PDA

View Full Version : Lemonis just isn't going to get it done

bulldogcountry1
06-13-2023, 08:32 AM
There's absolutely no reason not to have a new PC at this point. The names we are hearing being thrown out there aren't impressive, so the writing is on the wall is that we aren't going to get a PC that's at a level that can get the program back in the postseason in 2024. When Lemonis sat down with Selmon after the season, this should have been the main requirement for keeping his job. Other than the Hines letter, nothing positive has come out of the program since the end of the regular season. Each day that Lemonis is trying to find a PC is a day that two coaches aren't out focused on trying to make the team better.

The situation just has failure written all over it.

Cooterpoot
06-13-2023, 08:46 AM
Let this be an example to the administration and top level supporters of a terrible decision to hang on to a bad coach. Next time we've got to do what's best for our program. I know it's expensive. But look what it's about to cost you program-wise.
We're very fortunate our NIL is strong or this would be really ugly.

KOdawg1
06-13-2023, 08:49 AM
Good news is it looks like Haire is staying at Campbell so he should be available for us next year if/when it comes time to make the change

Cooterpoot
06-13-2023, 08:54 AM
Good news is it looks like Haire is staying at Campbell so he should be available for us next year if/when it comes time to make the change

I don't think he'll be top part of our list. He's the top of the secondary group IMO. There are going to be a lot of good names available next year. That's the positive side.

TrapGame
06-13-2023, 09:01 AM
In my opinion this falls at the feet of the new AD. He's getting really bad advice from the cigar boys. This two year fall into baseball oblivion is worse than Joe Moorhead's two years as head football coach. It was blatantly obvious Moorhead had to be shown the door to save the program. Moorhead had two winning seasons and two Egg Bowl wins. We still canned his ass. This whole affair does not give me confidence in the new AD being able to make the tough decisions. He's coming off as being very passive.

KOdawg1
06-13-2023, 09:05 AM
In my opinion this falls at the feet of the new AD. He's getting really bad advice from the cigar boys. This two year fall into baseball oblivion is worse than Joe Moorhead's two years as head football coach. It was blatantly obvious Moorhead had to be shown the door to save the program. Moorhead had two winning seasons and two Egg Bowl wins. We still canned his ass. This whole affair does not give me confidence in the new AD being able to make the tough decisions. He's coming off as being very passive.

He's been on the job for 6 months. I don't blame him for not making a move before he even gets settled.

He'll be in a much better position to pull the trigger next May should he need to.

KOdawg1
06-13-2023, 09:06 AM
I don't think he'll be top part of our list. He's the top of the secondary group IMO. There are going to be a lot of good names available next year. That's the positive side.

Well if every Mississippi State coaching hire for the last several years (besides Jans) tells us anything, we'll probably fumble around and fall to that next tier of candidates.

DownwardDawg
06-13-2023, 09:25 AM
I've been told by posters here that our new AD is a beast. Doing a great job. I'm sure they know. We shall see.

DownwardDawg
06-13-2023, 09:25 AM
Agree.

HaggardDawg
06-13-2023, 09:36 AM
I got roasted here months back asking where our AD is. He hasn?t been visible, he wasn?t rolled out impressive fund raising campaigns or hype around any program. You don?t get a high power high paying job and get to coast for 6 months while you ?settle in?. An Alpha comes in and starts making everything around him better immediately.

Tbonewannabe
06-13-2023, 09:37 AM
When is he required to actually start doing his job? The baseball hire should have been #1 priority. Not many upper level jobs have a waiting period to start making decisions.

confucius say
06-13-2023, 09:49 AM

I agree. Even though I'm okay with giving lemonis another year, the reason for doing so should not be that our AD "just doesn't want to have to hire a baseball coach 6 months into the job." I mean what!? You make almost 7 figures. It's your job to be ready to do your job Day 1.

That aside, he's also done nothing for NIL. He isn't championing it on the daily, and he hasn't given the BI hardly any help. He seems like a great guy personally and a great husband/father, but I've been unimpressed professionally.

Really Clark?
06-13-2023, 09:59 AM
I agree. Even though I'm okay with giving lemonis another year, the reason for doing so should not be that our AD "just doesn't want to have to hire a baseball coach 6 months into the job." I mean what!? You make almost 7 figures. It's your job to be ready to do your job Day 1.

That aside, he's also done nothing for NIL. He isn't championing it on the daily, and he hasn't given the BI hardly any help. He seems like a great guy personally and a great husband/father, but I've been unimpressed professionally.

Charlie disputes what you are saying about what he's done with NIL since being hired.

CaptainObvious
06-13-2023, 10:05 AM
Any AD at State should be measured by 2 names:

Greg Byrne at the Top
Larry Templeton at the Bottom

Greg Byrne was brought in to clean up a mess. He was personable. He walked the stadiums and shook hands with Joe Average Fan and let him know he was appreciated. He got it done. Then he moved on.

Larry Templeton only listened to ONE group of Bulldog supporters. He cut corners to scrimp and save. He kept us as ?poor Ol Mississippi State?.

Is Selmon using State as a stepping stone? Most likely. But he needs to show other programs he can make the tough decisions. They mat he can strengthen MSU into an upper tier (constant Top 8 program in the SEC).

If he just rides along with the status quo, why would anyone look at him and see that he is the next big thing in Directing a large Athletics program?

He missed his first opportunity to make a statement. Let?s see his next move.

Cooterpoot
06-13-2023, 10:07 AM
I've been told by posters here that our new AD is a beast. Doing a great job. I'm sure they know. We shall see.

He's killing it on the NIL side. Marketing is picking up too. I like everything but the coaching situation and that's more on others.

Leroy Jenkins
06-13-2023, 10:10 AM
There's absolutely no reason not to have a new PC at this point. The names we are hearing being thrown out there aren't impressive.

No one leaked Barbay's name before he was hired, I don't expect a real candidate to be leaked until it's done.
I'm going to wait until someone is actually hired to be the PC before I sh*t all over the decision. However, I do reserve the right to sh*t on the decision later.
Lemonis knows he absolutely, positively has to nail this hire; his career is circling the drain. I am curious to see if he gets it right.

confucius say
06-13-2023, 10:17 AM
Charlie disputes what you are saying about what he's done with NIL since being hired.

Charlie cannot come out publicly and say that the AD is not doing enough to help. But everybody knows it. Charlie has been a one man crew. Hopefully that is starting to change.

confucius say
06-13-2023, 10:18 AM
He's killing it on the NIL side. Marketing is picking up too. I like everything but the coaching situation and that's more on others.

How is he killing it on the NIL side?

the_real_MSU_is_us
06-13-2023, 10:24 AM
When is he required to actually start doing his job? The baseball hire should have been #1 priority. Not many upper level jobs have a waiting period to start making decisions.

100% agree. No CEO, plant manager, supervisor etc Says to theor boss "I know we have a problem employee, but I'm going to let him keep hurting our company because I don't want to fire anyone after just 6 months of being here"

Leadership means leading. Doing what's best for State means often means doing what's uncomfortable for Selmon. Making a tough call means some people will disagree with you and of you can't handle that... don't be the head man.

And regarding NIL, nobody on this board is more clueless than me on the actual situation... THAT SAID, I wouldn't take Charlie's word on it. What's he going to say? "Selmon has done nothing to help NIL"?

TrapGame
06-13-2023, 10:30 AM
He's been on the job for 6 months. I don't blame him for not making a move before he even gets settled.

He'll be in a much better position to pull the trigger next May should he need to.

Settled my ass. You're either ready for a P5 captain's chair or you aren't. He failed his first test as AD out of the gate. I don't care how positive people spin this, it ain't good for us. It's just not.

confucius say
06-13-2023, 10:30 AM
100% agree. No CEO, plant manager, supervisor etc Says to theor boss "I know we have a problem employee, but I'm going to let him keep hurting our company because I don't want to fire anyone after just 6 months of being here"

Leadership means leading. Doing what's best for State means often means doing what's uncomfortable for Selmon. Making a tough call means some people will disagree with you and of you can't handle that... don't be the head man.

And regarding NIL, nobody on this board is more clueless than me on the actual situation... THAT SAID, I wouldn't take Charlie's word on it. What's he going to say? "Selmon has done nothing to help NIL"?

Agree on all accounts. On the former, even though I'm good with lemonis getting another year, the reason for him getting one should not be that our new AD is not ready to do his job yet.

KOdawg1
06-13-2023, 10:59 AM
Settled my ass. You're either ready for a P5 captain's chair or you aren't. He failed his first test as AD out of the gate. I don't care how positive people spin this, it ain't good for us. It's just not.

Kewl

TrapGame
06-13-2023, 11:14 AM
Kewl

So he's being paid a shit ton of money to be Delmar from Oh, Brother Where Art Thou?, "I'm with you fellas."

Yeah, great hire.

TheLostDawg
06-13-2023, 11:36 AM

Nope 6 months is plenty of time to see what's wrong. If not we have the wrong guy. We should be bringing in people at this time and moving others out. We're an SEC school. This is why you hire someone who knows what they are doing, not learn on the job. That sets you back years (Cohen). Selmon does not get a pass. This is why he makes what he does. Make the hard decisions. If you get them wrong then you're gone. 6 months is enough to see how screwed up everything was. Yeah I can see a year getting on track but the situation for Lemonis, you don't need a year to see what a mess keeping him on was going to cause. If he didn't have a PC then he should have been fired. If Selmon was going all in with Lemonis then we should have hired best available, no price limit. Seems we're not willing to throw the bank. Everyone has their price. However maybe he knows better than to do that for a year with a lame duck coach but if that's the case why keep the coach on another year.

Quaoarsking
06-13-2023, 11:52 AM

I blame him. This is the SEC.

If he honestly thinks Lemonis deserves another year, fair enough, that's his call. But if he kept him because he just wasn't ready to make a hire, then he wasn't ready to have this job, and we royally f'ed up our AD hire.

Randolph Dupree
06-13-2023, 12:07 PM
Any AD at State should be measured by 2 names:

Greg Byrne at the Top
Larry Templeton at the Bottom

Greg Byrne was brought in to clean up a mess. He was personable. He walked the stadiums and shook hands with Joe Average Fan and let him know he was appreciated. He got it done. Then he moved on.

Larry Templeton only listened to ONE group of Bulldog supporters. He cut corners to scrimp and save. He kept us as ?poor Ol Mississippi State?.

Is Selmon using State as a stepping stone? Most likely. But he needs to show other programs he can make the tough decisions. They mat he can strengthen MSU into an upper tier (constant Top 8 program in the SEC).

If he just rides along with the status quo, why would anyone look at him and see that he is the next big thing in Directing a large Athletics program?

He missed his first opportunity to make a statement. Let?s see his next move.

I can tell you for a fact that Greg Byrne was ready to fire Polk while he was coaching in Omaha. He saw the situation for what it was, a fluke and not sustainable. New guy should've seen the same. His position to remain status quo has not given me hope.

BrunswickDawg
06-13-2023, 12:12 PM
I can tell you for a fact that Greg Byrne was ready to fire Polk while he was coaching in Omaha. He saw the situation for what it was, a fluke and not sustainable. New guy should've seen the same. His position to remain status quo has not given me hope.

That would have been a ballsy move for a guy who was only Sr. Associate AD at the time.

Cooterpoot
06-13-2023, 12:34 PM
How is he killing it on the NIL side?

He's involved (Cohen wasnt) and things have picked up. Going to start seeing a lot of new NIL stuff coming.

TheLostDawg
06-13-2023, 12:43 PM
He's involved (Cohen wasnt) and things have picked up. Going to start seeing a lot of new NIL stuff coming.

I will see, I've seen more nil stuff advertised since he has been hired and he actually was a part of the road dog tour.
However he needs to get his people around him to make good coaching hires. He doesn't have to do it alone but certainly doesn't need to listen to the people we have in place over the last decade that hasn't moved the needle for the most part

Really Clark?
06-13-2023, 12:51 PM
Charlie cannot come out publicly and say that the AD is not doing enough to help. But everybody knows it. Charlie has been a one man crew. Hopefully that is starting to change.

That is simply not true at all. Not even close

Jarius
06-13-2023, 01:17 PM

Oh it's very good for our athletics department, it just isn't good for a sport that loses money and about 4 teams in the entire country give a shit about. The idea that we were going to pay 5/6 million dollars to buy out BASEBALL coaches was ridiculous. I realize we live in a little bubble in this area, but we need to focus a lot more attention on sports that make money and a lot less attention on a club sport that no one else gives a shit about.

KOdawg1
06-13-2023, 01:19 PM
I blame him. This is the SEC.

Good for you

BuckyIsAB****
06-13-2023, 01:32 PM
Let this be an example to the administration and top level supporters of a terrible decision to hang on to a bad coach. Next time we've got to do what's best for our program. I know it's expensive. But look what it's about to cost you program-wise.
We're very fortunate our NIL is strong or this would be really ugly.

It?s been ugly.

TrapGame
06-13-2023, 01:39 PM
Oh it's very good for our athletics department, it just isn't good for a sport that loses money and about 4 teams in the entire country give a shit about. The idea that we were going to pay 5/6 million dollars to buy out BASEBALL coaches was ridiculous. I realize we live in a little bubble in this area, but we need to focus a lot more attention on sports that make money and a lot less attention on a club sport that no one else gives a shit about.

That's why canned JoMo. Football is king. Too bad the only sport we can ever compete nationally on is baseball. Basketball? The jury is still out on that one.

the_real_MSU_is_us
06-13-2023, 01:45 PM
That's why canned JoMo. Football is king. Too bad the only sport we can ever compete nationally on is baseball. Basketball? The jury is still out on that one.

We will never compete in that one either. There's about 30 schools that are capable and willing to put more money into it than we could even if we set our minds to it. Not to mention our bad facilities and history in the sport. Baseball is all we can be competitive in long term

confucius say
06-13-2023, 02:01 PM

Good. Finally allocating some resources to help the BI is a nice change. Has taken too long though

Jarius
06-13-2023, 02:01 PM

Football has not been treated like a king at MSU ever in our existence, which is a shame. When you look at how much money we spend on baseball proportionate to our income, it's ridiculously too high. We have the best stadium and facilities in the country in baseball, yet we have an open endzone (1 of 3 in the conference and it makes us look like a glorified AAC school), no IPF, and a recruiting budget smaller than everyone in our league outside of Vandy in the sport that actually pays the bills for the athletics department. We had no business paying 60 million dollars for a baseball stadium or getting into a contract with a baseball coach that would require 6 million dollars to buy them out all the while we have our football program practicing inside a baseball facility when it rains. The most assbackwards BS I have ever seen. None of that played a role in why Selmon broght back Lemonis, but I'm glad we didn't pour more money down the drain on that sport while we have so many other pressing financial needs elsewhere.

sandjunky
06-13-2023, 02:11 PM
Football has not been treated like a king at MSU ever in our existence, which is a shame. When you look at how much money we spend on baseball proportionate to our income, it's ridiculously too high. We have the best stadium and facilities in the country in baseball, yet we have an open endzone (1 of 3 in the conference and it makes us look like a glorified AAC school), no IPF, and a recruiting budget smaller than everyone in our league outside of Vandy in the sport that actually pays the bills for the athletics department.
We had no business paying 60 million dollars for a baseball stadium or getting into a contract with a baseball coach that would require 6 million dollars to buy them out all the while we have our football program practicing inside a baseball facility when it rains. The most assbackwards BS I have ever seen. None of that played a role in why Selmon broght back Lemonis, but I'm glad we didn't pour more money down the drain on that sport while we have so many other pressing financial needs elsewhere.

If it weren?t for baseball and its history , that school would be a 4 year JC

Bothrops
06-13-2023, 02:14 PM
I sure am glad we didn't hire the wrong new coach.

Jarius
06-13-2023, 02:39 PM
If it weren?t for baseball and its history , that school would be a 4 year JC

If it weren't for football and the money we receive for simply having a football program in the SEC, we would have a juco baseball team. More people watch informercials at 3 am than watch the college world series.

sandjunky
06-13-2023, 02:45 PM
If it weren't for football and the money we receive for simply having a football program in the SEC, we would have a juco baseball team. More people watch informercials at 3 am than watch the college world series.

There was money to be made from football and the sec in the 70s and 80s?

How many on campus games did we forgo to Jackson?

MedDawg
06-13-2023, 02:58 PM
No, you can't decide that you want a new coach and then call the AD a failure because he didn't fire him. Then say it's because the AD is new and not ready yet. Y'all just made that up in your heads.

I am for replacing Lemonis, but I also recognize it's not an obvious decision and there are other factors in play. There is a huge buyout, for one.

It's not like nothing has been done. Getting a new pitching coach is one attempt at a solution.

Randolph Dupree
06-13-2023, 03:04 PM
That would have been a ballsy move for a guy who was only Sr. Associate AD at the time.

At the time, he knew he was going to be the next AD. He had already been offered and accepted the position. He knew he couldn't cut ties with him the following year but knew it was a matter of time. He already had his plan for facilities and coaches...before he was officially announced.

Jarius
06-13-2023, 11:01 PM
There was money to be made from football and the sec in the 70s and 80s?

How many on campus games did we forgo to Jackson?

Not at that time. We just happened to be the literal only team in the conference to care about the sport in the 70s.

Cooterpoot
06-14-2023, 06:43 AM
Not at that time. We just happened to be the literal only team in the conference to care about the sport in the 70s.

We didn't care. We just liked to park our cars in the outfield and drink. This whole program was founded by tailgating and Ron Polk.

basedog
06-14-2023, 07:55 AM
We didn't care. We just liked to park our cars in the outfield and drink. This whole program was founded by tailgating and Ron Polk.

We have been pretty good in baseball much longer than most programs. Actually, the Paul Gregory era got the "outfield era" going long before RP. Btw, those early 70's teams at Msu were as good as they get with talent.