's kind of amazing to go back and watch that App State/A&M game in its entirety. Barbay had a genius game plan. You see App State without their starting RB still wear down A&M's defense over those four quarters. And watching A&M's defense bite on every play action pass was beautiful. App State/Barbay forced them to respect the run. And we have a much better RBs than App State.

trojandawg
08-11-2023, 10:24 AM
Definitely looking forward to seeing more creativity that 6 plays

Captain Falcon
08-11-2023, 11:02 AM
I will say that SE LA is probably going to be the best FCS team we have played in a while. We should still handle them. But don’t freak the heck out if it’s not 28-0 after the first quarter.

I will be shocked if we don’t end up winning comfortably, but not all FCS teams are created equal. I will be pissed if we ever schedule one of the Dakota state schools.

Reason2succeed
08-11-2023, 11:03 AM
If it were me I would try to preserve Mike Wright as a redshirt. I would have a bunch of gadget plays for him that I would use versus LSU, Alabama, and any other team that is beating us in the 3rd quarter. I would trot out Wright and give their defense something different and hopefully create a spark on offense.

By preserving his redshirt then he, Flowers and Parson could compete for the starting job for the next two years. I would give Parson or other backups the mop up duty this year while preserving his redshirt as well.

TrapGame
08-11-2023, 11:06 AM
I will say that SE LA is probably going to be the best FCS team we have played in a while. We should still handle them. But don’t freak the heck out if it’s not 28-0 after the first quarter.

I will be shocked if we don’t end up winning comfortably, but not all FCS teams are created equal. I will be pissed if we ever schedule one of the Dakota state schools.

I expect 28-3 at halftime. Will is in until it's 35-3 and then we pull starters and rotate QBs with Wright getting most of the snaps. The final score 45-17.

Captain Falcon
08-11-2023, 12:27 PM
I expect 28-3 at halftime. Will is in until it's 35-3 and then we pull starters and rotate QBs with Wright getting most of the snaps. The final score 45-17.

My understanding is they lost a ton on defense so we should score plenty. They?re usually pretty potent offensively so I won?t be shocked if we give up a little bit. Your score seems reasonable.

Coach34
08-11-2023, 12:48 PM
If it were me I would try to preserve Mike Wright as a redshirt. I would have a bunch of gadget plays for him that I would use versus LSU, Alabama, and any other team that is beating us in the 3rd quarter. I would trot out Wright and give their defense something different and hopefully create a spark on offense.

By preserving his redshirt then he, Flowers and Parson could compete for the starting job for the next two years. I would give Parson or other backups the mop up duty this year while preserving his redshirt as well.

Probably wouldnt be able to talk Wright into staying in college for 6 years- but you never know.

Todd4State
08-11-2023, 12:55 PM

Why would we redshirt Wright? That doesn't make any sense.

Todd4State
08-11-2023, 12:58 PM

SELU? We'll blow them out. If we don't we have major issues. They went 9-4 last year which is good but they're not North Dakota State good. They could barely score on Louisiana Lafayette and Florida Atlantic hung 40+ on them.

confucius say
08-11-2023, 02:51 PM
I'd much rather play usm first game and sela the week before the egg bowl. That week is a trap game week and where we should play our fcs opponent.

TrapGame
08-11-2023, 03:12 PM
I'd much rather play usm first game and sela the week before the egg bowl. That week is a trap game week and where we should play our fcs opponent.

That USM doesn't exist anymore. Firing Bower destroyed that program.

Todd4State
08-11-2023, 05:02 PM

Modern college football destroyed USM. Would have happened with or without Jeff Bower.

confucius say
08-11-2023, 05:04 PM
But they are more dangerous than sela.
Plus it's their Super Bowl and we will be sleep walking. Whereas we would be up to play them opening weekend.

And it's not usm I worry about as much as the energy required to play usm. It's hard to get rig it back up on short rest for OM.

Reason2succeed
08-12-2023, 05:37 AM
Why would we redshirt Wright? That doesn't make any sense.

You redshirt him because he can still play four games and maintain his redshirt. If you watch him play at Vandy you know that his passing is subpar and needs to develop which is likely why he lost the Vandy job.

He is incredibly smart and an incredible athlete that is intent on playing QB. That is why he may want to redshirt in order to give him more opportunity to develop and start at QB.

bigbub50
08-12-2023, 08:35 AM

Keep in mind, will Rodgers has another year of eligibility if he wants it after this season.

Leroy Jenkins
08-12-2023, 11:24 AM
Keep in mind, will Rodgers has another year of eligibility if he wants it after this season.

Talk about putting some records out of reach, that would be some crazy stats.

This is just speculation but, I think Barbay would prefer Parson next year.

HancockCountyDog
08-12-2023, 11:27 AM

USM is better than they have been. We still win by 14+ but they have gotten better. I bet they win 8 games this year.

HancockCountyDog
08-12-2023, 11:29 AM

Ive always thought the backup QB is the most loved player on the roster, but this is next level.

BuckyIsAB****
08-13-2023, 11:51 AM
But they are more dangerous than sela.
Plus it's their Super Bowl and we will be sleep walking. Whereas we would be up to play them opening weekend.

And it's not usm I worry about as much as the energy required to play usm. It's hard to get rig it back up on short rest for OM.

It is cool to play them back to back but whoever put that game there needs to be told never do it again. Would much rather play ETSU like last year

Really Clark?
08-13-2023, 12:55 PM

Don't be surprised if Wright is not our starting QB next season. Especially if his passing is as good as it looked yesterday.

Todd4State
08-13-2023, 01:05 PM
It is cool to play them back to back but whoever put that game there needs to be told never do it again. Would much rather play ETSU like last year

The guy that did that is at Auburn. Maybe he'll schedule UAB before the Iron Bowl?

Todd4State
08-13-2023, 01:07 PM
Don't be surprised if Wright is not our starting QB next season. Especially if his passing is as good as it looked yesterday.

Surely we didn't recruit him without the promise of having the opportunity to win the job in 2024.

confucius say
08-13-2023, 03:51 PM

Correct. Horrible scheduling. I'm good with playing usm, but as the opener when both teams are raring to go.