PDA

View Full Version : Looking at Sandjunky's PG ratings in another thread got me to thinking.

Mjoelner34
06-13-2023, 05:44 PM
What is everybody's sports background on here? What did you play, and how good were you? (be honest). If you played more than one position in a sport, just list your best one.

Here are mine.

Baseball: 1st Base. Was well above average with my glove. One error in 4 years of high school and the summers in between and it was a throwing error. Got all-star every now and then and it definitely wasn't because of my presence at the plate. Never got caught stealing. Not because I was fast but because I could read pitchers like a book. Well below average with a bat. The highest I ever hit was .250 my senior year. Played adult league baseball in the AAA league (against some former major leaguers) in San Diego when I was 38/39. Was just ok with the glove but nothing special. There was a noticeable slow-down in my reflexes with the glove. A little better with the bat than high school but nothing to write home about.

Basketball: Guard. At 5'10", I could dunk a volleyball with ease. Couldn't palm a basketball. Could shoot lights out from the left elbow and pass like Larry Bird. Couldn't hit free throws and could barely walk and dribble at the same time. Not tall enough to play forward and couldn't handle the ball well enough to play guard so that didn't last long. At MSU, I actually got called for goal tending in McCarthy Gym one time. It wasn't goal tending though.

Football: DE. I weighed 125lbs soaking wet and if the play wasn't run directly at me, I was hell on wheels. When the TE fired off, I'd push him down in the back of his head and forearm him in the back with my other arm and I'd be in the backfield. But, 125lbs isn't going to get you far no matter how much heart you have. You still have to have some mass in the ass to play certain positions. My football career didn't last long.

Golf: I used to could knock a flat spot in a golf ball. If I screwed up a shot in the fairway, it didn't matter. I'd make up for it on my next shot. On days where I'd hit the green in regulation, I'd 4 putt. On days where it took me 7 shots to get on the green, I'd be sinking 70 foot putts. Never could make the long game and short game work at the same time. But, there were more days than I can remember where neither game worked.

Rugby: #5 Right Lock. Since my football career didn't last long at 125lbs, I decided to play rugby at MSU when I was 30. By then I was 6', 195lbs. They told me I was too slow to be a back and not heavy enough to be a 'fat boy' but they said 'We need more fat boys' so there I was in the scrum with electrical tape wrapped around my head. Wasn't good. Wasn't bad. I did get into shape though. We'd run 2 miles before practice, practice for an hour or two then run sprints and do pushups after practice.

KOdawg1
06-13-2023, 07:42 PM
Baseball: SS/2B. Pretty good defender. Mediocre arm. Pretty good speed. Decent, not great with the bat. Take what you think an average high school baseball player is and elevate it one notch.

Basketball: I'm 6'2, but I never played beyond church league stuff as a kid.

Football: WR/S. We didn't throw the ball a lot, so I did a lot of run blocking. I actually didn't enjoy football, but it was just something I did.

Cross Country/Track: Probably what I did best. Loved it because you compete against yourself just as much as someone else. Also allowed me to eat whatever the hell I wanted because you burn it off and then some everyday lol.

Lord McBuckethead
06-13-2023, 08:09 PM
Baseball, played SS, 3B, Catcher, Pitcher. Mostly moved from 3rd to Pitcher. Series of injuries ended my career early in life, but I pitched at my best mid 80s and had really good control for the most part. 3rd base I could defend and make every throw, no problem. Sometimes I wonder what could have been if ankle issues didn?t sidelined me for around 3 years. I was a better hitter for average than power, but unfortunately I never got a competitive opportunity to play as a fully grown person due to injuries and missing opportunities.

Football, played my entire life, depends on which team I was on I would play either Center or RB/FB. Never particularly good due to size, but I was severely undersized as a OL, but I always held my own as a second string guy. Played at a 5A high school back when 5A was the highest level. Got my assed whipped every single day by grown men. Still kept my position.

Bowling - given my skill set this was probably my best game. Still average around 240.

Basketball, loved the game and I could defend and shoot, but ankles.

MagicDawg
06-13-2023, 08:17 PM
Hah! I played rec-league soccer in Brandon for maybe 5 seasons, mostly halfback, and we went to the state tournament and came in 3rd.

In high school and college sports, I played trumpet!

CaptainObvious
06-13-2023, 08:32 PM
Sports Wagering in High School. I gave an Ole Miss guy 30 points in a game Tennessee won 31-0.

Leeshouldveflanked
06-13-2023, 08:36 PM
Football 5?11? 156 lb Center Team Co Captain Senior year. I had to work 40+ hours week during High School when I turned 15, so I didn?t play much else. During Football Season, I would clock in and work 4 or so hours after practice then work 7am-9pm Saturdays and 7-5 Sundays.

BrunswickDawg
06-13-2023, 08:48 PM
Baseball: All-Star Catcher from age 6 until HS; 2B most of HS; moved to SS SR year. Lead off hitter, .300 avg, .500 OBP. Gap hitter with little power. Led team in BB, HBP, SB playing in toughest region in GA. Won team leadership award. Had JUCO and D2 offers - decided I was done and went to MSU instead.

parabrave
06-13-2023, 08:57 PM
Football 3 years DT, OT, special teams. 5 11 170. All conference and MVP Defense senior year.I went to a small Catholic School in Biloxi, Notre Dame, and back then we played conferences in football and Basketball. So as a senior dam near played every play and only came out when we got hurt. I can still see Reggie Collier running for a 50 yard TD with a busted collarbone. And yes back in the 70's we were in way better shape than kids have been for the last 25 years.

BigDawg81
06-13-2023, 09:03 PM
What is everybody's sports background on here? What did you play, and how good were you? (be honest). If you played more than one position in a sport, just list your best one.

Here are mine.

Baseball: 1st Base. Was well above average with my glove. One error in 4 years of high school and the summers in between and it was a throwing error. Got all-star every now and then and it definitely wasn't because of my presence at the plate. Never got caught stealing. Not because I was fast but because I could read pitchers like a book. Well below average with a bat. The highest I ever hit was .250 my senior year. Played adult league baseball in the AAA league (against some former major leaguers) in San Diego when I was 38/39. Was just ok with the glove but nothing special. There was a noticeable slow-down in my reflexes with the glove. A little better with the bat than high school but nothing to write home about.

Basketball: Guard. At 5'10", I could dunk a volleyball with ease. Couldn't palm a basketball. Could shoot lights out from the left elbow and pass like Larry Bird. Couldn't hit free throws and could barely walk and dribble at the same time. Not tall enough to play forward and couldn't handle the ball well enough to play guard so that didn't last long. At MSU, I actually got called for goal tending in McCarthy Gym one time. It wasn't goal tending though.

Football: DE. I weighed 125lbs soaking wet and if the play wasn't run directly at me, I was hell on wheels. When the TE fired off, I'd push him down in the back of his head and forearm him in the back with my other arm and I'd be in the backfield. But, 125lbs isn't going to get you far no matter how much heart you have. You still have to have some mass in the ass to play certain positions. My football career didn't last long.

Golf: I used to could knock a flat spot in a golf ball. If I screwed up a shot in the fairway, it didn't matter. I'd make up for it on my next shot. On days where I'd hit the green in regulation, I'd 4 putt. On days where it took me 7 shots to get on the green, I'd be sinking 70 foot putts. Never could make the long game and short game work at the same time. But, there were more days than I can remember where neither game worked.

Rugby: #5 Right Lock. Since my football career didn't last long at 125lbs, I decided to play rugby at MSU when I was 30. By then I was 6', 195lbs. They told me I was too slow to be a back and not heavy enough to be a 'fat boy' but they said 'We need more fat boys' so there I was in the scrum with electrical tape wrapped around my head. Wasn't good. Wasn't bad. I did get into shape though. We'd run 2 miles before practice, practice for an hour or two then run sprints and do pushups after practice.
Football: WR/CB decent hand and good tackler
Basketball: Slightly above average guard that didn?t do anything great but was good all the way around
Baseball: Outfield that had a great arm and defended well. Average hitter without power

sandjunky
06-13-2023, 09:15 PM
Baseball - MIF/3B - hit 1/2 hole from LL through HS and learned about about the cold business of the sport during winter break of freshman year - oldest of 4 in a poor family so couldn?t afford to go to an out of district juco - finished associate and xfered to state to finish undergrad working a semester and going to school a semester - I?d of been a PG7.5

Basketball - 3 years in HS - 2 guard on offense and but played the SF on defense in our zone

Football - played my senior year - K/P - would?ve played from JH up but wasn?t allowed to play football until then and everyone else started in peewee and by then I was really good at soccer so I played until U16

SaintDawg
06-13-2023, 09:19 PM
Baseball: Mostly catcher and some 1B ‘til I graduated HS. Good hitter, but no HR. Played 1B on my Navy command softball team 4 years. Hit 1 HR then. The Navy softball was pretty damn organized and competitive. We traveled and played other commands. Good times.

Cooterpoot
06-13-2023, 09:24 PM
Baseball: Highest avg on the team Sr year. OF
Football: DB/WR/DE and pretty worthless except as a missile on KO. Damn near died on the field when a former All Pro grounded the missile. Still can't rev up the microwave around me.
Tennis: Stud mother17er . Turned down several offers at small colleges (D2/1AA). Agassi hair.
Track: Meh (2 seasons) A 4.65 don't get you far and my dick was too big for hurdles
Poonwrangling: Superstar
Full academic ride for 3 years before the parties and poon cut that.

99jc
06-13-2023, 10:34 PM
Baseball got invited to Cinn reds tryout when i was 17. Pitcher topped out at 97 had a wicked slider sometimes control problems. played aa ball for a short time before i knocked up a girl and got married, had 3 family members play major league baseball.
Football got offered a scholly to the dawgs as a DE 6' 3" 225 but my love was baseball.
basketball could dunk but have no game i sucked offensively.

basedog
06-14-2023, 07:59 AM
I have to LOL.

TrapGame
06-14-2023, 09:38 AM
Baseball: Little League up to Jr. High. Mostly outfield, usually right field. Played b/c my Dad played all through HS and pitched in the State championship.

Basketball: Gym class show out, played one year on Jr. High team. Hit the hardwood one too many times and said **** this.

msu15
06-14-2023, 10:53 AM
All three sports in high school

Basketball: As of 2007, and probably forever, I'm the last white boy to ever make the Meridian High basketball team. Made the team sophomore year but only saw time during our JV games. At the end of they year Coach Randy Bolden and I had a great conversation(probably the first real adult one I had) that if I didn't grow anymore(6 foot), I would have to really change my body around and become a guard if I wanted to ever really see time as I was the best shooter on the team but had always been a post player. We agreed that I should just stick with football and baseball.

Baseball: 2 year starter in LF. I was ok, usually hit between 5th and 7th in the lineup. Does anyone remember Nick Johnson, first baseman for a few years for the Nationals? That was basically my style in the box. From an early age I developed a good eye and strike zone discipline, but I was a line drive hitter and really had to get a hold of one if I wanted to hit it out. Didn't have a strong arm but I was accurate and hit the shortstop cutting of routinely right where his glove was.

Football: While I was on that 2008 team that finally beat Panola for the championship I was not a starter. I was the left tackle my senior year when Coach Hughes son at Oak Grove beat us in South State at their place.

Also won a national championship as youth in bowling in doubles. Still bowl as an adult and have won some decent money and state championships for a weekend hobby.