PDA

View Full Version : Who has been better than Skenes in the last several years?

Leroy Jenkins
06-17-2023, 08:26 PM
Nobody comes to mind. I can't find a single thing not to like about him. (Aside from school choice)

DownwardDawg
06-17-2023, 08:57 PM
Been awesome to watch tonight. Even though I hate LSU.

the_real_MSU_is_us
06-17-2023, 09:11 PM
He's the best I've ever seen do it.

3 elite pitches. No "off" nights for any of them. AND, he can go 120 pitches before he starts to drop off and come back a week later to do it again.

There is nothing you could hope to improve in his game. He's unhitable, unchasable, unoutlastable (yes I invented a new word roll with it).

Saltydog
06-17-2023, 09:15 PM
Nobody comes to mind. I can't find a single thing not to like about him. (Aside from school choice)

Yet they keep praising Crew saying he's the no 1 pick and compare him to Mike Trout. Yeah he's good but there is no way in hell I draft him ahead of Skenes.

thenewpm83
06-17-2023, 09:17 PM
He?s top 3-4 I?ve ever seen

State82
06-17-2023, 09:35 PM
I swear I cannot come up with anyone better. It still makes me sick he did not wear the M over S.

Skydawg1
06-17-2023, 09:36 PM
He's a big leaguer already, pretty much. Wish we coulda got him for the one year, but money talks, and they have more of it.

ZedFedder
06-17-2023, 09:38 PM
You won?t see another one like him in a long while. His talent is absurd.

Lord McBuckethead
06-17-2023, 10:08 PM
Bet he barely makes 8 mlb all star games.

Activated Alpha
06-17-2023, 10:10 PM
So we were told last year when he chose LSU over us that his results wouldn?t translate to the SEC.

We were also told that he chose LSU because he wanted to work with Wes Johnson who ended up getting fired. Did Wes really enhance his abilities in the half year he worked with him before he was canned?

Disregard this frustrated baseball post. I swear I hate watching CWS without state being a part of it

TNDawg35
06-17-2023, 10:13 PM
So we were told last year when he chose LSU over us that his results wouldn?t translate to the SEC.

We were also told that he chose LSU because he wanted to work with Wes Johnson who ended up getting fired. Did Wes really enhance his abilities in the half year he worked with him before he was canned?

Did miss something? Wes Johnson took the UGA job. He didn’t get fired…

Activated Alpha
06-17-2023, 10:16 PM
Did miss something? Wes Johnson took the UGA job. He didn?t get fired?

Didn?t they fire him after one of their pen melt downs? I swore that happened

Guess they didn?t. I swore they did, but it seems like their own improved when he became Georgia?s coach

HoopsDawg
06-17-2023, 11:14 PM
He should be pitching in the MLB before the season ends.

Skydawg1
06-17-2023, 11:40 PM

Guess they didn?t. I swore they did, but it seems like their own improved when he became Georgia?s coach

Wes Johnson is in Omaha with the LSU team. After their last out, he will be en route to Athens.

CoachT14
06-18-2023, 06:33 AM

Skenes is a more dominant pitcher this year thanks to Wes Johnson. You can moan all you want about him, but the guy is one of the best pitching coaches in the world according to everyone who matters in that world. Your personal opinion of him doesn’t change that fact.

MaroonFlounder
06-18-2023, 09:36 AM
It feels like many of our own fans have already forgotten how dominant Will Bednar was in postseason 2021.

Activated Alpha
06-18-2023, 09:38 AM
Skenes is a more dominant pitcher this year thanks to Wes Johnson. You can moan all you want about him, but the guy is one of the best pitching coaches in the world according to everyone who matters in that world. Your personal opinion of him doesn’t change that fact.

Guess you didn't read my post above that. I posted that out of frustration, but thank you for informing me of my so lowly of an opinion that is worth as much as a crapped out Ward's burger from a homeless person. Carry on with your day....dick

Barkman Turner Overdrive
06-18-2023, 10:46 AM

What? Weird-looking Wes destroyed our arms so bad in 2016 that we were using position players to pitch in 2017. It appears he has done a lot of damage to the Corndog arms this year as well.

StarkVegasSteve
06-18-2023, 11:01 AM
What? Weird-looking Wes destroyed our arms so bad in 2016 that we were using position players to pitch in 2017. It appears he has done a lot of damage to the Corndog arms this year as well.

Wes has a very controversial approach to training and how he manages the staff. Saying that, his staffs have always been near the top of the league. You take the risks 10/10 because you know what the reward is. Hell Foxhall ruined as many arms, if not more, as Wes and the results sucked.

Patrick Tibbons
06-18-2023, 11:03 AM
Several on this board claimed that weren?t worried about LSU getting Skenes because he did poorly against good competition at Air Force. Many went on to say that Gartman was actually a better pitcher.

StarkVegasSteve
06-18-2023, 11:07 AM
To the original post, the only name that comes to mind is maybe Aaron Nola in 2013.

ScoobaDawg
06-18-2023, 11:13 AM
Guess you didn't read my post above that. I posted that out of frustration, but thank you for informing me of my so lowly of an opinion that is worth as much as a crapped out Ward's burger from a homeless person. Carry on with your day....dick

You double down on your screwup. Saying Wes was fired at lsu and then get mad when when someone calls you on it.
I think you should enjoy your own sh!Tburger as you suggest. Damn dude.

Patrick Tibbons
06-18-2023, 11:15 AM
Not very alpha of him.

Really Clark?
06-18-2023, 11:45 AM

Don't be bringing Ward's into your spat...a BigOne kicks your butt!!

Saltydog
06-18-2023, 12:16 PM
Several on this board claimed that weren?t worried about LSU getting Skenes because he did poorly against good competition at Air Force. Many went on to say that Gartman was actually a better pitcher.

You are absolutely correct. I remember those post, lol. That would be some good reading on a slow, dreary, rainy day like today.

basedog
06-18-2023, 12:26 PM
Different era and two Msu pitchers I would take in today's games
Jeff Brantley, dude pitched many times twice a week and went the distance a lot in 85. Want to say he was 18-2 or so, wasn't over powerful but was as good of a competitor we will ever see at Msu.
Also Bobby Reed, in 89 I believe, very dominant. I think if he not been injured he would have had a successful major league career.

I could name several Msu pitchers going back from early 70's up till a few years ago. And yes Bednar was elite in 21.

somebodyshotmypaw
06-18-2023, 01:20 PM
It feels like many of our own fans have already forgotten how dominant Will Bednar was in postseason 2021.

Bednar was incredible, and thank God for him. His CWS run was legendary. However, for the season:

Bednar, 9-1, 3.12 ERA, 92.1 innings pitched, 72 hits, 26 walks, 139 strikeouts

Skenes, 13-2, 1.81 ERA, 114.2 innings pitched, 70 hits, 19 walks, 200 strikeouts

Leroy Jenkins
06-18-2023, 01:31 PM

Explain.

StarkVegasSteve
06-18-2023, 02:37 PM

Will was incredible for a 10 day stretch in Omaha. He was the best pitcher at any level in baseball. However, he was very up and down up until that point. Great against LSU, shelled against Arkansas, great against Auburn, shelled against OM, great against Vandy, shelled against Missouri. And honestly he was just ok in his two starts heading into Omaha. He was good against Samford and was erratic against Notre Dame.

Activated Alpha
06-18-2023, 02:43 PM
You double down on your screwup. Saying Wes was fired at lsu and then get mad when when someone calls you on it.
I think you should enjoy your own sh!Tburger as you suggest. Damn dude.

I didn?t double down. I even went back and edited to say I was wrong in the original post last night after he told me about it long before y?all even commented.

I will edit to add because I original wrote something out of anger and decided it was best not too. I never got to watch the game last night due to the wife wanting to go house shopping yesterday. I didn?t watch any of the LSU regional or super regional to even bother to notice if Wes Johnson is still coaching.

Barkman Turner Overdrive
06-18-2023, 06:31 PM
Hell Foxhall ruined as many arms, if not more, as Wes and the results sucked.

Good point

MedDawg
06-18-2023, 07:08 PM
Kevin Kopps for Arkansas who beat out Landon Sims for season ERA in 2021 was dominant. 89.2 innings, 12-1, 0.90 ERA, 131 SO to 18 walks. Of course, a reliever is not the same as a starter, but he did pitch 89 innings.