PDA

View Full Version : SI picks Aubie not state to finish last in the west.........

99jc
07-26-2023, 08:10 PM
Toppmeyer prediction: Auburn, not Mississippi State, will finish last in the SEC West.

Hugh Freeze inherited a roster thinner on talent and depth than Auburn is accustomed to. He got to work in the transfer portal, but questions linger at key spots like quarterback and offensive line. Meanwhile, Mississippi State returns 41-year starter Will Rogers (OK, maybe it's not quite that long), and although Zach Arnett is unproven as a coach, he showed enough as a coordinator that we can expect MSU will remain stout on defense.

Adams agrees.

starkvegasdawg
07-26-2023, 08:38 PM
I think Austin Williams was a 41 year starter.

msu15
07-26-2023, 08:42 PM
Oh man I can't wait for the season to start. So tired of seeing predictions and just can't understand why people care about them anymore, especially with the playoff polls not coming out until mid-season(the only poll that matters).

lastmajordog
07-26-2023, 08:58 PM
I see Arnett and Freeze doing much better than expected, For some reason I see LK doing a little less than expected.

Tater
07-27-2023, 11:38 AM
Oh man I can't wait for the season to start. So tired of seeing predictions and just can't understand why people care about them anymore, especially with the playoff polls not coming out until mid-season(the only poll that matters).

People love to hate.

TrapGame
07-27-2023, 12:57 PM
Our favorite sports journalist Barrett Sallee thinks Auburn struggles this year. He said Freeze is running the same plays he did at ole miss. He's not going to surprise many defenses in the SEC.

The AU faithful proceeded to have a meltdown on Twitter. They all claimed Freeze would take them 9-3 at worst this year.

DownwardDawg
07-27-2023, 04:17 PM
Our favorite sports journalist Barrett Sallee thinks Auburn struggles this year. He said Freeze is running the same plays he did at ole miss. He's not going to surprise many defenses in the SEC.

The AU faithful proceeded to have a meltdown on Twitter. They all claimed Freeze would take them 9-3 at worst this year.

I may be way wrong on this, but I'll be very surprised if Freeze does anything at Auburn. I've said it for years, but Freeze won because he cheated his way to a team with exceptional talent. He won't have that advantage anymore. There is no cheating. He won't steal the best offensive lineman in the nation from Georgia. Or the best defensive player from Clemson or Alabama. It's not happening in today's free market. He's just another average coach today.

Coldsleeve Jr.
07-27-2023, 09:33 PM
I may be way wrong on this, but I'll be very surprised if Freeze does anything at Auburn. I've said it for years, but Freeze won because he cheated his way to a team with exceptional talent. He won't have that advantage anymore. There is no cheating. He won't steal the best offensive lineman in the nation from Georgia. Or the best defensive player from Clemson or Alabama. It's not happening in today's free market. He's just another average coach today.

Idk. He won at Liberty. Highly unlikable human but perhaps a decent football coach. It'll be fascinating to watch either way

HailState2008
07-27-2023, 09:39 PM
Idk. He won at Liberty. Highly unlikable human but perhaps a decent football coach. It'll be fascinating to watch either way

I can?t stand the guy but he will have Auburn competing at a high level especially if he gets the alumni base to buy in and support NIL to get the players he wants.

DownwardDawg
07-27-2023, 09:50 PM

I agree. It's gonna be interesting to watch.

BuckyIsAB****
07-27-2023, 10:04 PM
Auburn is going to beat ole miss

Lord McBuckethead
07-28-2023, 12:01 AM

Yep.

99jc
07-28-2023, 07:50 AM
i hate to say this but revrend frezzus saint p ussy chaser is a good coach.

DownwardDawg
07-28-2023, 08:17 AM
i hate to say this but revrend frezzus saint p ussy chaser is a good coach.

I guess we'll see. Not saying he's not, but people seem to just gloss over the fact that he was cheating at an unprecedented level at ole Miss to win like he did. Now all schools are just buying players away from each other. If auburn can outbid Bama and Georgia, then sure, he'll be this "good coach" again. If not, he'll have Auburn at 8-4 again.

TrapGame
07-28-2023, 08:41 AM

Hugh circled that day on his calendar the moment he got the job. I would not be surprised if we beat them but they lay an absolute ass kicking on Lane.

Let's not forget Freeze an absolutely loaded ole miss team and still couldn't win the West.

DownwardDawg
07-28-2023, 01:55 PM
Hugh circled that day on his calendar the moment he got the job. I would not be surprised if we beat them but they lay an absolute ass kicking on Lane.

Let's not forget Freeze an absolutely loaded ole miss team and still couldn't win the West.

People seem to just disregard that last sentence. He's a snake oil salesman that cheated his ass off. He's a damn good cheat though. Probably already figured out a loophole to utilize NIL better than anyone else.

Coach34
07-28-2023, 01:56 PM
SEC West:

1. LSU
2. Bammer
3. State
4. A&M
5. Mississippi
6. UPig
7. Auburn

LSU has to go to Bammer but I still think they win it even with 1 loss
Bammer gonna lose a couple
We gonna be pretty good
A&M has potential to be 2nd or 3rd- but we'll see how it works out
UPig returns a damn good QB but the rest is suspect
Mississippi returns a good many starters- they are likely an 8-4 team with a 2nd Egg Bowl loss
Auburn lacks talent. Freezus needs the collection plate to be full to lock down his 1st good class to pave the way back

TrapGame
07-28-2023, 02:38 PM
SEC West:

1. LSU
2. Bammer
3. State
4. A&M
5. Mississippi
6. UPig
7. Auburn

We gonna be pretty good
Mississippi returns a good many starters- they are likely an 8-4 team with a 2nd Egg Bowl loss
Auburn lacks talent. Freezus needs the collection plate to be full to lock down his 1st good class to pave the way back

I know it's some maroon colored glasses, but I would not be surprised if we catch a less talented Bama early and beat them. It's possible. We could finish second in the West and Arnett's stock skyrockets.

msu15
07-28-2023, 02:53 PM

Agreed, and probably us as well. On the road and we haven't beaten them 3 years in a row in like 25 years.

TrapGame
07-28-2023, 03:40 PM
Agreed, and probably us as well. On the road and we haven't beaten them 3 years in a row in like 25 years.

They play OM 10/21 and then us the next Saturday 10/28. Both are home games for AU. Can Hugh get them up to beat us after he has stoked them like a fire to play OM?

I really like our chances.

confucius say
07-28-2023, 04:17 PM
If you believe recruiting rankings accurately reflect talent, Alabama has the most talented roster in the history of college football.
We will see.

BuckyIsAB****
07-29-2023, 09:25 AM
SEC West:

1. LSU
2. Bammer
3. State
4. A&M
5. Mississippi
6. UPig
7. Auburn

We gonna be pretty good

This is likely how it goes but all 7 are probably going bowling. A&M could implode and OM showed some warning signs of imploding. Auburn is going to win 1 or 2 they shouldn?t at Jordan hare

Catfish
07-29-2023, 05:53 PM

Good call

Coach34
07-29-2023, 06:16 PM
This is likely how it goes but all 7 are probably going bowling.

Would not surprise

msu15
07-30-2023, 07:44 PM
They play OM 10/21 and then us the next Saturday 10/28. Both are home games for AU. Can Hugh get them up to beat us after he has stoked them like a fire to play OM?

I really like our chances.

That is a very good point. Maybe the league will throw us a bone again like they did 2 years ago and make it an 11 AM game.

TrapGame
07-30-2023, 08:20 PM
That is a very good point. Maybe the league will throw us a bone again like they did 2 years ago and make it an 11 AM game.

Oh, it'd be awesome for them to have OM 6pm on ESPN and then us the next Saturday on SECN at 11am. I can see that too. Freeze coaching against OM since his firing six years ago. The Lane/Freeze match up is going to be talked about all that week. Freeze is going to get them sky high to play OM. Then they have to come down from the high and practice to play us at 11am. They will come out flatter than a Dr. Pepper from 1995.

confucius say
07-30-2023, 08:44 PM
Freeze is notorious for getting his squad up for a big game and then having a let down. Sets up well for us.

lastmajordog
07-30-2023, 11:09 PM
Very few Egg bowls are won until after the half time. I will say the 14 travesty/debacle/train wreck against a one legged qb is still one of the most devastating, long term destruction of a program I can remember. ......I truly still want to know what happened. It seemed the defense and offense just didn’t get off the bus.....Any thoughts?

TrapGame
07-31-2023, 08:17 AM
Very few Egg bowls are won until after the half time. I will say the 14 travesty/debacle/train wreck against a one legged qb is still one of the most devastating, long term destruction of a program I can remember. ......I truly still want to know what happened. It seemed the defense and offense just didn’t get off the bus.....Any thoughts?

Our DC was going to Florida and hated Mullen. Mullen was pimping himself out - again - after having the #1 team in country.

msu15
07-31-2023, 09:22 AM

We also drove over from Columbus(or was it Tupelo?) the morning of the game instead of staying the night in Oxford.

Dental Dawg33
07-31-2023, 10:18 AM
I see Arnett and Freeze doing much better than expected, For some reason I see LK doing a little less than expected.

And LK will probably get a raise. Lost 5 of 6 to end the year and landed quite a raise :confused:

Coach34
07-31-2023, 11:12 AM
Mississippi likely ends up 8-4. They have alot of starters returning

BuckyIsAB****
07-31-2023, 11:25 AM
We had Zach Jackson covering Evan engram all game because Justin Cox was suspended for breaking into his GFs house. That and the fluke run by Jeff Scott killed the defense. Offensively they beat us up front and we didnt capitalize in the first half when we had a chance to get up 2 scores

BuckyIsAB****
07-31-2023, 11:26 AM
And Mullen doing his yearly look at me tour 100 percent hurt us

BuckyIsAB****
07-31-2023, 11:27 AM

I think Kiffins game is up. They have been one of the worst 2nd half teams in the SEC

Commercecomet24
07-31-2023, 11:28 AM
We had Zach Jackson covering Evan engram all game because Justin Cox was suspended for breaking into his GFs house. That and the fluke run by Jeff Scott killed the defense. Offensively they beat us up front and we didnt capitalize in the first half when we had a chance to get up 2 scores

Weren't we missing another starting safety in that game too or am i remembering wrong?

PGHBulldogBG
07-31-2023, 11:31 AM
I don’t think Ole Miss has the talent or coaching to win @bama or @uga or LSU. With their returning starters though, I would be highly surprised if they aren’t 8-3 coming into the Egg Bowl. I think we get beat them at home this year even though I think we go 6-6

BrunswickDawg
07-31-2023, 11:59 AM
Weren't we missing another starting safety in that game too or am i remembering wrong?

IIRC - Jay Hughes was the other starter at Safety and he was battling injuries. He played but was slowed down.

Commercecomet24
07-31-2023, 12:26 PM
IIRC - Jay Hughes was the other starter at Safety and he was battling injuries. He played but was slowed down.

Thanks, Bruns. I'm getting old and dont remember like i used to. I thought we were playing with mostly backup safeties in that game.

msu15
07-31-2023, 12:40 PM

Kendrick Market also tore his acl or achilles during that game.

TrapGame
07-31-2023, 01:05 PM
I think Kiffins game is up. They have been one of the worst 2nd half teams in the SEC

And don't forget Kiffin will go for it on 4th down when he should punt and rely on his defense. It blew up in his face several times last season.

BuckyIsAB****
08-02-2023, 03:21 PM

21 was lost by us in the first half. We should have been up 2 scores

Jarius
08-03-2023, 12:36 PM

8 wins for Ole Miss would be an overachievement due to the schedule. They are going to lose to Alabama, LSU, and Georgia. Then they have 4 tossups. 2-2 in those have them a 7-5. They are going to be awful on defense again.

Jarius
08-03-2023, 12:39 PM
21 was lost by us in the first half. We should have been up 2 scores

As good of a player Austin Williams was for us he just about single handidly lost us 2 huge games. that 21 egg bowl and the lsu game last year were crucial errors for him.

lastmajordog
08-03-2023, 04:28 PM
8 wins for Ole Miss would be an overachievement due to the schedule. They are going to lose to Alabama, LSU, and Georgia. Then they have 4 tossups. 2-2 in those have them a 7-5. They are going to be awful on defense again.

Traditional wisdom may be on your side, I think C34 is right. Don?t sell LK short, plus as we found out in 14 a great QB can absolutely turn a regular season into a magic one. Let?s see how he does.......should be interesting!

Jarius
08-03-2023, 07:49 PM
Traditional wisdom may be on your side, I think C34 is right. Don?t sell LK short, plus as we found out in 14 a great QB can absolutely turn a regular season into a magic one. Let?s see how he does.......should be interesting!

He lost 5 of his last 6 games last year, lost anyone worth a damn on a bad defense, and lost 2 of his best playmakers on an offense that was not any good the second half of last year. Ole Miss is going to be extremely mediocre.

Pancho
08-03-2023, 08:39 PM
the plantation will be awash with tears when they lose at Tulane early

Captain Falcon
08-03-2023, 11:43 PM

I just think they?ve got a brutal schedule unlike last year when they went a very soft 8-4. Road games at Bama, Georgia, MSU, Tulane, and Auburn. And they still have to play LSU and have loseable home games against A&M and Arkansas. 8-4 would be a big success with that schedule.

Pancho
08-04-2023, 05:53 AM
Losing a few early and then capsizing late in the season seems appropriate.

TrapGame
08-04-2023, 11:12 AM
I just think they?ve got a brutal schedule unlike last year when they went a very soft 8-4. Road games at Bama, Georgia, MSU, Tulane, and Auburn. And they still have to play LSU and have loseable home games against A&M and Arkansas. 8-4 would be a big success with that schedule.

Saint Hugh will have AU ready for this game. This is more important to him than the Iron Bowl.

Coach34
08-04-2023, 12:48 PM
Brutal schedule? Kiffin sux? Lots of maroons in this thread.

Mississippi is 2nd in the SEC in returning starters. Year after year teams with lots of returning starters end up being very good. I said the same thing about us last summer and you guys freaked out because I said we would have a shot at 10 wins. And we ended up a Kentucky debacle away from it (the team you guys say we should beat every year). They have a returning experienced QB and other QB talent.

OOC- Mercer, Tulane, Ga Tech, and Monroe. They are going 4-0 against those teams

SEC home- LSU, UPig, Candy, A&M- could go 3-1 at home and will likely play LSU tough as they usually do. 2-2 at worst- thats 6 wins at worst for them

SEC road- Bama, Auburn, Georgia, State- they gonna lose to Bama and Jawja. I think they beat Auburn because Auburn just isnt very talented yet. Auburn lacks depth and plays A&M, Georgia, and LSU the 3 games before Mississippi. Tough sledding for Freezus and they will get beat up in those games. And I wont even get into the fact that the Egg Bowl will be a war as usual.

They are going to be pretty good this year and win 7-8 games. 9 ceiling with a 6 at the very worst

Tater
08-04-2023, 02:53 PM

Mississippi is 2nd in the SEC in returning starters. Year after year teams with lots of returning starters end up being very good. I said the same thing about us last summer and you guys freaked out because I said we would have a shot at 10 wins. And we ended up a Kentucky debacle away from it (the team you guys say we should beat every year). They have a returning experienced QB and other QB talent.

OOC- Mercer, Tulane, Ga Tech, and Monroe. They are going 4-0 against those teams

SEC home- LSU, UPig, Candy, A&M- could go 3-1 at home and will likely play LSU tough as they usually do. 2-2 at worst- thats 6 wins at worst for them

SEC road- Bama, Auburn, Georgia, State- they gonna lose to Bama and Jawja. I think they beat Auburn because Auburn just isnt very talented yet. Auburn lacks depth and plays A&M, Georgia, and LSU the 3 games before Mississippi. Tough sledding for Freezu and they will get beat up in those games. And I wont even get into the fact that the Egg Bowl will be a war as usual.

They are going to be pretty good this year and win 7-8 games. 9 ceiling with a 6 at the very worst

Tulane is not a gimme. The evolved version of Lane Kiffin, Lincoln Riley, lost to them.

1-3 at home is possible for them.

They have a very real 4 win floor. 6 wins is where I see them. 9 win ceiling if it all breaks right for them I agree. But that's a big if.

Jarius
08-04-2023, 06:07 PM

SEC road- Bama, Auburn, Georgia, State- they gonna lose to Bama and Jawja. I think they beat Auburn because Auburn just isnt very talented yet. Auburn lacks depth and plays A&M, Georgia, and LSU the 3 games before Mississippi. Tough sledding for Freezu and they will get beat up in those games. And I wont even get into the fact that the Egg Bowl will be a war as usual.

They have 3 auto losses and 4 toss ups. 8 wins would be outstanding. It is doable but they have a severe lack of talent on defense.

Goldendawg
08-04-2023, 06:33 PM
They have 3 auto losses and 4 toss ups. 8 wins would be outstanding. It is doable but they have a severe lack of talent on defense.

They are again trying to mold a roster very heavy with portal mercenaries into a team from August to the first game. I said last season that if Lane could do this, he was a very good coach. Lost 5 of last 6 last year after early season cupcake wins were gone. i see same song, second verse with much harder schedule.

lastmajordog
08-04-2023, 07:58 PM

Excellent observation Coach