PDA

View Full Version : I just can't get over it...

Cowbell
06-04-2023, 02:10 PM
Watching all these other teams play and I haven't found one team that has a worst pitching staff than we had this past season. How is that possible? Every team I have watched so far has atleast one pitcher better than anyone on our staff. It's really discouraging. How the heck does Wake Forest, Southern Miss, and South Carolina have guys that we couldn't pull?

EdwardDrayton
06-04-2023, 02:20 PM
Watching all these other teams play and I haven't found one team that has a worst pitching staff than we had this past season. How is that possible? Every team I have watched so far has atleast one pitcher better than anyone on our staff. It's really discouraging. How the heck does Wake Forest, Southern Miss, and South Carolina have guys that we couldn't pull?

Yeah. Watching these games really brings it home. We are not a very good baseball team.

StarkVegasSteve
06-04-2023, 02:20 PM

Our problem is not pulling guys like that. It is that we failed to develop anyone. They are the same when they walk in the door as freshman as they are when they walk out the door.

parabrave
06-04-2023, 02:31 PM
Our problem is not pulling guys like that. It is that we failed to develop anyone. They are the same when they walk in the door as freshman as they are when they walk out the door.

this/ Also recruiting is always a crapshoot. Some guys are late bloomers while some peak in High School. But they all have to be developed. And trying to nibble away at the outside corner 20 times in a row doesn't help. Also I haven't seen fielding as bad as ours either.

Cowbell
06-04-2023, 03:02 PM
this/ Also recruiting is always a crapshoot. Some guys are late bloomers while some peak in High School. But they all have to be developed. And trying to nibble away at the outside corner 20 times in a row doesn't help. Also I haven't seen fielding as bad as ours either.

I wouldn't say recruiting is a crapshoot. There are guys that have it and those that are projects. We get too many projects.

CaptainObvious
06-04-2023, 05:24 PM
Must be recruiting from Polk?s summer camps again.

maroonmania
06-04-2023, 05:33 PM
You can rest assured that any team with a pitching staff worse than ours will definitely not be found in the NCAA tournament field. No college offense is good enough to overcome that liability to a point of being tournament worthy.

Schultzy
06-04-2023, 11:58 PM
You don’t develop talent, you recruit it.

Todd4State
06-05-2023, 12:01 AM

Eh...it's some of both. Chris Stratton and Dakota Hudson were always talented and they struggled just as much as some of our pitchers this year. Once they were developed they were able to reach their full potential.

the_real_MSU_is_us
06-05-2023, 05:29 AM
The thing is, theres not enough good pitching to go around so the competition makes it hard to just "get guys that arent projects", or hell, even to get projects that have a high ceiling.

Looking at these teams I see guys that aren't just developed, but have better pure stuff than our guys. TN vs Clemson for example, TN rolled out 4 guys that we'd be listing as a huge piece for us next year of they were on our team. Better pure stuff than Cade.

We may have failed to develop our projects, but to my eye weve failed to bring in talented projects too. This Fr class has great potential, but above that? What So or Jr pitcher has Dollander potential if developed? Lemonis seemed to have whiffed on pitching talent a couple classes. Hopefully he can keep bringing in Holcombs or Loos or Loftins and rely less on 92mph Gartmans from the Portal. Gartman would have been a great Midweek or even Sunday starter, but we needed him to be a much bigger piece than his talent could support. Got to have less Yntemas or Stinnetts and more high ceiling projects and then develop from there. But it's easier said than done as everyone wants to HS kid with a 96mph FB and a high spin rate.

Pancho
06-05-2023, 05:42 AM
I am just not optimistic at all about Lemo's ability to identify talent or evaluate potential. He still has to locate a Pc who can improve Loo, Loftin and Holcombe enough so they can stay on the mound more than 3 innings tops so I'm waiting with baited breath to see who enrolls and what the fall practices unearth as we go into the 24 season. I'd currently say none of our pitchers have Dollander type potential so it'll be very vital for him to somehow locate and sign actual arm talent immediately.

maroonmania
06-05-2023, 07:33 AM

That's mostly true but there are still guys like Chad Girodo and Jareed Liebelt that have enough talent that they can become tremendous college pitchers when developed by the right pitching coach.

Pinto
06-05-2023, 09:26 AM
Lemon relies heavily on Perfect Game stats, showcases, and rankings. He is a lazy recruiter and turns a lot of parents off when they meet him.

Cooterpoot
06-05-2023, 09:54 AM
Talent is developed. But roles are developed even more. Guys go from 92 to 95 on a FB routinely these days. Secondary pitches are developed.
And no, parents don't hate Lemonis in the recruiting process. Most like him.

PMDawg
06-05-2023, 10:18 AM

Oklahoma State appeared to have a staff about on par with ours. At least we're not looking there for our next pitching coach.**

basedog
06-05-2023, 12:02 PM
Talent is developed. But roles are developed even more. Guys go from 92 to 95 on a FB routinely these days. Secondary pitches are developed.
And no, parents don't hate Lemonis in the recruiting process. Most like him.

He is a likeable guy. I've never seen or heard of anyone not liking him.

The Federalist Engineer
06-05-2023, 12:44 PM
Eh...it's some of both. Chris Stratton and Dakota Hudson were always talented and they struggled just as much as some of our pitchers this year. Once they were developed they were able to reach their full potential.

Naw Todd, those past guys struggled but 75% of the 2023 guys plain suck.

Even the Pre-Batman version of Girodo would be top guy on this team. Vance Tatum was not great his final year, but still way better than KC.

Never seen an MSU staff were even a 9 run lead was not safe. Discount Polk 2.0 recovery, never had an MSU team that simply folded an SEC game. Could not complete and plain gave the game away.

Most shot-out version of MSU ever. This year is to MSU baseball what Amy Schumer is to Women.

The Federalist Engineer
06-05-2023, 01:22 PM
Oklahoma State appeared to have a staff about on par with ours. At least we're not looking there for our next pitching coach.**

Ok State had a skinny transfer kid from Long Beach as an Ace, a poor man's version of Cade. Then one relief pitcher that did all the best work, Nate Dohm. The rest was D-Grade. They tried to save the best for game-2, still got double-run ruled.

MSU could at least hang for 2 games.

Todd4State
06-05-2023, 01:56 PM
Naw Todd, those past guys struggled but 75% of the 2023 guys plain suck.

Even the Pre-Batman version of Girodo would be top guy on this team. Vance Tatum was not great his final year, but still way better than KC.

Never seen an MSU staff were even a 9 run lead was not safe. Discount Polk 2.0 recovery, never had an MSU team that simply folded an SEC game. Could not complete and plain gave the game away.

Most shot-out version of MSU ever. This year is to MSU baseball what Amy Schumer is to Women.

KC's problem was we left him in way too long. I bet that is where he gave up the majority of his runs.

The 2015 pitching staff was pretty bad and our offense wasn't good enough to give them a 9 run lead to blow usually.

Cowbell
06-05-2023, 03:19 PM
KC's problem was we left him in way too long. I bet that is where he gave up the majority of his runs.

The 2015 pitching staff was pretty bad and our offense wasn't good enough to give them a 9 run lead to blow usually.

I remember seeing KC hunt start for us when he first got here and he could really eat some innings. Then he just regressed....

the_real_MSU_is_us
06-05-2023, 03:33 PM

Just tue fact KC was SUPPOSED to be our Saturday starter really shows how little developed talent we have. Big hill to climb this offseason