PDA

View Full Version : Picked last in the SEC WEST by 247

BlackSailsDawg
07-14-2023, 04:21 PM
Have a very vet team coming back. A 3 year starting and record setting qb. 3 year starting Rb... a OL that replaces 1 starter.

Etc.

Will we ever get picked appropriately?

DownwardDawg
07-14-2023, 04:30 PM
Of course we were.

BlackSailsDawg
07-14-2023, 04:34 PM
As old as I am, I should expect it. Lol.

BigDawg81
07-14-2023, 04:37 PM
247 huh? It goes with them dropping our recruits ranking.

Commercecomet24
07-14-2023, 04:51 PM
And they?ll be wrong again just like every year

Coach34
07-14-2023, 05:12 PM
When was the last time we were picked higher than 5th? How many times the last 15 years?

Cooterpoot
07-14-2023, 05:36 PM
https://i.postimg.cc/Z5K4j00Z/IMG-4984.jpg

Reason2succeed
07-14-2023, 05:43 PM
Getting picked last and not finishing last is perennial tradition now. Embrace it like cowbells and Hail State. 😏😏😏

MaroonFlounder
07-14-2023, 06:00 PM
I think Arnett & staff will do well, but think about it.

Allegiances aside, we would not pick a middle of the pack SEC team not named Mississippi State to light the world on fire with a first time head coach, new coordinators, new scheme, and playing an SEC schedule.

All the tossups in conference (except the Egg Bowl) are on the road.

Cooterpoot
07-14-2023, 06:09 PM

Allegiances aside, we would not pick a middle of the pack SEC team not named Mississippi State to light the world on fire with a first time head coach, new coordinators, new scheme, and playing an SEC schedule.

Nevermind we return just about our whole damn team. This team is top 4 in the West. We didn't have offense last year and didn't finish last . It's sad we have fans that making excuses for the biased BS. How many times have we finished last since Mullen got here? Not a lot.

BlackSailsDawg
07-14-2023, 06:56 PM
Wife found a shirt. says something to the extent of... "You might not like, you might ignore us.... but you damn sure gonna hear us!" huge cowbell on the front.

Cowbell
07-14-2023, 07:12 PM
Boy, you know Arnette is lovin this.... he is going to remind them boys daily

StarkVegasSteve
07-14-2023, 07:15 PM
1st time HC, new OC, newish DC, new scheme…..I mean it is not hard to figure out why people are picking us last. We have to prove it. I am saving my judgement for anything until at least after USCe

confucius say
07-14-2023, 07:41 PM

KY is home

Captain Falcon
07-14-2023, 09:24 PM
When was the last time we were picked higher than 5th? How many times the last 15 years?

2018, we were picked 3rd behind Bama and Auburn. We finished 4th. That stupid season.

We were picked 4th in 2011, we finished 5th.

I think those are literally the only two times we?ve been picked to finish above 5th in the last 20 years.

BlackSailsDawg
07-15-2023, 07:25 AM
1st time HC, new OC, newish DC, new scheme…..I mean it is not hard to figure out why people are picking us last. We have to prove it. I am saving my judgement for anything until at least after USCe

Did they pick LSU to finish last when O came on board or the current staff?

bigbub50
07-15-2023, 12:53 PM
Picked last is perfect for our blue collar head coach and program. Great locker room material. A good coach can use this as motivation. I?d rather be underestimated than picked higher than usual. I love it. Fires me up.

StarkVegasSteve
07-15-2023, 01:11 PM

Well remember now, Ed had been the interim for the last 7 games of the previous season and had also been the interim previously at USC.

The current LSU staff was brought on by Brian Kelly. He has been a HC for a few years.

Coach34
07-15-2023, 01:44 PM

Considering they never get it correct- does it matter?

TaleofTwoDogs
07-15-2023, 02:28 PM
Here's the deal, some of you guys need to step back from the keyboards and go to YouTube and watch the highlight videos of all of last year's wins (remember we won 9 of 13 ). Contary to internet message board ranting, our offense did some really good things. Probably the most disappointing part of our O-game last year was Rogers lack of physicality. A running QB can change the landscape of a game completely. But because Rogers was really the only viable QB we had on the roster, I'm sure CML drilled into Rogers a stay safe command. We need a strong backup (Wright?) to allow Rogers to mentally focus on being a complete QB. Is Will another Dak, hell no, but he needs to play for fun again and let the chips fall as they may. If the whole team is focused as much as CZA there is no reason a 10 win season is not doable.

R2Dawg
07-15-2023, 06:46 PM
Lather, rinse, repeat. We'll never be picked high and always to finish last or near last. OM will always be picked higher than us even if they suck. Just two things you can count on every year.

Now how we finish is a different story. I like the underdog view, the Dawgs tend to like it too.

Dawgology
07-15-2023, 07:19 PM
There’s an excuse to pick State last every year. New coach, new OC, new offense, new color jersey, it didn’t rain, etc. it’s always something. Picked last because Leach was our coach. Picked last because we lost Leach as our coach. End of the day it’s because we have the smallest fanbase in the west and their revenue is generated by clicks.

msudawg1200
07-15-2023, 09:16 PM
There’s an excuse to pick State last every year. New coach, new OC, new offense, new color jersey, it didn’t rain, etc. it’s always something. Picked last because Leach was our coach. Picked last because we lost Leach as our coach. End of the day it’s because we have the smallest fanbase in the west and their revenue is generated by clicks.

This is the correct answer, except we have the 2nd smallest fanbase in the West. Ole Miss is the smallest, but they pay for all of this preseason love they get every year.

Todd4State
07-16-2023, 02:36 AM
Even if we struggle on offense I still think we will be OK because I think the defense will pick up the slack.

That has certainly happened to us before- see Joe Moorhead's first season.

The only way I see us having a bad year is if we struggle on both sides of the ball. I guess that could happen- but I don't think it will. Mostly because we have a ton of experience coming back.

One thing about Barbay is IF he really does adapt to his personnel and since he doesn't claim to have an offensive identity we could certainly run some of Air Raid stuff we do well and probably be fine if we had to. No guarantee that's how it plays out but I guess it's on the table. I know he has said that he Y-Cross and I would imagine he has four verts in the playbook at least. If he adds Y-stick and mesh in there which may be in already he'll have over half the playbook in!**

StarkVegasSteve
07-16-2023, 04:26 AM
Even if we struggle on offense I still think we will be OK because I think the defense will pick up the slack.

That has certainly happened to us before- see Joe Moorhead's first season.

The only way I see us having a bad year is if we struggle on both sides of the ball. I guess that could happen- but I don't think it will. Mostly because we have a ton of experience coming back.

One thing about Barbay is IF he really does adapt to his personnel and since he doesn't claim to have an offensive identity we could certainly run some of Air Raid stuff we do well and probably be fine if we had to. No guarantee that's how it plays out but I guess it's on the table. I know he has said that he Y-Cross and I would imagine he has four verts in the playbook at least. If he adds Y-stick and mesh in there which may be in already he'll have over half the playbook in!**

This is the biggest key. Defensively we are going to be just as good, if not better, than last year with all we return. Just having the same offensive production as we had last year will get us 7 wins.

maroonmania
07-16-2023, 09:03 AM
This is the correct answer, except we have the 2nd smallest fanbase in the West. Ole Miss is the smallest, but they pay for all of this preseason love they get every year.

Never ending cycle, we get negative bias in these preseason predictions because we don't buy enough subscriptions or give enough clicks and then in protest we boycott them by buying less subscriptions and giving less clicks and the cycle is reinforced. Best thing is just don't worry about it because it will never change.

confucius say
07-16-2023, 09:15 AM
This is the biggest key. Defensively we are going to be just as good, if not better, than last year with all we return. Just having the same offensive production as we had last year will get us 7 wins.

Some would argue that we don't have a replacement on the roster for cam young, Forbes, or wheat.
Some would add jalen green and Jackie Matthews to that list.

StarkVegasSteve
07-16-2023, 10:09 AM
Some would argue that we don't have a replacement on the roster for cam young, Forbes, or wheat.
Some would add jalen green and Jackie Matthews to that list.

Forbes I will agree with. However, the others are replaceable imo. But I also think that D Cam having to play opposite of Forbes last year grew him up in the same way Forbes grew up playing opposite Emerson and Emerson grew up playing opposite Dantzler.

Dawgology
07-16-2023, 10:26 AM
Forbes I will agree with. However, the others are replaceable imo. But I also think that D Cam having to play opposite of Forbes last year grew him up in the same way Forbes grew up playing opposite Emerson and Emerson grew up playing opposite Dantzler.

Every team replaces key pieces every year. We have plenty of talented/ SEC quality athletes stepping in. If you swapped the State logo for about any other team logo in the west the media would be praising the move to keep our coaching staff largely intact and calling for a 8-9 win season.

Tater
07-16-2023, 10:27 AM

We were noticeably a step faster on defense during the spring game. Looked like we had "SEC speed" that I haven't seen out of the spring game since 2018. Maybe it's maroon colored glasses.

Todd4State
07-17-2023, 01:02 AM

You might be underselling us at 7 wins considering our schedule is easier this year. I'm fully expecting us to win 9 games no matter what the offense does. With a chance at 10.

Lord McBuckethead
07-17-2023, 08:31 AM
Neither times were first time HC. O had already coached before and so had Notre Dame guy. Arnett, to the best of my knowledge, has never been a HC before including peewee football.

Lord McBuckethead
07-17-2023, 08:33 AM
Wheat was a DUDE. I can?t wait to see what new DUDE becomes a force.

Captain Falcon
07-17-2023, 10:06 AM
You might be underselling us at 7 wins considering our schedule is easier this year. I'm fully expecting us to win 9 games no matter what the offense does. With a chance at 10.

I have us at 8-4 just because I don’t love having so many toss ups on the road with a first year head coach, but I can be talked into 9-3 I think.

Right now I feel like we lose to LSU, Bama, and at Auburn (just a weird hunch on that one). I tend to think we lose one more beyond that but can’t pinpoint which one, and I definitely think we have a chance in the LSU and Auburn games.

MagicDawg
07-17-2023, 10:11 AM
Boy, you know Arnette is lovin this.... he is going to remind them boys daily

If there is a year for them to have a chip on their shoulder, it is this year. This will feed it nicely. Make the talking heads eat their words.

R2Dawg
07-17-2023, 11:47 AM

Hmmm, do you see a pattern here? Same for DL - yall know the long list.

Anyone who questions our D talent can't be taken too seriously. Really

I been watching State be dominate in D for almost 50 years minus a few down years but that is one side of ball we can handle. Yes there is a 2016 year and couple other bad years butr in 50 years - Bama has those gaps.

R2Dawg
07-17-2023, 11:48 AM
Wheat was a DUDE. I can?t wait to see what new DUDE becomes a force.

Oh and those dudes are there. Can't wait to see who shows up.

confucius say
07-17-2023, 11:58 AM
Hmmm, do you see a pattern here? Same for DL - yall know the long list.

Anyone who questions our D talent can't be taken too seriously. Really

I been watching State be dominate in D for almost 50 years minus a few down years but that is one side of ball we can handle. Yes there is a 2016 year and couple other bad years butr in 50 years - Bama has those gaps.

Rarely have we been dominant defensively. Certainly have not been under arnett. We've been good though.

Coach34
07-17-2023, 12:22 PM
8-4 would be a good year. Schedule is tough.

LSU at home. Being early and at 11am gives us a shot- but will be a tough one.
SC on the road will be a tough one with them having a vet QB
Auburn on the road will be tough
A&M on the road will be tough
UPig on the road will be tough
Mississippi for the Egg is always tough

I'll take 8-4 right now. Our SEC road schedule is really tough. Could go 0-4 there (but I dont think we will)

Reason2succeed
07-17-2023, 12:36 PM
If there is a year for them to have a chip on their shoulder, it is this year. This will feed it nicely. Make the talking heads eat their words.

I agree that Arnett will be able to use this as bulletin board material but we have to remember that recruits and their parents see these predictions too. People who dont know any better just think Ole Miss is better than us because they spend some much time (in the preseason) in the top 25. They dont ever notice that Mississippi State FINISHED ranked because the media moves on from the final rankings right back to the next years preseason ranking. This can influence perception and perception can influence recruiting.

We need more MSU people in national media. Thank God for Brandon Walker but we need more national names to correct the record on Mississippi State. Is there anyone up and coming in the media that can fill that void?

BrunswickDawg
07-17-2023, 12:42 PM

I'll take 8-4 right now. Our SEC road schedule is really tough. Could go 0-4 there (but I dont think we will)

It's tough - but manageable. It's not like we aren't used to it, and we've won at all of those places on the road in recent years except SC. And Rattler is as unpredictable as anyone I've ever seen. Do you get the guy who was benched by Oklahoma or the guy who torched Tennessee last year? who knows?

R2Dawg
07-17-2023, 12:44 PM
Rarely have we been dominant defensively. Certainly have not been under arnett. We've been good though.

OK, so no lets debate what dominate means. In 50 years of my watching, MSU has been bad on D only a handful of times. Even Croom fielded good Ds. By dominant I don't mean #1 in NCAA or SEC - top half of SEC. OK now we argue about which catagories.

Compared to all other parts of Bulldog teams, the one constant you can count on is a very, very good SEC D which means a top 15-20 D in the nation. I call that Dominant.

Which team has had a bad D since 1980? a few late Felker 80s teams, maybe one Sherril team, Mullen maybe 1 or two, All others were good to great to a few best in nation. Can't say that about any other MSU group ever.

Again any serious expert who questions a competitive D and good D out of MSU ain't been watching for 50 years.

TrapGame
07-17-2023, 12:45 PM

We are 100% on the same page here. Spencer Rattler will be the only reason SC beats us. But I think A&M will implode over the dick measuring between Jimbo and Petrino. That place ain't big enough for the both of them.

confucius say
07-17-2023, 12:45 PM

8-4 would be tremendous.

confucius say
07-17-2023, 12:49 PM
OK, so no lets debate what dominate means. In 50 years of my watching, MSU has been bad on D only a handful of times. Even Croom fielded good Ds. By dominant I don't mean #1 in NCAA or SEC - top half of SEC. OK now we argue about which catagories.

Compared to all other parts of Bulldog teams, the one constant you can count on is a very, very good SEC D which means a top 15-20 D in the nation. I call that Dominant.

Which team has had a bad D since 1980? a few late Felker 80s teams, maybe one Sherril team, Mullen maybe 1 or two, All others were good to great to a few best in nation. Can't say that about any other MSU group ever.

Again any serious expert who questions a competitive D and good D out of MSU ain't been watching for 50 years.

I agree with your last sentence. We are competitive and good on defense all the time. The only dominant years I've seen are 99 and 2018.

Captain Falcon
07-17-2023, 01:41 PM
We are 100% on the same page here. Spencer Rattler will be the only reason SC beats us. But I think A&M will implode over the dick measuring between Jimbo and Petrino. That place ain't big enough for the both of them.

I am not ready to buy the South Carolina hype just yet. They are getting a ton of buzz because of two games. Rattler was really inconsistent other than one very good WR they lost a ton otherwise. They were pretty bad defensively last year and I am not seeing where they did a ton to address it.

We could lose that game if we play poorly but I think we are going to be the better team. My concern would be that is their first big home game and it feels like it has SEC Network 6:30 kickoff written all over it, so could be a crazy atmosphere in that stadium.

oildawg
07-17-2023, 01:50 PM
Good point. We?re normally stout on D. That Peter Sirmon defense was horrible but fortunately a rarity for us. Still bothers me that Arkansas didn?t punt the whole game

TrapGame
07-17-2023, 01:56 PM
I am not ready to buy the South Carolina hype just yet. They are getting a ton of buzz because of two games. Rattler was really inconsistent other than one very good WR they lost a ton otherwise. They were pretty bad defensively last year and I am not seeing where they did a ton to address it.

We could lose that game if we play poorly but I think we are going to be the better team. My concern would be that is their first big home game and it feels like it has SEC Network 6:30 kickoff written all over it, so could be a crazy atmosphere in that stadium.

I like this game. It has the makings of an actual SEC game where one team just doesn't dominate the other. I like our chances b/c Spencer is THE ONLY REASON SC wins this game. He's all they have.

Commercecomet24
07-17-2023, 04:00 PM
This says it all about the media!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-doE5gvU20

R2Dawg
07-17-2023, 05:26 PM
I agree with your last sentence. We are competitive and good on defense all the time. The only dominant years I've seen are 99 and 2018.

Like I said all about how you define dominiant. Dominant was meant it was not only good against the field but the very best of our team - year in year out. Our dominant group is the D.

If you define dominant as #1 D in nation like 99 and 18 well hardly anyone is dominant each year, even Bama don't have a dominant D as much as some think.

R2Dawg
07-17-2023, 05:28 PM

Agree, USC had a couple of big games last year but meh rest of time. We could lose on road but we can win too and it wouldn't be a big surprise.

confucius say
07-17-2023, 09:01 PM
I'll be surprised if we beat usce or auburn or Aggie on the road. Need to get one of those and beat Arkie on the road. That's our path to 8-4 along with 4 noncon and OM and KY at home.

Cowbell
07-17-2023, 10:51 PM
We were noticeably a step faster on defense during the spring game. Looked like we had "SEC speed" that I haven't seen out of the spring game since 2018. Maybe it's maroon colored glasses.

I think the same thing. Our defense will be the best it has been since 2018

Todd4State
07-17-2023, 11:29 PM

I'm fully expecting Tennessee game Spencer Rattler to show up against us and look like Mahomes.

I think A&M are on the down swing and Auburn has a new coach and new system. Freeze historically has been about 6-6 in year one.

BeardoMSU
07-17-2023, 11:51 PM
Freeze historically has been about 6-6 in year one.

Have a feeling Zach is going to have a bit more fire here than Danny Boy, too.

Tater
07-18-2023, 08:39 AM
We get Arizona at home.
We get LSU at home.
We get South Carolina in between @ Georgia and @ Tennessee.
We get Alabama at home.
We get Arkansas after we're on a bye and they play at Alabama.
We get Auburn when Freeze is a first year coach and they'll probably have 3-4 losses already.
We get Kentucky at home in between Tennessee and Alabama.
We get A&M in November when they'll be good and collapsed.
We get the Egg Bowl at home.

I can make the case that this schedule sets up beautifully for us to make a run. It's sad to say, but in my head I was already thinking last year that this would have been Leach's masterstroke year. 4th year QB, loaded talent on offense and defense, schedule sets up beautifully, it was all there. Arnett has a chance for something special this year.

R2Dawg
07-18-2023, 11:58 AM
We get Arizona at home.
We get LSU at home.
We get Alabama at home.
We get Auburn when Freeze is a first year coach and they'll probably have 3-4 losses already.

I can make the case that this schedule sets up beautifully for us to make a run. It's sad to say, but in my head I was already thinking last year that this would have been Leach's masterstroke year. 4th year QB, loaded talent on offense and defense, schedule sets up beautifully, it was all there. Arnett has a chance for something special this year.

When you lay that out, it certainly shows the possibility of a special year. Lot has to happen but I can see it possible.

BTW, this would be a good year to do it since last one before expansion which will be much more difficult going forward.

R2Dawg
07-18-2023, 12:02 PM

No doubt about that.

One thing I love about CZA is his approach and attitude. I think he has the right mix of calm and fire that the team seems to feed off. Brock looks like a typical D coord too after a similar mold. They will get most out of these Dawgs.

confucius say
07-18-2023, 12:22 PM
When you lay that out, it certainly shows the possibility of a special year. Lot has to happen but I can see it possible.

BTW, this would be a good year to do it since last one before expansion which will be much more difficult going forward.

I don't think our schedule will be harder moving forward IF we stay at 8 games, which we absolutely should.
Last year we played Bama, UGA, and LSU without drawing vandy or Mizzou. That will likely never happen again with an 8 game schedule and no divisions.

Coach34
07-18-2023, 12:28 PM
Sankey all but said this morning 9 games was happening and they are even looking at a 10 game SEC schedule

Tater
07-18-2023, 04:51 PM
Sankey all but said this morning 9 games was happening and they are even looking at a 10 game SEC schedule

People aren't ready for this conversation, but with NIL coming and already expanding so many games into week 0 / the CFP expanding... etc. 13 game regular seasons is the topic no one is bringing up. 14 games as well.

I could see the SEC adopting a 14 game schedule model, 10 SEC games, 2 FCS home (week 0 and week before rivalry week), 1 G5 home, 1 P5 H&H / Neutral. Give you 8-9 Home game checks a year each. Don't be shocked if that's the model by 2030.

EdwardDrayton
07-18-2023, 08:03 PM
Picked last in the West and now our coach is ranked last in the conference. Are we the ones who can't see clearly?!!?

https://www.al.com/sports/2023/07/ranking-the-sec-football-coaches-headed-into-2023.html

Coach34
07-18-2023, 08:09 PM
Of course he is ranked last right now- he is 1st time HC. There's no way you could put him above anybody else at this point

EdwardDrayton
07-18-2023, 08:28 PM
Of course he is ranked last right now- he is 1st time HC. There's no way you could put him above anybody else at this point

So the unvarnished truth is we've hired an unproven head coach.

Coach34
07-18-2023, 08:40 PM

Well yeah. This isnt news. We did it 8 months ago

the_real_MSU_is_us
07-18-2023, 08:40 PM

100% yes. But guess what? Every HC was unproven at one point. If you think you've got a good one, you hire him. Plus we can't hire stud G5 coaches- tried that with Napier, we waited on a bigger offer.

Coach34
07-18-2023, 08:53 PM
Kirby Smart
Dan Mullen
Sam Pittman
Jimbo Fisher at Fla State

Those guys were unproven HC's also

EdwardDrayton
07-18-2023, 08:54 PM
Well yeah. This isnt news. We did it 8 months ago

<chuckle> Glad to have you back to your old self Coach. :)

EdwardDrayton
07-18-2023, 08:56 PM
Kirby Smart
Dan Mullen
Sam Pittman
Jimbo Fisher at Fla State

Those guys were unproven HC's also

So you think we've hired a Kirby Smart. You may still have some drugs in your system. :)

Todd4State
07-19-2023, 12:32 AM
People aren't ready for this conversation, but with NIL coming and already expanding so many games into week 0 / the CFP expanding... etc. 13 game regular seasons is the topic no one is bringing up. 14 games as well.

I could see the SEC adopting a 14 game schedule model, 10 SEC games, 2 FCS home (week 0 and week before rivalry week), 1 G5 home, 1 P5 H&H / Neutral. Give you 8-9 Home game checks a year each. Don't be shocked if that's the model by 2030.

I'm all for that. I bet they do 2 G5 instead of 2 FCS though. I'd be fine with either one but let's say you are MSU. An OOC schedule with say USM and Memphis and Jackson State would be preferable over an OOC of Memphis, Jackson State and Samford. I'm sure the rest of the SEC would feel the same way too at an administrative level.

Todd4State
07-19-2023, 12:35 AM
100% yes. But guess what? Every HC was unproven at one point. If you think you've got a good one, you hire him. Plus we can't hire stud G5 coaches- tried that with Napier, we waited on a bigger offer.

What?

We hired Mike Leach away from Washington State but you're telling me we couldn't hire a coach from somewhere like East Carolina?

The real issue was the MSU administration attitude of "hiring up and coming coordinators" which had about a 33% success rate with Dan really being the only one that worked out. Cohen could have hired someone like Leach instead of Moorhead if he had tried to do so.

Todd4State
07-19-2023, 12:40 AM

Zach is not going to shop himself around every offseason and I don't think he will lose focus like Dan did for sure.

We get Arizona at home.
We get LSU at home.
We get Alabama at home.

I KNOW! This is a selfish reason for me being upset about Leach passing away and my biggest reason for wanting to stay with the Air Raid but with a few tweaks. Everything was in place. We can still do it and honestly we deserve a Cinderella run. We had to see Dan leave before 2019 when everything was set up for a special season and now we're having to deal with transition again and neither time has it been MSU's fault. It's not like we're impulse firing coaches here or anything like that.

BrunswickDawg
07-19-2023, 07:30 AM
So you think we've hired a Kirby Smart. You may still have some drugs in your system. :)

Kirby only had 2 more seasons of coaching experience when he got hired at UGA then Arnett has currently. Both were long time understudies to two of the best Defensive minds in football.
Both were the designated apprentice of one of the most respected head football coaches in the country.

Neither had run their own program before being given the keys to SEC programs. Kirby was only considered less of a risk because he had Saban attached to his career. Kirby took over a team that went 10-3 and proceeded to go 8-5 his first season and finished unranked (and don't buy the "team didn't have talent" - that team had a current NFL QB, 2 current NFL RB's, a current NFL WR, and at least half a dozen NFL defensive players). I think Arnett can do at least that. Kirby has the power of the UGA machine behind him - something Arnett will never have. So no, he won't be Kirby, but he can at least be Dan Mullen.

Tater
07-19-2023, 10:47 AM

He's undefeated as a head coach. Should be #1 since all the rest of the losers have actually lost a game.

TrapGame
07-19-2023, 11:04 AM
Zach is not going to shop himself around every offseason and I don't think he will lose focus like Dan did for sure.

We aren't going to have to worry about ZA jumping ship if he gets us rolling. He wants a program he can build and leave his fingerprints on. This is it. He'll be our Frank Beamer.

R2Dawg
07-19-2023, 01:34 PM
We aren't going to have to worry about ZA jumping ship if he gets us rolling. He wants a program he can build and leave his fingerprints on. This is it. He'll be our Frank Beamer.

I agree. I think CZA knows he fits MSU well and will stay when he gets rolling. He has already watched what CDM did. CZA is a lunchpail guy just like MSU. He sees what kind of talent can be brought into MSU too. He is a D guy and you can see the pride from CZA being MSU is that kind of school who pumps our league D players. He is a pig in slop right now.

I said years ago if CDM was smart he would stay but his pride got in his way and cost him. The highlight of his HC career is at MSU and what he accomplished. CDM could have potentially had a statue at MSU - not now.

Coach34
07-19-2023, 03:01 PM

You were making a big deal about an unproven HC- I was just pointing out other schools have made these hires as well. It’s about fit for a coach as much as anything. Arnett fits at State

Coach34
07-19-2023, 03:02 PM

I’d chill on the Beamer dreams in this day and age. But we do know that Arnett loves Sville and won’t leave for just any job and won’t be job shopping every off-season.

TrapGame
07-19-2023, 03:15 PM
I’d chill on the Beamer dreams in this day and age. But we do know that Arnett loves Sville and won’t leave for just any job and won’t be job shopping every off-season.

That'll pretty much put him on Frank Beamer level with me. But a lot of coaches are learning the grass is always greener around the septic tank.

Coach34
07-19-2023, 03:28 PM
That'll pretty much put him on Frank Beamer level with me. But a lot of coaches are learning the grass is always greener around the septic tank.

You can bet Mullen, Malzahn, Sumlin, Boom, and other coaches look at things differently now than they did years ago

confucius say
07-19-2023, 06:06 PM
Picked last in the West and now our coach is ranked last in the conference. Are we the ones who can't see clearly?!!?

https://www.al.com/sports/2023/07/ranking-the-sec-football-coaches-headed-into-2023.html

On3
Cubelic
Bratton

All have us last in the west. We will be picked last by the media tomorrow.

Coach34
07-19-2023, 06:23 PM
On3
Cubelic
Bratton

All have us last in the west. We will be picked last by the media tomorrow.

We were picked last Croom’s 1st season
We were picked last Mullen’s 1st season
JoMo inherited one of the best teams in the country
Leach was picked next to last his 1st year

It’s pretty common at State to doubt the new guy

confucius say
07-19-2023, 07:48 PM
I'd argue it's pretty common to doubt state. Period.

Bothrops
07-19-2023, 10:54 PM

And 2010

Coach34
07-20-2023, 12:04 AM
And 1980 as well while still pretty salty in 1981

Todd4State
07-20-2023, 01:54 AM
And 2010

2007 too. I think 2014 was really good but the whole 1A/1B thing limited their ceiling a LOT. That defense in 2014 had a couple of shutouts and the LSU score was misleading because Dan stopped being aggressive in the late third quarter and almost blew it. Also had a good game against Arkansas and Kentucky IMO that year.

the_real_MSU_is_us
07-20-2023, 05:53 AM
I think being picked last as a 1st year HC is a blessing in disguise. Say we finish 4th- we can tell recruits "look how much better we were than the media expected? Were building something here". If you are picked 3rd and finish 4th, it looks like the coaching staff underperformed their roster talent.

Now by year 2+? Getting picked last is bad for the HC because it looks like he hasn't earned trust via hos on field play.

Offshore Dawg
07-20-2023, 04:32 PM

I really believe this might be true, at the least I hope it works out this way.

lastmajordog
07-20-2023, 05:41 PM
2018, we were picked 3rd behind Bama and Auburn. We finished 4th. That stupid season.

We were picked 4th in 2011, we finished 5th.

I think those are literally the only two times we?ve been picked to finish above 5th in the last 20 years.

I don?t know if I will ever get over Mullen or JoeMo for that.......what a HORRIBLE train wreck of a possible mammoth team......Thanks Danno

lastmajordog
07-20-2023, 05:48 PM
And 1980 as well while still pretty salty in 1981

1982 was very salty when the injuries healed......look at the LSU game under the first night game at Davis Wade....One of the “DOGS” best games ever. Defeating #6 ranked LSU after they defeated the Bear. Also the coldest game under the most beautiful skies I ever remember. Do yourself a favor and watch this, football at its best.

https://youtu.be/xnIsv2vmdCc

Tater
07-20-2023, 11:43 PM
1982 was very salty when the injuries healed......look at the LSU game under the first night game at Davis Wade....One of the “DOGS” best games ever. Defeating #6 ranked LSU after they defeated the Bear. Also the coldest game under the most beautiful skies I ever remember. Do yourself a favor and watch this, football at its best.

Some of those calls in the last 5 minutes of the game... that clipping that killed our drive especially on our penultimate drive when we were tied. Man, the SEC really always hates us lmao.

raymonddawg
07-21-2023, 11:16 AM
I'm not sure why so many State fans are being so defensive on media teams projecting us to finish last. Sure, we've been better than expected the last 10 years, but there are tons of uncertainties around the team this year. Also, who in the west are we for sure better than? Nobody in my opinion. When its all said and done sure we could be better than Arky, A&M, OM, Auburn but i doubt it.

Offshore Dawg
07-21-2023, 11:26 AM
I'd argue it's pretty common to doubt state. Period.

Dawgs have been considered the door mat since the 50's.

BrunswickDawg
07-21-2023, 12:48 PM
I'm not sure why so many State fans are being so defensive on media teams projecting us to finish last. Sure, we've been better than expected the last 10 years, but there are tons of uncertainties around the team this year. Also, who in the west are we for sure better than? Nobody in my opinion. When its all said and done sure we could be better than Arky, A&M, OM, Auburn but i doubt it.

Here is why - MSU has shown since the last SEC expansion that we are competitive at a much higher level than people want to recognize. Over the past 11 seasons (2012-2022), here are the SEC overall standings:

Bama 80-10
UGA 71-18
LSU 58-32
UF 54-36
A&M 48-41
Aub 44-46
MSU 42-48
USC 40-50
OM 39-50
Mizz 39-49
UT 35-55
UK 32-58
ARk 23-67
Vandy 21-67

That now spans 3 HC, multiple OC's & DC's and the turnover of multiple "can't replace" players. It's entirely plausible that we could move up 1 spot on that list this year if we and Auburn continue where we have been the past 2 years.
Just keep betting against us though...

Tater
07-21-2023, 01:25 PM

Arkansas has no basis being above us.
We dominate A&M and they are a dumpster fire.
We beat OM at OM and return more than OM.
Auburn is a wild card and should be treated as last.

We should be 3rd with LSU #1 and Bama #2

the_real_MSU_is_us
07-21-2023, 02:39 PM
Here is why - MSU has shown since the last SEC expansion that we are competitive at a much higher level than people want to recognize. Over the past 11 seasons (2012-2022), here are the SEC overall standings:

Bama 80-10
UGA 71-18
LSU 58-32
UF 54-36
A&M 48-41
Aub 44-46
MSU 42-48
USC 40-50
OM 39-50
Mizz 39-49
UT 35-55
UK 32-58
ARk 23-67
Vandy 21-67

That now spans 3 HC, multiple OC's & DC's and the turnover of multiple "can't replace" players. It's entirely plausible that we could move up 1 spot on that list this year if we and Auburn continue where we have been the past 2 years.
Just keep betting against us though...

6 teams above us, amd 4 are in the West. 7 teams below us, only 2 are in the west.

We'd legitimately be the 3rd best team by record in the East. Instead, most national media types legitimately view Kentucky as equal or even better program. Why? Because they've played weaker East schedules

TrapGame
07-21-2023, 02:51 PM
6 teams above us, amd 4 are in the West. 7 teams below us, only 2 are in the west.

We'd legitimately be the 3rd best team by record in the East. Instead, most national media types legitimately view Kentucky as equal or even better program. Why? Because they've played weaker East schedules

And Coen, their OC that went to the NFL, is coming back this season. The college football talking heads are all over them as the dark horse in the East now. Gimme a frickin' break.

TaleofTwoDogs
07-21-2023, 05:07 PM

Why not give us the benefit of doubt. Preseason rankings are worthless so what do they have to lose. No one remembers who came in second anyway.

Coach34
07-21-2023, 05:21 PM
Why not give us the benefit of doubt. Preseason rankings are worthless so what do they have to lose. No one remembers who came in second anyway.

Chris Low weighs in:

“No team has been disrespected more in the SEC media preseason poll than @HailStateFB. The Bulldogs were picked last in the West, the ninth time in the last 12 years they've been picked last/next to last. But only three times since the 2012 expansion have they finished that low.“

https://twitter.com/clowespn/status/1682477152699031559?s=46&t=OwYh-8ppYKXqKt8QQD9Mtw

Captain Falcon
07-21-2023, 06:59 PM

We are 6-2 the last two years against that group of teams and return a ton of veteran players.

R2Dawg
07-22-2023, 08:09 AM
Arkansas has no basis being above us.
We dominate A&M and they are a dumpster fire.
We beat OM at OM and return more than OM.
Auburn is a wild card and should be treated as last.

We should be 3rd with LSU #1 and Bama #2

Tater that is a real look but the media and many MSU fans don't want reality. They want the MSU of yesteryear where they think MSU is Vandy of SECW. It just ain't so.

Only who Bama and UGA have longer bowl streaks in SEC and now all a sudden we gonna win just 2-3 games with a veteran team?

MetEdDawg
07-22-2023, 08:43 AM
Recruiting rankings. People still think recruiting rankings don't matter. But if we were consistently in the Top 20 in recruiting we wouldn't be consistently picked to finish last in the west.

We always overperform our predictions because we recruit better than we get ranked. And that does our entire program and university a disservice.

We will all sit here and say we are disrespected, but then we don't pay attention to the stuff that gets people paying attention. Recruiting and winning gets peoples attention. We do an amount of winning, but because we don't generate clicks and views, we will always be undervalued and underrated in recruiting. And that means we will have no chance to get the highest rated players.

We have to start generating views, dollars, and clicks if we ever want to be respected. If you deny that you deny the current state of publicity and the role it plays in college football.

Since 2014 and our 10 win season we have generated three 9 win seasons. And literally nothing has changed. Unless you win 10+ OR recruit in the Top 20, no one cares about you and the needle never moves.

State82
07-22-2023, 11:51 AM
1982 was very salty when the injuries healed......look at the LSU game under the first night game at Davis Wade....One of the ?DOGS? best games ever. Defeating #6 ranked LSU after they defeated the Bear. Also the coldest game under the most beautiful skies I ever remember. Do yourself a favor and watch this, football at its best.

Oh man! My first season after graduating. Remember it like yesterday. Thanks for linking that video.

Coach34
07-22-2023, 12:01 PM
Bond is the only QB in history to go 4-0 vs LSU

confucius say
07-22-2023, 12:06 PM
Recruiting rankings. People still think recruiting rankings don't matter. But if we were consistently in the Top 20 in recruiting we wouldn't be consistently picked to finish last in the west.

We always overperform our predictions because we recruit better than we get ranked. And that does our entire program and university a disservice.

We will all sit here and say we are disrespected, but then we don't pay attention to the stuff that gets people paying attention. Recruiting and winning gets peoples attention. We do an amount of winning, but because we don't generate clicks and views, we will always be undervalued and underrated in recruiting. And that means we will have no chance to get the highest rated players.

We have to start generating views, dollars, and clicks if we ever want to be respected. If you deny that you deny the current state of publicity and the role it plays in college football.

Since 2014 and our 10 win season we have generated three 9 win seasons. And literally nothing has changed. Unless you win 10+ OR recruit in the Top 20, no one cares about you and the needle never moves.

Yep. This is my beef with the stars matter crowd. Of course they matter for the top 5-10 recruiters who sign a bunch of 5 stars and high 4 stars. For recruiters 11-30, the results tell us there is no difference.

lastmajordog
07-22-2023, 02:05 PM
Some of those calls in the last 5 minutes of the game... that clipping that killed our drive especially on our penultimate drive when we were tied. Man, the SEC really always hates us lmao.

I still think those were THE BEST DOG UNIFORM?S OF ALL TIME.......

Goldendawg
07-22-2023, 07:57 PM

My family and friends were at one of those road games 12 strong in those days. I have never seen Tiger Stadium empty so fast late in the 2nd quarter. Seeing Bond run the veer was a thing of beauty and we had the backs and O line to do it. Was Danny Knight on those teams at WR or McDole? Had some tough TE's also. The uniforms were simple but true class. Hail State!

Todd4State
07-23-2023, 02:54 AM
My family and friends were at one of those road games 12 strong in those days. I have never seen Tiger Stadium empty so fast late in the 2nd quarter. Seeing Bond run the veer was a thing of beauty and we had the backs and O line to do it. Was Danny Knight on those teams at WR or McDole? Had some tough TE's also. The uniforms were simple but true class. Hail State!

There is nothing like watching Death Valley empty out in any quarter. Saw it for myself in 2014. Kind an awesome but surreal in a way sight.

MedDawg
07-24-2023, 01:52 PM

Our offense must have been slower***

MedDawg
07-24-2023, 02:17 PM
And Coen, their OC that went to the NFL, is coming back this season. The college football talking heads are all over them as the dark horse in the East now. Gimme a frickin' break.

Under Coen in 2001 UK had the #47 offense. With CMU Barbay had the #23 offense.

TrapGame
07-24-2023, 02:42 PM
Under Coen in 2001 UK had the #47 offense. With CMU Barbay had the #23 offense.

Arnett's defense lit up Coen's offense that year. Coen is not an upgrade over the last OC at UK. Why they went back to him, I don't have a clue.

R2Dawg
07-24-2023, 03:22 PM

Recruiting rankings don't matter, talent does but they are not the same.

On the field results is what reveals the truth and the truth is we are way better than recruiting rankings with on field performance (ahead of a lot of teams). This star gazing is a BS lazy excuse for a last place pick.

R2Dawg
07-24-2023, 03:24 PM

Bond running the wishbone was absolutely the best execution of an O in football history. The timely pitch to Haddix or quick throw (real RPO of the day) to a streaking WR as DE crashed down and CB ran up is a thing of beauty. Go watch some replays. It is unreal how good we ran the option in the day.

MetEdDawg
07-24-2023, 06:04 PM
Recruiting rankings don't matter, talent does but they are not the same.

On the field results is what reveals the truth and the truth is we are way better than recruiting rankings with on field performance (ahead of a lot of teams). This star gazing is a BS lazy excuse for a last place pick.

Maybe so. But it's the reality of where we are right now. Recruiting rankings matter. If they didn't, no one would ever care about Texas. But people talked about bad Texas teams all the times because they recruited well.

I don't know of any consistently good P5 teams that recruit poorly. Recruiting rankings matter. There's even shows dedicated to signing day and the schools that can orchestrate big names that day get massive publicity.

Find me a P5 team that wins a lot of games consistently and I'll show you a team that recruits well. Those rankings matter and the more we diminish their importance the further behind we WILL get. Not might. WILL

Goldendawg
07-24-2023, 08:22 PM
Maybe so. But it's the reality of where we are right now. Recruiting rankings matter. If they didn't, no one would ever care about Texas. But people talked about bad Texas teams all the times because they recruited well.

I don't know of any consistently good P5 teams that recruit poorly. Recruiting rankings matter. There's even shows dedicated to signing day and the schools that can orchestrate big names that day get massive publicity.

Find me a P5 team that wins a lot of games consistently and I'll show you a team that recruits well. Those rankings matter and the more we diminish their importance the further behind we WILL get. Not might. WILL

Must spread some rep before giving to MetEdDawg again.

bulldawg28
07-25-2023, 06:27 AM

It appears you're missing the point. Talent trumps a recruiting site any day. It's obvious we have talent and also obvious our talent doesn't receive the credit it deserves until the NFL recognizes it. So I ask you, which would you rather have fanboy sports writer accolades 4 stars or Mississippi state NFL talent?

confucius say
07-25-2023, 11:34 AM
Maybe so. But it's the reality of where we are right now. Recruiting rankings matter. If they didn't, no one would ever care about Texas.

Not sure what you mean by "recruits well," but if you mean finishes high in recruiting rankings then I can name you a lot that win lots of games but aren't even top 25 recruiters.

Off the top of my head. Utah. TCU. Kansas State. Iowa. Wisconsin. You could throw us in there considering 13 straight bowl games. Meanwhile, a bunch of top 25 recruiters don't turn out top 25 results.
Recruiters 11-35 are little to no different.

the_real_MSU_is_us
07-25-2023, 01:48 PM
Not sure what you mean by "recruits well," but if you mean finishes high in recruiting rankings then I can name you a lot that win lots of games but aren't even top 25 recruiters.

Off the top of my head. Utah. TCU. Kansas State. Iowa. Wisconsin. You could throw us in there considering 13 straight bowl games. Meanwhile, a bunch of top 25 recruiters don't turn out top 25 results.
Recruiters 11-35 are little to no different.

Exactly he's not understanding what the complaint here is.

There is a different between good RECRUITING (ie getting talent to campus) and good recruiting RANKINGS (ie having the sites say you got talent to campus).

Now, in general those recruiting sites are right about the top players. Most of the 5 stars are correctly rated, and most of the top 100 or so 4*s behind them are too. The recruiting services fall flat though after that. They do not have the money, time, or personal to analyze every MS HS and truly watch the tapes. They hear a guy from those schools committed to USM, they slap a low 3* on him. They hear he committed to State, they slap a mid 3* on him and maybe plan to review his tape later. They here Bama is interested they immediately look at the tape expecting to see a 4*, so that's what they see. They let college teams do their recruiting for them, but by definition that doesn't catch under the radar guys, like a SEC LB who's playing QB at a small backwoods HS and so doesn't look good on film because of it. But he shows his athleticism at our camp and we offer him.

Moreover, the recruiting services make money from clicks. That means focusing on and hyping up programs with big fanbases. Why would they spend time looking at 2A mississippi football film unless they already have an angle? If Bama/LSU/Auburn don't pick up on a MS kid, then 247 isn't going to find him via their own hunting. Now of OM, State, or Arky get a MS kid 247 MIGHT get around to looking at the kid and MIGHT rate him highly before the big schools notice. But often as not they ignore the kid entirely till he gets traction with big boys.

So, do you need players to win? Yes. Do recruiting services catch the elite talent? Yes, because the big programs are on the elite talent. Do they appropriately rate players that are below the Bama/A&M radar? No. Do they catch the diamonds in the rough? No. Do they even have half of the evaluation ability of a typical SEC football program? Also no. They ride the coattails of the of the real recruiting professionals, and because of that will always have confirmation bias favoring the big schools.

lastmajordog
07-26-2023, 08:32 PM
Oh man! My first season after graduating. Remember it like yesterday. Thanks for linking that video.

If memory serves injuries decimated that team for much of the year. Bond and company gave Georgia a heck of a physical game in Athens although coming up short. but when all cylinders were humming..... Danny Knight was a secondary nightmare at wide receiver, I think it was Ernie Barnes was a monster at def tackle, Bond, Haddix......good grief there were some absolute warriors on that team.....I believe they also kicked some rebel behind after LSU in Jackson..

PMDawg
07-27-2023, 02:13 PM

As with everything, the truth is in the middle. Yes, they matter, but it's like others are saying - only if they're correct. So, tell me about the four commits we had that recently got reduced from 4 stars to 3 stars. If they had committed to Bama or LSU, they would still be 4 stars, and that's a fact. We would be around 20th instead of 30th in the rankings. So, are those commits suddenly worse because some nerd behind a keyboard said so? Nah. We still have the same class we had a month ago when we started climbing into the teens. Recruiting matters. What some keyboard jockey thinks doesn't matter quite as much. There are tiers, and we're always going to be in the 2nd tier. Unless we're talking about moving from tier 2 to tier 1, then it's all noise. Tier 1 is the top 10 or so classes. They're fighting over the 5 stars and high 4 stars. Tier 2 is like 11 to 40. We're fighting for the other 4 stars, may get the occasional 5 star, and fill the class with high to mid 3 stars. Tier 3 is pretty much everyone else, hoping their low 3 stars pan out.

Coach34
07-27-2023, 02:41 PM
Let's look at recent 3 star draft picks from State:

Cam Young
Martin Emerson
Marquiss Spencer
Cam Dantzler
Tyree Phillips
Montez Sweat
Brian Cole
Elgston Jenkins
Logan Cooke
Hunter Bradley

We are pulling talent- regardless of rating

TrapGame
07-27-2023, 02:49 PM
Patrick Mahomes was a 3* recruit for Texas Tech. He turned out to be a little above average. ***