PDA

View Full Version : Seriously, what is wrong with Mississippi State fans?

Goat Holder
12-01-2013, 08:36 PM
I stroll over to 6-pack for my weekly gander at their page, and what do I see? Dawgstudent makes a thread talking about the Egg rivalry, and says our record vs. Ole Miss is 43-61-6. ONLY lil ole moo u fans would not say that our record is 45-59-6 against those clowns. On-the-field is what counts. I digress....

The moral is, why do we not give ourselves the benefit of the doubt? Everybody else gets it, but not us. I guess because most don't stand up for ourselves. Somebody tells me that Starkville sucks, I ask them if they've been there recently (or ever). If the answer is yes, I call them an idiot. If it's no, I tell them to think for themselves instead of following the sheep. But way too many say, "Yeah, it's sort of small, but yada yada...".

When teams beat us in the 3-9 years, I don't see them saying, "We beat a shitty MSU team". No, rather they laugh because they kicked our asses. When I watched us beat Arkansas, I told them to go **** themselves because we just beat their ass. I don't give 2 shits if they are down. Most of our fans crow about not beating a Top 20 team or some shit. What the hell.

I saw on facespace during the Egg Bowl where an MSU friend of mine said, "I feel sorry that the country has to watch this game...". Man **** that shit, it was a great defensive battle. But MS people can't even take credit for that.

That's my rant for the day. Damn it.

RougeDawg
12-01-2013, 08:51 PM
This mentality is why we are where we are. we don't take the momentum and try to crush those bastards when we get the chance. We take the high road and hope they will do the same. But those ****ers win one of the last 4, and use it to propelled them in to a top recruiting class, sayihg they are the program on the rise and MSU is on the decline.

We have been dominating them over the past 5 years, but still cannot steal/flip recruits away from them. Or even prevent top recruits from even looking at them. We should be cleaning house at this point, if not by 2015. There are no excuses.

Political Hack
12-01-2013, 08:51 PM
segregated football shouldn't even count and we've owned them over the last 25 years. that's all the history that matters.

Bothrops
12-01-2013, 09:15 PM
The typical female OM fan response was that the game was boring..they started watching something else, or stopped watching it lol. They're all full of shit. That was an edge of your seat battle for 4 quarters, if you are a fan of either team. Most Ole Miss people are just plain pitiful.

Coach34
12-01-2013, 09:19 PM
We are 20-24 vs them since Integration- which is also in my lifetime.

We own the lead the last 25 years- 13-12. Which is really indicative of where the modern day rivalry stands

Dawg61
12-01-2013, 09:25 PM
I'm convinced the name Starkville hurts the perception of Starkville the most. I've never heard of a city changing its name before but I'd get behind one here. How bout "Big Tits" instead?

Will James
12-01-2013, 09:29 PM
I'm convinced the name Starkville hurts the perception of Starkville the most. I've never heard of a city changing its name before but I'd get behind one here. How bout "Big Tits" instead?

How about changing "Starkville" to "Mississippi State" similar to how Auburn is in Auburn.

We aren't changing to Starkville University.

Maroonthirteen
12-01-2013, 09:39 PM
That guy has always been quick to defend OM or with "State fans do (whatever OM is doing wrong) too".

I'm convinced he has OM in laws or a boss...something along those lines. Just far to quick to be apologetic towards them.

Goat Holder
12-01-2013, 09:39 PM
The time for all of that is gone. We missed that window when we decided to locate in Starkville instead of Meridian. Then we could have called ourselves Meridian, similar to Auburn, which was simply a nickname for the longest time for Alabama Polytechnic. "Auburn" or "Meridian" also doesn't associate you with simply one state, although your home state location is your biggest base of recruiting (students and athletes). We would have been in a major interstate hub, and also had much better access to the Coast, which is essential to our success. Out of state, Mobile would likely also have a bigger MSU presence (think Auburn in Atlanta). We'd also have had a major metro area within an hour (Jackson), similar to the other SEC schools (Ole Miss-Memphis, Alabama-Birmingham, Auburn-Montgomery, Georgia-Atlanta, LSU-New Orleans, etc.)

But alas, now we have to do what we can with reality. It is what it is now. First step is for MSU to own the entire Golden Triangle area, and Jackson.

Ronny
12-01-2013, 09:41 PM
I saw on facespace during the Egg Bowl where an MSU friend of mine said, "I feel sorry that the country has to watch this game...".

..your friend is an asshole.

LiterallyPolice
12-01-2013, 10:14 PM
In DS's defense, the whole point of his thread was we have the edge over the past 25 yrs.... Specifically, our winning % of late is better than their winning % over the whole series. He may have missed on the "on-the-field" record, but that's really irrelevant.... He wasn't trying to downplay anything we've done or pander to UM in any way. It's pretty obvious if you, like, you know, actually read his post.

Goat Holder
12-01-2013, 10:23 PM
Wrong. It actually outlines my point perfectly. I 100% understand that his point was to actually make MSU look better...I'm not disputing that. He did the shit naturally, without one iota of questioning.

I'm thinking deeper than you on this issue....THAT is what is obvious.

mstatefan91
12-01-2013, 10:25 PM
The time for all of that is gone. We missed that window when we decided to locate in Starkville instead of Meridian. Then we could have called ourselves Meridian, similar to Auburn, which was simply a nickname for the longest time for Alabama Polytechnic. "Auburn" or "Meridian" also doesn't associate you with simply one state, although your home state location is your biggest base of recruiting (students and athletes). We would have been in a major interstate hub, and also had much better access to the Coast, which is essential to our success. Out of state, Mobile would likely also have a bigger MSU presence (think Auburn in Atlanta). We'd also have had a major metro area within an hour (Jackson), similar to the other SEC schools (Ole Miss-Memphis, Alabama-Birmingham, Auburn-Montgomery, Georgia-Atlanta, LSU-New Orleans, etc.)

But alas, now we have to do what we can with reality. It is what it is now. First step is for MSU to own the entire Golden Triangle area, and Jackson.
Being from Meridian, I can promise you that that city would not have been the answer for Mississippi State. But I could be wrong considering Meridian would be different with a major university.

Barkman Turner Overdrive
12-01-2013, 10:29 PM
I'm convinced he has OM in laws or a boss...something along those lines. Just far to quick to be apologetic towards them.

It is pretty wide known that DS married into an Ole Miss family.

notsofarawaydawg
12-01-2013, 11:19 PM
He's just kissing the ass of his hero, HD6.

Political Hack
12-01-2013, 11:38 PM
DS is a good dude who loves State... I think it's just become part of the pak's identity that ragging on yourself is considered ok but being a sunshine pumper isn't. It makes sense given the split from gene's and the Croom years.

hacker
12-02-2013, 12:18 AM

Man, I'm ****ing glad this didn't happen. The big, bad Meridian Bulldogs? Are you kidding me?

hacker
12-02-2013, 12:20 AM
Being from Meridian, I can promise you that that city would not have been the answer for Mississippi State. But I could be wrong considering Meridian would be different with a major university.

Yeah, I'm from Meridian too. I cringed when I read that post.

Behrdawg
12-02-2013, 12:52 AM
Let's not bash DS, he's a good guy.

Big4Dawg
12-02-2013, 01:15 AM
Columbus would be a better than Starkville. Downtown Columbus would be great with a real college

Coach34
12-02-2013, 09:29 AM
It should have been in Jackson- end of story. State would be an SEC power had State been built there.

Goat Holder
12-02-2013, 10:11 AM
Are you really THAT closed-minded, that you can't comprehend how much this could have helped MSU?

bulldogsmsu
12-02-2013, 10:25 AM
I think OM fans have pumped their self-acclaimed prestige up so much that a lot of people in Mississippi actually believe it. Especially people from other instate schools like USM.

Of course after an OM loss they are going to start grabbing at anything. Stiff like MSU is agriculture, OM is Doctors/Lawyers and USM is business. OM is a prestigious school and MSU is just red necks and farmers.

I say to them, really? OM is a prestigious school? What makes you think that? OM fans are so delusional it is just comical. Well let’s look at the rankings of the Universities from US News and World report. Nationally ranked OM is ranked #150 and little Mississippi State is ranked #142. That seems really prestigious to me! MSU is ranked the #73 top public school, OM is ranked #79 in overall national rankings. Now if you go into the specifics MSU ranked #85 best engineering school and #22 in biological/agricultural engineering so yes MSU does have a great biological/agricultural engineering program. No shame in that. OM has the #102 best law school. Not bad, but far from prestigious. OM medical school not even ranked. Hmmm. They do have the med school, but MSU also ranks #23 in Veterinary Medicine. I would say top #25 programs are a little more prestigious regardless of what they are in. Just because you have the only medical school in state that is very average doesn't make you prestigious. I just don’t get the prestigious argument so I guess someone else will have to convenience me of that.
http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-colleges/mississippi-state-university-176080/overall-rankings

http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-colleges/university-of-mississippi-main-campus-176017/overall-rankings

All of these things are petty, but it just amuses me the false sense of who they are. The truth is most people outside of Mississippi get the two mixed up. They are looking to anything they can get a hold of now to inflate their ego’s back to a somewhat inflated state. They just need to work on not dropping anymore in the party rankings and drinking their tears away! Even those rankings are fading.

Goat Holder
12-02-2013, 10:33 AM
Nah, Meridian would have been better. People who say Meridian sucks obviously can't think and realize that the city would have been much different had the university been there. 40K people there now, probably around 80K had MSU been there. And USM likely wouldn't even exist, seeing how it was established like 30 years after MSU. And if it had, it'd now likely be a smaller teacher's school like MUW. And again, I can't stress enough the proximity to a place like Mobile.

I see now benefit of being in Jackson. I think a real 'college town' about an hour away from the metro area is the best formula.

Barking 13
12-02-2013, 10:48 AM
Columbus would be a better than Starkville. Downtown Columbus would be great with a real college

are you kidding me? Starkville > Columbus on many levels.. and I was born and raised here....

Bo Darville
12-02-2013, 10:48 AM
Let's not bash DS, he's a good guy.

DS seems like a good dude. However, I will never understand why he let Oxford Godfrey go on another message board and bash him, calling him a stupid fat f*ck, making fun of MSU fans, etc. Then DS coddles Godfrey and worships him like everybody else on the pack.

HereComesTheSpiral
12-02-2013, 11:10 AM
I think OM fans have pumped their self-acclaimed prestige up so much that a lot of people in Mississippi actually believe it. Especially people from other instate schools like USM.

Of course after an OM loss they are going to start grabbing at anything. Stiff like MSU is agriculture, OM is Doctors/Lawyers and USM is business. OM is a prestigious school and MSU is just red necks and farmers.

I say to them, really? OM is a prestigious school? What makes you think that? OM fans are so delusional it is just comical. Well let’s look at the rankings of the Universities from US News and World report. Nationally ranked OM is ranked #150 and little Mississippi State is ranked #142. That seems really prestigious to me! MSU is ranked the #73 top public school, OM is ranked #79 in overall national rankings. Now if you go into the specifics MSU ranked #85 best engineering school and #22 in biological/agricultural engineering so yes MSU does have a great biological/agricultural engineering program. No shame in that. OM has the #102 best law school. Not bad, but far from prestigious. OM medical school not even ranked. Hmmm. They do have the med school, but MSU also ranks #23 in Veterinary Medicine. I would say top #25 programs are a little more prestigious regardless of what they are in. Just because you have the only medical school in state that is very average doesn't make you prestigious. I just don’t get the prestigious argument so I guess someone else will have to convenience me of that.
http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-colleges/mississippi-state-university-176080/overall-rankings

http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-colleges/university-of-mississippi-main-campus-176017/overall-rankings

All of these things are petty, but it just amuses me the false sense of who they are. The truth is most people outside of Mississippi get the two mixed up. They are looking to anything they can get a hold of now to inflate their ego’s back to a somewhat inflated state. They just need to work on not dropping anymore in the party rankings and drinking their tears away! Even those rankings are fading.

Dont MC grads make up most of the people accepted to UMC?

BulldogBear
12-02-2013, 11:23 AM
are you kidding me? Starkville > Columbus on many levels.. and I was born and raised here....

MSU is where it is so to speak. I like Starkville and don't much care what outsiders think. It's home now. Saying it should be somewhere else is like wishing you had you're friend's mom instead of your own 'cause the friend's Mom is better looking or makes better cakes.

bulldogsmsu
12-02-2013, 12:51 PM
Dont MC grads make up most of the people accepted to UMC?

I have heard stuff like this, but I have never seen the hard facts on enrollement and where the undergrads come from.

Infidel
12-02-2013, 03:41 PM
Starkville and MSU could change the perception of Starkville with a publicity campaign on General John Stark, the namesake of Starkville and a Revolutionary War hero. If you haven't read his story, he was a hell of a man. Captured by Indians, he was forced to run the gauntlet (you usually died before completing it}. He grabbed the first Indian's club and commenced to beating the shit of them. They made him an honorary member of their tribe in recognition of his very large balls. I suggest a John Stark Days celebration with scantily clad co-eds running the gauntlet where they are lashed with noodles or something. More signage, statues, art, videos, etc based on Gen Stark, the Rev War, Indians, and whatever else can be put in. Like some of us have done in the past, we need to use the supposed negatives about Starkville and MSU and use them like clubs - I see "Starkvegas" in neon, Cheese and Cow related events, there are a million ideas if anyone in the area had any imagination.

mstatefan91
12-02-2013, 03:49 PM
Nah, Meridian would have been better. People who say Meridian sucks obviously can't think and realize that the city would have been much different had the university been there. 40K people there now, probably around 80K had MSU been there. And USM likely wouldn't even exist, seeing how it was established like 30 years after MSU. And if it had, it'd now likely be a smaller teacher's school like MUW. And again, I can't stress enough the proximity to a place like Mobile.

I see now benefit of being in Jackson. I think a real 'college town' about an hour away from the metro area is the best formula.

Meridian probably would be different today if MSU had taken residence there but the current Meridian could not support a major University. Hell, they can't even make it safe to park your car at the mall/Wal-mart let alone make sure 4,000 freshman residents are safe.

There's also a difference in people whether anyone realizes it or not. Meridian is very elitist for some reason where Starkville is a very inviting town. I prefer Starkville but it's a moot point really. MSU is where it is at this point.

Dawg61
12-02-2013, 04:03 PM
That won't work. The problem is the word STARK.

stark
st?rk/
adjective
adjective: stark; comparative adjective: starker; superlative adjective: starkest
severe or bare in appearance or outline.
"the ridge formed a stark silhouette against the sky"
synonyms: sharp, sharply defined, well-focused, crisp, distinct, obvious, evident, clear, clear-cut, graphic, striking More
desolate, bare, barren, arid, vacant, empty, forsaken, godforsaken, bleak, somber, depressing, cheerless, joyless;
literarydrear
austere, severe, bleak, plain, simple, bare, unadorned, unembellished, undecorated
antonyms: fuzzy, indistinct, pleasant, ornate
unpleasantly or sharply clear; impossible to avoid.
"his position on civil rights is in stark contrast to that of his liberal opponent"
synonyms: blunt, bald, bare, simple, basic, plain, unvarnished, harsh, grim More
antonyms: disguised
complete; sheer.
"he came running back in stark terror"
synonyms: sheer, utter, complete, absolute, total, pure, downright, out-and-out, outright; More
rare
completely naked.
archaicliterary
stiff, rigid, or incapable of movement.
"a human body lying stiff and stark by the stream"
physically strong or powerful.
"the dragoons were stark fellows"

Infidel
12-02-2013, 06:53 PM
I'm fully aware of that but Starkville is not going to change it's name.

It you don't think that perceptions can be changed, you should study up on advertising, propaganda, etc. The "powers that be" should actively seek to change perceptions. OM is going to make fun regardless so this is precisely why Starkville should go on the offensive. I prefer that to your plan of just giving up and bending over.

That won't work. The problem is the word STARK.

stark
st?rk/
adjective
adjective: stark; comparative adjective: starker; superlative adjective: starkest
severe or bare in appearance or outline.
"the ridge formed a stark silhouette against the sky"
synonyms: sharp, sharply defined, well-focused, crisp, distinct, obvious, evident, clear, clear-cut, graphic, striking More
desolate, bare, barren, arid, vacant, empty, forsaken, godforsaken, bleak, somber, depressing, cheerless, joyless;
literarydrear
austere, severe, bleak, plain, simple, bare, unadorned, unembellished, undecorated
antonyms: fuzzy, indistinct, pleasant, ornate
unpleasantly or sharply clear; impossible to avoid.
"his position on civil rights is in stark contrast to that of his liberal opponent"
synonyms: blunt, bald, bare, simple, basic, plain, unvarnished, harsh, grim More
antonyms: disguised
complete; sheer.
"he came running back in stark terror"
synonyms: sheer, utter, complete, absolute, total, pure, downright, out-and-out, outright; More
rare
completely naked.
archaicliterary
stiff, rigid, or incapable of movement.
"a human body lying stiff and stark by the stream"
physically strong or powerful.
"the dragoons were stark fellows"

Dawg61
12-02-2013, 07:11 PM
Why the infatuation with John Stark? Great man but when it comes to naming a city his last name isn't ideal. It's just the path of least resistance to change the city's name. Naming a city Starkville is similar to naming it Desertville, Nothingville, Emptyville etc...If the city of Starkville is smart they'd see that the name is holding it back. Why go on some incredibly long journey to change people's perception of the word Stark when it can be fixed in one day? You, me and everybody else knows Starkville isn't a great name for a city. Hell half the time everyone calls it StarkSville anyways.

dawgman
12-02-2013, 11:10 PM
[QUOTE=Will James;99222]How about changing "Starkville" to "Mississippi State" similar to how Auburn is in Auburn.

Last time I looked MSU IS located in Mississippi State, MS. That's what the post office says anyway.

Political Hack
12-02-2013, 11:26 PM
Wait, the city's namesake was made an honorary member of a tribe and we still get the curse? that's messed up. we should've been given a pass.

I like the idea of educating people on Stark. Would help the perception... named for a bad ass, not for the meaning of "stark."

Dawg61
12-03-2013, 12:06 AM
Wait, the city's namesake was made an honorary member of a tribe and we still get the curse? that's messed up. we should've been given a pass.

I like the idea of educating people on Stark. Would help the perception... named for a bad ass, not for the meaning of "stark."

Time to build a statue of Mr. Stark running the gauntlet. Build it by the stadium to alleviate the curse.

Infidel
12-03-2013, 11:12 AM
Who has an infatuation with John Stark? Starkville is the name of the town and renaming the town isn't going to happen but if it did, OM fans would never stop making fun of it and would always still call it Starksville or whatever. MSU and Starkville should be proud of what they have and go on the offense with it. However, feel free to start a campaign to rename it which will result in great hilarity in Oxford.

Why the infatuation with John Stark? Great man but when it comes to naming a city his last name isn't ideal. It's just the path of least resistance to change the city's name. Naming a city Starkville is similar to naming it Desertville, Nothingville, Emptyville etc...If the city of Starkville is smart they'd see that the name is holding it back. Why go on some incredibly long journey to change people's perception of the word Stark when it can be fixed in one day? You, me and everybody else knows Starkville isn't a great name for a city. Hell half the time everyone calls it StarkSville anyways.