View Full Version : Vols to spent $95M on a new baseball stadium

the_real_MSU_is_us
06-23-2023, 09:55 PM
https://twitter.com/Russell___Smith/status/1672251055990505474?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5 Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1672251055990505474%7Ctwgr% 5E73121d78126357e7faa3511c7796f9c89c248854%7Ctwcon %5Es1_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.redditmedia.com%2Fmediae mbed%2F14h3czb%3Fresponsive%3Dtrueis_nightmode%3Df alse

Shows the level of commitment we're up against. That's big money boosters committed to building a national powerhouse

msstate7
06-24-2023, 06:49 AM
Us and OM winning a natty apparently woke up the rest of the sec, unfortunately. Looks like we headed into the same issue we have in football in basketball... we poor

Lord McBuckethead
06-24-2023, 07:31 AM
I wonder if the can figure out how to get in about 3k general admission bench seating.

BrunswickDawg
06-24-2023, 07:51 AM
I think this is a wrong take. We set the facility standard - again. And because we got it done when we did (remember our price is now 6 years old), others are having to spend a lot more to still get smaller, cheaper versions of what we built. Keep in mind too that because we had kept our ancillary baseball facilities at a high level, we didn't have to spend more on things like weight rooms, training facilities and indoor practice facilities. Y'all don't realize how far behind us a lot of the SEC was in baseball facilities. I got a tour of UGA's locker room and training facility before the UK games this spring - my local high school had better (thank you Adam Wainwright).

Now - where the money is going to catch us is in recruiting, NIL, etc. And, we will have to not be content or the other schools spending $90 million now on facilities will bury us by WINNING

msstate7
06-24-2023, 08:03 AM
I think this is a wrong take. We set the facility standard - again. And because we got it done when we did (remember our price is now 6 years old), others are having to spend a lot more to still get smaller, cheaper versions of what we built. Keep in mind too that because we had kept our ancillary baseball facilities at a high level, we didn't have to spend more on things like weight rooms, training facilities and indoor practice facilities. Y'all don't realize how far behind us a lot of the SEC was in baseball facilities. I got a tour of UGA's locker room and training facility before the UK games this spring - my local high school had better (thank you Adam Wainwright).

Now - where the money is going to catch us is in recruiting, NIL, etc. And, we will have to not be content or the other schools spending $90 million now on facilities will bury us by WINNING

The last paragraph is what I was referring to. I just take the other schools investing in baseball facilities now shows they care... their fans will follow suit in NIL imo

BrunswickDawg
06-24-2023, 08:12 AM
The last paragraph is what I was referring to. I just take the other schools investing in baseball facilities now shows they care... their fans will follow suit in NIL imo

Maybe - maybe not. Unless baseball overall is about to see a reverse in 30 year trends and become "the" sport again, I don't see it growing that much more fan interest. I think a lot of this is just keeping up with the Joneses. and because the SEC is flush with cash in general, schools are giving coaches what they say they need. It will be interesting to watch.

Leeshouldveflanked
06-24-2023, 08:36 AM
MSU winning only 1 National Championship in baseball was a very poor return on investment for the resources allocated over the last 40 years.

PGHBulldogBG
06-24-2023, 11:14 AM
MSU winning only 1 National Championship in baseball was a very poor return on investment for the resources allocated over the last 40 years.

Completely agree. Overall throughout our history based on the resources and money we have put toward this program our results are underwhelming in that department. At the same time, we do have one of the best records in the SEC overall and have achieved a lot of regular season success. We should have at least 3 or 4 natties though to match our other achievements

AlSwearengen
06-24-2023, 11:45 AM
Our underwhelming return on investment is part coaching and part town/location in my opinion. Polk was a good coach but he was more worried about the NCAA than actually winning. He also didn’t want to recruit in a way that was required. Cohen was our best chance at long term sustained success but he wanted to be a mediocre AD. He was finding, evaluating, and getting the talent. If Lemonis survives next season, he will have to permanently change whatever it is in his approach that has gotten us to where we are. I won’t speculate or spend time on that.

Being in MS is a disadvantage all the way around. Sorry, but it is. We can overcome it, but it doesn’t make things easier. We have also spent a lot of time being at disadvantages when it comes to scholarships and aid.

Barkman Turner Overdrive
06-24-2023, 11:48 AM
https://twitter.com/Russell___Smith/status/1672251055990505474?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5 Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1672251055990505474%7Ctwgr% 5E73121d78126357e7faa3511c7796f9c89c248854%7Ctwcon %5Es1_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.redditmedia.com%2Fmediae mbed%2F14h3czb%3Fresponsive%3Dtrueis_nightmode%3Df alse

Shows the level of commitment we're up against. That's big money boosters committed to building a national powerhouse

That’s a lot of money for a non-revenue generating club sport.***

Ranchdawg
06-24-2023, 01:03 PM
That?s a lot of money for a non-revenue generating club sport.***

Sorry to disagree but Club sports IMO are frisbee golf or bass fishing team or bowling team. I don?t ever recall 16,000+ showing up to watch those teams. And ask any business in Starkville if baseball is a non-revenue producer. And baseball being the ONLY sport that has routinely competed for a national championship and out right won a Natty. One time in football and one time basketball in a 120years. Talking about diminishing return on investment a 120years of not even sniffing a Natty for basketball and football.

the_real_MSU_is_us
06-24-2023, 04:01 PM
Sorry to disagree but Club sports IMO are frisbee golf or bass fishing team or bowling team. I don?t ever recall 16,000+ showing up to watch those teams. And ask any business in Starkville if baseball is a non-revenue producer. And baseball being the ONLY sport that has routinely competed for a national championship and out right won a Natty. One time in football and one time basketball in a 120years. Talking about diminishing return on investment a 120years of not even sniffing a Natty for basketball and football.

that poser is referencing C34 saying Lemo needs a year 3 to suck more because we can't spend big buyout money on a "non-revenue sport"

the_real_MSU_is_us
06-24-2023, 04:16 PM
Maybe - maybe not. Unless baseball overall is about to see a reverse in 30 year trends and become "the" sport again, I don't see it growing that much more fan interest. I think a lot of this is just keeping up with the Joneses. and because the SEC is flush with cash in general, schools are giving coaches what they say they need. It will be interesting to watch.

Who's payin the 95M for the stadium? Boosters. WHy? because they want to keep Vitello and win. Why would they spend 95M and give Vitello money just to then say "wait you want $2M a year for baseball NIL? That's crazy!"? They're going to invest in it that too. It'd be like buying land, building a house on it, then when it's time to paint and trim out, just abandoning it.

They can spend just $1M a year on baseball NIL and probably double what we'll spend. They could do $2M a year and not even notice.

I've said it before, but I don't think State fans get the scale of how poor we are. Teams like Tennessee spend $100M more a year on athletics than we do and like $60-80M of that is boosters contributing more than ours.

If the boosters decide ot win big in Baseball they can buy all the talent from us. LSU has already commited to winning via NIL. Now it looks like UF is on board too.

The scary thing is we're still at the early days of a Baseball arms race. look at football- you've got insane facilities, insane coaching salaries, insane NIL. Cam Newton went for 180K 13 years ago, today he'd be in the $2-3M range. Baseball is just now seeing really nice facilities start popping up, but the salaries are still in the six figures and the NIL is $200k for the top portal players. My bet is that within 5 years a Skenes will go for $1M, a stud 3B for $500k.

When do we get that new TV deal money? It's like $30M a year more than the old one. We need to try very hard to keep the same expenses and transition as much of that 30M to NIL. But Other programs will do similar so I'm not sure how much that helps

Homedawg
06-24-2023, 04:24 PM
Who's payin the 95M for the stadium? Boosters. WHy? because they want to keep Vitello and win. Why would they spend 95M and give Vitello money just to then say "wait you want $2M a year for baseball NIL? That's crazy!"? They're going to invest in it that too. It'd be like buying land, building a house on it, then when it's time to paint and trim out, just abandoning it.

They can spend just $1M a year on baseball NIL and probably double what we'll spend. They could do $2M a year and not even notice.

I've said it before, but I don't think State fans get the scale of how poor we are. Teams like Tennessee spend $100M more a year on athletics than we do and like $60-80M of that is boosters contributing more than ours.

If the boosters decide ot win big in Baseball they can buy all the talent from us. LSU has already commited to winning via NIL. Now it looks like UF is on board too.

The scary thing is we're still at the early days of a Baseball arms race. look at football- you've got insane facilities, insane coaching salaries, insane NIL. Cam Newton went for 180K 13 years ago, today he'd be in the $2-3M range. Baseball is just now seeing really nice facilities start popping up, but the salaries are still in the six figures and the NIL is $200k for the top portal players. My bet is that within 5 years a Skenes will go for $1M, a stud 3B for $500k.

When do we get that new TV deal money? It's like $30M a year more than the old one. We need to try very hard to keep the same expenses and transition as much of that 30M to NIL. But Other programs will do similar so I'm not sure how much that helps

I did t even read it all bc you said so many false things early I quit. But wrong.

Coach34
06-24-2023, 05:47 PM
zero of that 30MM can go to NIL. Absolutely none.

NIL is all booster/business generated

the_real_MSU_is_us
06-24-2023, 06:05 PM
Money is fungible. Instead of asking boosters to fund a replacement for the Hump, the 30M can be used and the boosters donate to NIL instead.

the_real_MSU_is_us
06-24-2023, 06:08 PM
I did t even read it all bc you said so many false things early I quit. But wrong.

I hope I am. But I don't see how. UF spent more than we did in their baseball stadium. UT is spending 95m. Money we can't (or at least, arent currently) compete with is flowing into NIL. If that's not signs baseball is becoming an arms race I don't know what is.

Homedawg
06-24-2023, 06:52 PM
I hope I am. But I don't see how. UF spent more than we did in their baseball stadium. UT is spending 95m. Money we can't (or at least, arent currently) compete with is flowing into NIL. If that's not signs baseball is becoming an arms race I don't know what is.

You said if they spend 1 m in nil that would double us.... that's where i stopped. So wrong it's not even funny.

The Federalist Engineer
06-24-2023, 08:20 PM

Inflation- a 95M stadium today is like 40M in 2018. Concrete work at my current house is almost triple my quote from Jersey for similar work. That's tripe compared to Jersey.

UFs stadium is good-ish. It's a fancy little shack compared to DNF.

the_real_MSU_is_us
06-24-2023, 10:14 PM
You said if they spend 1 m in nil that would double us.... that's where i stopped. So wrong it's not even funny.

You're saying we're spending over 500k on baseball NIL? On who? I know Stinnett amd Hunt got 50k to get them back. Where's the other 400k?

Offshore Dawg
06-25-2023, 08:26 AM

Play nice, I was on the bowling team in the 70's. lol

Ranchdawg
06-25-2023, 09:14 AM
Play nice, I was on the bowling team in the 70's. lol

Oops! Sorry I was at State also in the late 70?s

TheLostDawg
06-25-2023, 09:29 AM

Yes I don't think a lot of people realize how much having a good baseball team helps Starkville by bringing in revenue which intimately helps MSU,sports.

Homedawg
06-25-2023, 10:00 AM
You're saying we're spending over 500k on baseball NIL? On who? I know Stinnett amd Hunt got 50k to get them back. Where's the other 400k?

Last year, no. This years team will exceed that yes. By a lot. Cost of playing....

Leeshouldveflanked
06-25-2023, 01:50 PM

If Stinnett and Hung got 50K each, that was about 45K each too much.

the_real_MSU_is_us
06-25-2023, 02:07 PM
Last year, no. This years team will exceed that yes. By a lot. Cost of playing....

Ok, so let's adjust the numbers. Say State spends $750k on baseball NIL. what do you think LSUs is? My guess is it's already over 1.5M.

You can debate so3cific numbers but you can't debate the overall point I made: there are SEC programs that could dwarf our NIL if they wanted too and they seem to be investing in baseball.

And for those saying the TN and UF ballparks are worse than out and they cost a lot due to inflation, I agree on that. Ours will still be the best. BUT, my point is that they're still dripping 95M on baseball so they're committed to winning. Whether 95M buys you Trustmark Park or a shoebox is irrelevant; they're spending 95M on a baseball stadium and it would be insane to then not also invest in NIL

Homedawg
06-25-2023, 02:09 PM
If Stinnett and Hung got 50K each, that was about 45K each too much.

Who said that?? Didn't happen

Homedawg
06-25-2023, 02:10 PM
Ok, so let's adjust the numbers. Say State spends $750k on baseball NIL. what do you think LSUs is? My guess is it's already over 1.5M.

You can debate so3cific numbers but you can't debate the overall point I made: there are SEC programs that could dwarf our NIL if they wanted too and they seem to be investing in baseball.

And for those saying the TN and UF ballparks are worse than out and they cost a lot due to inflation, I agree on that. Ours will still be the best. BUT, my point is that they're still dripping 95M on baseball so they're committed to winning. Whether 95M buys you Trustmark Park or a shoebox is irrelevant; they're spending 95M on a baseball stadium and it would be insane to then not also invest in NIL
I'm done arguing w someone is just throwing crap against the wall and hoping it sticks. Yes lsu outspent is last year. They will out spend us this year, but our pot isn't near as empty as you think....

the_real_MSU_is_us
06-25-2023, 02:14 PM
Who said that?? Didn't happen

I don't came to be an insider but I've seen multiple people on this board with pretty good info say it (thing 4ish months ago). Wish I could remember the names, but they were Commerce, Todd, C34 level posters who usually bring good baseball info. I don't repeat stuff that I read from random posters unless I see a trusted name say it.

NOW, you're certainly one kf those names, so are you saying Stinnett and Hunt didn't get NIL?

The Federalist Engineer
06-25-2023, 02:26 PM

The biggest thing for transfer guys like Burns, is MLB. You want to be the school that gives you that path. LSU is killing it on that.

They really don't give as much as people think. Raising Canes probably gets zero value from this. They could just put a Chi Omega Beauty in an "LSU" shirt, get x1000 times the value.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CrTkNpqAAK2/?hl=en

the_real_MSU_is_us
06-25-2023, 04:33 PM
I'm done arguing w someone is just throwing crap against the wall and hoping it sticks. Yes lsu outspent is last year. They will out spend us this year, but our pot isn't near as empty as you think....

I don't think you're listening to me . I'm not saying were buried in NIL RIGHT NOW in baseball like we are football, I'm saying the money is starting to flow to the sport from programs with a lot more $$$ than we have. SO, in time, if the boosters at the LSU's and TN's and UFs start investing in baseball NIL I don't see how we can keep up. That's it. I'm not saying we have an "empty pot", I'm saying that pot will look empty comparatively

the_real_MSU_is_us
06-25-2023, 04:35 PM
The biggest thing for transfer guys like Burns, is MLB. You want to be the school that gives you that path. LSU is killing it on that.

They really don't give as much as people think. Raising Canes probably gets zero value from this. They could just put a Chi Omega Beauty in an "LSU" shirt, get x1000 times the value.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CrTkNpqAAK2/?hl=en

It's more about them message to LSU fans that "if you buy from us, you're supporting LSU!" than it is the literal advertisement itself influencing people. The athlete used is largely irrelevant as long as the person seeing the ad knows it's an NIL thing.

Offshore Dawg
06-25-2023, 05:27 PM
Oops! Sorry I was at State also in the late 70?s

That's OK Ranch, we old.