PDA

View Full Version : My Ordeal

Coach34
06-27-2023, 09:31 AM
Last night I finally read the update threads and such on me- and it was riveting. I had to read till the end to make sure I made it. Now that I'm starting to feel slightly better and get a little energy back, I thought I would write about it. If it helps or inspires one person- its worth it.

1. Friday, June 2nd- took my sons to workout that afternoon. Started feeling bad-had to cut the workout a little short. Dropped kids at their Moms and went home. Felt crappy all evening- took melatonin about 9 and went to bed. Woke up at midnight and puked. Felt even worse than when I went to bed. Called Ex to take me to ER- she of course made me call 911. They did EKG and basic check on me- said all looked good. Asked if I still felt like going to hospital- I said hell yeah this doesnt feel right. Had I declined and stayed home I'd be gone.

2. I remember being unloaded out of the ambulance and put into a room in the ER about 1am. Ex joined me there. This is where my memory cuts off. Ex said we were in there until about 4:30 when I sent her home because kids had a swim meet to attend that morning. Said she was at the swim meet when she got a call from the hospital saying to get there ASAP as I had been coding and may not make it. She called ISeenItDawg and another friend of mine who met her there. Cant thank ISID and my other best friend enough for being advisors to my Ex and oldest daughter on decisions that had to be made.

3. I had a PE and they couldnt figure it out for the longest time. The PE I had was the equivalent of the widowmaker heart attack. I coded 4 times and was dead for a lot longer than 10 minutes the last time. Had I not been at the hospital- I would be dead. I already mentioned the guy that pushed on my chest for over an hour- he is a hero among many others. Once I stabilized, the question was not only would I live, but how much brain damage had I incurred during all this. My daughters came in and my local friends invaded the ICU waiting room. On Monday, my making it was considered to be about 10% at best. That led to ISeenItDawg's now famous quote- "very few people would make it in that situation....but if there is one asshole that would- it's that guy". By Tuesday they had to kick my best friend out of the room because every time I heard his voice- I would start trying to pull the vent and fight the nurses. I heard my youngest son speak and turned toward him trying to focus on him they said. Signs started getting better and they took me off life support on Thursday.

4. Those days while I was out started off completely dark- like an old Doors video where I could hear people talk but couldnt see anything. Then there would be flashes of me fighting against being restrained here and there and then Boom- on Thursday I was awake. I was foggy of course and would have clear moments. But I would also have hallucinations mixed in as well. Didnt sleep at all for next 3 days. They gave me drugs to try to get me to sleep and they didnt work. It was wild. I was talking to people who werent there and shit one minute and then all was good 5 minutes later.

5. Drs and nurses kept coming by me room to see "The Miracle" as I was called. It was shocking to all of them not only had I lived but that I had no apparent brain damage (well, no more than many of you already assumed about me). Met the nurse that pushed on my chest for so long and he was simply amazed. Said he figured there was no way he would be talking to me after all that. It was crazy. X-ray came in for some chest pics and the lady goes- "ok Miracle, I need some X-rays". I beat the odds. Got a 2nd chance most dont.

6. I'm recovering now. Kidneys are still a concern, but lots of good signs as of now with them. I go back to the kidney Dr on Friday. At home now, feeling tired and sluggish. Right leg is bothering me because thats the leg they used for dialysis. Right hand is now my "electric hand" as it feels like it's got that pins and needles feeling 24/7 like it's about asleep. Other than that- things are pretty good. Ready to get back to work yelling at kids in the weightroom ASAP.

7. Have to thank everyone again for all the prayers. Usually people die and never get to hear all the good things people will say about them at their funeral or at gatherings. I died, came back, and got to hear it all myself. Its overwhelming. My kids even look at me differently now after all the people reaching out and things people said to them about me. Hundreds of people reaching out the way they did was simply eye-opening and amazing. Had a close friend die a couple of years ago and his ex-wife climbed up in bed with me in the hospital kissing all over me (she's like a little sister) saying my waking up saved her as she was in a really bad place and my being on life support almost pushed over the edge. That's just one example of many but this whole experience has been something.

8. After becoming a vodka lover 15 years ago- I pledged to give it up for good. Dr said a couple weeks ago even if I recover- my kidneys took a hit and wont be in great shape. While I negotiated a glass of wine with my steak- I'm basically on the wagon for the rest of my life. I figure 35 or so years of being a top notch drinker is a good enough run for the Hall of Fame. That very tiny part inside me that contains a little redneck loves Lynyrd Skynyrd and in one of my favorites he sings- "And I've drank enough whiskey to float a battleship around". My battleship is floating as well.

9. While I had a falling out with the other owners years ago(we're all still friends btw)- Elitedawgs is still like my child. I feel like we created something great here. It's good to be back and arguing sports- something I've been doing since I was in kindergarten.

10. Hail State.

redstickdawg
06-27-2023, 09:41 AM
Glad to have you back, hopefully your kidneys regain function and here's to a long and fruitful life.

Quaoarsking
06-27-2023, 09:52 AM
The online community would not be the same without you. Glad you're back.

Matt3467
06-27-2023, 09:57 AM
Last night I finally read the update threads and such on me- and it was riveting. I had to read till the end to make sure I made it. Now that I'm starting to feel slightly better and get a little energy back, I thought I would write about it. If it helps or inspires one person- its worth it.

1. Friday, June 2nd- took my sons to workout that afternoon. Started feeling bad-had to cut the workout a little short. Dropped kids at their Moms and went home. Felt crappy all evening- took melatonin about 9 and went to bed. Woke up at midnight and puked. Felt even worse than when I went to bed. Called Ex to take me to ER- she of course made me call 911. They did EKG and basic check on me- said all looked good. Asked if I still felt like going to hospital- I said hell yeah this doesnt feel right. Had I declined and stayed home I'd be gone.

2. I remember being unloaded out of the ambulance and put into a room in the ER about 1am. Ex joined me there. This is where my memory cuts off. Ex said we were in there until about 4:30 when I sent her home because kids had a swim meet to attend that morning. Said she was at the swim meet when she got a call from the hospital saying to get there ASAP as I had been coding and may not make it. She called ISeenItDawg and another friend of mine who met her there. Cant thank ISID and my other best friend enough for being advisors to my Ex and oldest daughter on decisions that had to be made.

3. I had a PE and they couldnt figure it out for the longest time. The PE I had was the equivalent of the widowmaker heart attack. I coded 4 times and was dead for a lot longer than 10 minutes the last time. Had I not been at the hospital- I would be dead. I already mentioned the guy that pushed on my chest for over an hour- he is a hero among many others. Once I stabilized, the question was not only would I live, but how much brain damage had I incurred during all this. My daughters came in and my local friends invaded the ICU waiting room. On Monday, my making it was considered to be about 10% at best. That led to ISeenItDawg's now famous quote- "very few people would make it in that situation....but if there is one asshole that would- it's that guy". By Tuesday they had to kick my best friend out of the room because every time I heard his voice- I would start trying to pull the vent and fight the nurses. I heard my youngest son speak and turned toward him trying to focus on him they said. Signs started getting better and they took me off life support on Thursday.

4. Those days while I was out started off completely dark- like an old Doors video where I could hear people talk but couldnt see anything. Then there would be flashes of me fighting against being restrained here and there and then Boom- on Thursday I was awake. I was foggy of course and would have clear moments. But I would also have hallucinations mixed in as well. Didnt sleep at all for next 3 days. They gave me drugs to try to get me to sleep and they didnt work. It was wild. I was talking to people who werent there and shit one minute and then all was good 5 minutes later.

5. Drs and nurses kept coming by me room to see "The Miracle" as I was called. It was shocking to all of them not only had I lived but that I had no apparent brain damage (well, no more than many of you already assumed about me). Met the nurse that pushed on my chest for so long and he was simply amazed. Said he figured there was no way he would be talking to me after all that. It was crazy. X-ray came in for some chest pics and the lady goes- "ok Miracle, I need some X-rays". I beat the odds. Got a 2nd chance most dont.

6. I'm recovering now. Kidneys are still a concern, but lots of good signs as of now with them. I go back to the kidney Dr on Friday. At home now, feeling tired and sluggish. Right leg is bothering me because thats the leg they used for dialysis. Right hand is now my "electric hand" as it feels like it's got that pins and needles feeling 24/7 like it's about asleep. Other than that- things are pretty good. Ready to get back to work yelling at kids in the weightroom ASAP.

7. Have to thank everyone again for all the prayers. Usually people die and never get to hear all the good things people will say about them at their funeral or at gatherings. I died, came back, and got to hear it all myself. Its overwhelming. My kids even look at me differently now after all the people reaching out and things people said to them about me. Hundreds of people reaching out the way they did was simply eye-opening and amazing. Had a close friend die a couple of years ago and his ex-wife climbed up in bed with me in the hospital kissing all over me (she's like a little sister) saying my waking up saved her as she was in a really bad place and my being on life support almost pushed over the edge. That's just one example of many but this whole experience has been something.

8. After becoming a vodka lover 15 years ago- I pledged to give it up for good. Dr said a couple weeks ago even if I recover- my kidneys took a hit and wont be in great shape. While I negotiated a glass of wine with my steak- I'm basically on the wagon for the rest of my life. I figure 35 or so years of being a top notch drinker is a good enough run for the Hall of Fame. That very tiny part inside me that contains a little redneck loves Lynyrd Skynyrd and in one of my favorites he sings- "And I've drank enough whiskey to float a battleship around". My battleship is floating as well.

9. While I had a falling out with the other owners years ago(we're all still friends btw)- Elitedawgs is still like my child. I feel like we created something great here. It's good to be back and arguing sports- something I've been doing since I was in kindergarten.

10. Hail State.

I've been following the news and I've said prayers for you. I'm glad you're doing good. You're right it's very rare for someone to live through that and even be at the hospital. I was going to ask you if you ever saw that "light at the end of tunnel" so to speak or how that whole limbo experience went. It's not often you get a chance to ask someone that.

Saltydog
06-27-2023, 09:58 AM

10. Hail State.

Man, what a story Coach. No bright lights to heaven or fire and brimstone experience to share? I mean you could've at least thrown in a story about waking up in hell only to find out it was Oxford. Kidding aside, what an awe inspiring story you have to share.

TrapGame
06-27-2023, 10:03 AM
Lazarus34.

BrunswickDawg
06-27-2023, 10:04 AM
Congrats man - appreciate the 2nd chance. My grandfather had his widowmaker in the tail section of a C-5 on the assembly line at Lockheed. The fact they had EMTs at the plant was the only reason he lived and ever got to know his grandchildren.
That was 53 years ago. I got 23 years with him and cherish it. Hopefully you will get that many or more.

PMDawg
06-27-2023, 10:18 AM

10. Hail State.

I don't know your relationship with God, and it's none of my business (or anyone else's) so I'm not asking you to respond. All I ask is that you reflect upon it. You got a 2nd chance that most people never get. I know a lot of people prayed for you, myself included, and I see this as an answered prayer. Personally, I have to believe there's a reason. Again, the reason is none of my business. I'm sure you have much to reflect on. My .0000001 cent is that this deserves a spot on your list.

I've never been the biggest fan of your online persona, but I'm not dumb enough to think that we wouldn't get along if we met in person. You're probably too much like me for my own liking. HA! Regardless, I'm truly glad we didn't lose you. There's no denying your impact and knowledge. In the end, we're all part of the Bulldog family. Hail State, and Let's go C34!

RiverCityDawg
06-27-2023, 10:23 AM

10. Hail State.

Incredible. Thanks for sharing the details. You had Elitedawgs, Genespage and SixPack praying for you and asking for updates on your condition. The State "family" thing can be a bit cheesy at times, but a bunch of people online praying for a guy they might not even actually know in "real life" proves it is a real thing.

Hope you continue to recover well, and are giving bad nicknames and tormenting ole miss fans for many years to come!

SaintDawg
06-27-2023, 10:29 AM
Lazarus34.

TheMiracle34

All the best for a speedy recovery, Coach.

BulldogDX55
06-27-2023, 10:45 AM
You're an asshole, but you're OUR asshole. Place wouldn't be the same without you. Glad you made it.

Commercecomet24
06-27-2023, 11:15 AM
So glad you?re still with us brother! Truly a miracle! Still praying for your complete recovery!

R2Dawg
06-27-2023, 11:47 AM
I was offline during your time 34. Good to have you back.

Certainly you have a different perspective on life. We all can learn from that and make the most of every day. Life is very, very short and eternity is very very long.

viverlibre
06-27-2023, 11:47 AM
Damn dude, made me tear up reading this.

Sounds like your Ex was supportive?

DownwardDawg
06-27-2023, 12:01 PM
Thank you for this. I've been waiting for this post.

Offshore Dawg
06-27-2023, 12:25 PM
TrapGame has your new name right ✅️

Coach34
06-27-2023, 12:25 PM
Sounds like your Ex was supportive?

After years of being at each other’s throat- we have evolved into a situation the last year kinda like we are married- we just don’t live together or have sex.

We talk multiple times per day
We have to coordinate getting the kids where they need to be because they always have to be some damn where
I cook for them and drop it off or she will cook and drop me off some.
We check in with the other when at the grocery store to see who needs what
She has taken great care of me in all this bringing me watermelon, grapes, or whatever I requested while I was in the hospital.

Offshore Dawg
06-27-2023, 12:26 PM
Also 34, one of my favorite things about this site is your morning after the football game analysis.

parabrave
06-27-2023, 12:31 PM
One hell of a Story 34 and glad you're still here. Concerning the alcohol story every physical I get, and the VA pokes me every 6 months, I am asked "Do you drink alcohol" and I reply not in 10 years. I'm told they ask due to 3 things, Kidneys, Liver and Cancer. Now I'm 62 did my share of beer drinking and smoking up until 10 years ago. Every year I get a CT Scan on my lungs checking for Lung Cancer. So far so good and get my heart checked twice a year. Everyone should get checked out at least yearly and take your meds it can save you in the long run. If you have chest pains go see a Doc. you never know what it is/

confucius say
06-27-2023, 01:09 PM
Lot of answered prayers. I personally prayed that if your heart didn't know Christ that he would have mercy and give you a second chance. If you don't, please fix that. Be glad to talk, although there are many more qualified than me.
Happy for you!

Activated Alpha
06-27-2023, 01:12 PM
Glad you made the decision to go to the hospital. Keep up with your follow-ups man because they are just as important. Be careful with those blood thinners too

FISHDAWG
06-27-2023, 01:39 PM
Glad you made it back ... prayers for continued recovery... the board wouldn't be the same without you.... we will give you a little more time and then insist on you pissing some of us off with hard facts

EdwardDrayton
06-27-2023, 03:11 PM
Folks please heed the part Coach shared that saved his life. He knew something wasn't right and he did not dismiss the feeling.

I can tell you my experience was very similar. I too did not dismiss that feeling and it saved my life.

Thanks for sharing Coach. You likely will save someone else because they read this. Good to have you back. God certainly has more for you to do.

basedog
06-27-2023, 03:14 PM
Glad you are on the track to getting well! Amazing story and thanks for sharing.

Extendedcab
06-27-2023, 03:28 PM
Lot of answered prayers. I personally prayed that if your heart didn't know Christ that he would have mercy and give you a second chance. If you don't, please fix that. Be glad to talk, although there are many more qualified than me.
Happy for you!

Amen!!! This!!!!! ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Cooterpoot
06-27-2023, 03:52 PM
Awesome stuff!

klong-dog
06-27-2023, 04:22 PM
This is great stuff coach. So glad you're still with us. When hearing the news break, I had just arrived to North Carolina (coast) for vacation. I was totally bummed out and keeping my Dad informed with each update on you. He knew of you from years ago (Sixpack) when he would occasionally visit and read and then also communication on recruiting, ect... and I'd fill him in. You had countless prayers going up for you. Simply amazing. So glad you're still with us man.

TheLostDawg
06-27-2023, 04:26 PM
Also 34, one of my favorite things about this site is your morning after the football game analysis.

Yeah this place wouldn't be the same without you. So glad you're doing better.

TUSK
06-27-2023, 05:09 PM

10. Hail State.

Too Long/Did Not Read - that's what you get for buying cheap meth.

Coach34
06-27-2023, 05:14 PM
Too Long/Did Not Read - that's what you get for buying cheap meth.

Thanks for sending the care package. The squirrel broth and armadillo jerky were big hits

parabrave
06-27-2023, 05:25 PM
Hey 34 had you had any chest pains or any other indications of somethings up before this?

Coach34
06-27-2023, 05:41 PM
Hey 34 had you had any chest pains or any other indications of somethings up before this?

I had an arythmia with my heart in 2021 due to sleep apnea being untreated. They put me on a Med for that I had been taking and I had been fine. I also the calcium whatever test on my heart then and scored a 0 (the best you can score). So as I told the EMS people and then the people at the hospital- I wasn’t worried about a heart attack. Something else is going on

No kinds of signs whatsoever before June 2nd. Came on all at once.

parabrave
06-27-2023, 05:52 PM
I had an arythmia with my heart in 2021 due to sleep apnea being untreated. They put me on a Med for that I had been taking and I had been fine. I also the calcium whatever test on my heart then and scored a 0 (the best you can score). So as I told the EMS people and then the people at the hospital- I wasn’t worried about a heart attack. Something else is going on

No kinds of signs whatsoever before June 2nd. Came on all at once.

Like everyone has said dam good thing you went to the ER.

BuckyIsAB****
06-27-2023, 05:53 PM
Thanks for this. God is great. Glad you are here. GTHOM

memsu06
06-27-2023, 06:21 PM
Have you ever had a history of blood clots?

My Dad was diagnosed with AFIB last year, but leading up to then a few years before he had a blood clot in his leg. I'm now wondering if he was having AFIB then that could have been the cause of his blood clots and a symptom of AFIB. He ended up having to have a pacemaker put in because they couldn't quite get it under control with meds. They really discovered it when he was at the hospital after one of is passing out spells. He ended up coding later that night, but they were able to start CPR immediately. He stayed on the ventilator for a few days and like you wanted to fight the machine and pull out the tubes.

I highly recommend UAB if you haven't been seen there. My wife also has congenital heart issues, and we've been to Mayo Clinic, Cleveland Clinic, etc. UAB isn't Mayo good, but it's pretty high on my list of good hospitals and doctors.

Coach34
06-27-2023, 09:49 PM
No history of blood clots. I haven’t had any medical issue before 2021 happened

Dawgology
06-27-2023, 10:50 PM
I’m glad you made it through Coach it’s great to see you posting again. I don't post a lot anymore…lost a lot of family over the last year and it has put many things into perspective but it’s great to see you posting again and it gives me hope for many things. Keep getting better and fighting through. You and your family will remain in my thoughts and prayers.

Goldendawg
06-28-2023, 12:04 AM
Glad you're still with us. May God continue to bless You and Yours and those kidneys. Hail State!

CadaverDawg
06-28-2023, 12:10 AM
Welcome back Coach. You scared everyone, man. I never was convinced that a PE would take out a stubborn son of a bitch like you...but I was still praying for you. What's the biggest thing(s) you took away from a near death (or actual death for several minutes) experience? I can only imagine the amount of reflecting you've been doing. Just reading your story makes me take a step back and try to evaluate my life. Really glad you pulled through....I hope you continue on a fast road to recovery

TaleofTwoDogs
06-28-2023, 01:45 AM
Welcome back, now let's get ready for some butt kicking, fire breathing, get it done Arnett football.

preachermatt83
06-28-2023, 05:46 AM
You the man coach!

somebodyshotmypaw
06-28-2023, 06:30 AM
And Mike Leach said, “don’t bring him up here now. I don’t want to spend my first football season here in heaven arguing with Coach34 about running the dang football. Leave him on earth for now”.

WinningIsRelentless
06-28-2023, 07:40 AM
No history of blood clots. I haven’t had any medical issue before 2021 happened

Have you had Covid?

PMDawg
06-28-2023, 08:31 AM
Have you had Covid?

uh oh

EdwardDrayton
06-28-2023, 08:40 AM
Have you had Covid?

Pop the popcorn and put the beer on ice!

WinningIsRelentless
06-28-2023, 10:29 AM
Not the vaccine but the actual virus.

Coach34
06-28-2023, 11:01 AM
Have you had Covid?

Not that I was aware of

The hospital did make sure and ask if I had had the Covid vaccine- and that question was presented in relation to blood clots. It was asked one on one by a Dr after I had woken up

Coach34
06-28-2023, 11:04 AM
And Mike Leach said, “don’t bring him up here now. I don’t want to spend my first football season here in heaven arguing with Coach34 about running the dang football. Leave him on earth for now”.

Haha- nice

magrooder
06-28-2023, 12:02 PM
Glad you're back and hope you continue to fully recover. I'm looking forward to reading your incites and everyone questioning your sanity.

Also, prayer works.

TUSK
06-28-2023, 04:29 PM

https://media.tenor.com/p60X7690ZgcAAAAM/antelope-popcorn.gif

DownwardDawg
06-28-2023, 04:41 PM
Have you had Covid?

Hahahaha!!!!!!!!

sorrydog
06-28-2023, 06:05 PM
Amen.

Dawgface
06-28-2023, 10:00 PM
Glad you are home. Truly an amazing story. You mentioned working with your players. Do you think the Doctors are going to let you coach some this Fall? Whatever you do?.stay out of this heat.

Maroonthirteen
06-29-2023, 06:37 AM
Glad to see you are making it back!

somebodyshotmypaw
06-29-2023, 06:53 AM
Haha- nice

Certainly everybody was praying for you. So glad you are doing well. And your kids need you.

PMDawg
06-29-2023, 10:39 AM
Glad you're back and hope you continue to fully recover. I'm looking forward to reading your incites and everyone questioning your sanity.

Also, prayer works.

This mistake (Freudian slip?) is actually hilarious.