PDA

View Full Version : Dan Mullen on Egg Bowls, Jimbo Petrino, etc

Reason2succeed
07-18-2023, 01:28 PM
Once you get through the preliminaries this is a great insight from Mullen.

https://youtu.be/4M6rKuJgehE

BigDawg81
07-18-2023, 02:28 PM
Once you get through the preliminaries this is a great insight from Mullen.

https://youtu.be/4M6rKuJgehE
I wonder who is Megan kissing on now

State82
07-18-2023, 02:30 PM
I wonder who is Megan kissing on now

Sounds like a Jason Aldean song

gtowndawg
07-18-2023, 02:51 PM
The Egg Bowl part was great. Thaks for sharing.

ScoobaDawg
07-18-2023, 08:01 PM
Good stuff

But still always and forever.
F*ck TSUN

Leeshouldveflanked
07-18-2023, 08:22 PM
Mullen realizes he messed up.

TrapGame
07-18-2023, 09:58 PM
**** this guy.

OM player's were taunting Fitz while he was writhing in pain with his foot 90 degrees the other direction and Mullen knew he was on the next bus out of town the next day.

Yeah, **** this guy.

R2Dawg
07-19-2023, 01:39 PM

Agree. Appears obvoius every time MSU comes up with him. He knows it was the best time of his life and he screwed it up what could have been even better. Dang 2018, what could have been.

Captain Falcon
07-19-2023, 03:02 PM

Did he though? Do not get me wrong I was just as pissed as anyone that he left and it screwed up what could have been a great 2018.

But if you look at it from the other side, he left here and immediately went to three straight NY6 bowls (won two of them) and finally got to Atlanta by his third year. It ended poorly there, but his UF winning percentage was better than his MSU winning percentage.

sandjunky
07-19-2023, 04:37 PM
Did he though? Do not get me wrong I was just as pissed as anyone that he left and it screwed up what could have been a great 2018.

But if you look at it from the other side, he left here and immediately went to three straight NY6 bowls (won two of them) and finally got to Atlanta by his third year. It ended poorly there, but his UF winning percentage was better than his MSU winning percentage.

He inherited better offensive talent at UF

ZedFedder
07-19-2023, 05:26 PM
We are not where we are today without Dan Mullen. I?ll be grateful for him.

Matt3467
07-19-2023, 09:07 PM
I'd still taken Mullen back if I knew he wouldn't bolt and leave us again.

Barkman Turner Overdrive
07-20-2023, 06:16 AM
He inherited better offensive talent at UF

And the East teams were weaker than the West teams when Mullen was at Florida.

the_real_MSU_is_us
07-20-2023, 06:27 AM
I'd still taken Mullen back if I knew he wouldn't bolt and leave us again.

Pass. A coach needs fire inside him and I think he's lost it. He has no drive anymore.

Offshore Dawg
07-20-2023, 10:13 AM
Can we just try to enjoy who we have until proven otherwise.

Barkman Turner Overdrive
07-20-2023, 06:36 PM
Can we just try to enjoy who we have until proven otherwise.

Exactly. I had friends that said they would be all in for Dopey Dan Mullen coming back to Starkville this time last year while we had a future HoF coach currently on the sidelines. No thanks. His “developmental program” won’t work too well in the NIL era. He hated recruiting players and the signing period enough when he only had to recruit players once, let along every year. I don’t see him ever getting back into coaching at the college level and his system isn’t something an NFL owner would gamble on.

Goldendawg
07-20-2023, 08:29 PM
Dan didn't even have us prepared for a few Egg Bowls after he drew up regularly against bama. He & his agent were usually job hunting after the bama game. Can you imagine he and the Country Club boys trying to recruit in the NIL/Portal mess we have now?

Todd4State
07-21-2023, 04:40 AM
Exactly. I had friends that said they would be all in for Dopey Dan Mullen coming back to Starkville this time last year while we had a future HoF coach currently on the sidelines. No thanks. His “developmental program” won’t work too well in the NIL era. He hated recruiting players and the signing period enough when he only had to recruit players once, let along every year. I don’t see him ever getting back into coaching at the college level and his system isn’t something an NFL owner would gamble on.

I don't get the Dan Mullen love. It seems like a lot of our fans just give him a complete pass on some things. Maybe his ultra conservative play calling fits in with our pessimistic fan base "don't do anything stupid and take a risk". He also seems to share the "stars don't matter view" a lot of our fans have. Leach had us where Dan had us after a mini rebuild from the Joe Moorhead disaster- and I think he likely would have gotten us to a consistent 9-3, 10-2 type team had he survived. Arnett will most likely be as good or better too. To me, Dan didn't even accomplish as much as Jackie did.

The reality that our fans need to realize also is that coaches in this era are only going to last 10 years max in most cases outside of a couple of exceptions like Saban. Most are going to last shorter than that honestly. I'd guess Arnett will be our coach for about eight years if he is successful.

Odds are bringing Dan back would be a complete disaster. He's so arrogant it wouldn't surprise me if he simply used us as a way to rebuild his career and then go somewhere else. And it's not like Dan is the only coach that has ever won here before. Croom and Moorhead even pulled off 8 win seasons for us. And he can't recruit and wouldn't want to deal with NIL at all. If you can't recruit at Florida that's insanely bad. Sure he had to compete against Florida State and Miami but there is so much talent in that state even an average recruiter could pull off top 5 recruiting classes. He couldn't even get Emmitt Smith's son and was coming back to Mississippi to poach our guys.

the_real_MSU_is_us
07-21-2023, 08:18 AM
His awful recruiting at Florida certainly vindicated our "country club" criticism. Similarly, we said he was too loyal to upper classmen vs talented young guys, and that was vindicated too when he waited so long to play Richardson at QB. Lastly, i think we were also proven correct about "big game Dan". I remember State fans were told we were just salty when we brought these criticisms up, that we should be grateful to anyone who could get us to a bowl game.

TrapGame
07-21-2023, 01:58 PM
I don't get the Dan Mullen love. It seems like a lot of our fans just give him a complete pass on some things. Maybe his ultra conservative play calling fits in with our pessimistic fan base "don't do anything stupid and take a risk". He also seems to share the "stars don't matter view" a lot of our fans have. Leach had us where Dan had us after a mini rebuild from the Joe Moorhead disaster- and I think he likely would have gotten us to a consistent 9-3, 10-2 type team had he survived. Arnett will most likely be as good or better too. To me, Dan didn't even accomplish as much as Jackie did.

The reality that our fans need to realize also is that coaches in this era are only going to last 10 years max in most cases outside of a couple of exceptions like Saban. Most are going to last shorter than that honestly. I'd guess Arnett will be our coach for about eight years if he is successful.

Odds are bringing Dan back would be a complete disaster. He's so arrogant it wouldn't surprise me if he simply used us as a way to rebuild his career and then go somewhere else. And it's not like Dan is the only coach that has ever won here before. Croom and Moorhead even pulled off 8 win seasons for us. And he can't recruit and wouldn't want to deal with NIL at all. If you can't recruit at Florida that's insanely bad. Sure he had to compete against Florida State and Miami but there is so much talent in that state even an average recruiter could pull off top 5 recruiting classes. He couldn't even get Emmitt Smith's son and was coming back to Mississippi to poach our guys.

Great post Todd.

Dan Mullen 2009 - 2010 is not the same Dan Mullen 2011 - 2017. After 2010 he just stopped giving a shit. His play calling in '09 and '10 was innovative. The only bright spot after '10 is 2014 with Dak. He cost us a possible 8 win season in 2016 by hiring Sirmon who had no business as a college defensive coordinator. Dan did some great things for us but he also hung us out to dry a few times too.

Goldendawg
07-22-2023, 08:08 PM
Great post Todd.

Dan Mullen 2009 - 2010 is not the same Dan Mullen 2011 - 2017. After 2010 he just stopped giving a shit. His play calling in '09 and '10 was innovative. The only bright spot after '10 is 2014 with Dak. He cost us a possible 8 win season in 2016 by hiring Sirmon who had no business as a college defensive coordinator. Dan did some great things for us but he also hung us out to dry a few times too.

Wait. Who can forget Hollaway up the middle or QB draw on 3rd and long? He usually started his job search those later years after drawing up in his bama loss and he had us totally unprepared for the EGG against OM a couple of times. I haven't missed him since his late season antics, but JOMO was very tough to take. Loved Leach but his O often bored me to tears. Ready for the Arnett years. Hail State!

Johnson85
07-25-2023, 08:55 AM
Pass. A coach needs fire inside him and I think he's lost it. He has no drive anymore.

^^^THIS^^^ If we were looking for a coach, Dan having a wandering eye wouldn't be a problem. We're not giving our virginity to him, just asking him to win football games. The reason he wouldn't work is that he doesn't have the fire anymore. Well, actually, it's the lack of fire and I think NIL and lax transfer rules make his style of coaching untenable going forward.