PDA

View Full Version : First SEC Coaching Casualty

TheRef
12-01-2013, 04:22 PM
It belongs to Florida as they fire their OC and their OL coach following the first losing season since 1979 for the Florida Gators, per alligator.org (http://www.alligator.org/sports/article_833b8fd2-5ab8-11e3-9388-0019bb2963f4.html). Brent Pease (OC) and Tim Davis were fired this morning following Florida's 37-7 loss to rival Florida State at home. Athletic Director Jeremy Foley reiterated his support for Will Muschamp in a press conference today. Thoughts?

Todd4State
12-01-2013, 04:24 PM
I don't understand it. Florida should fire their defensive staff too.

smootness
12-01-2013, 04:30 PM
I don't understand it. Florida should fire their defensive staff too.

Florida should fire their entire staff. There is no reason for them to be this bad. They didn't have any huge recruiting sanctions or a serious drop-off in recruiting or a period of time with a bad coach. They were not a true 11-win team last year, and now they are a 4-win team. At Florida, that is inexcusable. Foley has been a very good AD, but it's clear Muschamp is not cut out for a job like that.

Coach34
12-01-2013, 04:33 PM
somebody's head had to roll. Foley is giving Boom one more year

WeWillScrewItUp
12-01-2013, 04:34 PM
I'm guessing Muschamp is getting a little leniency because of the injuries they suffered this year. That is the only logical reason to me for him not being fired.

BulldogDX55
12-01-2013, 04:52 PM
I'm guessing Muschamp is getting a little leniency because of the injuries they suffered this year. That is the only logical reason to me for him not being fired.

I forget the exact numbers, but I think that more than half of their starters were down for the majority of the season. It was the worst I had ever seen.

was21
12-01-2013, 05:12 PM
And he broadcast it to the world. I'll say it for Mullen, he doesn't use that as an excuse..ever, when he probably has a better case than Muschamp because of the depth. On top of that, the media gets pissed because he won't release details of injuries. He can't win regardless. If you bitch about it, you're in fact not showing much respect for the guys who have to fill in and take over. I'm with Mullen on this.

msstate7
12-01-2013, 05:13 PM

Sugar bowl last year probably doesn't hurt either

MetEdDawg
12-01-2013, 05:37 PM
I don't see anyone getting fired unless Florida decides to change its mind and can Muschamp, which I'm not sure they do. Other than that, who is going to get fired or leave? I guess Saban could bolt to Texas, and maybe Franklin goes and gets a better job somewhere. Maybe Spurrier retires. Other than those, I think everyone else is safe or staying.

Question is, when was the last time there was ZERO head coaching turnover in the SEC? That just seems like something that would not happen very often in the SEC because of the competitive nature of the conference and how up and down many of the schools have a tendency to be.

WeWillScrewItUp
12-01-2013, 05:55 PM
Sugar bowl last year probably doesn't hurt either
This is very true.

I forget the exact numbers, but I think that more than half of their starters were down for the majority of the season. It was the worst I had ever seen.

I'm pretty sure I heard them say it was like 14 yesterday.