PDA

View Full Version : Getting Justin Parker was a Blueblood move

Todd4State
06-20-2023, 01:06 AM
No doubt about that. He's going to be a big improvement over Foxhall. And I think it's going to be quite noticeable in the near future. But MSU needs to do more than that- we need to build a better baseball lab than Wake Forest. We have the resources to do that- and the lab is already in place. We just need to find the best people to help us run it. And if I am MSU I am offering some of the people at Wake Forest jobs as soon as their season is over. Lemonis and MSU knew that biomechanics is the next thing in baseball. But we didn't have the proper people in place to make it work and when they tried to we ended up with a major disaster on the mound.

Getting Parker was a huge first step. But there is more to do.

We need to see what happens with the draft. Really the only one I would say that is completely off the table is Colin Houck. Everyone else I feel pretty good about getting. The big ones I think are Dylan Cupp, Aidan Smith, Luke Dotson, Makhai Grant, and Ethan Pulliam. Those are players that I think can challenge for innings and starting spots as freshmen. I really like Cam Schuelke who is a JUCO guy. He will be in the bullpen and I think will have an immediate impact as a reliever. Schuelke is the kind of pitcher we have been missing. He can throw from multiple crazy arm angles.

Also along with the draft we need to see if we can get some guys back for their senior year. I've heard rumblings about Cade Smith and Aaron Nixon potentially coming back based on where they are drafted. Another potential candidate may be Kellum Clark. It's too soon to know.

Then there is the portal. I'll say this- if you expect Parker to bring in a bunch of pitchers from South Carolina that's very unlikely. Actually it's not going to happen. We'll get some transfers out of the portal but I'm not expecting a massive amount. There is talent on our team already. Parker can be valuable developing guys like Loo, Loftin, and Holcombe and getting them to SEC caliber status this offseason. Then we have Nate Dohm back who is a reliable relief pitcher. That's a pretty good core group to build around. Add in some of the newcomers and some guys like Brett Auger and there is something to work with. Just needs to be developed.

Adding a third baseman and a shortstop are huge priorities as well. Do that and move Mershon back to his natural position of 2B and I suspect our infield defense will improve quite a bit as well. Big question to me is can Dylan Cupp at least give us what Amani Larry did at the plate? If he can and we find a third baseman then we're cooking with gas. We'll take Braden Montgomery if we can get him. That would be a huge addition for us.

Almost all of our guys are having good summers. Evan Siary has been dominant on the mound. Will Gibbs has been solid and Logan Forsythe has had his moments.

Highfill and Hunter Hines have been tearing up the Cape. Dakota Jordan has been hitting over .400 for his summer team. Those three are in for a big year next year I think. Connor Hujsack I think will find a spot in the lineup- it may be at DH- but if he hits like he is now we need to keep him in the lineup. Couple of question marks about the rest of the lineup but those will get answered in time.

Ranchdawg
06-20-2023, 05:26 AM
I think I heard on last nights game Wake had 20 graduate assistants working on antalytics. The head of antalytics is headed to The Toronto blue jays organization to help with their antalytics. That?s crazy to have that many people just crunching antalytics. We better be finding people in our school to be working on this or we will be getting further left behind.

Don?t get me wrong I?m not saying antalytics is the answer to all our woes but it sure has improved multiple teams this year that are truly using it. For example that Wake had a better strike ratio when their pitchers took more time between pitches.

Leeshouldveflanked
06-20-2023, 06:42 AM
If you cant throw a strike analytics are useless

Pancho
06-20-2023, 07:08 AM
That is where Parker will be needed as far as the returning arms go. I think he'll be a full 180 different approach from what Fox wanted. We have a few guys who are almost unhittable is they can just get it across the plate and cut out the HBP and BB and wild pitches

Saltydog
06-20-2023, 08:18 AM
The folks at Wake likely wouldn't leave. The woman I saw interviewed over the lab said she had been approached by major league teams yet she's still there. If she's not leaving for MLB, she's not leaving for us.

ZedFedder
06-20-2023, 08:24 AM
This is big time. Cijntje, Loftin, and Holcombe all have the stuff to be top end starters. I think Parker can get them there.

MStateDawg
06-20-2023, 08:29 AM
Parker can be valuable developing guys like Loo, Loftin

What's the word on Loftin? I know they shut him down due to injury but I've never seen anything about what the problem was or how serious it was.

trob115
06-20-2023, 11:18 AM
What's the word on Loftin? I know they shut him down due to injury but I've never seen anything about what the problem was or how serious it was.

He had bone spurs removed. He will be back pitching in august.

MStateDawg
06-20-2023, 11:27 AM
He had bone spurs removed. He will be back pitching in august.

Good deal. Thanks for the info!

Coach34
06-20-2023, 11:54 AM
Saw where Cade is expected to be drafted rounds 3-5. He's not returning

SpaceBully
06-20-2023, 12:00 PM
Yeah, but the rumors that Dakota Jordan may be following Slate to UGA would kinda of spoil the moment if it turns out true.

BuckyIsAB****
06-20-2023, 01:05 PM
None of it matters until the culture is back

Tbonewannabe
06-20-2023, 01:07 PM
Yeah, but the rumors that Dakota Jordan may be following Slate to UGA would kinda of spoil the moment if it turns out true.

Why would Dakota Jordan go over there? They have like 1,000 season tickets and don't really care of baseball.

the_real_MSU_is_us
06-20-2023, 01:32 PM
None of it matters until the culture is back

Agreed. People are acting like pitching is our only issue. We can't hit, can't field, have no leaders, the team is entitled, and getting their shit pushed in in '22 didn't light a fire under them to punch back in '23.

Making Holcombe a stud would be great, but it's kinda like plugging 1/10 holes in a sinking ship and celebrating over it

SPMT
06-20-2023, 02:08 PM
Agreed. People are acting like pitching is our only issue. We can't hit, can't field, have no leaders, the team is entitled, and getting their shit pushed in in '22 didn't light a fire under them to punch back in '23.

Making Holcombe a stud would be great, but it's kinda like plugging 1/10 holes in a sinking ship and celebrating over it

Totally agree. Culture is the main issue imo. That and talent in certain spots.

bulldogcountry1
06-20-2023, 02:38 PM
Can someone explain what a baseball lab is? Why do we have one of nobody knows how to use it?

sandjunky
06-20-2023, 04:13 PM
Why would Dakota Jordan go over there? They have like 1,000 season tickets and don't really care of baseball.

I think we as fans overvalue the fact that large crowds matter to players

Cooterpoot
06-20-2023, 04:21 PM
I'm wondering how a HC search next season is going to look. Losing DJ makes that an even bigger possibility now. I can't see keeping both the hitting and pitching coaches and hiring a HC. And what's it say when we've got this big NIL in baseball and are still not getting top talent? This program is on shaky ground. We better pull the big fish in the portal or. Can't see a path that isn't a 100% reset of the program next year.

BuckyIsAB****
06-20-2023, 06:54 PM
There is not one player on the roster that deserves to be entitled to anything

the_real_MSU_is_us
06-20-2023, 08:57 PM
Can someone explain what a baseball lab is? Why do we have one of nobody knows how to use it?

"baseball lab" = very fancy high speed cameras and software to track spin rates and biomechanics

the_real_MSU_is_us
06-20-2023, 09:03 PM
I'm wondering how a HC search next season is going to look. Losing DJ makes that an even bigger possibility now. I can't see keeping both the hitting and pitching coaches and hiring a HC. And what's it say when we've got this big NIL in baseball and are still not getting top talent? This program is on shaky ground. We better pull the big fish in the portal or. Can't see a path that isn't a 100% reset of the program next year.

Well if Parker is as good as we think he is the next HC is likely to want to keep him. We certainly pay our assistants enough that Parker would be best off staying unless he gets an HC offer.

The new HC would want to get rid of the "old guard" coaches but Parker with 1 year here may still be new enough that the new HC doesn't think he's responsible for creating this mess.

JoTro would be done though. He doesn't put up top half of the SEC numbers despite having top half of the SEC recruits and NIL money. He's been here a long time and the new HC would suspect GoTro as contributing to the bad culture.

Cheese is only here cause Lemo and honestly seems pretty mediocre at his job.

Todd4State
06-22-2023, 12:41 AM

It all hinges on the pitching staff. Now that we have our pitching coach we can be aggressive in the portal. I think there is a good chance we surprise a lot of people. Lot of work to do but I think we were so poorly coached on the mound that we're going to make a significant jump.

ZedFedder
06-22-2023, 11:55 AM
It all hinges on the pitching staff. Now that we have our pitching coach we can be aggressive in the portal. I think there is a good chance we surprise a lot of people. Lot of work to do but I think we were so poorly coached on the mound that we're going to make a significant jump.

Agreed.