PDA

View Full Version : RIP Ryan Mallett

BeardoMSU
06-27-2023, 05:42 PM
Drowned at a beach in Florida. So sad.

https://twitter.com/On3sports/status/1673815467385815041?t=2Ej1gCn_YMz48OHCZcWu5w&s=19

DownwardDawg
06-27-2023, 05:52 PM
Wow

BuckyIsAB****
06-27-2023, 05:54 PM
Man that?s awful. He was fun to watch. God bless him and the family

Commercecomet24
06-27-2023, 05:56 PM
Wow that?s awful! Prayers for his family!

gtowndawg
06-27-2023, 06:08 PM
I just heard there's been 9 drownings this month around the Florida Panhandle. He must be one of them. Terrible.

The older I get the more I realize when the double red flags are flying do not get in. Those riptides are no joke.

Turfdawg67
06-27-2023, 06:13 PM
I've read more and more lately about ppl drowning at beaches. Riptides...

EdwardDrayton
06-27-2023, 06:31 PM
We've had several drownings and several near misses here. And some with just yellow flags. Too many folks come here and do not understand the danger nor how to handle a rip current.

SailingDawg
06-27-2023, 06:59 PM
I just heard there's been 9 drownings this month around the Florida Panhandle. He must be one of them. Terrible.

The older I get the more I realize when the double red flags are flying do not get in. Those riptides are no joke.

Vacationers won?t heed the warnings. Really tragic for families that have to deal with this in these circumstances.

Reason2succeed
06-27-2023, 07:11 PM
🙏🏾🙏🏾🙏🏾

EdwardDrayton
06-27-2023, 07:25 PM
Vacationers won?t heed the warnings. Really tragic for families that have to deal with this in these circumstances.

And a little knowledge can save lives:

1. Rips can happen in knee-high water
2. Rips are narrow. A couple of strokes parallel to the beach either direction usually will take you out of the rip.
3. Drownings usually happen when folks panic and try to swim against the rip, exhausting themselves
4. Rips will not pull you under water. Just stay calm and either ride the current out to the head or swim parallel to the beach to exit the rip
5. STAY OUT OF THE WATER DURING RED FLAG OR DOUBLE RED FLAG

The Federalist Engineer
06-27-2023, 07:52 PM
Hawaii has rips big time. A lifeguard came and called me an idiot for swimming in an area with my friends. I wasn't familiar with the hazard and he was passionate about his job. I decided to deescalate and walked away.

Later I found out that Hawaii has a dark side of dead tourist daily. Amateur surfers, amateur snorkeling, amateur cliff divers, and people that mix drinking and amateur vulcanology.

msudawg1200
06-27-2023, 08:28 PM
Our 2010 game against Mallett and Arkansas that went to double OT was one of the better games I've ever seen in person. Good game between two ranked teams. RIP

BeardoMSU
06-27-2023, 08:37 PM

2. Rips are narrow. A couple of strokes parallel to the beach either direction usually will take you out of the rip.
3. Drownings usually happen when folks panic and try to swim against the rip, exhausting themselves
4. Rips will not pull you under water. Just stay calm and either ride the current out to the head or swim parallel to the beach to exit the rip

Well said.

msu15
06-27-2023, 09:48 PM
It almost got me last summer in Ft. Walton. There was a legitimate 5-10 seconds where I thought I was about to die. They are absolutely no joke. RIP to Ryan and prayers to the family.

msu15
06-27-2023, 09:49 PM

Yep, I utilized 3 and 4(rode it out).

Coursesuper
06-28-2023, 03:26 PM

Absolutely! Don't panic ride it out.