PDA

View Full Version : Right and Wrong. 2013 football edition

CadaverDawg
11-30-2013, 10:32 PM
I have made a lot of predictions and assumptions this year, and I am always big on owning the shit you say, good or bad. So here's a few things I need to admit to being wrong about, as well as a few right ones.

Where I was wrong:

Taveze Calhoun. I was calling for this guy to be taken off the field early in the season. Boy was I wrong. Dude has become a stud, and quickly has turned in to one of my favorites. Listen to his post game interview and you will like him even more. His goal is to outwork everyone on and off the field, and he gives all of the credit to God. I love that, and respect it.

Nickoe Whitley. I was ready for him to be benched, and then he flipped a freaking switch and straight showed out his last 3-4 games. He hasn't wrapped up in 4 years, and hasn't taken a good angle in 2 years, but the dude has made TONS of big plays for MSU.

Joe Morrow. He's still no superstar, but I was ready to give up on him after early season drops. He continues to work hard though, and he looks to be a solid, reliable WR for his last 2 years.

Dan Mullen. I wasn't completely wrong on Dan. I always was willing to let him finish the season, and Collins may very well have saved his ass down the stretch...but I was wrong thinking he would lose the team and that we would lose either or both of the last two and miss a bowl. He deserves credit for that, and I'm going to give it to him.

Where I was right:

Dak Prescott. No need to explain

Josh Robinson. No need to explan

Perkins. Love LP, but no way should he have been getting the bulk of the carries. I said from day one, and even last year, that JRob should be every down back, and LP on 3rd downs. I stand by that and think everyone agrees after watching JRob down the stretch.

I have a feeling that the Egg Bowl win may have helped us turn that corner back to being a rising program after about a year and half of being on the decline. We now have leadership, talent, depth, coaching, and most importantly a swagger and confidence where we know we can win. I look for this bowl game to be a springboard into a big year in 2014.

HailState

dawg21
11-30-2013, 11:22 PM
The same coach that gives LP the ball too much gave Whitney more chances than I would. While I don't always agree with Dan's decisions (letting Russell, LP, Whitney play too much), I understand the strategy. Trust the players that have invested the most. It builds a winning attitude, even when you lose. And we have more talent now, so this foundation should be solid for the next couple of years. Mullen and Cohen are a lot alike, it just takes longer in football to build a top 10 team.

Coach34
11-30-2013, 11:28 PM
The same coach that gives LP the ball too much gave Whitney more chances than I would. While I don't always agree with Dan's decisions (letting Russell, LP, Whitney play too much), I understand the strategy. Trust the players that have invested the most. It builds a winning attitude, even when you lose. And we have more talent now, so this foundation should be solid for the next couple of years. Mullen and Cohen are a lot alike, it just takes longer in football to build a top 10 team.

good post and a good observation

Will James
11-30-2013, 11:35 PM
Not seeing the Mullen-Cohen comparison. Sounds great but I don't make that link.

Homedawg
11-30-2013, 11:42 PM
Not seeing the Mullen-Cohen comparison. Sounds great but I don't make that link.

They both like to sacrifice "bunt".***

dawg21
11-30-2013, 11:43 PM
I just see that both coaches demand hard work and those that work hard get rewarded.

Coach34
11-30-2013, 11:44 PM

Of course you dont- just like you didnt even think it possible Mullen would beat OM

"You're conveniently setting yourself up with the Egg Bowl talk. It's not going to make you any superior to the "non-Mullenites" by waiting until the 5-7 happens you know.

"We'll I didn't make any quick decisions based on the schedule, I waited till it actually came to pass" isn't a moral high ground. We've been mediocre. We are mediocre. I don't have to prance around "expecting" an Egg Bowl win only to be flabbergasted when it doesn't happen because its somehow in your head expected to."- Will James