PDA

View Full Version : Parker=Hired

StarkVegasSteve
06-19-2023, 08:11 AM
I do not know how the hell Lemonis pulled it off but we just hired one of the best pitching coaches in the country and pulled him from an SEC power. Kudos to Chris, I guess those daiquiris he was enjoying in Destin two weeks ago paid off.

KOdawg1
06-19-2023, 08:18 AM
HR hire

EdwardDrayton
06-19-2023, 08:19 AM
Seven year $49 million with a $32 million buyout

Cowbell
06-19-2023, 08:20 AM

Winning is all that matters

BigDawg81
06-19-2023, 08:30 AM
I do not know how the hell Lemonis pulled it off but we just hired one of the best pitching coaches in the country and pulled him from an SEC power. Kudos to Chris, I guess those daiquiris he was enjoying in Destin two weeks ago paid off.
Excellent hire

Cooterpoot
06-19-2023, 08:39 AM

You're going to be surprised. Going to be paid pretty similar to Foxy.

Captain Falcon
06-19-2023, 08:39 AM
I think we were expecting a bidding war that never happened. South Carolina?s lack of investment in baseball is puzzling to me given who their AD is.

It sounds like we found a good coach who just so happened to be in a situation where administrative support was lacking, and we made him a good offer that SC was not interested in matching. Apparently Kingston wants out, too. He is a candidate for the Miami job.

Leroy Jenkins
06-19-2023, 08:46 AM
I think we were expecting a bidding war that never happened. South Carolina?s lack of investment in baseball is puzzling to me given who their AD is.

It sounds like we found a good coach who just so happened to be in a situation where administrative support was lacking, and we made him a good offer that SC was not interested in matching.

Well if you believe the internet, they are paying two women's basketball assistants a million each. They don't have unlimited resources.

the_real_MSU_is_us
06-19-2023, 08:59 AM

Excellent news if true

You know we've been talking about how nobody would want to work for a HC likely to be fired next year, but Parkers situation at SC wasn't much different; Kingston wants out, may not take Parker with him, and even if he does Parker has no say in what school it is or how much money they're willing to pay him.

By leaving now he can at least secure a payday and his choice of school, even if the HC is on the hot seat.

I still don't like that Parker was trying g to follow Kingston to Miami over Taking our job, but I'm sure he'll put in max effort while here. His resume isn't good enough to coast on past laurels so I'm sure he's still hungry to prove himself.

I give the hire an A. Would have been an A+ if it was Muscara or if we pulled Parker earlier. Lot of Portal ground to make up

Coach34
06-19-2023, 09:01 AM
HR hire

I'll disagree there but it is a very good hire

Cooterpoot
06-19-2023, 09:02 AM
https://i.postimg.cc/sxJ6j8zX/IMG-4769.jpg

Cooterpoot
06-19-2023, 09:08 AM
Just outside a top 10 pitching staff in the country this year. Couldn't have hired a better coach IMO.

HancockCountyDog
06-19-2023, 09:10 AM
Just outside a top 10 pitching staff in the country this year. Couldn't have hired a better coach IMO.

agreed

TNDawg35
06-19-2023, 09:23 AM
Excellent news if true

You know we've been talking about how nobody would want to work for a HC likely to be fired next year, but Parkers situation at SC wasn't much different; Kingston wants out, may not take Parker with him, and even if he does Parker has no say in what school it is or how much money they're willing to pay him.

By leaving now he can at least secure a payday and his choice of school, even if the HC is on the hot seat.

I still don't like that Parker was trying g to follow Kingston to Miami over Taking our job, but I'm sure he'll put in max effort while here. His resume isn't good enough to coast on past laurels so I'm sure he's still hungry to prove himself.

I give the hire an A. Would have been an A+ if it was Muscara or if we pulled Parker earlier. Lot of Portal ground to make up

Parker and Muscara aren’t that different if you really dig deep in their past. It is also made to mention Muscara has a hell of a lot more at his disposal that Parker did. I mean just watch the bit ESPN did about the WF pitching lab. Hell that woman who was talking was dang ImPressive with her statements…

Commercecomet24
06-19-2023, 09:27 AM
Dang good hire here! Now get to work!

Cooterpoot
06-19-2023, 09:28 AM
Parker and Muscara aren’t that different if you really dig deep in their past. It is also made to mention Muscara has a hell of a lot more at his disposal that Parker did. I mean just watch the bit ESPN did about the WF pitching lab. Hell that woman who was talking was dang ImPressive with her statements…

Supposedly we're adding some help in our pitching lab. With a great biomechanics program at State, should be pretty easy to get some help.

KB21
06-19-2023, 09:35 AM
This idea that no one would be willing to work with Lemonis was very overstated. The opinion of him in the baseball community is a lot higher than the opinion of a few fans who think they know things but really don?t.

The other false narrative that will be proven wrong soon is that we don?t have any talented arms to work with.

SPMT
06-19-2023, 09:46 AM
This idea that no one would be willing to work with Lemonis was very overstated. The opinion of him in the baseball community is a lot higher than the opinion of a few fans who think they know things but really don?t.

The other false narrative that will be proven wrong soon is that we don?t have any talented arms to work with.

Hope you are right on the arms.

Leroy Jenkins
06-19-2023, 09:51 AM
https://twitter.com/gamecocksonline/status/1648402525379342339?s=46&t=DGtd-fTS2I8QetuRZ9flcA

Commercecomet24
06-19-2023, 09:52 AM

100%.

SaintDawg
06-19-2023, 09:53 AM
Dang good hire here! Now get to work!

Exactly! Now get busy!

Commercecomet24
06-19-2023, 09:56 AM
Exactly! Now get busy!

Yeah we have no time to lose! Burning daylight as my Papaw used to say.

MaroonFlounder
06-19-2023, 10:14 AM
People did not like that I was not on board with the possibility of hiring Walton. The stats were horrendous from his guys at OSU down the stretch. Justin Parker makes a helluva lot more sense. Things are lookin? up.

Lord McBuckethead
06-19-2023, 10:17 AM
Hopefully it?s not a HR hire but a 1 BB per game hire.

Commercecomet24
06-19-2023, 10:19 AM
Hopefully it?s not a HR hire but a 1 BB per game hire.

Rep Given!

ScoobaDawg
06-19-2023, 10:21 AM
Thats a great hire.... Here's to getting this crap turned around.
Come on Portal players..Come on NIL

Cowbell
06-19-2023, 10:29 AM
People did not like that I was not on board with the possibility of hiring Walton. The stats were horrendous from his guys at OSU down the stretch. Justin Parker makes a helluva lot more sense. Things are lookin? up.

Most of the fans had the same take on Walton

Johnson85
06-19-2023, 11:04 AM

I don't think anybody thought people wouldn't want to work with Lemonis. My guess is that he's great to work with and people like him. I think it was just the concern of what top pitching coach wants to come into a situation where it's reasonably likely the head coach will get fired in a year.

Seems like with him we were at least a little lucky that a highly thought of pitching coach was in an unstable situation because of the head coach wanting to leave.

MetEdDawg
06-19-2023, 11:15 AM
I have yet to see the ridiculous portion of our fan base who said Lemonis couldn't get anyone, Selmon was in over his head and didn't care about baseball, and that we would never find anyone good for this job apologize or retract those statements or give anyone credit.

Seems like this is a great hire is a pretty generic post for all the weeping and gnashing of teeth that has taken place on this board over the last month.

TrapGame
06-19-2023, 11:16 AM
This hire makes me feel like we actually give a shit again. I'm going to give Selmon some cred on this too. I bet he had a sit down with Parker assuring him that Lemonis was safe and we just needed a top notch guy like him to come in to help right the ship.

confucius say
06-19-2023, 12:28 PM

Considering our situation, HR hire.

sandjunky
06-19-2023, 12:35 PM
Based on Kendal Rogers tweet it sounds like he might have been asked to look

USC already has a PC coach hired

confucius say
06-19-2023, 12:38 PM

How'd you get from that tweet that Parker was asked to look?

the_real_MSU_is_us
06-19-2023, 12:46 PM
I have yet to see the ridiculous portion of our fan base who said Lemonis couldn't get anyone, Selmon was in over his head and didn't care about baseball, and that we would never find anyone good for this job apologize or retract those statements or give anyone credit.

Seems like this is a great hire is a pretty generic post for all the weeping and gnashing of teeth that has taken place on this board over the last month.

I'm sure I'm one of the people you're talking about. Some thoughts:

1) this hire took 49 days and there were several names floating around at different points. Its great we got a good PC but it's obvious this was no easy or smooth task for us and we had some guys turn us down.

2) We got lucky with Parkers situation... HC wants to leave, SC won't pay Parker to stay. Had Parker said no, I really think we would have had a big drop off till we got a guy to say yes.

3) ultimately the problem is Lemonis. We are mediocre offensively, bad defensively, have done far less than our peers so far in the portal, lack leadership, seem entitled etc. A good assistant is always desired but he can't save the program from a bad HC. Now give me Parker as PC and Haire or Butch as the HC and hell yes I'm excited.

I'm not ready to say our pitching-much less the team overall- is fixed. We need more SEC arms and we need the SEC arms we do have to make a big jump. Parker will improve us but how much? Got to wait and see. The real work begins now. Can Lemo add Portal talent? Can he light a fire under their asses? Can the defense and hitting improve? If yes the future is bright. If no then the Parker hire isn't a big deal in the grand scheme of the program.

Talk to me a year from now. Hopefully we're still playing and yall can dig up these comments to make fun of me. I'll gladly pay that price to see good State baseball again

the_real_MSU_is_us
06-19-2023, 12:58 PM
How'd you get from that tweet that Parker was asked to look?

I believe the logic (not saying I agree) is this:

How did SC get a new hire lined up and made in the max 24h of notice Parker would come to State?

Personally I don't think it's that crazy that Kingston would have a #1 in mind, make 1 call and the guy agrees to come, and paperwork would get drawn up quick. It's also possible Parker told him he was leaving days ago but I doubt it

TNDawg35
06-19-2023, 01:01 PM

Only State fans would try and shit all over a hire STATE made pulling a damn good coach from another baseball power…

sandjunky
06-19-2023, 01:02 PM
Only State fans would try and shit all over a hire STATE made pulling a damn good coach from another baseball power…

Not shitting on it at all

TNDawg35
06-19-2023, 01:02 PM

How did SC get a new hire lined up and made in the max 24h of notice Parker would come to State?

Personally I don't think it's that crazy that Kingston would have a #1 in mind, make 1 call and the guy agrees to come, and paperwork would get drawn up quick. It's also possible Parker told him he was leaving days ago but I doubt it

State and Parker has apparently had a couple meetings.

If your the PC at Liberty and USCe calls and offers you the job, you obviously would jump. I don’t think it would take me 24th a either. I’m sure Kingston knew and was looking once we started courting Parker. Money talks and we apparently doubled his salary…

the_real_MSU_is_us
06-19-2023, 01:04 PM
State and Parker has apparently had a couple meetings.

If your the PC at Liberty and USCe calls and offers you the job, you obviously would jump. I don’t think it would take me 24th a either. I’m sure Kingston knew and was looking once we started courting Parker. Money talks and we apparently doubled his salary…

Agreed on all points. That's why I don't really buy that narrative, I was just explaining what he meant by his comment.

EdwardDrayton
06-19-2023, 01:10 PM
Winning is all that matters

Why yes, yes it is!! LOL!!

EdwardDrayton
06-19-2023, 01:12 PM

I would very much like to be surprised. If so there must have been other factors in play with him at SC.

The Federalist Engineer
06-19-2023, 01:17 PM

You could hire the entire Yankee organization and a Cuban Coyote to bring some 100 MPH lefties from La Habana. for that ED.

Maybe divide all the numbers by 7 and years by 2. That would seem more correct.

EdwardDrayton
06-19-2023, 01:20 PM
Most of the fans had the same take on Walton

Yes. Much prefer Parker over Walton. Would not say HR hire but a very good hire. More than we expected given our circumstances.

EdwardDrayton
06-19-2023, 01:21 PM
You could hire the entire Yankee organization and a Cuban Coyote to bring some 100 MPH lefties from La Habana. for that ED.

Maybe divide all the numbers by 7 and years by 2. That would seem more correct.

Malzahn contract. Just a play on possibly having to overpay someone given our circumstances.

CaptainObvious
06-19-2023, 01:21 PM
Probably better money but I would be surprised if it is $1 mil. I am sure the difference from Columbia and Starkville weighed on both sides decision. Who needs a Target when you can order direct from QVC and Amazon. 😂

Plus we have a Columbus AND a Columbia!

EdwardDrayton
06-19-2023, 01:32 PM
Only State fans would try and shit all over a hire STATE made pulling a damn good coach from another baseball power?

A good hire but .......... baseball power?!??

ZedFedder
06-19-2023, 01:36 PM
A good hire but .......... baseball power?!??

SC is definitely a baseball power.

EdwardDrayton
06-19-2023, 01:38 PM
SC is definitely a baseball power.

I'll have to search for a path to get me there.

The Federalist Engineer
06-19-2023, 01:52 PM
This is a great hire and I feel a tremendous sense of hope.

South Carolina is a very good SEC program with 2 Modern National Titles and a National Final appearance. They just had a very good Super Regional Season. They recruit well above average. Their team plays and compete very well. They played a distinguished Super Regional series with Florida, a team that is potentially wining the Natty Cup his year.

Their AD is a championship baseball coach that would have replaced Polk had MSU not already had Pat MacMahon. Maybe he would have been the MSU AD these days and hired Dawn Staley for MSU.

Parker is considered a very good and up and coming coach. He is already coaching u-18 team USA teams. This is great news and we should be happy. I wish this was as 3 or 4 weeks ago, but USC was still playing last week.

The Federalist Engineer
06-19-2023, 02:09 PM
:cool:

https://cdispatch.com/sports/2023-06-19/breaking-mississippi-state-hires-south-carolinas-justin-parker-as-new-pitching-coach/

The Federalist Engineer
06-19-2023, 02:16 PM
Saying goodbye to USC fans

https://twitter.com/JustinDParker24/status/1670840248455118856

BigDawg81
06-19-2023, 02:23 PM

Personally I don't think it's that crazy that Kingston would have a #1 in mind, make 1 call and the guy agrees to come, and paperwork would get drawn up quick. It's also possible Parker told him he was leaving days ago but I doubt it Only State fans would do things like this. To answer this, Parker didn?t wake up one morning and say ?Let?s catch a ride on a plane to Starkville?. They have been talking for the past week at least. Parker probably kept Kingston informed. Meanwhile, Kingston didn?t wait for Parker. He looked around and identified his target and act accordingly.

confucius say
06-19-2023, 02:33 PM
Only State fans would do things like this. To answer this, Parker didn?t wake up one morning and say ?Let?s catch a ride on a plane to Starkville?. They have been talking for the past week at least. Parker probably kept Kingston informed. Meanwhile, Kingston didn?t wait for Parker. He looked around and identified his target and act accordingly.

And it's a target he already had a rship with. He looked at hiring him last time when he hired Parker.

But yes, we have a substantial amount of fans that are looking for reasons for this to not be a great thing (overpaid, too large a buyout, usce asked him to look). It's incredible.

Coach34
06-19-2023, 02:53 PM
I'll have to search for a path to get me there.

2 CWS titles- damn near won 3 in a row
4 Runner-ups
11 CWS appearances

We are

Commercecomet24
06-19-2023, 03:03 PM
4 Runner-ups
11 CWS appearances

We are

Yeah I don't know how folks can't see it. Ray Tanner had one of the elite programs in the country.

The Federalist Engineer
06-19-2023, 03:07 PM
State article about Parker (South Carolina's state paper)

https://amp.thestate.com/sports/college/university-of-south-carolina/usc-baseball/article258417203.html

confucius say
06-19-2023, 03:26 PM
Yeah I don't know how folks can't see it. Ray Tanner had one of the elite programs in the country.

I think the argument would be your use of the word "had." Not that I agree with that argument.

My knock against USCe going forward is whether or not they are willing to commit financial resources to winning. If they do, sky is the limit.

Captain Falcon
06-19-2023, 03:56 PM
4 Runner-ups
11 CWS appearances

We are

The problem with SC is that the height of their powers was 2000-2012. They were awesome under Ray Tanner and haven?t done much otherwise. Zero Omaha appearances since they had that unreal run of champ, champ, runner-up from 2010-2012.

They have been a pretty mediocre program for the last decade, definitely compared to what they were doing under Tanner. But if you posed the question 10 years ago there is no doubt that they were an ultra elite program. They frankly have turned into Texas or Tennessee football.

Saltydog
06-19-2023, 03:57 PM
Parker and Muscara aren?t that different if you really dig deep in their past. It is also made to mention Muscara has a hell of a lot more at his disposal that Parker did. I mean just watch the bit ESPN did about the WF pitching lab. Hell that woman who was talking was dang ImPressive with her statements?

She let it be know not once, not twice but three times that she had a PhD.

ZedFedder
06-19-2023, 04:31 PM
I am really intrigued to see him work with some of our guys. I specifically think KC Hunt and Cijntje could flourish.

EdwardDrayton
06-19-2023, 04:37 PM
4 Runner-ups
11 CWS appearances

We are

Wow. That certainly gets me there. Thanks for doing the homework for me Coach. Obviously I've been asleep at the wheel when it comes to SC.

EdwardDrayton
06-19-2023, 04:39 PM

Somehow it just did not get mentally logged during those years for immediate recall!! Old age I suppose!!

Martianlander
06-19-2023, 05:04 PM

Way to go coach. Glad you are back and getting under people's skin!

State82
06-19-2023, 05:24 PM

Another little tidbit of CWS trivia. South Carolina won it the last year it was played at Rosenblatt Stadium and the first year it was played at TD Ameritrade.

The Federalist Engineer
06-19-2023, 06:14 PM
Something about our new coach:

"Those closest to Parker characterize him as a “bro’s bro.” That’s not to be mistaken as soft. Parker is anything but. He’s a fiery competitor enamored with new-age philosophies that have become increasingly prevalent in baseball."

This is a big move, kids. This dude personally knows all the big prospects. It's like we maybe have the Pitching Vitello here (yes, I might be banned for saying this, especially if the nibbling resumes in February.)

BeardoMSU
06-19-2023, 06:19 PM
4 Runner-ups
11 CWS appearances

We are

Yup.

SailingDawg
06-19-2023, 07:01 PM

He lives!!!

yjnkdawg
06-19-2023, 11:17 PM

I hope you are joking on all this, because I don't see it being anywhere close to $7 million a year, and a $32 million buyout? :rolleyes: 7 year contracts aren't allowed for an employee of MS State Government. 4 years is max. But anyway I think it was a great hire.

Todd4State
06-20-2023, 12:42 AM
We just took a pitching coach from another SEC program. Complete blue blood move.

We're going to be a lot better if he improves us even marginally.

the_real_MSU_is_us
06-20-2023, 06:56 AM
Saying goodbye to USC fans

Something in those pics tells me he can 'cruit

Pancho
06-20-2023, 07:05 AM
He sure has a challenge facing him and I truly hope that he will improve the few arms we have and then also get us some new quality arms in here asap.

basedog
06-20-2023, 07:05 AM
We just took a pitching coach from another SEC program. Complete blue blood move.

We're going to be a lot better if he improves us even marginally.

Looks like a good hire and yes to Lemonis getting probably the best he can do. I think he will be pretty good, much better than Foxhall.

Pancho
06-20-2023, 07:09 AM
amen to that

Offshore Dawg
06-20-2023, 08:07 AM
Nothing like mixing FACTS in with opinions and ignorance!!

Offshore Dawg
06-20-2023, 08:08 AM
Looks like a good hire and yes to Lemonis getting probably the best he can do. I think he will be pretty good, much better than Foxhall.

Trading up is never a bad thing.

Coach34
06-20-2023, 08:17 AM
Simmons
Loo
Loftin
Holcombe

Auger
Dohm
Tapper
Siary
Forsythe

Get those arms straight and ready. Add a couple more out of the portal. We'll be fine

EdwardDrayton
06-20-2023, 08:47 AM
I hope you are joking on all this, because I don't see it being anywhere close to $7 million a year, and a $32 million buyout? :rolleyes: 7 year contracts aren't allowed for an employee of MS State Government. 4 years is max. But anyway I think it was a great hire.

Malzahn contract. It's a play on us possibly overpaying given our circumstances. But subsequently it seems there were possibly other considerations with him leaving SC.

The Federalist Engineer
06-20-2023, 09:27 AM
Simmons
Loo
Loftin
Holcombe

Auger
Dohm
Tapper
Siary
Forsythe

Get those arms straight and ready. Add a couple more out of the portal. We'll be fine

I think you need 3 to 4 experienced arms from the portal. College Teams are winners on the basis of Junior classes. There are no true juniors at MSU, all of these guys are single-year guys in major programs. Other than Dohm, that is the only non-injured guy with 2 complete seasons of experience. The Northeast and Ivy League grad transfers are proving to be very good transfers. They do not allow a 5th season. So, guys are graduating with eligibility and experience in the Northeast. Plus their parents probably don't want to pay $70G in tuition for a luxuriant easy grad year of survey courses, just to play baseball in the spring.

Cooterpoot
06-20-2023, 09:48 AM

I bet he at least shows up for camps and bullpen work lol

AlSwearengen
06-20-2023, 09:57 AM

A buddy told me that this was going around. I never thought he was a guru but I also never saw him as slacking. Can you go into this more?

confucius say
06-20-2023, 10:49 AM
A buddy told me that this was going around. I never thought he was a guru but I also never saw him as slacking. Can you go into this more?

Probably best we don't

EdwardDrayton
06-20-2023, 04:17 PM

Bet Cooter could give us a photoshop of Lemo and Foxy in beach chairs with Coronas, a Snoop wig and a Guam Cheese caption. :)