PDA

View Full Version : In Regional News

sandjunky
06-02-2023, 01:12 PM
Paul Skenes on the bump against 19-40 Tulane today

While I waller in my post season sorrow, I laugh at JJ for this move

Commercecomet24
06-02-2023, 01:25 PM
Doesn't make a lot of sense does it? If you can't beat tulane with your #2 and all those bats you probably ain't going very far anyway.

viverlibre
06-02-2023, 01:41 PM
Doesn't make a lot of sense does it? If you can't beat tulane with your #2 and all those bats you probably ain't going very far anyway.

Did Polk do this too (burn our ace against a four seed)?

sandjunky
06-02-2023, 01:42 PM

Yes

Tbonewannabe
06-02-2023, 01:46 PM

Maholm pitched against some shit team and I think we lost that Regional.

Commercecomet24
06-02-2023, 01:53 PM

Yes he did.

StarkVegasSteve
06-02-2023, 01:59 PM

We burned him against MTSU, who we could have beaten throwing a mid week guy. Got waxed by UNC the next day and had to beat Missouri that night to stave off elimination. Funny enough we were a Papelbon blown save from having Maholm ready to go for the final game. And we would have hosted a Super because the national seed we were matched up with had lost. I still have not completely forgiven Polk for wasting Maholm.

Commercecomet24
06-02-2023, 01:59 PM

We did.

Commercecomet24
06-02-2023, 02:01 PM
I'm watching this Cravey kid pitch against usm. We need to give him a call.

parabrave
06-02-2023, 02:39 PM
So does Arky choke early this year? Down 2 zip in the 2nd

State82
06-02-2023, 03:46 PM
So does Arky choke early this year? Down 2 zip in the 2nd
One can only hope.

Commercecomet24
06-02-2023, 03:54 PM
And down goes usm in extras, 4-2.

Leeshouldveflanked
06-02-2023, 03:59 PM
There are 11 unhappy USM fans now

Activated Alpha
06-02-2023, 04:57 PM
Did they change ESPN coverage for the NCAA tournament to ESPN+ this year? Most of the games have been on ESPN+. I don't seem to recall it being this way last year

AlSwearengen
06-02-2023, 05:06 PM
I like Polk, but he was a good fundamentals coach (outside of bunting) and very mediocre game coach. He made some seriously retarded decisions like the one ya’ll are talking about. His team’s approach at the plate seemed to be look fastball and adjust to the fastball 100% of the time. Anyone with a half decent curve was shutting us down. I don’t know how many important games we lost because t-ball teams could bunt better than his teams could.

We could field the ball and pre-game infield was a well choreographed Vegas show that was entertaining and no one could argue better than Polk. I have a love hate relationship with Polk.

Leeshouldveflanked
06-02-2023, 05:08 PM
Did they change ESPN coverage for the NCAA tournament to ESPN+ this year? Most of the games have been on ESPN+. I don't seem to recall it being this way last year
WCWS draws more viewers is probably the reason.

The Federalist Engineer
06-02-2023, 05:45 PM
Paul Skenes on the bump against 19-40 Tulane today

While I waller in my post season sorrow, I laugh at JJ for this move

Throws 9 innings too

JJ is one that rode 4 Arizona pitchers in 2016.

Commercecomet24
06-02-2023, 07:57 PM
Throws 9 innings too

JJ is one that rode 4 Arizona pitchers in 2016.

9 ip and 125 pitches! Insane!

Leeshouldveflanked
06-02-2023, 08:28 PM
The Fighting Butch Thompsons are in trouble

AlSwearengen
06-02-2023, 08:53 PM

Tells you what he thinks of his staff. He is scared to put an inning eater in there and risk Tulane going on a run and having to use one of his better relievers to finish it.

Cowbell
06-02-2023, 08:54 PM

Good grief. You would think he is done for the year

Leeshouldveflanked
06-02-2023, 09:46 PM
Auburn beaten by The Quakers

basedog
06-02-2023, 09:57 PM
Auburn beaten by The Quakers

Who you got, Au vs Usm tomorrow?

Commercecomet24
06-02-2023, 10:19 PM
Who you got, Au vs Usm tomorrow?

Auburn gonna win usm doesn't hit well and pitching is a crap shoot for them.

Commercecomet24
06-02-2023, 10:21 PM
Tells you what he thinks of his staff. He is scared to put an inning eater in there and risk Tulane going on a run and having to use one of his better relievers to finish it.

Yeah their staff is really thin. What'll be interesting to see is if he needs skenes again in this regional will he throw him again?

basedog
06-02-2023, 10:41 PM

I think Au wins also. They only had 4 hits tonight.

basedog
06-02-2023, 10:42 PM
Yeah their staff is really thin. What'll be interesting to see is if he needs skenes again in this regional will he throw him again?

If I’m Skenes Dad or agent, I’m telling him no more this weekend.

Dawg97
06-02-2023, 10:50 PM
The freshman pitcher Nicholls started tonight looked really good. I?m sure he will be at LSU next year.

Todd4State
06-02-2023, 11:53 PM

This.

Todd4State
06-03-2023, 12:01 AM

I was at the LSU game today incognito. Local rivalry games are one of my weird baseball things I like.

I couldn't believe it either. I was certain he done after 8. Nope.

I figured LSU would win today but I wouldn't be surprised if they lose to Oregon State. No way they can bring Skenes back. Their staff is thin.

Alex Box was nice. But it's no Dudy Noble. Our atmosphere is way better. Tulane fans were louder at times. LSU fans seem entitled to me in baseball. They just expect to win and everything to go right. Like they just think that they're better than everyone else.

Todd4State
06-03-2023, 12:02 AM
If I’m Skenes Dad or agent, I’m telling him no more this weekend.

Jay Johnson did the same thing with Bobby Dalbac.

basedog
06-03-2023, 03:24 AM
I was at the LSU game today incognito. Local rivalry games are one of my weird baseball things I like.

I couldn't believe it either. I was certain he done after 8. Nope.

I figured LSU would win today but I wouldn't be surprised if they lose to Oregon State. No way they can bring Skenes back. Their staff is thin.

Alex Box was nice. But it's no Dudy Noble. Our atmosphere is way better. Tulane fans were louder at times. LSU fans seem entitled to me in baseball. They just expect to win and everything to go right. Like they just think that they're better than everyone else.

You nailed it! I worked for a company from south La for years, it's their culture in the way they act and treat others. Glad I'm away from their culture now days!

SpaceBully
06-03-2023, 03:52 AM
NT

SpaceBully
06-03-2023, 03:57 AM
It's by the book. You always throw your ace in game one no matter the opponent. I'm good with it. I would have thrown Skenes against MVSU. There are hundreds of examples where the highly ranked team withheld their ace thinking they'd save him for the next game vs a better opponent......ONLY to get embarrassed in losing game one and having to fight their way back through the loser's bracket. And many never even got out of their own regional because of it.

Captain Falcon
06-03-2023, 07:58 AM
It's by the book. You always throw your ace in game one no matter the opponent. I'm good with it. I would have thrown Skenes against MVSU. There are hundreds of examples where the highly ranked team withheld their ace thinking they'd save him for the next game vs a better opponent......ONLY to get embarrassed in losing game one and having to fight their way back through the loser's bracket. And many never even got out of their own regional because of it.

There are plenty of examples where holding your ace works, too. Including this year. Wake Forest didn?t throw Lowder yesterday and they still won 12-0.

We didn?t throw Small in Game 1 in 2019 and still won the Regional in 3 games.

msudawg1200
06-03-2023, 08:07 AM
I like Polk, but he was a good fundamentals coach (outside of bunting) and very mediocre game coach. He made some seriously retarded decisions like the one ya’ll are talking about. His team’s approach at the plate seemed to be look fastball and adjust to the fastball 100% of the time. Anyone with a half decent curve was shutting us down. I don’t know how many important games we lost because t-ball teams could bunt better than his teams could.

We could field the ball and pre-game infield was a well choreographed Vegas show that was entertaining and no one could argue better than Polk. I have a love hate relationship with Polk.

Hitting wise you about have to sit fastball and adjust to the offspeed stuff. I mean, you could try to be a guess hitter but that's very risky and inconsistent. I don't know what other hitting approach you'd take? Did you want Polk telling them to sit offspeed and adjust to the fastball? I played through JUCO, and I was taught at every level to sit fastball and adjust to the offspeed pitch.

State82
06-03-2023, 09:58 AM
Jay Johnson did the same thing with Bobby Dalbac.

That name still gives me heartburn.

TNDawg35
06-03-2023, 11:02 AM
So who is gonna be the first SEC team bounced? I would have put money on KY, but Auburn may be looking at it. Did USM throw Hall yest?

DownwardDawg
06-03-2023, 11:08 AM
If my memory serves me correctly, most coaches always throw their ace in game 1 of the regional. My memory certainly isn't what it used to be but it's nowhere near Joe Biden level of deterioration. I know it happens quite often.

StarkVegasSteve
06-03-2023, 11:36 AM
If my memory serves me correctly, most coaches always throw their ace in game 1 of the regional. My memory certainly isn't what it used to be but it's nowhere near Joe Biden level of deterioration. I know it happens quite often.

It has become a little less common in recent years. Most still do throw their ace to simply keep them on schedule. It also gives them the chance to bring them back on a Monday for a few innings if there was a winner take all game

smootness
06-03-2023, 01:20 PM
Hitting wise you about have to sit fastball and adjust to the offspeed stuff. I mean, you could try to be a guess hitter but that's very risky and inconsistent. I don't know what other hitting approach you'd take? Did you want Polk telling them to sit offspeed and adjust to the fastball? I played through JUCO, and I was taught at every level to sit fastball and adjust to the offspeed pitch.

That is always how the best hitters, and basically any mildly successful MLB hitter, approaches it. Not sure what he?s talking about, you don?t ever try to adjust to the fastball.

The Federalist Engineer
06-03-2023, 02:12 PM
Ok State is playing to survive elimination right now. Vs Dallas Baptist

They are throwing their Ace today.

If they lose, do we get the new PC announcement on Monday?

The Federalist Engineer
06-03-2023, 03:20 PM
Ok State's Ace is "electric" and has a major league curve! Best pitcher in the Big 12! 6Ks in 4 innings. But getting killed by Dallas Baptist. Like Jackson Fristoe and Stinnett with Foxy.

Walmart left him in the game even as DB has been hammering him. In the 5th, it was batting practice.

OKSU might still win today, down 6-1. But not impressive as a regional host to be 0-2 versus little schools.

Commercecomet24
06-03-2023, 03:26 PM
Auburn looks like they're ready to go home.

DownwardDawg
06-03-2023, 03:27 PM
Auburn looks like they're ready to go home.

It's a short drive. Lol

Commercecomet24
06-03-2023, 03:29 PM
It's a short drive. Lol

Lol yep! They have no fire or energy and their hitters are swinging like they could care less.

basedog
06-03-2023, 03:36 PM
Little surprising. Wouldn't you like to hear the meeting with Cohen and Butch Monday morning?

The Federalist Engineer
06-03-2023, 04:02 PM
Little surprising. Wouldn't you like to hear the meeting with Cohen and Butch Monday morning?

Just 6-1, not dead yet.

The new rumored PC is getting torched 14-1 by Dallas Baptist. It's BP on a Saturday. Maybe those Big12 numbers are worthless. 20 earned runs in 16 innings Vs Mid Majors.

Mjoelner34
06-03-2023, 04:20 PM

It's all good. Butch saved his ace for today. That's all that matters. **

basedog
06-03-2023, 04:31 PM
Ok State's Ace is "electric" and has a major league curve! Best pitcher in the Big 12! 6Ks in 4 innings. But getting killed by Dallas Baptist. Like Jackson Fristoe and Stinnett with Foxy.

Walmart left him in the game even as DB has been hammering him. In the 5th, it was batting practice.

OKSU might still win today, down 6-1. But not impressive as a regional host to be 0-2 versus little schools.

He probably wants the season to end quickly so he can get started at StarkVegas****

the_real_MSU_is_us
06-03-2023, 04:33 PM
LOL my wife came downstairs, saw the TV, and said "why are you watching a blowout?". I said "that's our new pitching coach". She asked "the team that's allowed 1 run?", I just stared at her and when she got it she literally said "aww... sorry sweetie"

DownwardDawg
06-03-2023, 04:47 PM
He probably wants the season to end quickly so he can get started at StarkVegas****

Seriously, this isn't our new pitching coach?!?! Guys!!! Don't do this to me. Y'all stop clowning.
Who is our REAL new pitching coach?

The Federalist Engineer
06-03-2023, 04:59 PM
Seriously, this isn't our new pitching coach?!?! Guys!!! Don't do this to me. Y'all stop clowning.
Who is our REAL new pitching coach?

Other SEC coaches discussing Buckets new PC ....

https://time.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/ronald-reagans-joke-diana-walker.jpg?w=760&w=760

DownwardDawg
06-03-2023, 05:22 PM
Other SEC coaches discussing Buckets new PC ....

https://time.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/ronald-reagans-joke-diana-walker.jpg?w=760&w=760

Hahaha!!!

TNDawg35
06-03-2023, 06:39 PM
If y’all aren’t watching Clemson/Tenn you need to. This Clemson team is fun to watch. Their stadium is rocking right now. They just chased Dollander out.

The Federalist Engineer
06-03-2023, 09:12 PM
Kentucky loses 3-5 to Indiana

What a bitter loss for the Wildcats and Mingione

They still could outlast the mid majors on pitching depth

The Federalist Engineer
06-03-2023, 09:14 PM
If y’all aren’t watching Clemson/Tenn you need to. This Clemson team is fun to watch. Their stadium is rocking right now. They just chased Dollander out.

Classic game. Like a championship. HR in the 9th and then extreme extra inning drama.

Man, crisp and effective relief pitching. After watching OKSU pitching, this is 5 levels more advanced

DownwardDawg
06-03-2023, 09:52 PM
That was a great game. Thought it would go all night.

Offshore Dawg
06-04-2023, 03:16 PM
LOL my wife came downstairs, saw the TV, and said "why are you watching a blowout?". I said "that's our new pitching coach". She asked "the team that's allowed 1 run?", I just stared at her and when she got it she literally said "aww... sorry sweetie"

Good girl, she understands !!!