PDA

View Full Version : CZA post-practice

Leroy Jenkins
08-04-2023, 02:28 PM
https://youtu.be/Eg38O-VpL4Q

I don't know if this group will be good at football, but they'll be harder than woodpecker lips.

TrapGame
08-04-2023, 02:58 PM
"South Farm is now a right of passage to play on this team."

This team is going to be tougher than petrified leather. We ain't gonna be soft. If we get the offense clicking we are going to surprise some folks.

SPMT
08-04-2023, 03:10 PM
"South Farm is now a right of passage to play on this team."

This team is going to be tougher than petrified leather. We ain't gonna be soft. If we get the offense clicking we are going to surprise some folks.

The hallmark of MSU has and should always be tough teams in all three sports.

We lost it with Polk ii and have again currently on baseball. Hopefully we get that back.

Reason2succeed
08-04-2023, 03:48 PM
I love his transparency and his quick wit. I almost died laughing at his response about Isaac Smith. This dude gets it! HailState

Goldendawg
08-04-2023, 08:03 PM
Thanks for the link. Won't be long until kickoff. 7-5 floor and 9-3 ceiling! Hail State!

Cowbell
08-04-2023, 08:05 PM
The hallmark of MSU has and should always be tough teams in all three sports.

We lost it with Polk ii and have again currently on baseball. Hopefully we get that back.

Just think if Moorhead what have gotten another year...

Goldendawg
08-04-2023, 08:10 PM
Just think if Moorhead what have gotten another year...

Moorhead took them to the water park, Zach to the South Farm. I remember when opponents said they hated playing our hard nosed, tough teams even if they won. Hope those days are back and we win many more than we lose! Hail State!

Cowbell
08-04-2023, 08:38 PM
I guess most of the guys on here know that CCA won state championships in high school baseball. Can he just coach our baseball team too - he is the opposite of Lemonis.

TrapGame
08-04-2023, 08:58 PM
Moorhead took them to the water park, Zach to the South Farm. I remember when opponents said they hated playing our hard nosed, tough teams even if they won. Hope those days are back and we win many more than we lose! Hail State!

Damn straight. Watching Kansas State push our guys around on both sides of the ball in 2019 pissed me off.

Offshore Dawg
08-04-2023, 09:14 PM
Hopefully, gone are the days of them being a bunch of limp D***s

Rawdawg
08-05-2023, 08:55 AM
Moorhead was asked once about moving away from the farm and basically said ?why would I not use all of these facilities designed for football and player safety over a farm?? And that?s understandable until I went to a Moorhead practice and it was like watching a flag football camp.

R2Dawg
08-05-2023, 09:00 AM
Moorhead was asked once about moving away from the farm and basically said ?why would I not use all of these facilities designed for football and player safety over a farm?? And that?s understandable until I went to a Moorhead practice and it was like watching a flag football camp.

Bulldog football is back. CZA gets it. He is all Dawg. South farm, bull castration, etc.

We'll see how the on field coaching goes but CZA looks like a great fit for MSU. Some others just were not MSU fits.

Remember Moorhead fall camp at Geyser Springs using the facilities.

somebodyshotmypaw
08-05-2023, 11:53 AM
There are so many things that go into being a successful head football coach. Some of those things the coach can control, and some the coach can't control. Only time will tell if Arnett is a good head coach. But I don't think I've ever had a head coach at MSU in any sport that I have wished success on more than Arnett. I really want this guy to succeed. I can't put my finger on it, but there is just something about him that makes me root for him. There is just something about him that is the right mix of likeability, hardass, edge, old-school, and new-school. I really want him to succeed.

ZedFedder
08-05-2023, 01:41 PM
We were tough with Leach, too. I think Arnett can potentially take us to the next level, though.

MrCoachKlein
08-06-2023, 09:59 AM
There are so many things that go into being a successful head football coach. Some of those things the coach can control, and some the coach can't control. Only time will tell if Arnett is a good head coach. But I don't think I've ever had a head coach at MSU in any sport that I have wished success on more than Arnett. I really want this guy to succeed. I can't put my finger on it, but there is just something about him that makes me root for him. There is just something about him that is the right mix of likeability, hardass, edge, old-school, and new-school. I really want him to succeed.

100%

Reason2succeed
08-06-2023, 01:29 PM

I could not have said it better myself. I can see what everyone else saw in him. He is just a dude. He is teachable and has a lot of head coaching experience surrounding him. I think we are in good hands.

Tater
08-06-2023, 03:27 PM
That interview sounded like Saban giving and interview. Quick witted, diplomatic.

Todd4State
08-06-2023, 05:27 PM
That interview sounded like Saban giving and interview. Quick witted, diplomatic.

Saban would have gone on some rant about NIL or teams leaving conferences and scare reporters.

MrCoachKlein
08-06-2023, 05:38 PM
Saban would have gone on some rant about NIL or teams leaving conferences and scare reporters.

Bitched about hurry up offense and tried to change the rules. IMO Satan is Rev Freeze on the defensive side without the moral issues. Wins by cheating and paying for players better than anyone else. Satan is smarter about it by having underlings handle the Dirty work.

msstate7
08-06-2023, 06:14 PM
What's the word out of practice? Is offense holding their own vs defense?

Tater
08-06-2023, 07:16 PM

For every one of those interviews that Saban gives, he gives 20 like what Zach did there.

Coach34
08-06-2023, 07:19 PM
What's the word out of practice? Is offense holding their own vs defense?

The offense is torching the defense

TrapGame
08-06-2023, 07:34 PM

Well, that's interesting.

msstate7
08-06-2023, 07:41 PM

This is encouraging. I think our D will be avg to above avg

BeardoMSU
08-06-2023, 08:05 PM

Clearly not used to defending the wishbone***

trob115
08-06-2023, 09:35 PM
Some folks are going to be pleasantly surprised with our receivers. Robinson appears to have figured some stuff out. "Noodle arm" has been looking pretty good. Running backs have a nice little competitive group and we aren't going to miss DJ. I think we will surprise all these expert pundits.

Coach34
08-06-2023, 10:04 PM
Well, that's interesting.

lol- I was joking. They are in shorts and helmets. Nobody is ahead of anybody yet

Coach34
08-06-2023, 10:04 PM
Some folks are going to be pleasantly surprised with our receivers. Robinson appears to have figured some stuff out. "Noodle arm" has been looking pretty good. Running backs have a nice little competitive group and we aren't going to miss DJ. I think we will surprise all these expert pundits.

We will be pretty good offensively when all is said and done

Cowbell
08-07-2023, 06:19 AM

You know DJ be missing us right now though....we are in good shape at RB

Captain Falcon
08-07-2023, 08:29 AM
We were tough with Leach, too. I think Arnett can potentially take us to the next level, though.

Yeah, I thought we were tough under Leach as well. We were SOOOFT under Moorhead though, save for guys like Simmons. I still think back on the 2018 Kentucky game and how we had all those penalties and totally lost our cool. Of all teams, you are going to let freaking Kentucky get under your skin? This was when we had won like 8 of the last 9 against them, too.

TrapGame
08-07-2023, 08:41 AM
lol- I was joking. They are in shorts and helmets. Nobody is ahead of anybody yet

Yep, he's back to normal.

PMDawg
08-07-2023, 10:12 AM
Yeah, I thought we were tough under Leach as well. We were SOOOFT under Moorhead though, save for guys like Simmons. I still think back on the 2018 Kentucky game and how we had all those penalties and totally lost our cool. Of all teams, you are going to let freaking Kentucky get under your skin? This was when we had won like 8 of the last 9 against them, too.

The individual players were tough under Leach. The offensive scheme didn't lend itself to just running people over. I think the new scheme will help with that.

RiverCityDawg
08-07-2023, 12:26 PM

Yeah he went to a team that passed it 6th most in the country this year. Would have been better for him to have stayed if he actually wants to run it more.

confucius say
08-07-2023, 01:06 PM
The individual players were tough under Leach. The offensive scheme didn't lend itself to just running people over. I think the new scheme will help with that.

The personnel won't. We're not going to line up and run over Bama, lsu, ky, auburn, Aggie.
But the scheme could help us run the ball decently. See lane.

msudawglb
08-07-2023, 01:39 PM
Saban is just beginning his journey to becoming Polk 2.0. The more he loses to Georgia, the more he's going to get on the soapbox of NIL/Portal issues.

Jarius
08-07-2023, 06:50 PM

DJ leaving this team was exceptionally overblown as far as the importance of it goes. Running backs are a dime a dozen. He won’t be drafted. He’s just a decent tailback

bulldawg28
08-07-2023, 08:01 PM
The personnel won't. We're not going to line up and run over Bama, lsu, ky, auburn, Aggie.
But the scheme could help us run the ball decently. See lane.

The only team we haven't been able to line up and run it recently is Alabama. The remaining teams mentioned have been torched and felt the ground and pound throughly by us.

ScooterDog
08-07-2023, 09:37 PM
Agree with U msudog, and don?t forget lsu and tnn that they lost to last year. I just hope Bama keeps on loosing to these teams.

Todd4State
08-07-2023, 11:58 PM
DJ leaving this team was exceptionally overblown as far as the importance of it goes. Running backs are a dime a dozen. He won’t be drafted. He’s just a decent tailback

He was needed for depth. No question in my mind our running game would be stronger with him.

Todd4State
08-08-2023, 12:00 AM
Saban is just beginning his journey to becoming Polk 2.0. The more he loses to Georgia, the more he's going to get on the soapbox of NIL/Portal issues.

His biggest issue is he loses so much of his staff every year. It would be like us literally having the same head coach and then changing the rest of the staff completely over every two years. It's hard to have consistency and continuity when that happens. And there are only so many Kirby Smart's and Sarkisian's he can hire as coordinators.

Jarius
08-08-2023, 06:50 AM
He was needed for depth. No question in my mind our running game would be stronger with him.

He was replaced exceptionally easily and there will be zero noticeable difference in our talent at tailback. Lee is a very solid tailback.

Leroy Jenkins
08-08-2023, 07:07 AM
He was replaced exceptionally easily and there will be zero noticeable difference in our talent at tailback. Lee is a very solid tailback.

It's only a couple days in, but it looks like Lee and Pittman are 2 and 3 behind Marks. Price, who I expected to have a good year, is currently 4th. Again, it's only been 1 day in pads.

confucius say
08-08-2023, 10:35 AM
The only team we haven't been able to line up and run it recently is Alabama. The remaining teams mentioned have been torched and felt the ground and pound throughly by us.

Not with this OL. We're not running over lsu and Aggie. Prob not KY or auburn either. Wait and see on OM, Ark, and USCe

Tater
08-08-2023, 11:18 AM
It's only a couple days in, but it looks like Lee and Pittman are 2 and 3 behind Marks. Price, who I expected to have a good year, is currently 4th. Again, it's only been 1 day in pads.

Crazy considering Price had the game winning play against Illinois.

TrapGame
08-08-2023, 11:34 AM
Not with this OL. We're not running over lsu and Aggie. Prob not KY or auburn either. Wait and see on OM, Ark, and USCe

And again I say bullshit.

Will we have the best ground game in the league? No, it will be serviceable w/ some flashes of above average play. But, this fixation that we'll look like the Keystone Cops on the OL is just unfounded.

TaleofTwoDogs
08-08-2023, 01:18 PM

Will we have the best ground game in the league? No, it will be serviceable w/ some flashes of above average play. But, this fixation that we'll look like the Keystone Cops on the OL is just unfounded.

Agreed. Don't see this line falling on its face. Should be a good group up front and will have CZA on their tails reminding them every game. Don't know if CZA will fold the chairs if they don't perform.

confucius say
08-08-2023, 01:22 PM

I didn't say keystone cops. I said we won't be able to run over good defenses with this OL. Serviceable won't be near good enough.

TrapGame
08-08-2023, 01:51 PM
I didn't say keystone cops. I said we won't be able to run over good defenses with this OL. Serviceable won't be near good enough.

You listed just about every damn SEC team we are playing. If you think we can't run the ball on any SEC defense we face this season then - YES, YOU ARE - saying we will be the Keystone Cops on the OL. Hell, might as well say we can't run on Arizona either.

My definition of serviceable is "average" or slightly above.

We will be fine.

confucius say
08-08-2023, 02:10 PM
You listed just about every damn SEC team we are playing. If you think we can't run the ball on any SEC defense we face this season then - YES, YOU ARE - saying we will be the Keystone Cops on the OL. Hell, might as well say we can't run on Arizona either.

My definition of serviceable is "average" or slightly above.

We will be fine.

I said 5 of the 8. I excluded OM, ark, and usce and said time will tell. I said we won't run over Bama, lsu, or Aggie. We won't. And prob not ky or auburn.

An average OL won't run over Bama, lsu, or Aggie and probably not auburn or KY. That's all I said. I think everyone could agree on that.

Coach34
08-08-2023, 02:39 PM
I actually think the OL will be pretty good. Alot of the guys that will start werent even Leach recruits. They were recruited to be physical. We have an old, veteran OL by college standards. They should be above average and are coached by a pretty good coach as well.

TrapGame
08-08-2023, 02:40 PM
I actually think the OL will be pretty good. Alot of the guys that will start werent even Leach recruits. They were recruited to be physical. We have an old, veteran OL by college standards. They should be above average and are coached by a pretty good coach as well.

Exactly.

I do not understand why people aren't seeing this.

TrapGame
08-08-2023, 02:42 PM
I said 5 of the 8. I excluded OM, ark, and usce and said time will tell. I said we won't run over Bama, lsu, or Aggie. We won't. And prob not ky or auburn.

An average OL won't run over Bama, lsu, or Aggie and probably not auburn or KY. That's all I said. I think everyone could agree on that.

Man, if the OL is as bad as you think it's gonna be we ain't winning more than 6 games and we'll be lucky to win 6. I just don't see that. You're under selling this OL big time.

TaleofTwoDogs
08-08-2023, 05:14 PM
Man, if the OL is as bad as you think it's gonna be we ain't winning more than 6 games and we'll be lucky to win 6. I just don't see that. You're under selling this OL big time.

Hey Trap, I think we are all underselling this OLine, in fact I think they will be the surprise group this year barring injuries and throw in some strong TE blocking will give us a 200 yd average run team.

TrapGame
08-08-2023, 06:16 PM
Hey Trap, I think we are all underselling this OLine, in fact I think they will be the surprise group this year barring injuries and threw in some strong TE blocking will give us a 200 yd average run team.

Agreed. And as I type this I'm watching some post practice interviews and a couple of players are talking about how Barbay has kept some of the familiar Air Raid concepts but he has put in a solid ground game to go with it. Barbay may be doing a little Frankenstein mash-up with some Air Raid and his offense. That would be absolute genius if he pulls it off.

Tater
08-08-2023, 06:55 PM
Agreed. And as I type this I'm watching some post practice interviews and a couple of players are talking about how Barbay has kept some of the familiar Air Raid concepts but he has put in a solid ground game to go with it. Barbay may be doing a little Frankenstein mash-up with some Air Raid and his offense. That would be absolute genius if he pulls it off.

Leach was an exception to the rule of great coaches design their system to the players, not the players to the system. Barbay designing an offense tailored to our strengths is exactly what you want.

Im full wool and ready to say we're gonna win the SECW and go 12-0. Lots to be excited about. Our OL is as experienced as it has been ever. Even moreso than 2014. We've got the ingredients. Only ? I have is defensive secondary. If we don't absolutely shit the bed like a grantham defense when it comes to backend secondary, then we can be very, very good.

DownwardDawg
08-08-2023, 08:29 PM

Lol. The games we actually tried to run the ball last year we had no problem. Those were our best offensive games. Imagine this season with a very innovative and balanced offense. Did we lose our entire offensive line to the NFL?

confucius say
08-08-2023, 10:32 PM

Nah. I'm saying 8-4.
We have four that should be automatic.
We lose to Bama.
4-1.
The other 7 could go either way but I think we probably get 3 or 4 of them, especially if we win on the OL vs ark, OM, and usce like I believe we can.

bulldawg28
08-09-2023, 06:36 AM

When have we EVER not been able to run the ball? Even with Croom we ran the ball. This team ran the ball successfully last year whenever Will would check into it.

confucius say
08-09-2023, 07:19 AM
When have we EVER not been able to run the ball? Even with Croom we ran the ball. This team ran the ball successfully last year whenever Will would check into it.

I think we should be able to run against OM, ark, and usce.
I don't think we will be able to line up and run over Bama, lsu, or Aggie.
I think we will be able to run it some but struggle against ky and auburn.

Really Clark?
08-09-2023, 08:30 AM
I think we should be able to run against OM, ark, and usce.
I don't think we will be able to line up and run over Bama, lsu, or Aggie.
I think we will be able to run it some but struggle against ky and auburn.

We ran for 6 yards per carry against TAM last year in the worse running offensive scheme and philosophy you could have. I think we can squeeze a few yards against them this year.

RockyDog
08-09-2023, 08:42 AM

Ridiculous, right? We ran for 146 on mighty A&M last year with 2 running plays.

TrapGame
08-09-2023, 09:02 AM
Ridiculous, right? We ran for 146 on mighty A&M last year with 2 running plays.

On most of the defenses we will face it will only take the OL doing their jobs with a TE hitting his block to spring Woody for a 20 yard gash. And most defenses won't be able to arm tackle Woody.

RockyDog
08-09-2023, 09:17 AM
On most of the defenses we will face it will only take the OL doing their jobs with a TE hitting his block to spring Woody for a 20 yard gash. And most defenses won't be able to arm tackle Woody.

I think people have become so blinded by how inept we were at running the ball the first 2 years of Leach.

If we "only" average 150 yards per game, that is 1800 yards rushing which is STILL below average for an SEC team. However, IF we can complement that with a 3000-3500 yard passing season from WR, then that is top 40 production. MSU fans have become so negative that they don't believe we can ever field a team that is capable of both running and passing. People act like it has to be one or the other. Meanwhile, over 40 teams last year put up 3000 pass/2000 rush yard seasons.

Arkansas and Mississippi both had 3000/3000 seasons playing the same mighty opponents that some say can't be run on.

confucius say
08-09-2023, 09:52 AM
We ran for 6 yards per carry against TAM last year in the worse running offensive scheme and philosophy you could have. I think we can squeeze a few yards against them this year.

We will see. They were last on the league in run defense last year. Running on them was like running on ark. Easy.
They are stacked with supposed nfl guys up front now who are older and we will be on the road. FPI likes their run defense. Of course jimbo can score anything up, so we will see.

confucius say
08-09-2023, 09:55 AM
I think people have become so blinded by how inept we were at running the ball the first 2 years of Leach.

If we "only" average 150 yards per game, that is 1800 yards rushing which is STILL below average for an SEC team. However, IF we can complement that with a 3000-3500 yard passing season from WR, then that is top 40 production. MSU fans have become so negative that they don't believe we can ever field a team that is capable of both running and passing. People act like it has to be one or the other. Meanwhile, over 40 teams last year put up 3000 pass/2000 rush yard seasons.

Arkansas and Mississippi both had 3000/3000 seasons playing the same mighty opponents that some say can't be run on.

Ark and OM both had running qb. Dart and Jefferson both were run threats and ran for over 600 yards.
Unless we go alot of wildcat or wright, we don't.

TrapGame
08-09-2023, 09:58 AM
Ark and OM both had running qb. Dart and Jefferson both were run threats and ran for over 600 yards.
Unless we go alot of wildcat or wright, we don't.

Oh, so now it's not the OL it's that we don't have a running QB?

confucius say
08-09-2023, 10:04 AM
Oh, so now it's not the OL it's that we don't have a running QB?

Having a running qb makes the OL job much easier, yes. Especially guys who can run and throw. If we had dart or Jefferson or Daniels etc... I would feel much better about our run game. Is that even a debatable point?

TrapGame
08-09-2023, 11:24 AM
Having a running qb makes the OL job much easier, yes. Especially guys who can run and throw. If we had dart or Jefferson or Daniels etc... I would feel much better about our run game. Is that even a debatable point?

No, you're just making it seem like our OL can't work without a running QB. And some of those running threats you mentioned, our defense shut down.

RockyDog
08-09-2023, 11:52 AM
App State had 3000 pass/2400 rush and got 116 rushing from their QB. If we get a couple hundred yards on the season from Tulu and other receivers running end arounds, then that is bonus yards that help the run game. Maybe Wright can contribute 100 or 2. Just because WR doesn't run doesn't mean our offense is going to suck against anybody with a pulse.

We don't have to run Don Mullins offense to move the ball.

NWADAWG
08-09-2023, 01:18 PM

And if we had dart or Jefferson or Daniels etc... I would feel a little worse about our passing game.

TrapGame
08-09-2023, 03:48 PM
I hear there's a video going round with Will under center, hitting a TE out of play action for a TD.

Leroy Jenkins
08-09-2023, 05:53 PM
I hear there's a video going round with Will under center, hitting a TE out of play action for a TD.

https://twitter.com/hailstatefb/status/1689345079209766913?s=46&t=DGtd-fTS2I8QetuRZ9flcA

Cowbell
08-09-2023, 05:57 PM
Exactly.

I do not understand why people aren't seeing this.

Because most people don't understand the trenches my man

Cowbell
08-09-2023, 05:58 PM

KB has left the chat...

Leroy Jenkins
08-09-2023, 06:12 PM
It was actually 3 TE's. Pass to Harmon off the right side, while Goede and Spivey are in pass pro in a bunch tight to the left.

Coach34
08-09-2023, 08:26 PM
Play action is going to make our offense so much better. So glad I dont have to watch that garbage we were running anymore

Reason2succeed
08-10-2023, 11:34 AM
https://twitter.com/hailstatefb/status/1689345079209766913?s=46&t=DGtd-fTS2I8QetuRZ9flcA

Hey, Will isn?t supposed to be able to take a snap from center or turn his back to the defense m. Someone go tell Cole Cublic!!! 🙄🙄🙄

Thick
08-10-2023, 11:39 AM
I agree completely. No more drop into coverage immediately when the ball is snapped.