PDA

View Full Version : The Bama losing streak

Cowbell
07-23-2023, 04:24 PM
It's going to end this year. I don't think we run the table or anything. We will likely even lose a game due to coaching inexperience at some point, but I believe the drought to them ends. Mostly due to our senior-laden bunch but helped bull their slip from dominance, especially at the QB position. The portal has taken a toll on their depth and NIL has evened the playing field between them and the other top 8-10 recruiting teams, robbing the cupboard....

Eta... more of our commits or targets have Bama offers than we have seen in a long time. This is due to them having to be less selective and make more offers due to increased playing field.

BuckyIsAB****
07-23-2023, 05:01 PM
Im not going to predict a record but I will say 2 things.

We are going to have one of our best teams in a while. These group of kids have been thru the ringer. More than any other program in the country Id say. The 2020 kids are the vets now.

The 2 most important games on the schedule are LSU and OM.

Maroonthirteen
07-23-2023, 05:27 PM
It's going to be interesting to see how their QB position works out and the result of the Texas game. They will probably play two v Texas. We will get a good idea of how good they are. However they have South Fl and OM between Texas
and Us. So they could work some things out. But yeah, I have a feeling they won't be as strong at QB as they have been recently.

MaroonFlounder
07-23-2023, 06:12 PM
Bama will win.

Defense will lose contain on their QB running when pocket breaks down and no one is open. They will convert crucial 3rd downs in the same manner they did with Blake Sims in ‘14

EdwardDrayton
07-23-2023, 06:47 PM
We're not beating Bama.

It would be nice to have a board feature that we can save posts we want to follow up on later to see how they've played out and resurrect them.

KOdawg1
07-23-2023, 06:53 PM
Until we see that Crimson and don't shit our pants, I'll never predict us to beat them.

Sure, they out talent us every year, but every team in the West has had competitive matchups with them except for us. It's mental more than anything.

RockyDog
07-23-2023, 07:43 PM
We will never beat Bama. We are more afraid of the name on their jersey more than any other in history. We can’t score on their worst teams and they run thru any defense we put on the field like butter. We need a sports psychologist more than any coach or scheme.

Cowbell
07-23-2023, 07:53 PM
We're not beating Bama.

It would be nice to have a board feature that we can save posts we want to follow up on later to see how they've played out and resurrect them.

How about this - I will resurrect it regardless. I'm a man (I'm not 40)

bulldawg28
07-24-2023, 02:07 AM
Beating Bama starts with a Qb that isn't in awe of them. I honestly think a Qb from out of state can. They don't typically grow up in the Bama sphere .

SpaceBully
07-24-2023, 06:29 AM
We're not beating Bama.

Correct. However, I think we see a little closer game. Instead of them drubbing us the usual 4-5 TDs, I'm thinking something like a 2 TD game difference and it will at least have Davis Wade rockin' a bit more! In other words, we put a scare into them for a half to 3 quarters, then fade in the 4th due to their superior firepower on the bench.

Maroonthirteen
07-24-2023, 06:59 AM
I'll always remember the 91, 92, 94 and 96 years vs them. Maybe Arnett can harness some that Jackie hard nose football and give them a game. In 91 we absolutely punched them in the nose but gave them a free TD on batched flea flicker and we could only muster one TD ourselves. However then in 92 and 94 gave a heavyweight fight again only to lose in the 4th quarter. I walked out of the stadium in 94 saying we would never beat them.

Then in 96 Stallings was rebuilding. We got a few lucky breaks. The most unexpected win took place that night.

TrapGame
07-24-2023, 08:39 AM
This is not going to be one of Saban's best teams. I'd love to keep it close.

BrunswickDawg
07-24-2023, 11:21 AM
I'll always remember the 91, 92, 94 and 96 years vs them. Maybe Arnett can harness some that Jackie hard nose football and give them a game. In 91 we absolutely punched them in the nose but gave them a free TD on batched flea flicker and we could only muster one TD ourselves. However then in 92 and 94 gave a heavyweight fight again only to lose in the 4th quarter. I walked out of the stadium in 94 saying we would never beat them.

Then in 96 Stallings was rebuilding. We got a few lucky breaks. The most unexpected win took place that night.

I have never been as pissed off about a football game as I was that '92 Bama game. Bama refs won that one.

MaroonFlounder
07-24-2023, 11:40 AM
How about this - I will resurrect it regardless. I'm a man (I'm not 40)

I hope you will be able to resurrect it and make us eat crow.

The refs will not let State beat Bama just like the powers that be will not let orange man win the whitehouse again.

R2Dawg
07-24-2023, 11:59 AM
I have never been as pissed off about a football game as I was that '92 Bama game. Bama refs won that one.

92 was Bama's toughest game that year on way to another NC. The Dawgs dominated game until late. Refs ain't gonna let them lose a NC chance against MSU.

That is one advantage we have getting them early in year, refs ain't paid as much to win then.

lastmajordog
07-24-2023, 09:42 PM
del

memsu06
07-24-2023, 10:22 PM
This is what Leach was trying to teach the team. You can't be afraid of the name on their jersey. Listen to the youtube clip with Will, Walley, and our new TE from GA. Leach made them roll around in the sand after that game.

Cowbell
07-24-2023, 10:25 PM
This is what Leach was trying to teach the team. You can't be afraid of the name on their jersey. Listen to the youtube clip with Will, Walley, and our new TE from GA. Leach made them roll around in the sand after that game.

But sadly, his offense would never give us a chance against a Saban defense.

Todd4State
07-25-2023, 12:14 AM
1. We must get Alabama out of our head which is easier said than done.

2. Nick Saban hates tempo for a reason. The most successful coach against him is Gus Mahlzahn- who is a great HUNH guru. Hugh Freeze and Josh Heupel are also known for tempo as well. I don't think this is a coincidence. Saban wants you to take about 5 seconds to line up so he can see where he can move his five star defensive players in the best position. Tempo nullifies that. We have never had a coach that has consistently been able to run tempo other than here and there at times.

3. Tennessee was able to beat him by running switch routes to get their best receivers on Bama's safeties and it burned Alabama three times for TD's. This past year we had receivers wide open and then dropped critical passes that would have kept drives alive or scored TD's for us last year. It wasn't our QB that choked- it was our receivers.

4. We must win the turnover game. Ole Miss beat Saban in large part because of critical turnovers in 2015. Tennessee scored two TD's on short fields because of turnovers.

5. It is said that to beat Saban you MUST be willing to attack deep and you have to win those battles. Our best chance at that is number three- scheme it in by running switch routes. A big problem with us in the past is we were unable to attack deep because of our talent at WR and before Leach QB's that were not very accurate for the most part could not match up.

Todd4State
07-25-2023, 12:18 AM
But sadly, his offense would never give us a chance against a Saban defense.

As I said we had guys wide open and could not complete the catch. We actually outgained Alabama this year on offense. If a scheme gets a WR wide open all by himself you can not ask anything more of a scheme. At that point is up to the players to complete the play and execute it. That happened in large part because again- Alabama was in our head. The same thing would have happened had we been running Tennessee's offense as well.

Todd4State
07-25-2023, 12:23 AM

Those games in the 1990's were epic. I had the same feeling you did after the game in 1994 in my den instead of at the game so I know where you are coming from. We got our payback in 1996 though. I would not say that Alabama was rebuilding that year though. They won the SEC West and won I think 9-10 games. They were very comparable to their 1994 team.

This is not going to be one of Saban's best teams. I'd love to keep it close.

Two things make me believe we can keep it close and have a chance to win:

1. It's in Starkville

2. They do not have a QB like they have had the past few years that can make incredible plays. Thus, they will likely rely more on their running backs- Saban has even hinted at this during SEC media days which is no surprise. IMO the strength of our defense is stopping the running game. IF we can get out of our heads there is no reason we can't at least give them a tough 1990's esque effort.