Kentucky
UPig
LSU
Bama
Auburn

Only 4 Regionals are not SEC/ACC

99jc
05-28-2023, 08:03 PM
where is the one in Starkville? Oh yeah lemondick still here same story next year.

Coach34
05-28-2023, 08:16 PM
where is the one in Starkville? Oh yeah lemondick still here same story next year.

Bunko missed the NCAA Tourney after winning a Natty- with a solid team returning- and he is one of the SEC's best coaches in history. It happens.

SEC baseball is the toughest job in all of team sports. Even tougher than football. We're mad about this season and we were 4 games away from making the NCAA's. 4 short in a 53 game schedule. Says alot

CaptainObvious
05-28-2023, 08:28 PM
Bunko missed the NCAA Tourney after winning a Natty- with a solid team returning- and he is one of the SEC's best coaches in history. It happens.

SEC baseball is the toughest job in all of team sports. Even tougher than football. We're mad about this season and we were 4 games away from making the NCAA's. 4 short in a 53 game schedule. Says alot

And here is where I remind you that works both ways. We were 4 losses from being 23-30 (5-25 in the SEC). Not to mention the (3) 1 run non-con wins that could have also gone the other way. Enjoy your BBQ?s this summer at Lemonis home.

Coach34
05-28-2023, 08:33 PM
And here is where I remind you that works both ways. We were 4 losses from being 23-30 (5-25 in the SEC). Not to mention the (3) 1 run non-con wins that could have also gone the other way. Enjoy your BBQ?s this summer at Lemonis home.

Let's not forget we lost 3 pretty sure OOC wins to weather as well. Were 3-3 OOC vs P5

I'm gonna make sure Lemon knows how to properly cook a pork butt on the smoker

BuckyIsAB****
05-28-2023, 08:44 PM

Yawn. Did Bunko take over a powerhouse and wreck it? Did Bunko own multiple school record losing streaks? Idk why you wanna die on this hill but I hope you?re right.

schddog72
05-28-2023, 08:49 PM

Seems strange to me, though, that very rarely do any of the other teams listed above backslide as badly as we've done the last two years. Vandy, UPig, LSU, Uf - name your team. None of them have gone from the big house to the out house on the scale or in as dramatic fashion as we have over two seasons. It just hasn't happened. Consistency has been the trademark of the top tier SEC programs. We have a coach who's never had to coach to that level because he's never been anywhere that has that level of expectation. Hence, he doesn't know how to coach to that standard.

BuckyIsAB****
05-28-2023, 08:50 PM
Seems strange to me, though, that very rarely do any of the other teams listed above backslide as badly as we've done the last two years. Vandy, UPig, LSU, Uf - name your team. None of them have gone from the big house to the out house on the scale or in as dramatic fashion as we have over two seasons. It just hasn't happened. Consistency has been the trademark of the top tier SEC programs. We have a coach who's never had to coach to that level because he's never been anywhere that has that level of expectation. Hence, he doesn't know how to coach to that standard.

Arkansas had a bad year in 2016 will be the response. Dont think it applies much but its coming

viverlibre
05-28-2023, 08:51 PM
Bottom line had we signed Skeens, we'd be hosting.

BuckyIsAB****
05-28-2023, 08:54 PM

Maybe we asked him to catch pitch hit and play 3B. Bc that was all a disaster

Dawgface
05-28-2023, 09:24 PM
We're mad about this season and we were 4 games away from making the NCAA's. 4 short in a 53 game schedule. Says alot

Eight hosting and we're nowhere to be found. Btw.....we're mad about 2 straight shit years.

MagicDawg
05-28-2023, 09:27 PM
It turns my stomach not to see State on that list. It's unnatural.

SPMT
05-28-2023, 09:41 PM
Eight hosting and we're nowhere to be found. Btw.....we're mad about 2 straight shit years.

I feel no guilt over being pissed. Lemonis has done a shit job the last 2 years. That?s facts. I?m fine if he hit fired I?m fine that he didn?t. He clearly has ability in certain areas.

CaptainObvious
05-28-2023, 09:55 PM
Tulane qualified with a 19-40 record.

Looks like Ball State will be in a Regional. Dohm should have stayed.

Notre Dame probably not. Oklahoma probably not. Arizona State maybe not.

Lemonis old team Indiana is in. Oh, and Ledbetter?s old team probably is in.

msstate7
05-28-2023, 09:59 PM
C34 going to bat for an underperforming HC. You owe leach an apology

the_real_MSU_is_us
05-28-2023, 10:25 PM

If bianco misses Hoover a 2nd year in a row he'll be fired

But he won't, because he's an actual decent coach, and decent coaches fix their teams flaws.

Thats kind of the point... Lemonis missed Hoover and did... what exactly to improve the team?

The Federalist Engineer
05-28-2023, 11:34 PM

They were closer to getting 4 more run-rules than 4 more SEC wins. MSU hasn't had seasons this bad back-to-back since the Polk 2.0 disaster. Bucket is only around because his contract is too big to flush just yet.

Those 4 wins had to be quality SEC wins. Beating VMI, ULM, Arizona St, and Ohio State were not going to save a 9-21 SEC team.

The Federalist Engineer
05-28-2023, 11:41 PM

If you pay Cam Newton, instead of just snitching, you win a football title.

If you just beat shitty Syracuse, you probably beat the brakes off Kentucky in 96.

In baseball, you don't need a 1.2M coach. Get Nick M with Tommy White and Skenes well paid, you have enough team for a title.

HoopsDawg
05-29-2023, 12:31 AM

Pretty sure he had a lobotomy on his sabbatical

EdwardDrayton
05-29-2023, 03:15 AM
They were closer to getting 4 more run-rules than 4 more SEC wins. MSU hasn't had seasons this bad back-to-back since the Polk 2.0 disaster. Bucket is only around because his contract is too big to flush just yet.

Those 4 wins had to be quality SEC wins. Beating VMI, ULM, Arizona St, and Ohio State were not going to save a 9-21 SEC team.

Too big a contract and Zac played his new guy safe move, which was no move. Everybody wants to be a beast until it's time to do what beasts do.

Leeshouldveflanked
05-29-2023, 06:24 AM

But he won't, because he's an actual decent coach, and decent coaches fix their teams flaws.

Thats kind of the point... Lemonis missed Hoover and did... what exactly to improve the team?
Bianco should have sent Lane Forsythe a check in 2022. If we hadn?t pitched Forsythe in Governors cup, Ole Miss would have missed the NCAA tournament and Bianco would have been fired.

Pancho
05-29-2023, 06:34 AM
Well, that was probably something foxhall talked Lemo into doing.***********

BuckyIsAB****
05-29-2023, 07:56 AM

Bang bang. Leach was never, ever, this bad. And never would have been

Offshore Dawg
05-29-2023, 08:07 AM

And unless State gets more money into NIL, that will be the standard. State baseball will be having the same results in SEC baseball going forward as they have had in football. State had better records in the past when the big boys were not that interested in Baseball

smootness
05-29-2023, 08:09 AM
Correct, half the conference is hosting and we were FOUR games away from even making the Tournament. So not close.

DownwardDawg
05-29-2023, 11:57 AM

It's very odd

DownwardDawg
05-29-2023, 11:58 AM

It makes me want Lemonis fired even more. Sickening.

EdwardDrayton
05-29-2023, 12:21 PM
It makes me want Lemonis fired even more. Sickening.

And next year we'll finish 9th or 10th in the SEC because, let's face it, even an orangutan can't finish last or next to last three years running. Then we'll hear about how we've improved and we were only two wins away from being somebody.

Pancho
05-29-2023, 03:56 PM
Selmon will have a decision looming by mid april of 24

viverlibre
05-29-2023, 04:02 PM
And unless State gets more money into NIL, that will be the standard. State baseball will be having the same results in SEC baseball going forward as they have had in football. State had better records in the past when the big boys were not that interested in Baseball

I know nothing about the portal, NIL or our finances (I do the $10/month contribution), but I'm assuming whoever runs the collectives at the Barn, OM and LSU is willing to roll around in the mud and play dirty, I don't think Charlie Winfield is that type guy.

EdwardDrayton
05-29-2023, 04:36 PM
I know nothing about the portal, NIL or our finances (I do the $10/month contribution), but I'm assuming whoever runs the collectives at the Barn, OM and LSU is willing to roll around in the mud and play dirty, I don't think Charlie Winfield is that type guy.

Don't think there are any rules anymore. Well, except maybe unwritten ones: don't draw any attention and keep everything close to the vest. He who has the most money wins.

the_real_MSU_is_us
05-29-2023, 05:01 PM
I don't think we have the money to "play dirty" even if we wanted too. Our NIL is going g to keeping studs like Tolu from leaving and getting veterans back for a final year (Bookie Watson, Hancock)
There is no money left for HS or portal guys. At least, bit enough to outbid a competitor. "Why is our football recruiting so bad?? The top MS guys are going to Arky and OM!" Yeah well, their boosters are contributing enough to offer NIL. So top DL are going to OM instead of the school that puts DL in the league. It's not that complicated

YazooDawg23
05-29-2023, 07:55 PM
It?s hard to make such drastic moves in a non revenue sport. We won a natty two years ago and baseball is not a big enough deal to fire a coach 2 years after winning a natty.

SPMT
05-29-2023, 08:34 PM
It?s hard to make such drastic moves in a non revenue sport. We won a natty two years ago and baseball is not a big enough deal to fire a coach 2 years after winning a natty.

1. I dont believe we aren?t a producing profit in baseball. I imagine currently there is interest expense being charged for the new stadium. LSU makes money in baseball we put as many in as they do. When that debt is paid down we will be substantially profitable.

2. At the end of the day, who gives a 17 about profit, baseball is our only chance at natty?s. And I don?t believe winning in baseball at a very high level hurts the school in anyway. In fact, I question why we don?t maximize it more. If we were good or had any chance games would have even more fans there.

3. It is absolutely pathetic that we aren?t hosting this year. Im fine giving Lemonis another year, but would?ve been happy with firing him. My gut says we should?ve fired him. He?s a really good manager but looks clueless at evaluation.

Coach34
05-30-2023, 12:01 AM
It's very odd

It?s pretty simple and I don?t see why people don?t get it.

He won a Natty
2022- we had arms blow up and eliminated any chance of a good season. So to me- 2022 didn?t even count.
2023- really poor pitching and some injuries again. Fired pitching coach. Proper response
2024- better make the NCAA Tourney or his ass is fired

This isn?t hard

Todd4State
05-30-2023, 01:34 AM
Yawn. Did Bunko take over a powerhouse and wreck it? Did Bunko own multiple school record losing streaks? Idk why you wanna die on this hill but I hope you?re right.

We may have to revisit this post next year. Ole Miss is losing a LOT this offseason. I think they're in worse shape than us at the moment honestly.

Bianco and Lemonis is a completely different situation. Bianco is their best coach ever. That's going to give him as much leeway as Lemonis if not more. He's going to retire from there- likely in a couple of years or so. Them firing Bianco would be like us firing Ron Polk. I kind of hope they do fire him- the backlash from the baseball community would be awesome.

Bianco should have sent Lane Forsythe a check in 2022. If we hadn?t pitched Forsythe in Governors cup, Ole Miss would have missed the NCAA tournament and Bianco would have been fired.
That was one of the dumbest moves I've ever seen in my life. Cost us like a six year win streak in the Governor's Cup also.

He won a Natty
2022- we had arms blow up and eliminated any chance of a good season. So to me- 2022 didn?t even count.
2023- really poor pitching and some injuries again. Fired pitching coach. Proper response

This isn?t hard

It really is. It's confusing to me as well. Add in the buyout, optics, and recruiting classes coming in- it really does make sense. I can understand being mad too. But the answer to the solution isn't to always fire the coach immediately. And that's what some people don't seem to get. Lemonis is highly dependent on the performance of his assistants and if they suck we're going to suck. And if he doesn't perform and we have to fire him at least we can say that we gave him every opportunity to fix the situation and that will go a long way with candidates in the future. Baseball coaches are a lot more analytical as a group and a lot of them are Ok being Scott Berry and being seen as a good coach with some conference titles and no National Championships if it's a good fit for them and their family is happy.

the_real_MSU_is_us
05-30-2023, 04:19 AM

He won a Natty

This isn?t hard

2023: Just going to ignore our #10 scoring offense or #14 defense or bad management (NIL ro bad players, misevaluating Hancock's ability at catcher, misevaluating what we had at 3B)?

the_real_MSU_is_us
05-30-2023, 04:23 AM
2023: Just going to ignore our #10 scoring offense or #14 defense or bad management (NIL ro bad players, misevaluating Hancock's ability at catcher, misevaluating what we had at 3B)?

"Make the tourney or his ass is fired"

That's the problem. "Making the tournament" is such a low bar but of he makes it well keep him for yet another below average year. Hell, ove rhalf the SEC is hosting... just "making the tournament" means we'd be below average. I'm not happy woth being below average in baseball, are you? But that's exactly what we'll be endorsing if making the tournament as a 2 seed is enough to keep him.

Todd4State
05-30-2023, 01:22 PM
"Make the tourney or his ass is fired"

That's the problem. "Making the tournament" is such a low bar but of he makes it well keep him for yet another below average year. Hell, ove rhalf the SEC is hosting... just "making the tournament" means we'd be below average. I'm not happy woth being below average in baseball, are you? But that's exactly what we'll be endorsing if making the tournament as a 2 seed is enough to keep him.

Odds are if we're making a regional we're a two seed. Odds are we will win a regional even if we are a two seed unless we get a really shit draw.

the_real_MSU_is_us
05-30-2023, 02:29 PM
Odds are if we're making a regional we're a two seed. Odds are we will win a regional even if we are a two seed unless we get a really shit draw.

Lol where are you getting these "odds" from, Todd? Your ass?

We have missed Hoover 2 straight years. Yet here you are saying "odds are we will be a 2 seed and win a regional baring bad luck"??! WTF? We can't be among the top 12 SEC teams but sure, in the regular season well be among the top 32 teams and in the postseason well wina regional and make the final 16. Give me a break... or at least pass me what you're smokin

Quaoarsking
05-30-2023, 03:47 PM

He won a Natty

This isn?t hard

You and Todd agreed with most of us a few weeks ago. In fact, I argued with both of you that you were being too hard on Lemonis (I wanted to fire him too, but didn't agree with the stupid cutesy nicknames or refuse to give him credit for the '21 title). So spare us with the "This isn't hard" garbage when you very visibly changed your mind about this subject.

Todd4State
05-30-2023, 06:49 PM
Lol where are you getting these "odds" from, Todd? Your ass?

We have missed Hoover 2 straight years. Yet here you are saying "odds are we will be a 2 seed and win a regional baring bad luck"??! WTF? We can't be among the top 12 SEC teams but sure, in the regular season well be among the top 32 teams and in the postseason well wina regional and make the final 16. Give me a break... or at least pass me what you're smokin

The odds are coming from recent trends. If you're a good SEC team and you make the postseason odds are good that you will host. And if you don't host and make a regional odds are you will be a two seed if you're in the SEC.

Over half the league is hosting this year. A top 10 finish in the SEC likely means we're a 2 seed.

Look at the bracket.

BuckyIsAB****
05-30-2023, 07:01 PM
Selmon will have a decision looming by mid april of 24

We have already made our bed

BuckyIsAB****
05-30-2023, 07:05 PM
We may have to revisit this post next year. Ole Miss is losing a LOT this offseason. I think they're in worse shape than us at the moment honestly.

Bianco and Lemonis is a completely different situation. Bianco is their best coach ever. That's going to give him as much leeway as Lemonis if not more. He's going to retire from there- likely in a couple of years or so. Them firing Bianco would be like us firing Ron Polk. I kind of hope they do fire him- the backlash from the baseball community would be awesome.

That was one of the dumbest moves I've ever seen in my life. Cost us like a six year win streak in the Governor's Cup also.

It really is. It's confusing to me as well. Add in the buyout, optics, and recruiting classes coming in- it really does make sense. I can understand being mad too. But the answer to the solution isn't to always fire the coach immediately. And that's what some people don't seem to get. Lemonis is highly dependent on the performance of his assistants and if they suck we're going to suck. And if he doesn't perform and we have to fire him at least we can say that we gave him every opportunity to fix the situation and that will go a long way with candidates in the future. Baseball coaches are a lot more analytical as a group and a lot of them are Ok being Scott Berry and being seen as a good coach with some conference titles and no National Championships if it's a good fit for them and their family is happy.

So now its ok bc we are one spot Better than a last place OM team. I thought we said the standard hasnt dropped?

BuckyIsAB****
05-30-2023, 07:06 PM

He won a Natty

This isn?t hard

But Leaches 2020 counted? 2022 was year 4 of Lemonis and this was 5. The longer he has been here with his guys the worse we have been.

the_real_MSU_is_us
05-30-2023, 07:37 PM
But Leaches 2020 counted? 2022 was year 4 of Lemonis and this was 5. The longer he has been here with his guys the worse we have been.

He's also ignoring our offense was #10 and the defense #14. He and Todd want to pin all blame on the pitching. Like yeah that's our biggest problem, but our issues in other areas still mean our ceiling is capped.

Quaoarsking
05-30-2023, 08:07 PM
Losing Sims hurt a lot in 2022, but what did it really cost us? Maybe we win 5 more SEC games and get to 14-16? That may not even be enough to get us in, as our SOS was much worse and brought down our RPI.

I've seen people say that without the Sims injury, we host, which seems kinda crazy. Remember that in 2014 we went 18-12 and that wasn't enough to host with our RPI, and the SOS was worse in 2022, so we probably needed 20-10 or so to host. Would having Sims really win us 11 more SEC games? Seems doubtful. Granted, it would have affected every game, not just Friday nights, but still, pitching would have been a weakness and I doubt he would have gone 10-0.

It's also interesting how this talking point was never really raised at all in 2022. Sure, we missed Sims, but I don't recall anyone ever claiming that we would've hosted without Sims's injury last year. I don't think anyone really made that argument until pretty late into 2023 when people started rewriting history into a Lemonis apologetic. Personally, I don't think it's a guarantee that we make a Regional at all if Sims doesn't get hurt, but I do think we probably barely get one.

Coach34
05-30-2023, 09:20 PM

Leach had a solid last season. Beat Mississippi, won 8...just couldnt hang on at LSU or get something going vs Kentucky. Had a team that was ready to win a bowl game for a 9th win. Beating a rival for his last game is fantastic.

Coach34
05-30-2023, 09:22 PM
Losing Sims hurt a lot in 2022, but what did it really cost us? Maybe we win 5 more SEC games and get to 14-16? That may not even be enough to get us in, as our SOS was much worse and brought down our RPI.

I've seen people say that without the Sims injury, we host, which seems kinda crazy. Remember that in 2014 we went 18-12 and that wasn't enough to host with our RPI, and the SOS was worse in 2022, so we probably needed 20-10 or so to host. Would having Sims really win us 11 more SEC games? Seems doubtful. Granted, it would have affected every game, not just Friday nights, but still, pitching would have been a weakness and I doubt he would have gone 10-0.

It's also interesting how this talking point was never really raised at all in 2022. Sure, we missed Sims, but I don't recall anyone ever claiming that we would've hosted without Sims's injury last year. I don't think anyone really made that argument until pretty late into 2023 when people started rewriting history into a Lemonis apologetic. Personally, I don't think it's a guarantee that we make a Regional at all if Sims doesn't get hurt, but I do think we probably barely get one.

We didnt just lose Sims- we lost Simmons and then Auger. Then Stinnett. We counted on Sims and Simmons to throw major innings in 2022

Todd4State
05-30-2023, 09:59 PM
So now its ok bc we are one spot Better than a last place OM team. I thought we said the standard hasnt dropped?

Where did I say that?

I'm much more worried about us at the moment. Reality is we're going to have to rely on the portal less than they are and whether Lemonis last year is next year or not we're in much better shape no matter how you cut it.

Todd4State
05-30-2023, 10:05 PM
You and Todd agreed with most of us a few weeks ago. In fact, I argued with both of you that you were being too hard on Lemonis (I wanted to fire him too, but didn't agree with the stupid cutesy nicknames or refuse to give him credit for the '21 title). So spare us with the "This isn't hard" garbage when you very visibly changed your mind about this subject.

Most of the season I said let the season play out. The only time I thought Lemonis was in any real trouble was after the Arkansas series- which I believe was about the same time Coach34 said he was in trouble. That talk cooled down before LSU. I also said that if we lost out again he would be gone and should have been. There was a possibility that could have happened- but it didn't. We went 3-3 in our last six SEC games with a decimated pitching staff and no pitching coach and it was clear he did not lose the team.

There was only so much he could fix in real time this year because we don't have a minor league in college baseball and we can't trade for players like a MLB team can. Going forward he has to fix it because the opportunity to fix it is there. Starting with the pitching coach hire and then adding what we can through the portal. Adding players that can perform and adding a coach that can maximize our pitchers is the only way out of this.

The Federalist Engineer
05-30-2023, 10:19 PM

Coach34, you and Todd-Against-State betrayed us all when you did not fire Buckets on May 21, how could yall ***

The Federalist Engineer
05-30-2023, 10:36 PM
We didnt just lose Sims- we lost Simmons and then Auger. Then Stinnett. We counted on Sims and Simmons to throw major innings in 2022

You can't just harp on injuries when all teams have them. What about the horrible development and recruiting. Got nothing from huge recruits like Fristoe, Tepper, or Walker. Not just a little bad, these dudes were dog meat and left. Then you have totally useless players like Walling recruited and making the team. Then zero development or role developed for KC Hunt or Stinnett. Then the mysterius Lefty Tullar, who left-handed SEC hitters hit 400 against. Butch's busts recruits would be starters today, even in his worst days the pre-Batman Girodo was never bad as Walling or KC Hunt. Vance Tatum and Girodo had sub 6 ERAs in their worst seasons.

BuckyIsAB****
05-30-2023, 11:49 PM
Leach had a solid last season. Beat Mississippi, won 8...just couldnt hang on at LSU or get something going vs Kentucky. Had a team that was ready to win a bowl game for a 9th win. Beating a rival for his last game is fantastic.

I understand all that. But the point is to defend Lemon while bashing Leach is pretty contradictory. It?s not even close. The football program culture is 1000000000 times better than baseball.

BuckyIsAB****
05-30-2023, 11:51 PM
Where did I say that?

I'm much more worried about us at the moment. Reality is we're going to have to rely on the portal less than they are and whether Lemonis last year is next year or not we're in much better shape no matter how you cut it.

I thought you tagged me and specifically said we are better than OM. Like that is an achievement at this point