PDA

View Full Version : The Walk - Starkville - It's Being Built on Wingo Way and It's Huge...

Count Istvan Teleky
06-07-2023, 08:51 AM
.. I was not aware that it was under construction near the intersection of Wingo and Blackjack on the new cut-through road that was completed within the last year.

Sorry - can't post a picture - unable to figure out how...

Count Istvan Teleky
06-07-2023, 08:57 AM
https://thewalkstarkville.com/

Here's the link. Evidently a super-nice student housing place.

Could be gameday as well.

Really nice.

SheltonChoked
06-07-2023, 09:05 AM
The county is going to have to build or expand some roads over there. That's a lot of people to be down a 2 lane road to get into Starkville.

TrapGame
06-07-2023, 09:35 AM

Really nice.

Crap that's nice!

That looks like a freaking vacation resort.

BrunswickDawg
06-07-2023, 09:56 AM
The county is going to have to build or expand some roads over there. That's a lot of people to be down a 2 lane road to get into Starkville.

A lot of kids live much nicer than we did - that's for sure. I remember when having an apartment with a washer and dryer was considered lux.

gtowndawg
06-07-2023, 10:02 AM
We toured State two weeks ago with our daughter and we drove by this place the night before. It's absolutely massive. Pictures do not do it justice.

BoomBoom
06-07-2023, 12:10 PM
We toured State two weeks ago with our daughter and we drove by this place the night before. It's absolutely massive. Pictures do not do it justice.

https://thewalkstarkville.com/gallery/

There's a construction section in the pics. Looks like an older home owner refused to sell, and they just built around him lol.

confucius say
06-07-2023, 01:05 PM
Condos or apartments?

Liverpooldawg
06-07-2023, 01:49 PM
https://thewalkstarkville.com/gallery/

There's a construction section in the pics. Looks like an older home owner refused to sell, and they just built around him lol.

If I remember correctly that whole property, old house included, was for sale for quite a while. I can't think of why it would be left unless what you said is true though. I do think the house is in decent shape, but it's been unoccupied for a while.

CaptainObvious
06-07-2023, 02:24 PM
What the heck! Ain?t no way that thing will ever be finished in time!

CaptainObvious
06-07-2023, 02:24 PM
Looks fantastic!

Mjoelner34
06-07-2023, 04:24 PM

Tell me about it. I live 2 miles east of campus on Blackjack. At least there is a turning lane all the way from campus to Bardwell Rd now. Back when it was only 2 lanes and The Grand (it wasn't called that originally) opened, I would have to frequently sit 5 minutes or longer waiting to get past it because of all of the dumb-asses trying to turn in who didn't know the gate code. I often wondered what would have happened if someone down Blackjack would have had a medical emergency and the ambulance couldn't get through because of 5 vehicles blocking both lanes due to someone not knowing a gate code.

viverlibre
06-07-2023, 04:56 PM
If I remember correctly that whole property, old house included, was for sale for quite a while. I can't think of why it would be left unless what you said is true though. I do think the house is in decent shape, but it's been unoccupied for a while.

That house looks decent, maybe it should be turned into a bar.

StarkVegasSteve
06-07-2023, 05:03 PM
Bad location. That would kill closer to the district but unfortunately students do not want to live out that way. Campus Trails found that out, Aspen found that out, and so on and so on.

Extendedcab
06-07-2023, 05:32 PM
A lot of kids live much nicer than we did - that's for sure. I remember when having an apartment with a washer and dryer was considered lux.

Yep, that's not Smith Hall (torn down years ago), or Suttle Hall (Also torn down years ago). My senior year I did live in a house on Cedar Lane, but it did not have all of these amenities. WOW!

Cooterpoot
06-07-2023, 05:51 PM
Kids going to run up student loans to stay there.

Johnson85
06-08-2023, 11:41 AM
Kids going to run up student loans to stay there.

Yup. That's mostly what student debt is now. Even the money actually being paid to the school is largely paying for amenities and extra administration, not increases in the cost of actually educating people.

Bothrops
06-08-2023, 10:39 PM
Yup. That's mostly what student debt is now. Even the money actually being paid to the school is largely paying for amenities and extra administration, not increases in the cost of actually educating people.

Funny how the world works.

AROB44
06-09-2023, 09:25 AM

Not sure about that....I can name 5 buildings that were men's dorms when I was there, and they are now "administrative" type buildings.

Johnson85
06-09-2023, 09:42 AM
Not sure about that....I can name 5 buildings that were men's dorms when I was there, and they are now "administrative" type buildings.

??? How would having 5 prior dorms that are now "administrative" type buildings not be consistent with my statement?

BoomBoom
06-09-2023, 12:07 PM

In my day the "cost of living", which dictated the max loan amount, didn't have too much in it beyond tuition. Would have covered an apartment, but not an expensive lux one. Has that formula been changed?

I would think this will mainly be kids with daddy money.

Johnson85
06-09-2023, 03:49 PM
In my day the "cost of living", which dictated the max loan amount, didn't have too much in it beyond tuition. Would have covered an apartment, but not an expensive lux one. Has that formula been changed?

I don't think that has changed. But when I was in school, it seemed like a lot of kids from middle class families took out loans and got money from their families each month. I think a lot of parents just kept spending what they were spending when the kids were in high school (food, entertainment, maybe a car and car insurance) and the student covered tuition and rent out of loans and/or scholarship. I was also in the thick of the "student loan debt is good debt" messaging. People may be smarter now.

Maroonthirteen
06-10-2023, 07:20 AM
I just want to point out the average cost of a dorm, is $5,500-8,600 a school year. Most are paying closer to $8600 because ain't nobody wanting to live in Hull.

My kid is moving to a near campus apartment for the next year. She has a much bigger space, private room, w/d handy, etc and will pay the same per month as the dorm when all is said and done. It's an easy decision.

Maroonthirteen
06-10-2023, 07:33 AM
The Walk is $700-$780 per month for a 2br apartment.

Terrible Herbert and Hull are $5500 for 9 months. $600 per month.
The new construction dorms are approximately $8600 for 9 months. $955 per month

BrunswickDawg
06-10-2023, 07:51 AM
I just want to point out the average cost of a dorm, is $5,500-8,600 a school year. Most are paying closer to $8600 because ain't nobody wanting to live in Hull.

My kid is moving to a near campus apartment for the next year. She has a much bigger space, private room, w/d handy, etc and will pay the same per month as the dorm when all is said and done. It's an easy decision.

Add in that you HAVE to have a meal plan living in a dorm - so add another $1800 a semester, plus adding money for laundry (when most apts. have w/d now). I ran the numbers after my daughters freshman year and realized quickly that at worst it was a wash living off campus.

Johnson85
06-12-2023, 10:35 AM
The Walk is $700-$780 per month for a 2br apartment.

Terrible Herbert and Hull are $5500 for 9 months. $600 per month.
The new construction dorms are approximately $8600 for 9 months. $955 per month

That's not exactly apples to apples though. If you aren't wanting to spend the entire calendar year in Starkville, the dorms are saving you a few months of rent. And then there are utilities, which a lot of the college apartments when I was there were pretty shitty construction as far as energy efficiency. Do the new dorms have bathrooms that are cleaned by the school? Or are they en suite now and cleaning the responsibility of the students? Our dorm bathrooms were actually kept pretty clean. I saw some pretty nasty apartment bathrooms and the ones that weren't nasty, they obviously spent at least a little bit of time cleaning. But those are still pretty eye popping numbers though. Just not quite as eye popping as they look at first glance.

Are you just required to live on campus for one year still? I liked living on campus and think I'd want my kids to do that for a year, but that's pretty damn pricey. Do the students that join fraternities and sororities get exempted from the meal plan requirement?

SheltonChoked
06-16-2023, 01:17 PM
That's not exactly apples to apples though. If you aren't wanting to spend the entire calendar year in Starkville, the dorms are saving you a few months of rent. And then there are utilities, which a lot of the college apartments when I was there were pretty shitty construction as far as energy efficiency. Do the new dorms have bathrooms that are cleaned by the school? Or are they en suite now and cleaning the responsibility of the students? Our dorm bathrooms were actually kept pretty clean. I saw some pretty nasty apartment bathrooms and the ones that weren't nasty, they obviously spent at least a little bit of time cleaning. But those are still pretty eye popping numbers though. Just not quite as eye popping as they look at first glance.

Are you just required to live on campus for one year still? I liked living on campus and think I'd want my kids to do that for a year, but that's pretty damn pricey. Do the students that join fraternities and sororities get exempted from the meal plan requirement?

It all depends on how nice and where the apartment is. If your kid wants granite countertops, a fitness center, a resort pool, and/or to live in the cotton district, then the dorms may be a better deal.

If they can live in any other part of starkville, you can get a 2 bedroom to yourself, for the price of a new dorm room. Utilities add about $160 a month (power, water, internet). $1800 a semester ($450 a month) saved on a meal plan will offset utilities, food and most of the beer. Add a roommate and the numbers are even better.

The new dorm rooms are "hotel style" where the bathrooms are cleaned by the kids. That's a wash.

SheltonChoked
06-16-2023, 01:22 PM

I think tuition being $20,000 a year has something to do with it.

We used to be able to get a summer job, make $1,000-1,500 a month, and have the $3,000 for tution. Now kids get $2,000-3,000 a month in a summer job, and borrow all the tuition money...

confucius say
06-16-2023, 02:19 PM
$700 a month for a new 2 bedroom apartment is dirt cheap. Holy cow. That's $350 a person with a roommate. That is incredibly cheap. Like west Jackson cheap.

Tater
06-16-2023, 03:51 PM

The flat tuition fee for State went from ~$3200 / semester in 2013 to ~$4400 / semester in 2019.

Tater
06-16-2023, 03:53 PM

COL Scholarship Cap is about 150% of tuition at State.

RocketDawg
06-16-2023, 06:52 PM

Really nice.

Looks a little nicer than Critz where I lived my first year, with 2 roommates ....

RocketDawg
06-16-2023, 06:53 PM
I don't think that has changed. But when I was in school, it seemed like a lot of kids from middle class families took out loans and got money from their families each month. I think a lot of parents just kept spending what they were spending when the kids were in high school (food, entertainment, maybe a car and car insurance) and the student covered tuition and rent out of loans and/or scholarship. I was also in the thick of the "student loan debt is good debt" messaging. People may be smarter now.

When I was in school, just about all students stayed in a dorm. It didn't kill us and was cheap.

Maroonthirteen
06-16-2023, 07:12 PM
Looks a little nicer than Critz where I lived my first year, with 2 roommates ....

Critz is still there and they charge $3,295 a semester per student. So, $6,590 per semester per dorm. That's got to be near 80-100% profit for MSU. I'm sure the building has been paid off for decades.

Todd4State
06-17-2023, 12:15 AM

That was the case when I was at MSU as well. It's just now the apartments and dorms are a lot nicer then when I was in school. And I know y'all have seen those college girls on Facebook that have their dorm all decorated like they're going to show it on HGTV. My wall had a MSU baseball legends poster on it and it kind of had a prison cell vibe going on. Just a completely different era.

Todd4State
06-17-2023, 12:20 AM
Bad location. That would kill closer to the district but unfortunately students do not want to live out that way. Campus Trails found that out, Aspen found that out, and so on and so on.

Isn't one of the big perks of living in the Cotton District the fact that you can live off campus but at the same time still walk to class unless you lived way down Main St.? I know that now it's the place to be because of all of the bars and restaurants but back in the day the accessibility plus the fact that the rent was really cheap was what kind of made it an attractive area for students.

This place seems pretty walkable to get to class to me.

Todd4State
06-17-2023, 12:22 AM
I think tuition being $20,000 a year has something to do with it.

We used to be able to get a summer job, make $1,000-1,500 a month, and have the $3,000 for tution. Now kids get $2,000-3,000 a month in a summer job, and borrow all the tuition money...

Ahhhhh yes. I had it pretty good because I was on scholarship(s). So all of my summer money was basically for fun.

Todd4State
06-17-2023, 12:25 AM

I think you're right. I did get some living money from my parents every month- but it was basically for food and necessities like toothpaste.

And like I said I think there is an "image" thing for some people. A place with granite counter tops that looks like a resort may be appealing to some of those people.

Another perk is the place can possibly be used as a place to spend the night after football and baseball games. Can't really sneak your parents in the dorm.

Cooterpoot
06-17-2023, 07:32 AM

Those locations should pick up, if the pricing is good. The only parking on campus is on the edges each way now. With the school eliminating driving on campus, all those places should pick up. Cotton District is terrible because of no parking and when things are hopping, it's hard to get in and out. The District is in the bad location. Impossible to grow it much.

Johnson85
06-19-2023, 10:48 AM
The flat tuition fee for State went from ~$3200 / semester in 2013 to ~$4400 / semester in 2019.

But those fees didn'tn get more expensive because it's that much more expensive to actually educate people. It got that expensive because they are pouring money into amenities and administration. The amenities are just a function of competing for "customers" spending money that either isn't theirs or doesn't feel like its theirs (until they have to pay it back). The administration is partly from a sick and unaccountable culture and partly driven by all the crazy federal compliance stuff.

Johnson85
06-19-2023, 10:59 AM
I think you're right. I did get some living money from my parents every month- but it was basically for food and necessities like toothpaste.

And like I said I think there is an "image" thing for some people. A place with granite counter tops that looks like a resort may be appealing to some of those people.

I think you're right that there is an image thing for some but I think there was a weird dynamic with student loans. I swear I think for middle class students when I was there, there was almost an inverse relationship between spending money and where in the middle class the family fell. For people at the upper edge of middle class that had managed to save some for college and also could cash flow some of it so that taking out a loan wasn't a necessity, I think those kids were living like poor college kids, but making it more or less debt free. I feel like once making it debt free wasn't an option, everybody went ahead and took the max loan and parents just kept spending the same amount or more on the kids as they spent in high school. But again, I was in the thick of the college debt is "good debt" and I think once you applied, they pretty much encouraged you to take the max.

dickiedawg
06-21-2023, 08:33 AM
That?s per bedroom. A 1-bed is like $1100/month.