PDA

View Full Version : NIL Simple Fix

Reason2succeed
07-20-2023, 12:57 PM
Okay, it?s not simple. There will still be problems because cheaters are gonna cheat and as an old coach once said if you?re not cheating you?re not trying.

The NCAA or Congress should make a rule that a player can only receive NIL compensation at one university. If they receive an NIL deal at their current school then upon transfer to another school they are no longer eligible to receive an NIL deal. Problem solved.

Reason2succeed
07-20-2023, 12:59 PM
Or if that is unconstitutional then create a rule that states that once you accept an NIL deal you cannot transfer. This rule would be more harsh.

viverlibre
07-20-2023, 01:06 PM
Okay, it?s not simple. There will still be problems because cheaters are gonna cheat and as an old coach once said if you?re not cheating you?re not trying.

The NCAA or Congress should make a rule that a player can only receive NIL compensation at one university. If they receive an NIL deal at their current school then upon transfer to another school they are no longer eligible to receive an NIL deal. Problem solved.

Do you want to be tied to your job like that? What if your kid got a partial scholly at one school and a year later got a full scholly at another, he/she shouldn't be able to transfer and get the scholly?

TrapGame
07-20-2023, 01:10 PM
Do you want to be tied to your job like that? What if your kid got a partial scholly at one school and a year later got a full scholly at another, he/she shouldn't be able to transfer and get the scholly?

Nope, because going to college to play a sport ain't a full time 9-5 job of the normies. We ain't dealing with bank tellers and accountants. This is not the work force. It's college athletics.

Quaoarsking
07-20-2023, 01:26 PM
I don't think restricting freedom of movement is the right choice. Instead, if a player transfers to a school with a higher total NIL budget, make the new school reimburse the old school for the NIL spent on him so far.

Also, there should be some kind of "luxury tax" and redistribution of NIL dollars at the conference level. Every professional sport has figured this out.

viverlibre
07-20-2023, 01:54 PM
Nope, because going to college to play a sport ain't a full time 9-5 job of the normies. We ain't dealing with bank tellers and accountants. This is not the work force. It's college athletics.

What if your kid got a partial scholly at one school and a year later got a full scholly at another, he/she shouldn't be able to transfer and get the scholly?

TrapGame
07-20-2023, 02:16 PM
What if your kid got a partial scholly at one school and a year later got a full scholly at another, he/she shouldn't be able to transfer and get the scholly?

No. This isn't you and me working part time at Costco trying for a full-time job at Walmart. The reason this fictional kid you bring up is getting that full scholly offer is b/c he probably showed out his sophomore season and some other big school wants to swoop in and take him away. The kid knew it was a partial scholly and he accepted it.

viverlibre
07-20-2023, 02:34 PM
The way to get a handle on this:

1. Lower schollys to 65 or 70 (non scholly players can get x number of snaps without counting toward a scholly)
2. No transfer with immediate playing eligibility - player will sit out a year - on scholly and with his NIL
3. All costs/arrangements for recruiting visit paid for by the recruit/transferring player

Tbonewannabe
07-20-2023, 02:39 PM
I think put in that unless a player plays under a certain number of plays then they have to sit a year. Let them still get the NIL but is a school going to pay someone not to play?

You have to give a chance to transfer if they are not getting to play. Bama going to go back to the old Bear days of getting kids to go to Bama just to keep them off other teams. I think lowering the available players would help also. Bring it down to 70 available players per year barring injury.

The Federalist Engineer
07-20-2023, 03:33 PM
What's wrong with personal freedom? Just asking for a friend

Long term. the IRS is going to crush this money laundering or the Top-24 NIL schools will become a "collegiate" super league. Compete with the NFL viewers and totally empty out many Alabama trust funds in the process.

Then the other 130 colleges can make a new league. Still good, probably better.

the_real_MSU_is_us
07-20-2023, 04:08 PM
What's wrong with personal freedom? Just asking for a friend

Long term. the IRS is going to crush this money laundering or the Top-24 NIL schools will become a "collegiate" super league. Compete with the NFL viewers and totally empty out many Alabama trust funds in the process.

Then the other 130 colleges can make a new league. Still good, probably better.

Thats how I see it. Big 10 and SEC super leagues will continue to poach the best programs, the TV deals will widen the gap between them and everyone else, and they'll kick the NCAA to the curb to do it how they want. The rest of the schools will pick up the pieces of actual college athletics and probably agree that this money in college sports thing needs tight regulation. That will be the real college sports. SEC and B10 would be the Pro Sports' farm system. Where will State be? Probably getting paid a crap ton to take our annual beatings.

the_real_MSU_is_us
07-20-2023, 04:15 PM
No. This isn't you and me working part time at Costco trying for a full-time job at Walmart. The reason this fictional kid you bring up is getting that full scholly offer is b/c he probably showed out his sophomore season and some other big school wants to swoop in and take him away. The kid knew it was a partial scholly and he accepted it.

I mean to use your analogy, the Costco kid accepted a job for $8 and 20h a week, why should they get to go to Walmart for $12 and hour and 40h? Why shouldn't he be forced to stay at Costco for 4 years like you think the college player should?

To me a college athlete is the ssme as a colelge student with a job as say, a waiter. If a college student spend 20h a week waiting tables and gets a shot to work at a very high end restaurant (more tip money), should they be allowed to take it? Or should they be forced to stay at their current restaurant till they graduate?

Well, college athletes are students who get "paid" via scholarship and NIL to play a sport. If a better offer comes along, why shouldn't they be allowed to take it just like the waiter?

Reason2succeed
07-20-2023, 04:48 PM
Their freedom to move is only restricted if they make an NIL deal. It simply makes it like a contract with a non compete clause. It happens all the time in the corporate world. If you take our job you can?t leave us and go to our competitors for more money.

magrooder
07-20-2023, 08:17 PM
The answer is to end the free transfer. If you switch schools you have to sit a year.

the_real_MSU_is_us
07-20-2023, 08:58 PM
The answer is to end the free transfer. If you switch schools you have to sit a year.

Agreed. If a stud blows up and wants to get NIL, he can... but his value will go down as the new team is paying him NIL for 2 years but not getting playing time till year 2. This means his first team can't way underpay him, or he's better off taking a somewhat discounted NIL deal elsewhere and sit out. BUT, because he'd sit out, he doesn't want to leave, so the first team is more likely to reap the benefits of recruiting and developing a stud. And they can plan their roster better as well.

No pro sports team has free agency for all players every year. None. Not European soccer, NHL, nothing

Quaoarsking
07-20-2023, 09:43 PM
My suggestion would be for schools and players to sign an agreement for X number of years. If your contract is up, you can transfer without sitting a year, but at least your school new that was a possibility going into it and should have prepared.

Each incoming recruit can decide whether they want to sign a 1-, 2-, 3-, or 4-year contract. I would also require an automatic opt-out for any player once he gets his degree.

drummerdawg
07-20-2023, 09:53 PM
A college draft would solve a lot of problems.

TUSK
07-20-2023, 10:54 PM
I think we should give the old system another try....

No NIL
Unlimited Scholarships
Sit out a year upon transfer (outside confernce, of course)

SPMT
07-20-2023, 11:22 PM
Agreed. If a stud blows up and wants to get NIL, he can... but his value will go down as the new team is paying him NIL for 2 years but not getting playing time till year 2. This means his first team can't way underpay him, or he's better off taking a somewhat discounted NIL deal elsewhere and sit out. BUT, because he'd sit out, he doesn't want to leave, so the first team is more likely to reap the benefits of recruiting and developing a stud. And they can plan their roster better as well.

No pro sports team has free agency for all players every year. None. Not European soccer, NHL, nothing

I haven?t spoken to anyone directly involved in NIL management or disbursement, but surely we and no other school are paying these kids lump sums with no contractual agreement?..

Reason2succeed
07-21-2023, 02:03 AM
I think we should give the old system another try....

No NIL
Unlimited Scholarships
Sit out a year upon transfer (outside confernce, of course)

I guess you didn?t hear that the Supreme Court of the United States even with how divided they are found the lack of NIL opportunity to be unanimously unconstitutional with a 9-0 vote. That cat isn?t going back in the bag. The problem is the transfer portal in conjunction.