PDA

View Full Version : Has Mullen set a new standard for no QB depth?

FlabLoser
04-22-2013, 12:22 AM
Other than the year of the Polish Rifle, I don't know of an era with less QB depth than what Mullen usually runs with.

We had Ralph/Russell/nobody

We've got Russell/injured Dak/nobody.

I've never seen a coach as content to have 1 to 0 QBs behind the starter.

Maybe I'm overstating that Mullen is content with that. He just can't build QB depth for shit.

MSUDawg4Life
04-22-2013, 12:25 AM
I don't think it's for the lack of trying. Things just haven't worked out for Mullen in this area. Maybe we'll get Cord and have four good QBs in the fall.

msstate7
04-22-2013, 01:13 AM
If we get cord, we'll have the type of qbs we need to fun ******* offense in '14. Factor in having jrob, Milton, griffin, shump, and the best collection of wr's we've had in a long time and we could really be a good offense in '14.

Coach34
04-22-2013, 07:50 AM
If we get cord, we'll have the type of qbs we need to fun ******* offense in '14. Factor in having jrob, Milton, griffin, shump, and the best collection of wr's we've had in a long time and we could really be a good offense in '14.

THIS

It's all in how you look at it- if Sandberg stays around for August, it will be the best collection of QB depth we have had in school history

gravedigger
04-22-2013, 10:53 AM
Going to have to look at this like coach. Dak will be fine and I expect him to be option #1 before we get too far into the season. With TR and cord behind I thin we are just fine especially with Williams coming in too.

2014 is the year we return to the brand of football we are all expecting. This year will be survival. Just hope he signs another next feb.

FlabLoser
04-22-2013, 10:57 AM
I look at it like its late April and we still don't know if we have a 3rd QB or not.

Coach34
04-22-2013, 11:04 AM
I look at it like its late April and we still don't know if we have a 3rd QB or not.

We already have a 3rd QB- the question is whether or not we will have a 4th

Shit Flab- I saw better QB play from our walk-ons than what we had under Crooms at times

Bo Darville
04-22-2013, 11:07 AM
quarterback is the hardest position to build depth at in today's world. These guys have no patience anymore. Russell and Prescott are more the exception than the rule (redshirt, then backup for 2 years). Look at Kiel from Notre Dame, the mighty Saban has had a QB leave, etc. Ole Miss got Snead and Brunetti to transfer in, but lost Cotton. Bo Wallace came from JUCO after transferring from Arkansas State. Guys are not content to sit at 3rd string and wait their turn.

Admittedly Favre and Schuessler were signed after our higher choices turned us down. However, no recruit looks at the depth chart more closely than a quarterback. That hurt us over the last few classes.

fishwater99
04-22-2013, 02:16 PM
You really think DAK will start over a Senior TR? Put down the crack pipe...

Coach34
04-22-2013, 02:25 PM
You really think DAK will start over a Senior TR? Put down the crack pipe...

Tyler started over a Sr in Chris Relf some in 2011

It wouldnt start that way, but if we have offensive problems to start the season and lose to OSU and Auburn- and Sandberg makes it to August- I could easily see him saying **** it and going back to the offense he knows best

FISHDAWG
04-22-2013, 02:28 PM

It wouldnt start that way, but if we have offensive problems to start the season and lose to OSU and Auburn- and Sandberg makes it to August- I could easily see him saying **** it and going back to the offense he knows best

NAILED IT

Goat Holder
04-22-2013, 03:26 PM

To his credit, Relf was banged up for a while after that Auburn game. Ribs n stuff.

MSUDawg4Life
04-22-2013, 03:38 PM
To his credit, Relf was banged up for a while after that Auburn game. Ribs n stuff.

Right. Tyler started over an injured Chris Relf. He did not simply take the job away from Chris. He simply got an opportunity when Chris wasn't at his best.

FISHDAWG
04-22-2013, 03:46 PM
did you see the UAB game ??

MSUDawg4Life
04-22-2013, 03:52 PM
Did Tyler start the UAB game?

Coach34
04-22-2013, 04:57 PM
Did Tyler start the UAB game?

No- but he did start the next game because of the way he played in it- no because Relf was too hurt to play

MSUDawg4Life
04-22-2013, 05:04 PM
No- but he did start the next game because of the way he played in it- no because Relf was too hurt to play

I never said Chris Relf was too injured to play, but it was obvious the pounding put on Chris Relf was taking a toll on him and affecting his play. That's why Tyler got a chance to play.

FISHDAWG
04-23-2013, 08:33 AM
well Tyler continued to start against SC through Arkansas ... several games later ... if I remember correctly Ralph didn't start again until the eggbowl