PDA

View Full Version : What's a Friday night starter Worth...

Cowbell
06-28-2023, 09:14 AM
What do you guys think a Friday night starter is worth? Let's use Skenes for an example and say he went to the highest bidder (and my understanding is that wasn't the case). Skenes, imo, would have had us hosting. What is the value of that vs. where we finished? Let's say we want the top two aces in the portal - would are they honestly worth vs. not having them?

Cooterpoot
06-28-2023, 09:36 AM
$250K

Leroy Jenkins
06-28-2023, 09:48 AM
Its worth an advantage in all 3 weekend games. There is a domino effect because your previous Friday starter now moves to Saturday vs the other team's #2 guy, and your Saturday guy moves to Sunday vs their #3.
And it lessens the likelihood of grenading your pen early in the series.

viverlibre
06-28-2023, 10:03 AM
Skenes, imo, would have had us hosting.

You're damn right he would, most of our fans are too dumb to understand this though.

Cowbell
06-28-2023, 10:17 AM
You're damn right he would, most of our fans are too dumb to understand this though.

Now let's say what is the cost of a ticket to one of those games x 16000 fans x 3 games =

What if all 16000 said that would prepay to increase their odds of hosting that series at say $25/person... call it the fill the bucket campaign... that's $400k

the_real_MSU_is_us
06-28-2023, 10:30 AM

I think everyone understands it, but nobody wants to donate an extra 200k to make it happen

Cowbell
06-28-2023, 10:32 AM
I think everyone understands it, but nobody wants to donate an extra 200k to make it happen

Would everyone if give 10? Or $25?

viverlibre
06-28-2023, 10:43 AM
Now let's say what is the cost of a ticket to one of those games x 16000 fans x 3 games =

What if all 16000 said that would prepay to increase their odds of hosting that series at say $25/person... call it the fill the bucket campaign... that's $400k

I'm in.

Cowbell
06-28-2023, 11:01 AM
I'm in.

I am too and I think most would be too if it were a collective organized campaign. We could even do it at every regional we host instead of selling jello shots*

Ranchdawg
06-28-2023, 12:01 PM
Until all this NIL, collectives by schools fans and how much each player is getting paid is forced to be made public I think nobody knows but the director of the collective, maybe the coach, the players and the players parents know how much monies a Friday night starter is really worth. IMO I think all this secrecy and nobody coming out and having to tell how much they get paid is madness and needs to be fixed ASAP.

As they say college sports is a huge business that is shrouded in secrecy. Until there is some rules and transparency to all of this it will be forever be totall insanity to me. I have no intention of contributing my hard earned monies to something that I have no idea where or how it is being spent by a entity that is run separate from university by fans of a university. Crazy

Cowbell
06-28-2023, 12:12 PM
Until all this NIL, collectives by schools fans and how much each player is getting paid is forced to be made public I think nobody knows but the director of the collective, maybe the coach, the players and the players parents know how much monies a Friday night starter is really worth. IMO I think all this secrecy and nobody coming out and having to tell how much they get paid is madness and needs to be fixed ASAP.

As they say college sports is a huge business that is shrouded in secrecy. Until there is some rules and transparency to all of this it will be forever be totall insanity to me. I have no intention of contributing my hard earned monies to something that I have no idea where or how it is being spent by a entity that is run separate from university by fans of a university. Crazy

What they are getting paid and what they are worth are two totally different things

confucius say
06-28-2023, 03:55 PM
Well there isn't another Skenes in the portal. But if he had another year, he'd be worth 500k on the open market.

I think burns is worth 200k this cycle.

Mjoelner34
06-28-2023, 05:16 PM

Except unless the rules have changed, the school cannot give to NIL. I asked Charlie about this during football season suggesting a deal where the BDC could offset some seat cost if the amount that was offset was donated to NIL. He said they couldn't do it. The rules may have changed since then though.

Lord McBuckethead
06-28-2023, 05:36 PM
Maybe the city should put some money in. Starkville lost a shit ton of money, due to us not being good.

Coach34
06-28-2023, 05:38 PM
Except unless the rules have changed, the school cannot give to NIL. I asked Charlie about this during football season suggesting a deal where the BDC could offset some seat cost if the amount that was offset was donated to NIL. He said they couldn't do it. The rules may have changed since then though.

Correct- NIL is Booster/Businesses only. The school cannot be involved.

the_real_MSU_is_us
06-28-2023, 05:40 PM

Doesn't thebathletic department take in millions from donations though? Those donations need to go to NIL, and then stuff like selling out a SR can go to the university to offset the loss of donations.

Like does the Bulldog Club pay for part of coaches salaries? I don't believe there's any rule against the university picking up 100% of the salary, we've just used private donor money because there was no NIL alternative place for that money to go. But now, we should use the extra TV money to allow boosters to do NIL instead. Unless I'm wrong, I don't really know how all this works

confucius say
06-28-2023, 06:32 PM
Correct- NIL is Booster/Businesses only. The school cannot be involved.

Not directly. Although Aggie is doing it.

Pancho
06-28-2023, 06:39 PM
are we chatting with the 2 transfers from Wake Forest?

EdwardDrayton
06-28-2023, 06:58 PM
At this juncture? Selling our souls at the crossroads.

the_real_MSU_is_us
06-28-2023, 07:04 PM
At this juncture? Selling our souls at the crossroads.

I'm afraid we did that leading up to 21 and that's how we won thr Natty. Then OM got jealous and went to the same crossroads

Cowbell
06-28-2023, 07:31 PM

A bucket campaign....meaning volunteers steal lemonis bucket (and wipe away any official logo) and use it to collect money outside the gate...it's two-fold because it takes the bucket out of the dugout

Dawgology
06-29-2023, 12:19 PM
$250K

This. $250k and a solid endorsement deal from a local sports or MSU themed business.

MadDawg
06-29-2023, 01:09 PM
Scholarship