PDA

View Full Version : Would Justin Parker be a HR Hire?

confucius say
06-14-2023, 03:42 PM
It's been said he is a candidate. I think it would be a great hire all things considered

Goldendawg
06-14-2023, 03:50 PM
Tell me more about him. Justin Parker in the town adjacent to me owns the "Hometown Pizza". I am sure that he, however, would be an improvement over Foxhall, and maybe ever Lemonis!** Hail State!

The Federalist Engineer
06-14-2023, 08:20 PM
Yes, Parker would be a very good hire. I would feel back in business. Like a new start.

basedog
06-14-2023, 08:39 PM
I have no clue. But he was stayed 2 years ar Indiana and this was his second year at SC. is this for sure a done deal?

the_real_MSU_is_us
06-14-2023, 08:41 PM
It would be a great hire, especially considering our situation. Lets see what the results would br next year:

Keep our #14 defense, #10 scoring offense, and say Parker would probably improve the staff to #8 in ERA. 8 SEC teams hosted this year, so those numbers would put us in the conversation but wed probably be a 2 seed. Unless the team was hot at the end of the season, we're not going anywhere in the postseason.

Lemonis would be kept for '25.

The issue is that we're getting worse at everything. Parker may fix the pitching but like I said, our hitting has been #10 the past 2 seasons, defense was awful, the team lacks leadership, and the culture is iffy (I saw us give up some games this year, like @TN). Parker can't get us to Omaha by himself.

A mediocre pitching coach hire gets Lemo fired next year. A good PC like Parker probably keeps us in a holding pattern of respectable mediocrity for a few seasons and then we fire Lemo. OR, Lemo figures things out and we get back to State level. I hope we land Parker but can't be optimistic long term

BigDawg81
06-14-2023, 08:46 PM
The last I heard is that Parker has been offered and has the contract in hand. It would be a great hire especially in the situation that State is in.

KOdawg1
06-14-2023, 08:52 PM
He'd be a great hire but I'll believe we get him when it happens.

Cooterpoot
06-14-2023, 09:10 PM
At this point, he's a grand slam. He's a good coach. He's about to be making big bank.

confucius say
06-14-2023, 09:30 PM
The last I heard is that Parker has been offered and has the contract in hand. It would be a great hire especially in the situation that State is in.

What's the hold up, waiting to see if Kingston stays instead of going to Miami?

Cooterpoot
06-14-2023, 09:38 PM

Doesn't really want to leave SC

confucius say
06-14-2023, 09:43 PM
Doesn't really want to leave SC

Well you'd think he just stay. Either with Kingston or the new head coach.
I'll be surprised if we pull this off.

TNDawg35
06-14-2023, 09:49 PM
Well you'd think he just stay. Either with Kingston or the new head coach.
I'll be surprised if we pull this off.

I’m sure USCe could pull someone better than a PC who had been there 2 years of Kingston leaves. I’m sure Haire would be a good replacement.

Goldendawg
06-14-2023, 10:00 PM
Build It and They Will Come (The Dude, Maybe?). At this point looks like many PCs didn't see the movie.*******

Todd4State
06-15-2023, 12:20 AM

Good chance that if Kingston goes to Miami that he will keep Miami's pitching coach JD Arteaga.

Todd4State
06-15-2023, 12:23 AM
It's been said he is a candidate. I think it would be a great hire all things considered

If we hire him I would be pretty happy with it.

I don't know what our offer would be but I'm sure we could pay him significantly more than South Carolina.

TNDawg35
06-15-2023, 05:38 AM
If we hire him I would be pretty happy with it.

I don't know what our offer would be but I'm sure we could pay him significantly more than South Carolina.

I would call him and bluntly say “what would make you sign it today?”….. then give it to him…

MetEdDawg
06-15-2023, 06:51 AM
I believe SC finished second in the conference in ERA this year only behind Tennessee.

So yes, I would be a huge fan of this hire.

BigDawg81
06-15-2023, 07:24 AM
I believe if we don?t hear anything today about Parker taking the job, he is not going to be the PC. He has the contract in hand as of Tuesday night/Wednesday morning.

PGHBulldogBG
06-15-2023, 07:32 AM
I don’t really understand why he would leave SC to come here. Does he have ties to the state? It looks like he is from Indiana and played at Wright State. If Lemo could pull him that would be huge, I think it just doesn’t make sense and usually when things don’t make sense they aren’t true

TNDawg35
06-15-2023, 07:50 AM
I don’t really understand why he would leave SC to come here. Does he have ties to the state? It looks like he is from Indiana and played at Wright State. If Lemo could pull him that would be huge, I think it just doesn’t make sense and usually when things don’t make sense they aren’t true

I keep reading about him at Indiana. Don’t know if he was with Lemonis then or what. Money talks. (Assuming) $750,000 goes a lot farther here than it does in SC I would think.

confucius say
06-15-2023, 09:23 AM
I’m sure USCe could pull someone better than a PC who had been there 2 years of Kingston leaves. I’m sure Haire would be a good replacement.

I meant stay on as PC with the new head coach. Teams that are having success are more likely to keep a member of the previous regime on staff (see geautreau and Jackson)

confucius say
06-15-2023, 09:25 AM
I believe if we don?t hear anything today about Parker taking the job, he is not going to be the PC. He has the contract in hand as of Tuesday night/Wednesday morning.

I think we won't know until we know if Kingston gets the Miami job.
Which sucks, bc this has dragged on long enough.

confucius say
06-15-2023, 09:26 AM

He wouldn't if Kingston stays as HC. But if Kingston goes to Miami that's a game changer

Cooterpoot
06-15-2023, 03:31 PM
https://i.postimg.cc/9fbnFzzD/IMG-4735.png

BigDawg81
06-15-2023, 05:57 PM
Still waiting on Parker and there is any timeline

confucius say
06-15-2023, 06:03 PM
Still waiting on Parker and there is any timeline

Any?

BigDawg81
06-15-2023, 06:15 PM
Any?Sorry, there is not a timeline

Saltydog
06-15-2023, 06:31 PM

At this point a decent HS coach would be a HR hire. I swear, nobody and I mean NOBODY can screw up a coaching hire, in any sport, like we can.

confucius say
06-15-2023, 06:32 PM
Sorry, there is not a timeline

Woof

BigDawg81
06-15-2023, 07:01 PM
Woof
All in with him and it is pending on if Miami hires Kingston or not

confucius say
06-15-2023, 07:15 PM
All in with him and it is pending on if Miami hires Kingston or not

Well Miami May be 2 more weeks. Not sure we can wait that long.
He makes 200k. We should be able to go to 500k. Make it happen.

Cowbell
06-15-2023, 07:24 PM
Well Miami May be 2 more weeks. Not sure we can wait that long.
He makes 200k. We should be able to go to 500k. Make it happen.

He's probably just using us to up his pay

Coach34
06-15-2023, 07:32 PM
HR? mehhhh

Good hire? Absolutely

the_real_MSU_is_us
06-15-2023, 07:51 PM
HR? mehhhh

Good hire? Absolutely

There he is! I know you were posting in the other thread but to me you're not "back" until you're talking sports again. Glad to have you

Also fair take on Parker, but given the context (who'd want to work for Lemonis?) It would be the best we could do, thus a home run hire in that way

basedog
06-15-2023, 08:47 PM
Seems Miami has interest in Tx assistant .......

Report: Troy Tulowitzki and Miami have 'mutual interest'

Cowbell
06-15-2023, 09:45 PM
HR? mehhhh

Good hire? Absolutely

10 days in ICU and we still don't have a pitching coach!

confucius say
06-16-2023, 09:14 AM
There he is! I know you were posting in the other thread but to me you're not "back" until you're talking sports again. Glad to have you

Also fair take on Parker, but given the context (who'd want to work for Lemonis?) It would be the best we could do, thus a home run hire in that way

That's where I am. I think it would be a good hire in any situation, but It would be a HR considering where we are as a program right now.

Cooterpoot
06-16-2023, 09:58 AM
https://i.postimg.cc/q7nZN3qn/IMG-4741.jpg

If our search was a motorcycle

The Federalist Engineer
06-16-2023, 10:00 AM
Where do you guys think the Lemonis offer ranks with Parker?

(A) stay in USC with Kingston
(B) stay in USC without Kingston, see who Tanner hires - maybe he gets hired?
(C) LSU? With ascending Tigers - I have no idea
(D) MSU? With meltdown Lemonis
(E) Something else

But if Miami does not hire Kingston, then nothing happens with Parker. Also, if Miami has money to snag an SEC HC, why are they not trying to Snag Lemonis? National Champ. National coach of the year.

basedog
06-16-2023, 10:06 AM

(E) Something else

But if Miami does not hire Kingston, then nothing happens with Parker. Also, if Miami has money to snag an SEC HC, why are they not trying to Snag Lemonis? National Champ. National coach of the year.

Obviously, Parker has us way down his list, I don't see him wanting to come to StarkVegas unless he has no other choice. If he had interest he would take a big pay raise to sign.
What a freckn Mess!

Cooterpoot
06-16-2023, 10:13 AM
He's staying in SC with Kingston and a nice raise if that the option. It's not even debatable from what everyone says.
I think he stays with a raise and Monty Lee as HC.
After that, it might be us. And I just can't see us pulling him if it's not done by this weekend.

BigDawg81
06-16-2023, 10:47 AM

(E) Something else

But if Miami does not hire Kingston, then nothing happens with Parker. Also, if Miami has money to snag an SEC HC, why are they not trying to Snag Lemonis? National Champ. National coach of the year. If I was betting, I would go with A.

Saltydog
06-16-2023, 11:03 AM
Just reaffirms that we should've ponied up and fired his ass and moved on. I might try to be a little optimistic if we saw some good news coming from the portal but we're not even seeing that. Oh yeah, we got a D3 kid.

SpaceBully
06-16-2023, 11:46 AM
Just reaffirms that we should've ponied up and fired his ass and moved on. I might try to be a little optimistic if we saw some good news coming from the portal but we're not even seeing that. Oh yeah, we got a D3 kid.

The D3 kid looks to be a very good pitcher, however, as you stated, his experience is in Division 3. Will that translate to D1 and the SEC in particular? Don't know, but it does seem like a crapshoot unless there's something we don't know.

ZedFedder
06-16-2023, 11:57 AM
Just wait, guys? we are just waiting on Muscara to get done with his season!

confucius say
06-16-2023, 02:12 PM
He's staying in SC with Kingston and a nice raise if that the option. It's not even debatable from what everyone says.
I think he stays with a raise and Monty Lee as HC.
After that, it might be us. And I just can't see us pulling him if it's not done by this weekend.

Which is why we can't afford to wait out Miami and sit here for two more weeks while kids are in the portal. Put 600k on the table to him and his young wife, which triples his salary, and tell him he has 48 hours because we have to know something soon. 2 years guaranteed. Throw in exclusive use of a loft for his family for next season and an old waverly membership.
If he doesn't sign it, hire the next option and move forward.

Cooterpoot
06-16-2023, 02:18 PM
Which is why we can't afford to wait out Miami and sit here for two more weeks while kids are in the portal. Put 600k on the table to him and his young wife, which triples his salary, and tell him he has 48 hours because we have to know something soon. 2 years guaranteed. Throw in exclusive use of a loft for his family for next season and an old waverly membership.
If he doesn't sign it, hire the next option and move forward.

What next option? We've already offered it to a couple coaches and passed on one. This is our fourth guy we've been involved with. It took us 7 weeks to get to this point. At some point you look at and say Lemonis sat on his fat ass and had no plan at all. And then you look at the group of people who wanted this and you point the finger at them for being stupid.

sandjunky
06-16-2023, 02:24 PM
What next option? We've already offered it to a couple coaches and passed on one. This is our fourth guy we've been involved with. It took us 7 weeks to get to this point. At some point you look at and say Lemonis sat on his fat ass and had no plan at all. And then you look at the group of people who wanted this and you point the finger at them for being stupid.

So is Selmon our Crxxm of the AD world

Cooterpoot
06-16-2023, 02:31 PM
So is Selmon our Crxxm of the AD world

I don't blame Selmon that much. Look at the people who supported Lem. They're why he's still here as much as anything. They think that '21 outweighs the last two years.

confucius say
06-16-2023, 02:31 PM

Who knows how good he is, but we have another candidate. There are lots of solid pitching guys across the country who would love to have our job.
What you can't do is sit here for 2 more weeks waiting on Miami, then if Miami hires Kingston sit here another week waiting for USC to decide if its new coach will keep Parker.

The only leverage we have here is money. Use it and make a hire.

confucius say
06-16-2023, 02:34 PM
I don't blame Selmon that much. Look at the people who supported Lem. They're why he's still here as much as anything. They think that '21 outweighs the last two years.

If we suck again next year it's 💯 on selmon for not making the move. That's his job. He had a lot of people who want Lem gone.
I'm not saying I would have fired Lem either. But it would be on me for not doing so.

Cooterpoot
06-16-2023, 02:40 PM
Who knows how good he is, but we have another candidate. There are lots of solid pitching guys across the country who would love to have our job.
What you can't do is sit here for 2 more weeks waiting on Miami, then if Miami hires Kingston sit here another week waiting for USC to decide if its new coach will keep Parker.

I'm sure we can hire someone. A solid coach from a lesser school or division won't quiet things a lot. They also would need to bring arms because the portal will be a struggle for a no name guy.
We're about to invest in some things though. There are some positives coming. If you trust Lem to manage it all.

confucius say
06-16-2023, 03:06 PM
I'm sure we can hire someone. A solid coach from a lesser school or division won't quiet things a lot. They also would need to bring arms because the portal will be a struggle for a no name guy.
We're about to invest in some things though. There are some positives coming. If you trust Lem to manage it all.

That's what I was told. That we have gotten some substantial money for baseball the last 40 days and have some NIL money to spend on baseball.

It's probably the fan in me just getting impatient as much as anything.

Cooterpoot
06-16-2023, 03:10 PM
Again, if Parker is the guy, I believe he has l to commit this weekend. That's what's been said by some folks anyway. There won't be a better option coming either unless something changes in a big way.

BigDawg81
06-16-2023, 03:34 PM
Again, if Parker is the guy, I believe he has l to commit this weekend. That's what's been said by some folks anyway. There won't be a better option coming either unless something changes in a big way.
Apparently, he is scheduled to visit campus this weekend. If he shows up, they feel like they will be able to sign him.

AlSwearengen
06-16-2023, 03:51 PM

This is spot on and I’d hate to be Lemonis right now. The fans want a “name” coach and a “name” coach should have a little more sway with portal pitchers. There are probably countless really good coaches out there at small schools but we and Lemonis especially are painted into a corner b/c we need to attract some very good portal arms that a coach with a good reputation gives you an advantage at getting.

Todd4State
06-16-2023, 09:36 PM

Doesn't make much of a difference if he quiets things now or not. Winning is the only thing that will do that. I can tell that some of our fans are going to run down the hire no matter who it is.

Cooterpoot
06-16-2023, 09:40 PM
Doesn't make much of a difference if he quiets things now or not. Winning is the only thing that will do that. I can tell that some of our fans are going to run down the hire no matter who it is.

Nah, Parker will quiet thing down. Fans would be happy with that. They wouldn't be happy with the pitching coach from N. IL who they've never heard of. No matter if they're highly thought of or not. C34 might shitbon any hire, lol. But he's entitled to for a little while.

Todd4State
06-17-2023, 12:07 AM
Nah, Parker will quiet thing down. Fans would be happy with that. They wouldn't be happy with the pitching coach from N. IL who they've never heard of. No matter if they're highly thought of or not. C34 might shitbon any hire, lol. But he's entitled to for a little while.

I do agree that Parker would settle down things for MOST fans.

But what I'm saying is the most imperative thing is to get someone that can right the ship and get the pitching staff back on track. Whether that's a Parker or a guy from Northern Illinois. If whoever he hires can do that then MSU should be OK.

basedog
06-17-2023, 07:40 AM
I do agree that Parker would settle down things for MOST fans.

But what I'm saying is the most imperative thing is to get someone that can right the ship and get the pitching staff back on track. Whether that's a Parker or a guy from Northern Illinois. If whoever he hires can do that then MSU should be OK.

It's more iffy with Lemonis being able to handle things going forward. He has shown a team of leaders he is good, w/o leaders he has failed. Also, I'm questioning his fundamental preparation on teaching defense. We have been pretty awful not making adjustments.

sandjunky
06-17-2023, 07:51 AM
It's more iffy with Lemonis being able to handle things going forward. He has shown a team of leaders he is good, w/o leaders he has failed. Also, I'm questioning his fundamental preparation on teaching defense. We have been pretty awful not making adjustments.

I thought Gotro coached defense

Cooterpoot
06-17-2023, 09:26 AM
https://i.postimg.cc/tTrPKgzk/IMG-4746.jpg

Cowbell
06-17-2023, 10:23 AM
https://i.postimg.cc/tTrPKgzk/IMG-4746.jpg

If that's what we are working with, let's get Cannizzaro on the phone****

Leroy Jenkins
06-17-2023, 11:17 AM
I thought Gotro coached defense

He handles the infielders for sure.

basedog
06-17-2023, 11:44 AM
He handles the infielders for sure.

It all goes back to the guy in charge. Any and all HC should know or recognize issues or problems and work on those issues. The HC makes out the lineup, he can also tell his assistants to change so and so. We got somewhat better late in the season but why did it take so long, or better yet why were we so bad? Asking for a friend*

Leroy Jenkins
06-17-2023, 11:56 AM
It all goes back to the guy in charge. Any and all HC should know or recognize issues or problems and work on those issues. The HC makes out the lineup, he can also tell his assistants to change so and so. We got somewhat better late in the season but why did it take so long, or better yet why were we so bad? Asking for a friend*

Speaking of better late in the season... how many games did we lose early and mid-season because we left guys out there floundering on the mound trying to steal a few outs? Hopefully whoever the new guy is he has a better feel for timing pitching changes.
We got better at it late in the season but it was too little too late.

BuckyIsAB****
06-17-2023, 02:49 PM
Pitching coach isnt going to make the kids tough

Todd4State
06-17-2023, 03:22 PM

Mershon being injured definitely bought Forsythe more time. Otherwise I think he would have sat a lot sooner. We didn't really find an answer at third base. We tried a few different guys over there and none of them were the answer.

We made Highfill the primary catcher, moved Hancock to first, and then moved Hines to DH. That happened early on.

CaptainObvious
06-17-2023, 04:48 PM
Well???..?

HepMe
06-17-2023, 05:25 PM
It would be a great hire, especially considering our situation. Lets see what the results would br next year:

Keep our #14 defense, #10 scoring offense, and say Parker would probably improve the staff to #8 in ERA. 8 SEC teams hosted this year, so those numbers would put us in the conversation but wed probably be a 2 seed. Unless the team was hot at the end of the season, we're not going anywhere in the postseason.

Lemonis would be kept for '25.

The issue is that we're getting worse at everything. Parker may fix the pitching but like I said, our hitting has been #10 the past 2 seasons, defense was awful, the team lacks leadership, and the culture is iffy (I saw us give up some games this year, like @TN). Parker can't get us to Omaha by himself.

A mediocre pitching coach hire gets Lemo fired next year. A good PC like Parker probably keeps us in a holding pattern of respectable mediocrity for a few seasons and then we fire Lemo. OR, Lemo figures things out and we get back to State level. I hope we land Parker but can't be optimistic long term

Lot of doom and gloom here?.

HepMe
06-17-2023, 05:32 PM
JP would be an excellent hire for us. If he wants the job it is his.

Todd4State
06-17-2023, 07:06 PM
Well???..?

We'll probably know something by tomorrow or maybe Monday.

Bothrops
06-17-2023, 08:13 PM
HR? mehhhh

Good hire? Absolutely

Welcome back, Patriot.