PDA

View Full Version : Early look at positions heading into 2014 - Defensive Secondary

CadaverDawg
12-01-2013, 04:37 PM
Will Redmond
Jay Hughes
Jamerson Love
Justin Cox
Cedric Jiles
Taveze Calhoun
Deontay Evans
Jahmere Irvin-Sills
Kendrick Market
Quadry Antoine
Tolando Cleveland
Kivon Coman
Dee Arrington
Gabe Myles

The talent makes you go "Wow". The depth makes you go "Wow". And the fact that only 4 of those guys will be Seniors NEXT year makes you go "Holy Cow". And Jay Hughes is one of those 4 and will likely get a medical Redshirt, so we really only lose Arrington, Cox, and Love after NEXT season.

My first thought is that a healthy Arrington, and Justin Cox would be the likely Safety combo to start the year. Surely Geoff just had Cox at CB this year because of our lack of experience, and will now move him back to Safety where he excelled in JUCO. That being said...how in the hell can you possibly take Kendrick market off the field? And what about Jay Hughes?? He HAS to be on the field if healthy. Somebody will be the odd man out in that group, and with market being the youngest I will guess it is him. However, I expect him to play a LOT, or even take that starting role. He has a nose for the ball. I have no idea what to expect in this group. Hughes and Arrington's health may tell the tale of who starts.

In my opinion, the CB spots appear to be locked up on paper with Love and Calhoun....but what about Redmond?? Can you keep him off the field? Our Nickel package will be the best in the country! I expect a lot of shuffling in and out and keeping fresh guys on the field. And it appears that Deshea is high on Tolando Cleveland, and we know Jiles and Coman will play too.

It will be very interesting to see who comes away as the starters in the secondary, and how the rotations work...but one thing is for sure, we will go from inexperienced to full of depth in a hurry. This is a unit to be very excited about. And I haven't even mentioned the possibility of Marlon Humphrey (long shot) signing with us. He will be an immediate impact guy if he somehow chooses State.

I will break down each unit from a "who's available and returning" standpoint over the next few days, just to try and give us something to discuss....so let's keep this thread focused on the secondary....but what are the boards' thoughts on who grabs the starting spots and who you expect to step up? Will Hughes recover and regain his spot? Will Redmond start over Love and Calhoun?

One thing is for sure, there will be TONS of competition in the secondary, which will only make everyone better. It's a great problem to have, and I look forward to it. Reminds me of our baseball team and how there will be some serious battles for playing time at certain positions like this.

ckDOG
12-01-2013, 04:50 PM
For as much crap I spew about Mullen's personnel decisions on offense, he is proving to be excellent at developing talent and depth....despite his "shitty recruiting". I'm officially excited about next season.

messageboardsuperhero
12-01-2013, 04:55 PM
The secondary will be sick next year- really, the whole defense will.

Gotta pay Collins though. Please make it happen Stricklin/Mullen.

mic
12-01-2013, 04:55 PM
Don't forget about Tee Shepard.. Looks like better than 50/50 we get him..

CadaverDawg
12-01-2013, 04:58 PM
Don't forget about Tee Shepard.. Looks like better than 50/50 we get him..

Yea, I'm not even looking at new signees in this breakdown. If we sign a few immediate impact guys, it could get even better.

mic
12-01-2013, 04:59 PM
Cox at safety.. I agree that may be his best position and it will be interesting with Nickoe apparently done if GC moves and plays Cox at safety during bowl week practice and the game..

CadaverDawg
12-01-2013, 05:05 PM
Cox at safety.. I agree that may be his best position and it will be interesting with Nickoe apparently done if GC moves and plays Cox at safety during bowl week practice and the game..

Yep, I agree. I hope he does. It looks like we will be in good shape at CB, so no need in trying to make Cox a CB when it was obvious this season that it isn't his strong suit. I would expect the two starting safety spots to be 2 of these 3: Cox, Hughes, Arrington. But who knows

thedawg
12-01-2013, 05:27 PM
Arrington is gonna medical redshirt this year so we have him for two more years... He didn't play after week four and never redshirted so that played into the decision to shut him down... It was better to get him for two healthy years after Nickoe than rush him back and have him limp around the last few games

bluelightstar
12-01-2013, 05:30 PM
Pay. Collins. Now.

CadaverDawg
12-01-2013, 05:32 PM
Arrington is gonna medical redshirt this year so we have him for two more years... He didn't play after week four and never redshirted so that played into the decision to shut him down... It was better to get him for two healthy years after Nickoe than rush him back and have him limp around the last few games

Man that is great news. I wasn't sure if he qualified, so it's great to hear.

thedawg
12-01-2013, 05:35 PM
So basically I think u start four stars in Arrington and Cox at safety and Calhoun and Love at corner. Love is a natural to bump inside and play nickel locking up slots and u bring in a four star in Redmond to play the corner. Nickoe proved to us how devastating the Achilles injury is and I think Hughes will play but not start again until Cox graduates... What do u do with Market? He's a freaking player and has to have a role!

Big4Dawg
12-01-2013, 05:42 PM
I really wish someone would make a full-team depth chart. Would be interesting to see.

thedawg
12-01-2013, 05:49 PM
Well u can do defense easy... U lose nothing at lb but skinner... Replace him win Benequez... Then u have Richie and Zach as very experienced backups... Dez Harris takes over as sixth Lb. Then on DL u only lose Autry... Ryan Brown becomes starter... Torrey Dale or maybe Trent Simpson steps in with AJ Jefferson as quality depth. In middle u return the Jones duo with Eulls and Adams.. Then u have verges and probably Quay or James... Probably James as I think Quay is finally history.... We should be really good on D

thedawg
12-01-2013, 06:02 PM
Offense
Qb - u lose tyler add two Freshmen.. I'm guessing Staley redshirts Fitz doesn't because Fitz will be here for spring
Rb - u lose perk and I bet Milton transfers... I'm betting both freshmen redshirt but Aries may notz because he said that good. .. So u have Robinson as starter. Then u have Ashton and Griffen. Griffen is so talented if he can finally get healthy I don't think we have heard the last of him... If Milton stays I bet both freshmen redshirt for sure
Wr... U lose no one and add Christy.. I hope Fred brown can find more opportunities as I think he can play.. Derunnya will be special... Ross should make a jump.. Rojo is a heck of a possession guy.. Put up or shut up time for Morrow this spring... I expect the slots to continue to be weapons and Holloway to get better as he learns position.
TE - Malcolm and Artimas.. Get walley back... Where has Hill been lately? He may be hurt and I missed it or did Samuel just beat him out
OL - clausell will be a really good lt.. Malone and Beckwith battle at LG... My guy at center... Rg most people expect clayborn orprice from hinds but u could see Beckwith swap over... Rt I expect juco from Co lin but Damien isn't gonna just give it to him.. I've also heard good things on Cole Carter

CadaverDawg
12-01-2013, 06:41 PM
Offense
Qb - u lose tyler add two Freshmen.. I'm guessing Staley redshirts Fitz doesn't because Fitz will be here for spring
Rb - u lose perk and I bet Milton transfers... I'm betting both freshmen redshirt but Aries may notz because he said that good. .. So u have Robinson as starter. Then u have Ashton and Griffen. Griffen is so talented if he can finally get healthy I don't think we have heard the last of him... If Milton stays I bet both freshmen redshirt for sure
Wr... U lose no one and add Christy.. I hope Fred brown can find more opportunities as I think he can play.. Derunnya will be special... Ross should make a jump.. Rojo is a heck of a possession guy.. Put up or shut up time for Morrow this spring... I expect the slots to continue to be weapons and Holloway to get better as he learns position.
TE - Malcolm and Artimas.. Get walley back... Where has Hill been lately? He may be hurt and I missed it or did Samuel just beat him out
OL - clausell will be a really good lt.. Malone and Beckwith battle at LG... My guy at center... Rg most people expect clayborn orprice from hinds but u could see Beckwith swap over... Rt I expect juco from Co lin but Damien isn't gonna just give it to him.. I've also heard good things on Cole Carter

Don't for get about BJ Hammond at WR.

Also, I wouldn't be surprised if Mullen asks Griffin to add weight and become a fullback. Our RB depth is huge, and he lost a step with the injuries. However, he could still be a fast FB with great pass catching ability on play action. Plus, we really need a fullback.

Also, I would love for us to redshirt Elijah but not Fitzgerald, and see if we could slip Fitzgerald into a Tight End role while he is 3rd string at QB in his freshman year. It may be a situation where he finds out he likes TE more and can excel as a Grinkowski more than at QB. Then we would have Dak for 2 years, Williams for 3, Staley for 4, and Fitzgerald as a great TE and an emergency QB. Just a thought. It would be a way for Fitz to see the field quicker and he may like that.

MarketingBully01
12-01-2013, 07:09 PM
Very great points and with everyone's exuberance about talent and depth makes me think people complaining about us not having talent and not recruiting well are full of shit.

MarketingBully01
12-01-2013, 07:11 PM
What if Marlon Humphrey chooses us along with Shepard? If that happened not only would we have one of the best DL's in the SEC but also have the best secondary in the SEC as well.

smootness
12-01-2013, 07:49 PM
Were I making the decisions, this is how I would set up the depth chart going into next year (starters in italics). For guys who missed most of the year due to injury, I have listed them as the year they were coming into this year; technically, they won't be, but they all should get the extra year eventually:

OFFENSE:

QB: Dak Prescott Jr
Damian Williams So
Nick Fitzgerald Fr/Elijah Staley Fr (I would go into next year planning to redshirt at least one and only play one if I needed to)

RB: Josh Robinson Jr
Ashton Shumpert So
Aeris Williams Fr (would not redshirt him)

FB: Nick Griffin Sr - I think we could get an extra year for him after next year if we wanted to
Artimas Samuel So

WR: De'Runnya Wilson So
Fred Ross So
Fred Brown So
BJ Hammond Fr

WR: Jameon Lewis Sr
Brandon Holloway So

WR: Robert Johnson Sr
Jeremy Chappelle Sr
Joe Morrow Jr
Shelby Christy Fr

TE: Malcolm Johnson Sr
Artimas Samuel So
Brandon Hill Sr
Rufus Warren Jr
Gus Walley Fr

LT: Blaine Clausell Sr
Justin Senior So
Kent Flowers Fr

LG: Justin Malone So
Norman Price Jr
Archie Muniz Sr

C: Dillon Day Sr
Devon Desper So

RG: Jamaal Clayborn So
Ben Beckwith Sr
Cole Carter So

RT: Jocquell Johnson Jr
Damien Robinson Sr
Jake Thomas Fr

DEFENSE:

DE: Preston Smith Sr
Will Coleman Jr
Trent Simpson Fr
Torrey Dale So?

DT: Chris Jones So
PJ Jones Sr
Nick James So
Quay Evans Jr

DT: Kaleb Eulls Sr
Nelson Adams So
Curis Virges Sr
Jordan Washington So

DE: AJ Jefferson So
Ryan Brown Jr
John Harris Jr

OLB: Matt Wells Sr
Zack Jackson Jr

MLB: Benardrick McKinney Jr
Richie Brown So

OLB: Beniquez Brown So
Dez Harris Fr

CB: Will Redmond Jr
Jamerson Love Sr
Gabe Myles Fr
Jahmere Irvin-Sills Fr

SS: Jay Hughes Jr
Dee Arrington Jr
Deontay Evans So
Quadry Antoine So

FS: Justin Cox Sr
Kendrick Market Jr
Kivon Coman So
Brandon Wells Fr

CB: Taveze Calhoun Jr
Cedric Jiles So
Tolando Cleveland So

SPECIAL TEAMS:

P: Devon Bell Jr
Logan Cooke Fr

PK: Not currently on roster
No one currently on roster

KR: Brandon Holloway So
Jameon Lewis Sr
Justin Cox Sr
Will Redmond Jr

PR: Justin Cox Sr
Will Redmond Jr

I don't know where to put a couple of guys, like Christian Holmes. And I would throw in somebody like Gerri Green, but I'm not sure how ready he'll be next year, given his injury.

Also, the defense will vary quite a bit. For instance, I'm sure we'll continue to run a lot of 3-man fronts, with guys like Richie Brown or Zach Jackson added as an extra LB depending. Love would be the nickel man on this depth chart; and personally, I like the thought of Chris Jones losing 20 pounds and coming off the edge, but it's hard to argue with his impact in the middle.

hailmari
12-01-2013, 07:52 PM
I wonder which of those guys can be playmakers in offense.. We do need speed there and on returns.

CadaverDawg
12-01-2013, 08:07 PM
Good write up, Smoot. I would put Turtle Holmes at Fullback behind Griffin in place of Artimas Smauel. It appears that Samuel will be a TE, and Holmes played some fullback/H-Back this year. Just a thought.

TrueMaroon
12-01-2013, 08:15 PM
major, major props to Calhoun. Hes a straight baller. I cant believe we have him for two more years. Love has been solid and he has only continued his improvement.

I dont see how you cant move Cox to safety. We are deeeep at corner. Him playing centerfield would be killer. Hes obviously got great ball skills once the ball is released, but I just dont think he looks as good backpedaling at the CB position.

Also, get ready to hear about Dez Harris. Collins loves him. Ran a 4.37 this year at LB.

Bothrops
12-01-2013, 08:21 PM
Will Redmond
Jay Hughes
Jamerson Love
Justin Cox
Cedric Jiles
Taveze Calhoun
Deontay Evans
Jahmere Irvin-Sills
Kendrick Market
Quadry Antoine
Tolando Cleveland
Kivon Coman
Dee Arrington
Gabe Myles

The talent makes you go "Wow". The depth makes you go "Wow". And the fact that only 4 of those guys will be Seniors NEXT year makes you go "Holy Cow". And Jay Hughes is one of those 4 and will likely get a medical Redshirt, so we really only lose Arrington, Cox, and Love after NEXT season.

My first thought is that a healthy Arrington, and Justin Cox would be the likely Safety combo to start the year. Surely Geoff just had Cox at CB this year because of our lack of experience, and will now move him back to Safety where he excelled in JUCO. That being said...how in the hell can you possibly take Kendrick market off the field? And what about Jay Hughes?? He HAS to be on the field if healthy. Somebody will be the odd man out in that group, and with market being the youngest I will guess it is him. However, I expect him to play a LOT, or even take that starting role. He has a nose for the ball. I have no idea what to expect in this group. Hughes and Arrington's health may tell the tale of who starts.

In my opinion, the CB spots appear to be locked up on paper with Love and Calhoun....but what about Redmond?? Can you keep him off the field? Our Nickel package will be the best in the country! I expect a lot of shuffling in and out and keeping fresh guys on the field. And it appears that Deshea is high on Tolando Cleveland, and we know Jiles and Coman will play too.

It will be very interesting to see who comes away as the starters in the secondary, and how the rotations work...but one thing is for sure, we will go from inexperienced to full of depth in a hurry. This is a unit to be very excited about. And I haven't even mentioned the possibility of Marlon Humphrey (long shot) signing with us. He will be an immediate impact guy if he somehow chooses State.

I will break down each unit from a "who's available and returning" standpoint over the next few days, just to try and give us something to discuss....so let's keep this thread focused on the secondary....but what are the boards' thoughts on who grabs the starting spots and who you expect to step up? Will Hughes recover and regain his spot? Will Redmond start over Love and Calhoun?

One thing is for sure, there will be TONS of competition in the secondary, which will only make everyone better. It's a great problem to have, and I look forward to it. Reminds me of our baseball team and how there will be some serious battles for playing time at certain positions like this.

Also, there's Brandon Wells. The secondary is really the deepest component of our team, and is very talented. I feel like one or two of these guys may end up on offense. We have two nice looking corners coming in, also. Crazy depth!

Goat Holder
12-01-2013, 09:25 PM
I think we have do whatever necessary to get Chris Jones back out at DE. I hear Preston Smith is attempting to go pro anyway, so it may take care of itself. We really need Evans/James to step up at the second DT. I guess PJ can play it.

Jones and Nkemdiche are both too damn fast to play DT. They are in the backfield so fast that half the time they can't even make the play.

Coach34
12-01-2013, 09:45 PM
I think we have do whatever necessary to get Chris Jones back out at DE. .

Dont count on it. He's 300 pounds and a freaking force inside. And he aint gonna lose weight- he isnt thru filling out

He and Kimchee both are DT's- and they will be All-SEC doing it

TrueMaroon
12-01-2013, 11:40 PM
Ahh yes, I remember the staff feeling like keeping Brandon under the radar was very important. I dont know how hes done since he got on campus, but they believed he was a steal last signing day.

hacker
12-02-2013, 12:12 AM
Good writeup smoot. The only one I disagree with is Redmond over Love. Love has been tremendous this year.

smootness
12-02-2013, 12:18 AM
Good writeup smoot. The only one I disagree with is Redmond over Love. Love has been tremendous this year.

You won't get much argument from me. Obviously both will play a ton, I just love what I've seen from Redmond and think Love would be great in the nickel role.

smootness
12-02-2013, 12:21 AM
Preston Smith won't go pro, at least not if he's smart.

If he left early after this year, there's a fairly decent chance he wouldn't be picked at all. But if he comes back, with the talent on the DL we have returning, he could put himself in a pretty nice position for next year.

Barking 13
12-02-2013, 01:35 PM
Good write up, Smoot. I would put Turtle Holmes at Fullback behind Griffin in place of Artimas Smauel. It appears that Samuel will be a TE, and Holmes played some fullback/H-Back this year. Just a thought.

I'm with CD... Turtle is one of those guys that can be FB, TE, H-B, or LB....

after you actually see it on paper, it does make you a little wooly about next year. I just hope they use the extra practice time for the bowl game wisely...