PDA

View Full Version : Here comes the decommits

BigDawg81
06-13-2023, 12:28 PM
https://twitter.com/robbiefaulk247/status/1668667874519527435

Cooterpoot
06-13-2023, 12:30 PM
We're cleaning up the class and making room for transfers. Going to be a few kids cut loose.

Cowbell
06-13-2023, 12:35 PM
We're cleaning up the class and making room for transfers. Going to be a few kids cut loose.

I'm at the point where I'm gonna need to see to believe

BigDawg81
06-13-2023, 12:37 PM
We're cleaning up the class and making room for transfers. Going to be a few kids cut loose. He?s a 9.5 according to Perfect Game which is the 2nd highest ranking. If he was 9 maybe. State has only 1 transfer in the boat and it?s a D2 guy.

Cooterpoot
06-13-2023, 12:37 PM

Well, prepare yourself then. I'm not saying it's pitchers. But the portal is about to pick up soon. Still a month of open season left.

Cooterpoot
06-13-2023, 12:38 PM
He?s a 9.5 according to Perfect Game which is the 2nd highest ranking. If he was 9 maybe. State has only 1 transfer in the boat and it?s a D2 guy.

Perfect game is horse hockey. People live in a fantasy world if they believe PG is fact more than fiction.

BigDawg81
06-13-2023, 12:43 PM
I'm at the point where I'm gonna need to see to believesame

BigDawg81
06-13-2023, 12:45 PM
Perfect game is horse hockey. People live in a fantasy world if they believe PG is fact more than fiction.
I?m sure PG is similar to the football recruiting sites. They miss some but get more right than wrong.

Cooterpoot
06-13-2023, 12:55 PM
I?m sure PG is similar to the football recruiting sites. They miss some but get more right than wrong.

Let me put to you this way. I can make a call and get a kid ranked on multiple services. I can get an article written on them that will make you believe they're the next great hitter. And others can do similar. We can all know who's legit by the MLB draft projections (higher picks). After that, a lot of stuff is fluff with fact. Top travel coaches carry some swing in some ratings.

Homedawg
06-13-2023, 01:01 PM
https://twitter.com/robbiefaulk247/status/1668667874519527435

Here comes the processing.....FIFY

Homedawg
06-13-2023, 01:02 PM

He's right. He was never gonna play here

Homedawg
06-13-2023, 01:03 PM

You won't find a place worth anything that has him in the top 10 in the state

sandjunky
06-13-2023, 01:03 PM

So the PG 9 I watched this weekend that sat 90-92 topping at 93 this weekend is horse hockey

Btw, the kid is 14 yr 9 months old

KOdawg1
06-13-2023, 01:11 PM
We need to trim the fat.

If we want to turn this around next year, we need spots available for transfers. We have too many in this class as it is

Pinto
06-13-2023, 01:17 PM
Living and subsequently dying by PG is what has got us to our current situation. We didn?t do our own evaluations and put in our work. As other posters and coaches of PG teams have said, PG is a for profit business - not a college recruiting service or matrix.

So the PG 9 I watched this weekend that sat 90-92 topping at 93 this weekend is horse hockey

Btw, the kid is 14 yr 9 months old

the_real_MSU_is_us
06-13-2023, 01:34 PM
Regardless of if this kid is a take or not

... Lemonis recruited him. And now (best case) lemonis realized he's not good and is pushing him out. It's definitely not ideal to have your coaching staff waste time on players. But maybe this is a Fox kid.

Whether the kid is good or not, shouldn't the new pitching coach get a chance to look at him and decide?

Cowbell
06-13-2023, 01:46 PM
He's right. He was never gonna play here

I'm not disagreeing. But I'm going to hold my excitement. Probably until SEC play starts next spring

parabrave
06-13-2023, 02:59 PM
Excuse my ignorance but what is PG?>? And Selmon if we can get a OCC BB game in Atlanta can we get one in Biloxi?

Offshore Dawg
06-13-2023, 03:05 PM
Perfect game, I think !

The Federalist Engineer
06-13-2023, 04:25 PM
PG and performance....

Justin Foscue not rated, then rated an "8" which means not a D1 player. Then becomes a 1st round pick.

Konnor Pilkington rated an "8" as a pitcher. Then is a Freshman to Junior super contributor. Pilk was good from day-1 to his last MSU pitches in Omaha.

Jake Mangum, not rated. Then becomes a generational legend for MSU.

I think the issue is the quality of the scouting, Nelle Cohen and Butch were very good at scouting, Scott Berry good. They even picked from the "high follow" category to get Payton Plumlee, Spencer Price, and Marshall Gilbert. Guys that ultimately pitched and/or played in Super Regionals and Omaha. Price was even a Pre-Season All American before injury.

This said, LSU and Vandy are consistently excellent on-the-field and their recruits are highly rated in PG. When was the last time Vandy missed Hoover?

sandjunky
06-13-2023, 04:40 PM
PG and performance....

Justin Foscue not rated, then rated an "8" which means not a D1 player. Then becomes a 1st round pick.

Konnor Pilkington rated an "8" as a pitcher. Then is a Freshman to Junior super contributor. Pilk was good from day-1 to his last MSU pitches in Omaha.

I think the issue is the quality of the scouting, Nelle Cohen and Butch were very good at scouting, Scott Berry good. They even picked from the "high follow" category to get Payton Plumlee, Spencer Price, and Marshall Gilbert. Guys that ultimately pitched and/or played in Super Regionals and Omaha. Price was even a Pre-Season All American before injury.

This said, LSU and Vandy are consistently excellent on-the-field and their recruits are highly rated in PG. When was the last time Vandy missed Hoover?

Perfect Game Player Rating System
Potential very high draft pick and/or Elite level college prospect
Potential top 10 round pick and/or highest level college prospect
Potential draft pick and/or excellent college prospect
College prospect, possible future draft pick with development
Potential college prospect
Possible College prospect and/or possible HS varsity
HS JV
Possible HS JV
No prospect at this time
The game is too dangerous

parabrave
06-13-2023, 05:27 PM
How would you rate Billy Beane??

Ezsoil
06-13-2023, 09:06 PM
This said, LSU and Vandy are consistently excellent on-the-field and their recruits are highly rated in PG. When was the last time Vandy missed Hoover?[/QUOTE]

Both of those school have huge scholarship advantages that MSU does not have

Todd4State
06-14-2023, 12:45 AM
PG and performance....

PG is a "service". Others have basically said what I would tell anyone about their rankings. It's more about how much you pay and whether you go to their showcases or not.

The best use for PG is they have our commitment list on the website.

As far as evaluating players the most accurate site is MLB.com but their list only stops at the top 200 players and that includes a lot of college players. But if you do see our recruits on there it does give you a good idea of who our top players are. I don't think Baseball America's list is as accurate as MLB.com but they do give a longer list which will give you at least an idea of the next tier of signees are.

So for this year our top guys would be Houck (not coming to school), Cupp, and Aiden Smith and probably Luke Dotson and Nolan Stevens when their next ranking comes out. Then you have guys like Makhai Grant and Ethan Pulliam that are probably in the next group.

That's not to say a guy like Jackson McKenzie isn't a quality recruit. For the other recruits like him you can usually find videos of them on youtube and then you can kind of make an opinion based on that.

But if people are expecting PG to be like 247 sports or On3 as far as having a recruiting database and that kind of thing are going to be disappointed because they're two very different types of services/businesses. PG is catered more to the players and getting them exposure and the others are catered more to football fans.

Todd4State
06-14-2023, 12:47 AM
Perfect Game Player Rating System
Potential very high draft pick and/or Elite level college prospect
Potential top 10 round pick and/or highest level college prospect
Potential draft pick and/or excellent college prospect
College prospect, possible future draft pick with development
Potential college prospect
Possible College prospect and/or possible HS varsity
HS JV
Possible HS JV
No prospect at this time
The game is too dangerous

So basically if you are in high school and a normal kid you're at least a 4.

The Federalist Engineer
06-14-2023, 07:12 AM
PG is a "service". Others have basically said what I would tell anyone about their rankings. It's more about how much you pay and whether you go to their showcases or not.

The best use for PG is they have our commitment list on the website.

As far as evaluating players the most accurate site is MLB.com but their list only stops at the top 200 players and that includes a lot of college players. But if you do see our recruits on there it does give you a good idea of who our top players are. I don't think Baseball America's list is as accurate as MLB.com but they do give a longer list which will give you at least an idea of the next tier of signees are.

So for this year our top guys would be Houck (not coming to school), Cupp, and Aiden Smith and probably Luke Dotson and Nolan Stevens when their next ranking comes out. Then you have guys like Makhai Grant and Ethan Pulliam that are probably in the next group.

That's not to say a guy like Jackson McKenzie isn't a quality recruit. For the other recruits like him you can usually find videos of them on youtube and then you can kind of make an opinion based on that.

But if people are expecting PG to be like 247 sports or On3 as far as having a recruiting database and that kind of thing are going to be disappointed because they're two very different types of services/businesses. PG is catered more to the players and getting them exposure and the others are catered more to football fans.

For MSU, the MLB 200 has generally not been great for performance prediction for recruiting. Jackson Fristoe was Top-200. Same with Eric Cerantola and Andrew Walling. All players that ultimately had forgettable MSU careers. MSU has put guys into the top-200 as roster players, that is totally different.

TNDawg35
06-14-2023, 07:23 AM
For MSU, the MLB 200 has generally not been great for performance prediction for recruiting. Jackson Fristoe was Top-200. Same with Eric Cerantola and Andrew Walling. All players that ultimately had forgettable MSU careers. MSU has put guys into the top-200 as roster players, that is totally different.

All 3 had Foxhall as a pitching coach… I always said I wish I could see what they would do with a diff coach. Anyone know how they are doing In the minors? I though I saw where Walling was a lot better. (I may be wrong)

The Federalist Engineer
06-14-2023, 08:02 AM
All 3 had Foxhall as a pitching coach… I always said I wish I could see what they would do with a diff coach. Anyone know how they are doing In the minors? I though I saw where Walling was a lot better. (I may be wrong)

Walling is actually pitching pretty-ok. Not totally lost, like for Foxy.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/register/player.fcgi?id=wallin000and

On the radio broadcast, Polk had lots to say on Cerantola. Basically said that he was throwing beyond his competitiveness. At 98 mph, he was struggling. At 93 mph, he was locating. He wondered out-loud why he was not coached to pitch competitively. [Most people can't hit him at 98 or 93, but at 93 he does not walk so many batters. But also his pitches get flatter at 98]

the_real_MSU_is_us
06-14-2023, 08:04 AM
To be fair to the MLB top 200, there simply aren't 200 sure fire ready to go studs each year. Some on the list HAVE to be based on their ceiling.

So when guys like Cerantola or Fristoe don't hit that ceiling I can't blame the scouts

Tbonewannabe
06-14-2023, 09:42 AM
Fristoe was a good Sunday starter for most of his freshman season. He seemed to get worse as his career continued much like most pitchers under Foxhall.

PMDawg
06-14-2023, 10:47 AM
Fristoe...seemed to get worse as his career continued much like most pitchers under Foxhall.

Bingo!!! I've never seen a singular coach have more people regress under them than Foxhall. It's a terrible indictment on his coaching ability. Lemonis keeping him around as long as he did is a terrible indictment on his ability to be a HC/CEO.

The Federalist Engineer
06-14-2023, 11:04 AM
Fristoe was a good Sunday starter for most of his freshman season. He seemed to get worse as his career continued much like most pitchers under Foxhall.

He had a Benjamin Button of MSU careers. He went from All American Upper-Classman to Unreliable Freshman in 4 months.

With a less steep decline in performance, KC Hunt basically never changed or improved. He was the permanent Freshman. Stinnett never made a leap. Cade got better, but can't point to another multi-year guy that made a huge leap with Fox (Sims and Bednar were great Freshman and stayed great). Tepper made no improvement as a sophomore but had a good season as a starter for Liberty. Tullar was choppy always.

Who is the pitcher that improved with multiple years with Fox?

It seems to me that Fox' best action for MSU was 2019, he did great that first year. Many improved from 2018 to 2019. He also had an immaculate and prepared bullpen for 2021 Omaha. He also saved Bednar for Omaha. The pitching staff was fresh and ready for 70 games in 2021. So even Fox had a Benjamin Button career at MSU, from Genius to Villian in 4 Seasons.

Mjoelner34
06-14-2023, 11:11 AM
He had a Benjamin Button of MSU careers. He went from All American Upper-Classman to Unreliable Freshman in 4 months.

With a less steep decline in performance, KC Hunt basically never changed or improved. He was the permanent Freshman. Stinnett never made a leap. Cade got better, but can't point to another multi-year guy that made a huge leap with Fox (Sims and Bednar were great Freshman and stayed great). Tepper made no improvement as a sophomore but had a good season as a starter for Liberty. Tullar was choppy always.

Who is the pitcher that improved with multiple years with Fox?

It seems to me that Fox' best action for MSU was 2019, he did great that first year. Many improved from 2018 to 2019. He also had an immaculate and prepared bullpen for 2021 Omaha. He also saved Bednar for Omaha. The pitching staff was fresh and ready for 70 games in 2021. So even Fox had a Benjamin Button career at MSU, from Genius to Villian in 4 Seasons.

Leibelt is the only one I know of who improved. There was a pretty good turn around between his junior and senior seasons if I remember correctly.

confucius say
06-14-2023, 12:39 PM
Plumlee improved from 2017 to 2019
Can argue Gordon improved from end of 2018 (where he was better) to 2019
Can argue Sims improved from 2020 to 2021
Leibelt improved
Cade improved

That's all I can think of, and even those may just be the natural order of progression of things

The Federalist Engineer
06-14-2023, 01:26 PM
Leibelt is the only one I know of who improved. There was a pretty good turn around between his junior and senior seasons if I remember correctly.

Plumlee improved from 2017 to 2019
Can argue Gordon improved from end of 2018 (where he was better) to 2019
Can argue Sims improved from 2020 to 2021
Leibelt improved
Cade improved

That's all I can think of, and even those may just be the natural order of progression of things

Fox had a great year in 2019. We all thought he was a genius then. MSU only lost in the CWS when the UMP changed the strikezone on Gordon. Fox even developed a great roll for Colby White. Fox had Keegan James rehabs and contributing post TJ. Brandon Smith had a great Freshman season.

2019 was just a few clutch hits and one-bad inning from making a CWS Final.

I totally leave out 2020. Basically no season and I don't mention maccleod's not great 2021, cause he seemed injured

Randolph Dupree
06-14-2023, 02:57 PM
Fox had a great year in 2019. We all thought he was a genius then. MSU only lost in the CWS when the UMP changed the strikezone on Gordon. Fox even developed a great roll for Colby White. Fox had Keegan James rehabs and contributing post TJ. Brandon Smith had a great Freshman season.

2019 was just a few clutch hits and one-bad inning from making a CWS Final.

I totally leave out 2020. Basically no season and I don't mention maccleod's not great 2021, cause he seemed injured

I honestly believe that Fox, for whatever reason, just packed it in. The year after the natty there was a winter Prospect Camp and Fox was a no show. Cole Gordon was there evaluating and working with the pitchers. I think that happened more than once. It's a Prospect Camp...it's planned months in advance. How do you not show up?

confucius say
06-14-2023, 03:08 PM
I honestly believe that Fox, for whatever reason, just packed it in. The year after the natty there was a winter Prospect Camp and Fox was a no show. Cole Gordon was there evaluating and working with the pitchers. I think that happened more than once. It's a Prospect Camp...it's planned months in advance. How do you not show up?

Almost like something had his attention instead of baseball

sandjunky
06-14-2023, 03:27 PM
Almost like something had his attention instead of baseball

The Cannizzaro Effect? Surely not lol

confucius say
06-14-2023, 03:36 PM
The Cannizzaro Effect? Surely not lol

We've had our share of that. Don't need anymore

Goldendawg
06-14-2023, 04:02 PM
If our new PC (if we ever find one who will come out of the 1000's of phone calls Lemonis has received), cannot both evaluate and recruit the pitchers we want to stay, both those on the roster and commits then we have failed with the hire.

The Federalist Engineer
06-14-2023, 09:53 PM
If our new PC (if we ever find one who will come out of the 1000's of phone calls Lemonis has received), cannot both evaluate and recruit the pitchers we want to stay, both those on the roster and commits then we have failed with the hire.

Jay Powell would say we need to let pitchers pitch to their strengths as individuals. Not try to turn every kid into a 2K per inning guy.

Guys should also prioritize getting outs versus 94 mph perfect pitches. If the SEC era can go from atrocity of 9.00 to a decent 6.00, that's already 4 to 6 more wins. That's 15-15 in the SEC. Back from the dead.

If you can get a 5.00 ERA, that's upper end. But where MSU normally plays, they you win 2 or more games, 17 wins. Hosting.

Todd4State
06-15-2023, 01:17 AM

There is no foolproof rating system that gives you a crystal ball of how a player will do. I know Dakota Jordan was a top 200 prospects last year. We've had others like Foscue and Westburg and etc. that did pan out, JT Ginn as well.

Jay Powell would say we need to let pitchers pitch to their strengths as individuals. Not try to turn every kid into a 2K per inning guy.

Guys should also prioritize getting outs versus 94 mph perfect pitches. If the SEC era can go from atrocity of 9.00 to a decent 6.00, that's already 4 to 6 more wins. That's 15-15 in the SEC. Back from the dead.

If you can get a 5.00 ERA, that's upper end. But where MSU normally plays, they you win 2 or more games, 17 wins. Hosting.

What you just said is why I think we can turn our program around very quickly with a decent pitching coach even. It's really simple math. For us to be as bad as we were this year we would essentially have to duplicate our numbers from 2023. That's very unlikely.

TNDawg35
06-15-2023, 03:40 AM
We have got to start getting more than 1 year out of stud pitchers. Guys like Sims and Bednar need to give us more than 1 good year before they go pro. If we can get Lo and Loftin harnessed and under control, we could turn it around. Hell Loftin couldn’t throw strikes last year and they still couldn’t hit him. He was damn near unhittable when he did throw a strike. Lo was only a freshman. He got some good experience and a new pitching coach who is legit like Jackson could do him well.

Logan Forsythe had a really good start in summer ball I believe Mon or Tues.

Use the portal and grab some strike throwers and maybe if it is Jackson or Silva or whoever, they will bring some with them. Gotta think that of Jackson and Kingston leave USCe, some will follow both…

Shelton the freshman from Bama also just hit the portal. Test the waters there. See if he wants to come over.

Also saw where Hjusak is having a hell of a summer. He could possibly be our 3rd outfielder or 3B. (I have no clue where he is working during summer ball)

Cooterpoot
06-15-2023, 07:12 AM
Sims was injured. Bednar was an age deal or we get a couple years out of them. Jackson and Silva aren't coming here.

the_real_MSU_is_us
06-15-2023, 07:43 AM
What you just said is why I think we can turn our program around very quickly with a decent pitching coach even. It's really simple math. For us to be as bad as we were this year we would essentially have to duplicate our numbers from 2023. That's very unlikely.

I think our differences come in our standards/definitions for what "turning it around" means.

I define it as being getting back to making Supers regularly, making Omaha occasionally, having the potential to win it all if the chips fall right, and being a team in the hunt for winning the SEC. I want us to get back to being a top tier program.

You seem to define it as making the tournament, being in the host discussion, and being respectable in the conference instead of the embarrassment we are now.

A good PC will absolutely "turn it around" using your standards. But for my standards I think it's clear we need a change at the top due to our sub average offense, terrible defense, and culture that has failed to produce a leader these last 2 seasons.

State82
06-15-2023, 07:50 AM
I want us to get back to being a top tier program.

This is turning it around, pure and simple.

TNDawg35
06-15-2023, 07:51 AM
Sims was injured. Bednar was an age deal or we get a couple years out of them. Jackson and Silva aren't coming here.

I don’t know who Jackson is I was even talking about. I meant Parker…

Cooterpoot
06-15-2023, 08:05 AM
I don’t know who Jackson is I was even talking about. I meant Parker…

AL pitching coach

TNDawg35
06-15-2023, 08:48 AM
AL pitching coach

Yea I have read so many names I can’t keep them straight…

So you seem to know, who are we actually looking at right now…

HepMe
06-16-2023, 08:09 PM
He will go Juco and that will be all.