PDA

View Full Version : Who's responsible for the branding?

Leroy Jenkins
06-14-2023, 12:45 PM
Kudos to you...

https://twitter.com/thedrillfield/status/1668978657115750412?s=46&t=DGtd-fTS2I8QetuRZ9flcA

Maroonthirteen
06-14-2023, 12:51 PM
This is why I dislike all these "throw back" uniforms and uniform for this and that. Folks take it too far and think a whole "rebranding" is being done.

By the way, there is a whole web page that details Mississippi State University's branding.

Leroy Jenkins
06-14-2023, 01:11 PM
This is why I dislike all these "throw back" uniforms and uniform for this and that. Folks take it too far and think a whole "rebranding" is being done.

By the way, there is a whole web page that details Mississippi State University's branding.

No one said anything about "rebranding". It's about having the options to buy what people want.

Santiago
06-14-2023, 01:16 PM

Whatever it takes to get that Banner Mstate off sports logos, then I am for it. I prefer the Flying M, but support all throwbacks. Our University really missed the boat when going to the Banner Mstate, instead of using combos of all the throwbacks.

But now that TX and OU are joining the league, our TV market is such that whatever we put on TV for games will quickly be identified with MSU. Much less of an effort to brand that say 20 years ago.
Mike Leach in just a couple of seasons made "STATE" ours, by wearing it for games.

Maroonthirteen
06-14-2023, 01:35 PM
No one said anything about "rebranding". It's about having the options to buy what people want.

Faulk talks about it ad naseum and is why the lemmings on 247 parrot "rebranding" every time MSU roles out a new throwback for merchandising purposes.

Maroonthirteen
06-14-2023, 01:41 PM
Our University really missed the boat when going to the Banner Mstate, instead of using combos of all the throwbacks.

Mike Leach in just a couple of seasons made "STATE" ours, by wearing it for games.

Explain how they missed the boat. MSU trots a new logo every damn football game, it seems. I've seen every logo from 1960s to present for sale in stores. Explain what boat was missed.

Mississippi State being referred to as "State" started before Mike Leach graduated from college. Hell, in the 1980s Rockey Felker wore a hat that read "State". I had a sweatshirt 40 years ago that read "State".

Leroy Jenkins
06-14-2023, 01:50 PM
Hell, in the 1980s Rockey Felker wore a hat that read "State". I had a sweatshirt 40 years ago that read "State".

...and for 39 of those years you couldn't find one to buy if you wanted one, now you can.

Santiago
06-14-2023, 02:10 PM
Explain how they missed the boat. MSU trots a new logo every damn football game, it seems. I've seen every logo from 1960s to present for sale in stores. Explain what boat was missed.

Mississippi State being referred to as "State" started before Mike Leach graduated from college. Hell, in the 1980s Rockey Felker wore a hat that read "State". I had a sweatshirt 40 years ago that read "State".

Not sure if I conveyed the comments well, or if you are just trying to hard.
- Missed the boat - by wasting these years with clip art Banner Mstate, instead of using throwbacks along with the logo we had before BannerM.
- State - I never said Mike invented the "STATE" concept. My comment was that in the days now with every game usually nationally televised, along with a coach that is known around the nation, what he wore did market us easily.
Another way to put it.... how many nationally televised games was Rocky Felker on wearing the hat? Also did fans from other conferences tune in to our games just out of fandom of Felker, as they did with Leach?
I think you knew perfectly well what I was talking about.

Jarius
06-14-2023, 02:17 PM

They missed the mark by making that ugly ass logo in your avatar the main one on a football helmet. We have the worst main logo in the conference in the opinion of about 50 thousand people who voted in an SEC Network logo poll not long ago. Our fans largely hate it, and they have been shoving it down our throat for 20 years. Genespage has had about 50 polls on it with thousands of votes and your logo always comes in last place for preference. Literally every single time. It needs to be limited to the academic side or on buildings. It looks horrible on a football helmet.

The Federalist Engineer
06-14-2023, 02:22 PM
My best ever MSU polo shirt was an interlocking "MSU" that was stolen from me. A crackhead smashed my windshield outside of a Paea Restaurant in suburban New Jersey. Awesome Paea, but my laundry bag and a pair of shoes were stolen from my car.

That shirt was so epic, Texas A&M dweebs would walk up and say "howdie" at airports and then contort their face when they realized it was an MSU logo on my glorious polo. Interlocking M-S-U on white hearing-bone pattern, like a subtle watermark. I had a white one that got a mustard stain and the maroon that got stolen.

I had a French Tennis girl approach me in Paris, "are you a coach". But so epic was this glorious shirt, that Italian people in Rome would stop and look me over, my wife thought it was rude. But I explained, "my shirt is a work of art".

Never get the same looks from M-State junk. No idea where the shirt came from, my mom sent it to me as a present.

Medium broad hearing bone pattern, shaded-white-on-white, with a white-collar. Maroon version with the same features. No pipping except on the edge of the collar.

Maroonthirteen
06-14-2023, 02:25 PM
You said.... "Mike Leach in just a couple of seasons made "STATE" ours, by wearing it for games." That's a very broad statement that could be interpreted a number of ways.

As far as branding Mississippi State has always been "State" in the SEC region. State was and still is Michigan St in B10. State is NCState in the triangle. Pre and post Mike leach and those generic sweatshirts.

Maroonthirteen
06-14-2023, 02:31 PM
They missed the mark by making that ugly ass logo in your avatar the main one on a football helmet. We have the worst main logo in the conference in the opinion of about 50 thousand people who voted in an SEC Network logo poll not long ago. Our fans largely hate it, and they have been shoving it down our throat for 20 years. Genespage has had about 50 polls on it with thousands of votes and your logo always comes in last place for preference. Literally every single time.

It's no secret, Internet State fans hate their own logo. That's for sure. Yet I see the MState logo worn by people every where I go.

Also I'm sure it comes in last on conference wide polls. As State has the smallest fan base in the sec.

Jarius
06-14-2023, 02:34 PM
It's no secret, Internet State fans hate their own logo. That's for sure. Yet I see the MState logo worn by people every where I go.

Also I'm sure it comes in last on conference wide polls. As State has the smallest fan base in the sec.

You see it everywhere you go because it's largely all that has been available for purchase for 20 years. State does not have the smallest fanbase in the SEC. The logo sucks ass.

DownwardDawg
06-14-2023, 02:42 PM

We were referred to as State for years. Then it went away. Many of us promoted that we should be State. Leach did a great job of bringing it back.

viverlibre
06-14-2023, 02:45 PM
You see it everywhere you go because it's largely all that has been available for purchase for 20 years. State does not have the smallest fanbase in the SEC. The logo sucks ass.

Vandy is the smallest by a good margin, then us or Ole Miss or possibly Missouri?

BTW is Delta State a feeder school for OM fans? I know several DSU alums they act like they each have 5 PhDs from OM.

State82
06-14-2023, 02:55 PM
Many of us promoted that we should be State. Leach did a great job of bringing it back.

Been saying this for years.

Goldendawg
06-14-2023, 03:42 PM
Have hated MState logo since day 1. I am a '77 State grad and my son is now a '23 grad. I have asked before when asked where you went to college, graduated from college, or which college sports team you support, how many people have ever replied, "MState"? OM had the red "M" before us and we are Johnny Come Lately and put a State ribbon across it and force it down our fans' throats. Another example of why so many people in the sports world mix the two schools up. When people ask me where I went to school, grad of, or support, I always reply State or Mississippi State! Bring back MSU! Hail Yeah!

confucius say
06-14-2023, 03:49 PM
We should embrace "State" to the nth degree.
It's not complicated really.
Plus it's one syllable. Easy to say.

Goldendawg
06-14-2023, 03:57 PM
We should embrace "State" to the nth degree.
It's not complicated really.
Plus it's one syllable. Easy to say.

And feature the interlocking MSU again which stands for Mississippi State University! I always heard Richard Williams first drew the "MState" logo on a napkin in a restaurant. Maybe an urban legend. Always MS for baseball, MAYBE MState for basketball, and MSU for football.

Leroy Jenkins
06-14-2023, 04:00 PM
Banner M looks good on a letterhead, but not on an athletic apparel.

schddog72
06-14-2023, 05:39 PM
Have hated MState logo since day 1. I am a '77 State grad and my son is now a '23 grad. I have asked before when asked where you went to college, graduated from college, or which college sports team you support, how many people have ever replied, "MState"? OM had the red "M" before us and we are Johnny Come Lately and put a State ribbon across it and force it down our fans' throats. Another example of why so many people in the sports world mix the two schools up. When people ask me where I went to school, grad of, or support, I always reply State or Mississippi State! Bring back MSU! Hail Yeah!

You've taken flogging a dead horse to a new level. Guys like you elevate it to a new life form. To quote Sly Stallone in "First Blood": "LET IT GO!!"

Goldendawg
06-14-2023, 05:49 PM
You've taken flogging a dead horse to a new level. Guys like you elevate it to a new life form. To quote Sly Stallone in "First Blood": "LET IT GO!!"

Guess you graduated from "MState".*****. To each his own.

KOdawg1
06-14-2023, 06:03 PM
The banner sucks.

I'm cool with script, interlocking, MoverS, or quite literally anything else.

The whole "branding" excuse is BS. Locally, we're known as state. Regionally, we're known as state. Who gives a 17 what were known as nationally. Most people can't tell the difference between us and Ole Miss anyway. Who cares what they think?

The fans want it. It looks better. Make it happen.

Maroonthirteen
06-14-2023, 06:32 PM
Regardless of the legends of napkins and etc that attempts to discredit the MState logo, the best AD that State has employed, Greg Byrne, consulted with a national firm and University officials and created the branding that Mississippi State uses today. They thought of enough of the original MState logo that it was edited but is the university logo. They came up with a number of logos and options durinf that branding. It is interesting that none of the branding designs included a diagonal msu.

As for the passive argument of what OleMiss used or uses....OM has used a "script" logo for years now. Also the baseball "script" &tate, was first used by Michigan State basketball in the 70s and used again on their football helmet in 2021 to currently.

schddog72
06-14-2023, 06:40 PM

Yes, I most certainly did, 1972. And I'll add one more comment: Having lived outside Mississippi since I graduated, that banner M logo has gotten me more "Hail State"'s than anything else I've ever worn. Now that we're finally recognized, why go backwards again towards something that might not be easily recognizable?

msudawg1200
06-14-2023, 07:58 PM
Also the baseball "script" &tate, was first used by Michigan State basketball in the 70s

We actually started using the script State in baseball in 1959, well before Michigan State basketball

KOdawg1
06-14-2023, 08:04 PM
We actually started using the script State in baseball in 1959, well before Michigan State basketball

Yeah but still

RisperDawg
06-14-2023, 08:55 PM
My best ever MSU polo shirt was an interlocking "MSU" that was stolen from me. A crackhead smashed my windshield outside of a Paea Restaurant in suburban New Jersey. Awesome Paea, but my laundry bag and a pair of shoes were stolen from my car.

That shirt was so epic, Texas A&M dweebs would walk up and say "howdie" at airports and then contort their face when they realized it was an MSU logo on my glorious polo. Interlocking M-S-U on white hearing-bone pattern, like a subtle watermark. I had a white one that got a mustard stain and the maroon that got stolen.

I had a French Tennis girl approach me in Paris, "are you a coach". But so epic was this glorious shirt, that Italian people in Rome would stop and look me over, my wife thought it was rude. But I explained, "my shirt is a work of art".

Never get the same looks from M-State junk. No idea where the shirt came from, my mom sent it to me as a present.

Medium broad hearing bone pattern, shaded-white-on-white, with a white-collar. Maroon version with the same features. No pipping except on the edge of the collar.

Nice. Impressive. Let's see Paul Allen's M-over-S.

msu15
06-14-2023, 08:56 PM
Yes, I most certainly did, 1972. And I'll add one more comment: Having lived outside Mississippi since I graduated, that banner M logo has gotten me more "Hail State"'s than anything else I've ever worn. Now that we're finally recognized, why go backwards again towards something that might not be easily recognizable?

Not for me. I've never once been approached by a rival fan as calling us "M-State" or "Mississippi State", it's always been "State" or "MSU". You're in the minority brother and will be losing your awful banner for good in the near future.

parabrave
06-14-2023, 09:05 PM

Back in the late 60's and early70's the window sticker/decals that I remember seeing was MISS STATE.

From the 1970 Reville

https://ia600304.us.archive.org/BookReader/BookReaderImages.php?zip=/25/items/reveille641969miss/reveille641969miss_jp2.zip&file=reveille641969miss_jp2/reveille641969miss_0049.jp2&id=reveille641969miss&scale=4&rotate=0

Goldendawg
06-14-2023, 09:50 PM
Back in the late 60's and early70's the window sticker/decals that I remember seeing was MISS STATE.

From the 1970 Reville

https://ia600304.us.archive.org/BookReader/BookReaderImages.php?zip=/25/items/reveille641969miss/reveille641969miss_jp2.zip&file=reveille641969miss_jp2/reveille641969miss_0049.jp2&id=reveille641969miss&scale=4&rotate=0

You Sir, have a very keen eye to have spotted the MISS STATE decal on the back of a VW among the pictures of all those beautiful MSU/State coeds in those years! Hail State, Indeed!

Lord McBuckethead
06-14-2023, 10:05 PM
Bingo.

redstickdawg
06-14-2023, 10:06 PM
You're in the minority brother and will be losing your awful banner for good in the near future.

that would be great news

parabrave
06-14-2023, 11:15 PM
You Sir, have a very keen eye to have spotted the MISS STATE decal on the back of a VW among the pictures of all those beautiful MSU/State coeds in those years! Hail State, Indeed!

I remember seeing that Bug or one like it on the Coast back in the early 70's and it always has stuck with me. All the State students, fans had that decal in the back window.

gtowndawg
06-15-2023, 09:28 AM
I like the banner M. Works great in a variety of applications (not all) plus it's a well-established brand at this point. I can spot the banner M on the back of a car a mile away. It's also great for social media profile specs which is a big consideration for modern branding (I have this talk quite often with marketing clients).

edited: meant to say I do agree with pushing "State" for certain applications as well. I love the script State helmets as an example.

KOdawg1
06-15-2023, 09:47 AM
I like the banner M. Works great in a variety of applications (not all) plus it's a well-established brand at this point. I can spot the banner M on the back of a car a mile away. It's also great for social media profile specs which is a big consideration for modern branding (I have this talk quite often with marketing clients).

edited: meant to say I do agree with pushing "State" for certain applications as well. I love the script State helmets as an example.
I think from a branding and university logo perspective, it's fine. Even though the A isn't centered, it's an okay looking official logo.

It looks like ass on a football helmet, football field, or any other athletic uniform though. Keep it on the water tower and university flyers and let athletics have their own set of logos that don't look like upside down, maroon butterflies

Maroonthirteen
06-15-2023, 10:27 AM
I think from a branding and university logo perspective, it's fine. Even though the A isn't centered

Here is the personal website of your buddy that came up with that observation about the MState logo that you repeat over and over.

http://http://graysonweir.com (http://graysonweir.com)

KOdawg1
06-15-2023, 10:29 AM
Here is the personal website of your buddy that came up with that observation about the MState logo that you repeat over and over.

http://http://graysonweir.com (http://graysonweir.com)

My buddy? I don't know what the hell you're talking about?