PDA

View Full Version : I have been thinking it was time for College to go to wooden bats.

CaptainObvious
06-11-2023, 01:34 PM
What just happened in the Va/Duke game gives more reason to ditch the metal. No, no one was injured, but the 9 hole batter for UVA just stuck his bat out and hit a 315 foot double down the left field line. A little more than a bunt attempt flies the ball 315 feet in the air. Ridiculous.

Leroy Jenkins
06-11-2023, 01:40 PM
Not enough trees.

CaptainObvious
06-11-2023, 01:48 PM
Not enough trees.

Canada has plenty!

schddog72
06-11-2023, 03:53 PM
Canada has plenty!

Not since half of them just went up in flames . . . . . .

SilentSteel16
06-11-2023, 04:00 PM
Not since half of them just went up in flames . . . . . .

I have a bunch they can have, just come cut them and haul them away. Here lately timber companies want me to pay them 5k an acre to come clear them.

SpaceBully
06-11-2023, 04:23 PM
What just happened in the Va/Duke game gives more reason to ditch the metal. No, no one was injured, but the 9 hole batter for UVA just stuck his bat out and hit a 315 foot double down the left field line. A little more than a bunt attempt flies the ball 315 feet in the air. Ridiculous.

Funny that you mention wooden bats. That's what I used in high school. I actually prefer them. Get the right typed wood cured correctly with a good hardened lacquer finish and it will be almost as responsive as a metal bat. To me wooden bats just feel better in my hands. Temperature effects them less IMO. A cold metal bat stings much worse than a wood one.

coachnorm
06-11-2023, 04:38 PM
Too many college baseball players are just PLAYERS and not athletes. Too many do not have the upper body strength to swing wood. Now a days the aluminum bat is engineered to compensate for the weak unathletic baseball participants. This being said from someone who still remembers batting stances and swings going back to the mid 1960s? Being that I still remember stances and swings from the past, do you think that I once had a love for baseball as a whole?

Leeshouldveflanked
06-11-2023, 07:07 PM
It looks like MLB would have a wooden bat program with NCAA. It would save the MLB some $ in the long run separating the wheat from the chaff.

StarkVegasSteve
06-11-2023, 07:13 PM
It looks like MLB would have a wooden bat program with NCAA. It would save the MLB some $ in the long run separating the wheat from the chaff.

The best summer leagues all play with wooden bats so they know who can swing it and who cannot.

State82
06-11-2023, 07:19 PM
I would love to see it but it would be too expensive for a lot of the smaller budget programs.