PDA

View Full Version : ESPN Layoffs

ZedFedder
06-30-2023, 08:25 PM
Wow. Has anyone else seen this? These are some big names. I hate to see Pollack let go.

https://frontofficesports.com/bad-day-in-bristol-espn-axing-20-on-air-talents/

Commercecomet24
06-30-2023, 08:31 PM
I used to watch espn all the time in the 80s,90s early 2000s. Watched sportscenter every night and multiple times. Watched baseball tonight every night and other programming. Now I only watch live sports. They?re bailing water.

CaptainObvious
06-30-2023, 08:39 PM
If they are hemorrhaging funds this badly, how are they going to maintain conference payouts and paying for the money losing bowl games they own?

EdwardDrayton
06-30-2023, 08:42 PM
I used to watch espn all the time in the 80s,90s early 2000s. Watched sportscenter every night and multiple times. Watched baseball tonight every night and other programming. Now I only watch live sports. They?re bailing water.

^^^^^. Sadly there's no quality sports reporting to be had, at least on a consistent basis.

R2Dawg
06-30-2023, 08:57 PM
If they are hemorrhaging funds this badly, how are they going to maintain conference payouts and paying for the money losing bowl games they own?

The parent company is just doing what they do to divisions - cut the fat. They got plenty of money.

ZedFedder
06-30-2023, 09:08 PM
The parent company is just doing what they do to divisions - cut the fat. They got plenty of money.
This is correct.

msstate7
06-30-2023, 09:11 PM
^^^^^. Sadly there's no quality sports reporting to be had, at least on a consistent basis.

Twitter and message boards make sports center and baseball tonight/nfl live/etc useless. You can find what you wanna know in seconds

Dawgface
06-30-2023, 09:25 PM
Haven't watched SportsCenter in years. Rarely watch any of the talking heads unless it's right before a big game.

Pancho
06-30-2023, 09:36 PM
Makes me spit out my coffee. Pollack is a decent dude but I'm not sure about all the others

Leroy Jenkins
06-30-2023, 09:52 PM

I'd watch every morning before school in the 80s-90s. Now I only watch if there is a game I want to see. People just want to be told about actual sports, not told how they should feel about sports.

coachnorm
06-30-2023, 10:30 PM

I would not be surprised if ESPN/Disney deduct money from the SEC contract for the 8 game decision. Now that subscribers are leaving cable and satellite for streaming services, that mandatory chunk of money attached is no longer attached. Consider what is evolving with the regional sports networks, the parent company just bailed out of their contracts.

DownwardDawg
06-30-2023, 10:56 PM

Right there with you. Now it's unwatchable unless there's a live game on that you are interested in.

DawgNamedScuba
06-30-2023, 11:51 PM
Disney owns ESPN, I sold my stock a long time ago...in a galaxy far far away

Dawgology
07-01-2023, 12:28 AM
I would not be surprised if ESPN/Disney deduct money from the SEC contract for the 8 game decision. Now that subscribers are leaving cable and satellite for streaming services, that mandatory chunk of money attached is no longer attached. Consider what is evolving with the regional sports networks, the parent company just bailed out of their contracts.

I would imagine we will see ESPN going 100% streaming as part of the Disney app sooner rather than later

coachnorm
07-01-2023, 10:51 AM
I would imagine we will see ESPN going 100% streaming as part of the Disney app sooner rather than later

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BTRDWpOKY2w

What is the benefit of getting an app if the SEC adds too many scrub games? Sure, the big games are great but they are only ONE time slot each and no more. Many time slots have to be occupied for an ESPN app to thrive. As I stated, I believe that Disney is developing a mitigation plan to deal with the 8 game decision because time slots will be negatively impacted to the point that Disney share holders will loose potential profits due to failure to provide the BEST season long product. I believe that Disney will seek redress in COURT to recover monetary losses due to the 8 game decision? Disney shareholders could very well bring a cause of action against ESPN for lost value to their portfolio because the SEC failed to provide a product worthy of the big contract with Disney. Could the shareholders perceive the SEC as failing to act in good faith by devaluing its product with scrub games attached to a huge contract?

Remember what is going on with the Regional Sports Networks that have just walked away from their contracts with baseball, basketball, and hockey. Streaming apps have shot a round across the bow?

WSOPdawg
07-01-2023, 10:57 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BTRDWpOKY2w

What is the benefit of getting an app if the SEC adds too many scrub games? Sure, the big games are great but they are only ONE time slot each and no more. Many time slots have to be occupied for an ESPN app to thrive. As I stated, I believe that Disney is developing a mitigation plan to deal with the 8 game decision because time slots will be negatively impacted to the point that Disney share holders will loose potential profits due to failure to provide the BEST season long product. I believe that Disney will seek redress in COURT to recover monetary losses due to the 8 game decision? Disney shareholders could very well bring a cause of action against ESPN for lost value to their portfolio because the SEC failed to provide a product worthy of the big contract with Disney. Could the shareholders perceive the SEC as failing to act in good faith by devaluing its product with scrub games attached to a huge contract?

Had the SEC been playing a 9-game SEC season prior to signing the new deal, this argument could be made. However, the only thing that's changed is the addition of OU and UT under the premise of continuing a 8-game SEC season. If Disney/ESPN want additional revenues, they have to pay for the 9th SEC game (which so far, they don't want b/c they feel they have enough quality coverage for their time slots already).

coachnorm
07-01-2023, 12:37 PM
Had the SEC been playing a 9-game SEC season prior to signing the new deal, this argument could be made. However, the only thing that's changed is the addition of OU and UT under the premise of continuing a 8-game SEC season. If Disney/ESPN want additional revenues, they have to pay for the 9th SEC game (which so far, they don't want b/c they feel they have enough quality coverage for their time slots already).

That was the thought process with the Regional Sports Networks until they played hardball. ESPN is bleeding subscribers currently and is going to tighten up its ship. I believe that part of that ship tightening will be to hold the SEC accountable for any decisions rendered that affects its share holders profits. Part of that accountability will follow the Regional Sports Network blueprint of just prorating the value of all ready signed contracts. The SEC can further determine its relationship with its cash cow after the fact.

viverlibre
07-01-2023, 12:46 PM
I only watch live sporting events, not one minute of commentary, so I could care less. Also, I really don't care about who calling the games, unless it's someone very annoying such as Mowins.

In the early 2010s, ESPN aired a prime-time program about gun violence, I knew they were in trouble at that point. I don't think most want their sports intertwined with politics/social issues.

coachnorm
07-01-2023, 02:42 PM
I only watch live sporting events, not one minute of commentary, so I could care less. Also, I really don't care about who calling the games, unless it's someone very annoying such as Mowins.

In the early 2010s, ESPN aired a prime-time program about gun violence, I knew they were in trouble at that point. I don't think most want their sports intertwined with politics/social issues.

I will further support your statement because I have found the same answer. I watch less cable and satellite programming every month. ESPN value to me is College Football, NBA, and occasion soccer. Over the years I have been forced to pay for ESPN, ESPN2, ESPN News, ESPN Classic ETC. ESPN has had to staff that glut of redundant sports gibberish when all that is needed is ESPN and ESPN2. Now people are streaming. If you have Peacock you get some football. If you have Paramount, you get some football also. YouTube, not YouTube TV can provide football also. In short more people can sever their relationship with ESPN. When that happens, Disney will dump ESPN to mitigate financial losses. That dump will cause the SEC monetary pain especially if Disney shareholders go for the SEC jugular vein for providing scrub content to preserve the 8 game schedule.

ESPN is going to get crucified with a wishful CF play-off fallacy which will run in competition with the NFL. The NFL is NBC, CBS, and FOX territory and they will protect their shareholders profits by controlling the money-making time slots. This will be brought to lite after the damage mitigation discovered by Disney shareholders. If a dumping of ESPN forced by shareholders happens, the SEC will not have an over the air presence?

parabrave
07-01-2023, 03:08 PM
Just cut my cable last week. Now streaming YouTube TV. Now I get ESPNU with all the other ESPN channels and NFL Network for 200 less a month. For MSU and Saints I listen to the home broadcasts so I don't have to listen to someone talking about BAMA or KY all game long. Rather listen to Neil

coachnorm
07-01-2023, 03:25 PM
Just cut my cable last week. Now streaming YouTube TV. Now I get ESPNU with all the other ESPN channels and NFL Network for 200 less a month. For MSU and Saints I listen to the home broadcasts so I don't have to listen to someone talking about BAMA or KY all game long. Rather listen to Neil

I spend $72 a month for YouTube TV and have my Son and neighbor on my plan so they pay nothing. I am confused because $72 is the standard price? Also I have added on to the ESPN and SEC thread.

What is ESPN going to tell Disney Shareholders when ESPN even tries to compete with the NFL after mid-December. ESPN sponsored bowl games will be devalued for the so-called sacred cow January-February play offs?

Now that were heading to an NFL mindset of post season over regular season, will regular season impactful games generate viewership revenue for Disney Shareholders? Think about NBA viewership when viewers just glance regular season then ramp up for the play-offs. This could very well happen to the SEC with viewers watching NFL in the hi valued urban areas like New York, Los Angeles, and Chicago. An Alabama versus LSU game will thrive there in September and October but tank during NFL play-off season. The SEC needs to make its money during the regular season with as many games getting eyes on them playing as many SEC games as possible.

One more mine field obstruction for ESPN is top star college players opting out of the expanded play-off season to prepare for the NFL combine. In this case the CF post season will take a huge financial hit that will be noticed by Disney Shareholders. If Disney Shareholder demand a severance for mitigation purposes like the Regional Sports Networks have started, ESPN is further screwed and so is the SEC without an on air presence.

Jacksondevildog
07-01-2023, 05:34 PM
Everything woke turns to shit.

R2Dawg
07-01-2023, 06:06 PM
The best thing ESPN has put out has been some of their documentaries. During Covid, the Last Dance was the best thing on TV. There have been some good ones over the years.

Homedawg
07-01-2023, 06:36 PM

They can't deduct it. BUT, they aren't paying us anymore money. Our take will stay the same even when Oklahoma and Texas come in. At least at present that's where we are. There isn't just a ton of bargaining power on the sec side. Need a big competitor to get more money. Sort of like negotiating w adidas. When. Ike doesn't have a legit offer on the table then you stay w what brought you. Nike might would take us.... at a much worse deal if they were willing. And we would be second fiddle to ole miss at Nike in our own state. Just killing two birds w one stone on this thread

coachnorm
07-01-2023, 07:23 PM
They can't deduct it. BUT, they aren't paying us anymore money. Our take will stay the same even when Oklahoma and Texas come in. At least at present that's where we are. There isn't just a ton of bargaining power on the sec side. Need a big competitor to get more money. Sort of like negotiating w adidas. When. Ike doesn't have a legit offer on the table then you stay w what brought you. Nike might would take us.... at a much worse deal if they were willing. And we would be second fiddle to ole miss at Nike in our own state. Just killing two birds w one stone on this thread

The SEC would be in good standing if it was to provide the best product on ESPN and that is quality games in as many slots as possible. Putting SCRUB games in television slots devalues Disney and does not put the SEC in good standings with either Disney shareholders or sporting community as a whole.

RocketDawg
07-01-2023, 07:56 PM
Hard to believe they're firing Susie Kolber. She's pretty much a staple of the network. But I suppose that they get raises every year, and pretty soon they're into the outrageous multi-millions and not worth their pay. All anchors and "talent" are pretty much paid much more than they should be.

Pancho
07-02-2023, 06:35 AM
Don't worry, they kept the woke pontificators to keep carry the torch.

MrCoachKlein
07-02-2023, 07:22 AM
Pollack and Young were 2 of the few I actually enjoyed listening to on pregames. Hasselback was good too. Weird they're getting rid of the people who actually know what they are talking about. Heck keep Pollack and get rid of Reese or Desmond.

Cooterpoot
07-02-2023, 09:56 AM

Same. Their decision to go political has ruined them. Too many opinion-based talk shows that also get political. It's a waste of my time.

coachnorm
07-02-2023, 11:56 AM
Same. Their decision to go political has ruined them. Too many opinion-based talk shows that also get political. It's a waste of my time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TjkfGWd_MIA&t=20s

ESPN is painful to watch. Live sports is all that is keeping them afloat. The SEC is ESPNs high value item which means SEC games and not SCRUB fill ins on week eleven. If Disney sheds ESPN, where goes all that contract money? The 8 game SEC schedule is the grenade with the pin pulled. The 8 game schedule with ESPN divested from Disney is the grenade with the pin pulled and handle released while still holding it. A divested ESPN could very well demand a 10 game SEC schedule to mitigate self inflicted damages caused by the SEC itself.

An ESPN app will not fly with a saturation of SCRUB content? SCRUB is WOKE commentary rammed down peoples throats and week eleven SCRUB games ETC.

viverlibre
07-02-2023, 01:05 PM
I think some of you don't realize the SEC has a contract with ESPN through 2034. So not having a 9th conf game is not going to cause any decrease in revenue. The SEC wisely didn't go to a 9-game schedule since ESPN offered no additional compensation. The SEC will likely move to 9 or even 10 conf games, but not until more cheddar comes for the additional game(s).

WSOPdawg
07-02-2023, 01:37 PM
I think some of you don't realize the SEC has a contract with ESPN through 2034. So not having a 9th conf game is not going to cause any decrease in revenue. The SEC wisely didn't go to a 9-game schedule since ESPN offered no additional compensation. The SEC will likely move to 9 or even 10 conf games, but not until more cheddar comes for the additional game(s).

Exactly

coachnorm
07-02-2023, 04:58 PM

Tell that to the Regional Sports Networks that just stopped paying those major league baseball teams. MLB now has to subsidize those teams revenue streams as damage control. When or if Disney sheds ESPN that contract to 2034 will be impacted. The SEC will not get the contracted money just like the MLB teams did not get their contracted money when a monetarily weakened ESPN goes into their damage control. If this evolves into COURT for redress, ESPN can plead that the SEC diluted its product with SCRUB games and should assume some responsibility for its contribution of weakening the financial status of its shareholders. The contract is as strong as ESPNs financial status and is not absolute at this time because ESPN is at risk.

Count Istvan Teleky
07-02-2023, 06:29 PM

I hesitated cutting the CSpire cable deal for a long time, thinking I wouldn't get the channels I wanted. YouTube has just about every channel imaginable, and I get what I want. Interestingly, I watch less TV now.

On the ESPN layoffs, I hated to see our former football signee get cut. Always had enjoyed watching Keyshawn.

viverlibre
07-02-2023, 06:44 PM
Tell that to the Regional Sports Networks that just stopped paying those major league baseball teams. MLB now has to subsidize those teams revenue streams as damage control. When or if Disney sheds ESPN that contract to 2034 will be impacted. The SEC will not get the contracted money just like the MLB teams did not get their contracted money when a monetarily weakened ESPN goes into their damage control. If this evolves into COURT for redress, ESPN can plead that the SEC diluted its product with SCRUB games and should assume some responsibility for its contribution of weakening the financial status of its shareholders. The contract is as strong as ESPNs financial status and is not absolute at this time because ESPN is at risk.

Huge difference between Bally Sports/MLB and ESPN/SEC. Certainly, ESPN could default, but that's not likely in the short term.

"ESPN can plead that the SEC diluted its product with SCRUB games," read that outloud to yourself, hopefully you'll realize how silly it sounds. The SEC has played 8 conference games for some time and they are continuing to play 8 conf games.

coachnorm
07-02-2023, 09:44 PM
Huge difference between Bally Sports/MLB and ESPN/SEC. Certainly, ESPN could default, but that's not likely in the short term.

"ESPN can plead that the SEC diluted its product with SCRUB games," read that outloud to yourself, hopefully you'll realize how silly it sounds. The SEC has played 8 conference games for some time and they are continuing to play 8 conf games.

I can not say that your completely wrong from a football perspective with quality games. BUT the cooperate game is content in time slots and that means all time slots, paid for, and there is no shortage of SCRUB games in the SEC menu. The Disney/ESPN shareholders want eyes on all paid slots and not just the premium paid for slots to generate revenue. Disney/ESPN could care less who wins the games, they want to win the time slots to generate revenue not good will? In short, you have credibility but I will read out loud my point of contention from a corporate point of view and the word SCRUB is accurate therein.

Todd4State
07-02-2023, 11:36 PM
ESPN doesn't appeal to average or hard core sports fan anymore.

I think their biggest issue is their content. I don't want to watch two guys yelling at each other over some hot take about LeBron James.

The reality is you get better content from other places on the internet whether that's casual fans or Barstool sports and stuff like that. I want to watch stuff like Mike Leach showing a film breakdown about how the Air Raid works, or how Andy Reid runs his offense, or who the Cardinals better prospects are and hear legit scouting reports on those players, etc. But the thing is I can get all of that when I want to on my own free will and time. And without their "expert" two cents.

I think they would be a lot better off just showing live sports and then having maybe one SportsCenter. Fill in the gaps in the wee hours with replays of the game of the day, Japanese baseball, or Premier League.

Count Istvan Teleky
07-03-2023, 07:48 AM
ESPN doesn't appeal to average or hard core sports fan anymore.

I think they would be a lot better off just showing live sports and then having maybe one SportsCenter. Fill in the gaps in the wee hours with replays of the game of the day, Japanese baseball, or Premier League.

As I recall, that's exactly what they did in the beginning and it worked well.

viverlibre
07-03-2023, 12:44 PM
I can not say that your completely wrong from a football perspective with quality games. BUT the cooperate game is content in time slots and that means all time slots, paid for, and there is no shortage of SCRUB games in the SEC menu. The Disney/ESPN shareholders want eyes on all paid slots and not just the premium paid for slots to generate revenue. Disney/ESPN could care less who wins the games, they want to win the time slots to generate revenue not good will? In short, you have credibility but I will read out loud my point of contention from a corporate point of view and the word SCRUB is accurate therein.

The contact hasn't changed, so the SEC's revenue isn't going to decrease. The only real complaint of the with one perm rival schedule would be getting rid of yearly games like Bama/Tenn, but replacing that game with Bama vs Texas, would probably draw the same.

Leroy Jenkins
07-03-2023, 01:26 PM
They have to make room for that Pat McAfee $85M contract.

viverlibre
07-03-2023, 02:15 PM

I vaguely know who he is, it seems like ESPN bids against itself.

coachnorm
07-03-2023, 03:00 PM
The contact hasn't changed, so the SEC's revenue isn't going to decrease. The only real complaint of the with one perm rival schedule would be getting rid of yearly games like Bama/Tenn, but replacing that game with Bama vs Texas, would probably draw the same.

If ESPN becomes a liability to Disney, the contract will change in the future if ESPN is divested from its parent company. You talked about one permanent rival when the name of the game is all SEC time slots throughout the football season. IF ESPN continues to bleed subscribers, as it is doing currently, the Disney shareholders are going to go for the jugular vein of ESPN and demand an explanation for so many scrub games on its docket. In short order if Disney looses money so will the SEC in the long game. That is why I question the viability of the current SEC contract.

SpaceWranglerDawg
07-03-2023, 03:08 PM
I miss the days when Sportscenter was an absolute necessity on a daily basis. Those were the days, and they were filled with talent. They'll never come close to the lineup that they had in the 90s.

coachnorm
07-03-2023, 06:46 PM
Here is some recent corporate thinking about ESPN by Disney and its shareholders. It appears Disney wants out. If the corporate mindset prevails, who is going to afford the SEC contract? That is the pretext to my statement that the SEC is putting itself at risk with SCRUB content during too many time slots. There could be a huge money fight between the SEC, ESPN, and Disney. The SCRUB slots could be seen as not acting in good standing with Disney by the SEC as part of legal mitigation? The signing of contracts before the damages might not shield the SEC.

https://techcrunch.com/2023/05/19/disney-is-reportedly-preparing-a-standalone-espn-streaming-service/

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/disney-will-spin-off-tv-networks-in-2023-and-stream-espn-directly-to-sports-fans-analysts-predict-11671566566

https://www.foxbusiness.com/markets/disney-dump-cash-cow-espn-abc-late-2023-wells-fargo-predicts

The Federalist Engineer
07-03-2023, 09:52 PM

I had no idea myself. He's an ex punter that comments college football. Fall is soccer season for me, so can't imagine how somebody is worth 85M when College Football covers itself. ESPN could just have reality USC cheerleader trials between games. The games are all that matters. To me at least, apparently some people want watch the talking heads too.

https://nesn.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/6a0115709f071f970b0133f536e605970b.jpe

viverlibre
07-03-2023, 10:14 PM
I had no idea myself. He's an ex punter that comments college football. Fall is soccer season for me, so can't imagine how somebody is worth 85M when College Football covers itself. ESPN could just have reality USC cheerleader trials between games. The games are all that matters. To me at least, apparently some people want watch the talking heads too.

https://nesn.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/6a0115709f071f970b0133f536e605970b.jpe

It just makes no sense. ESPN was built on live action sporting events, they should revert back and focus on that. Leave the "wild and whacky" stuff and hot takes to Barstool, etc.