PDA

View Full Version : 1st pitching transfer commits to State

Coach34
05-28-2023, 10:30 AM
https://twitter.com/njlambo__/status/1662835060678983680

Patrick Tibbons
05-28-2023, 10:52 AM
Watch out SEC, we?re pulling D2 players from the portal. Does MC or Belhaven have anyone we can poach?

State82
05-28-2023, 11:01 AM
I have to admit, never heard of Young Harris College. 3.53 era, 89 innings, 90 strikeouts, 28 walks. No idea what to make of it.

Tripp McNeely
05-28-2023, 11:03 AM
Committed to Clemson out of HS. Was actually the #2 LHP in the state that year according to PG. Gotta love the potential!

TNDawg35
05-28-2023, 11:13 AM
He won’t be the last. Already rumblings of someone out West wanting to come home…

the_real_MSU_is_us
05-28-2023, 11:44 AM
Couple points:

1) C34, you can hype Lemonis and this next season all you want but nobody is buying because our head coach is in over his head.

2) this guy has a ok ERA but at several levels of competition down. Almost every pitcher on our staff would have a sub 3 ERA at a D2 level. He may be a stud but I'll have to see it.

3) who is doing these pitching evals? We have no PC so it must be Lemonis. I do not trust his eye for pitching for obvious reasons.

4) Every SEC team will add portal transfers. We need a LOT, and they need to be studs. Lot of ground to make up; just seeing portal transfers in and of itself doesn't mean we're going to make up ground on the competition as they're adding guys too.

Let's hope this guy is a stud. Hailstate

BuckyIsAB****
05-28-2023, 11:51 AM
Couple points:

1) C34, you can hype Lemonis and this next season all you want but nobody is buying because our head coach is in over his head.

2) this guy has a ok ERA but at several levels of competition down. Almost every pitcher on our staff would have a sub 3 ERA at a D2 level. He may be a stud but I'll have to see it.

3) who is doing these pitching evals? We have no PC so it must be Lemonis. I do not trust his eye for pitching for obvious reasons.

1 is the biggest point that nobody is talking about. People dont realize the hole Lemon and staff are in. The first time something bad happens the boo birds will be out. And deservedly so

AlSwearengen
05-28-2023, 11:51 AM
Do we officially unofficially have a pitching coach? I can’t imagine how we can take a pitcher that might be categorized as a “reach” without a pitching coach looking at or knowing him. Not knocking the kid and he may end up being good, but on the surface, a bunch of these types of transfers aren’t going to save Lemonis’ job.

State82
05-28-2023, 11:52 AM
One positive is that Lamb had 3.8 walks/hbp per 9 innings. Our staff as a whole had 7.7 this season.

ZedFedder
05-28-2023, 12:51 PM
Look, I?m hopeful with a new PC we will be much improved. But a guy with a 3.53 ERA in D2 is not going to move the needle. Perhaps he is coming on as a walk-on, and if so, then it?s a great pickup. But if we are using any scholarship or NIL $ on this pickup, then it?s not money spent wisely.

Saltydog
05-28-2023, 12:57 PM
Color me unimpressed. Looks like another Tyler Davis and we know how that turned out.

AROB44
05-28-2023, 01:02 PM
Typical message board response......trash a player before anyone knows anything about him.

SpaceWranglerDawg
05-28-2023, 01:03 PM
Time will tell...at least they're getting pitchers. Have to start somewhere. The league is littered with kids that went to D2 players....JD Martinez, Pillar, Mikolas, Gomes...not saying he's the next Tim Wakefield, but don't write him off because he went D2.

Todd4State
05-28-2023, 01:20 PM
Pitching version of Will Hoyle.

We'll see if he makes the team or not this fall.

gtowndawg
05-28-2023, 01:30 PM
https://media3.giphy.com/media/M34qPW6WjtZXMFltwu/giphy.gif

Cowbell
05-28-2023, 01:41 PM

The pitching version of Will Hoyle would have got PT for us this year.

Coach34
05-28-2023, 02:41 PM

Dont forget that rosters are likely expanding

Leeshouldveflanked
05-28-2023, 02:46 PM
If he can throw strikes he is better than 75% of the current roster. We need a couple of guys that can burn through some innings in middle relief

SpaceWranglerDawg
05-28-2023, 02:53 PM
If he can throw strikes he is better than 75% of the current roster. We need a couple of guys that can burn through some innings in middle relief

Exactly. It's almost if some of these folks don't believe there's a chance we could obtain some more talent....it's amazing the talent we have on this board in analyzing what somebody will be.

Commercecomet24
05-28-2023, 02:58 PM
Don't be so hasty in your judgement on this kid. I've seen him pitch and there's a reason he was ranked so highly coming out of high school. The guy throws strikes and has good command. His change up is plus and his fastball while not 100+mph has good life and he sinks it well. I doubt he's gonna be Eric Dubose but he won't walk people and I can see him have a valuable middle relief role. Think Brock Tapper as a comp.

Leroy Jenkins
05-28-2023, 03:03 PM
https://twitter.com/njlambo__/status/1662835060678983680

6'5" 230 lefty. There is some potential there if we have someone who can work with him.

The Federalist Engineer
05-28-2023, 03:42 PM
6'5" 230 lefty. There is some potential there if we have someone who can work with him.

He's smaller than Graham Enema, just throwing a stat out there. But that does not mean that this dude will also be dead roster spot with +10 SEC ERA. Key difference is that he's a senior and 23 years old. Peaking into stats for this profile of player, they do alright. Kentucky had a little school stud last year and Duke has many Ivy transfers that became good in the ACC.

More a variable than his previous school, this dude could have overcome arm health issues and kept on chasing the dream. He did get recruited and offered by Clemson as a teenager. The 2nd highest rated recruit in South Carolina and all the players around him in the top-8 recruits were drafted. So it was not a low talent field in South Carolina.

Activated Alpha
05-28-2023, 03:59 PM
Couple points:

4) Every SEC team will add portal transfers. We need a LOT, and they need to be studs. Lot of ground to make up; just seeing portal transfers in and of itself doesn't mean we're going to make up ground on the competition as they're adding guys too.

I wouldn't say that our head coach who managed teams that went to multiple CWS and a natty is necessarily "in over his head." Now does he have some massive work to do? Yes. Is he capable of building a team like the ones he managed? We shall see. His recruiting tells me that we would get some really good players to get us back to that standard

Quaoarsking
05-28-2023, 04:01 PM
If he was recruited/offered by Clemson, how did he end up at D2? Did he just stop performing well or was it off-the-field issues? And why did he fall so far to the D2 level, as opposed to something like the ASun or Socon?

KOdawg1
05-28-2023, 04:02 PM
I'm fine with him if he's not taking up much NIL or scholarship money.

He's a solid walk on type player that's worth taking a chance on. He's not gonna come in and be a weekend starter.

Saltydog
05-28-2023, 04:28 PM
Pitch to contact........I'm going to guess a lof of hard contact too.......

mparkerfd20
05-28-2023, 04:31 PM
Meh

schddog72
05-28-2023, 04:41 PM
Committed to Clemson out of HS. Was actually the #2 LHP in the state that year according to PG. Gotta love the potential!

The kid is from my neck of the woods up here in SC, but I don't keep up with HS baseball up here. He may have been highly rated coming out of HS, but where he played is about the equivalent of class 2a in MS, so the level of HS competition should have been considered in context.

BrunswickDawg
05-28-2023, 05:13 PM
Don't be so hasty in your judgement on this kid. I've seen him pitch and there's a reason he was ranked so highly coming out of high school. The guy throws strikes and has good command. His change up is plus and his fastball while not 100+mph has good life and he sinks it well. I doubt he's gonna be Eric Dubose but he won't walk people and I can see him have a valuable middle relief role. Think Brock Tapper as a comp.

Young Harris traditionally has a decent program too. I'd look at this more like a kid who went juco than D2. Heck, there a number of D2 schools in GA that if their best player wanted to transfer I'd take them - Valdosta & Georgia College have strong programs. Kennesaw was damn good back when they were in D2.

msstate7
05-28-2023, 05:14 PM

Maybe. Sec hitters can hit strikes though... gotta have good movement

bulldogcountry1
05-28-2023, 05:40 PM
Seems like we would have the new PC before taking on projects.

I am sure this guy is excited, but the staff needs to read the room a little. Lemonis just had to talk his way out of getting fired. The next news out of the program needed to be something encouraging for the fanbase.

CaptainObvious
05-28-2023, 05:46 PM
Seems like we would have the new PC before taking on projects.

I am sure this guy is excited, but the staff needs to read the room a little. Lemonis just had to talk his way out of getting fired. The next news out of the program needed to be something encouraging for the fanbase.

I am sure that is why the baseball haters who post in here have been trying to get the rest of us to focus on anything else like Disc Golf and Javelin throwers.

MaroonFlounder
05-28-2023, 06:39 PM
Level of competition has been ridiculously weak.

SEC hitters will likely carve this guy up

Coach34
05-28-2023, 06:48 PM
Lemonis just had to talk his way out of getting fired.

Nahhhh he didnt. We werent making a HC change at any point this season.

TALL DAWG
05-28-2023, 06:50 PM
And, Roy Oswalt pitched at a 1 or 2 A school in the Sipp. #YouNeverKnow

99jc
05-28-2023, 07:31 PM

Eric Cerentola approves of this post!

Coach34
05-28-2023, 07:42 PM
Eric Cerentola approves of this post!

Cerentola was Canadian and couldnt throw strikes. This guy pitches. Is he talented enough I dont know- but he didnt walk many and that shows he has command-something Cerentola never had

State82
05-28-2023, 07:43 PM
And, Roy Oswalt pitched at a 1 or 2 A school in the Sipp. #YouNeverKnow
Yep. You cannot put a lot of stock in the school size. Hunter Renfroe, Eric Dubose, Roy Oswalt, and on and on. If God gifts you with a thunderbolt for a right/left arm it matters not where you go to high school.

CovertDawg
05-28-2023, 08:26 PM
Nate Lamb's Coach at Young Harris is Stephen Waggener (aka Coach Waggs). Waggs was raised in the Jackson area and comes from a Mississippi State family. He runs a great program at Young Harris and spent many years as an assistant at Delta State prior to taking the head job at Young Harris.

Coach34
05-28-2023, 08:28 PM
Nate Lamb's Coach at Young Harris is Stephen Waggener (aka Coach Waggs). Waggs was raised in the Jackson area and comes from a Mississippi State family. He runs a great program at Young Harris and spent many years as an assistant at Delta State prior to taking the head job at Young Harris.

So he is sending his best pitcher to us. Gotta love that

basedog
05-28-2023, 08:45 PM
Kinda weird to me, a pitcher coming not knowing who his pitching Coach will be. Maybe he is a MSU fan at heart, regardless right now we need pitchers, lots of pitchers. My question about pitchers hurt and having surgery, What they will be coming back. I’m pulling for all to be 100% and we get back to MSU baseball. The thing about next year is we don’t need to get off to a slow start.

TNDawg35
05-28-2023, 09:51 PM
Kinda weird to me, a pitcher coming not knowing who his pitching Coach will be. Maybe he is a MSU fan at heart, regardless right now we need pitchers, lots of pitchers. My question about pitchers hurt and having surgery, What they will be coming back. I’m pulling for all to be 100% and we get back to MSU baseball. The thing about next year is we don’t need to get off to a slow start.

It may possibly be we have a pitching coach, and he isn’t through playing, but accepted the job per say, and the kids already know… (I may be wrong, but I may also be right)

basedog
05-28-2023, 10:33 PM
It may possibly be we have a pitching coach, and he isn’t through playing, but accepted the job per say, and the kids already know… (I may be wrong, but I may also be right)

As we know, there is rumor we made offer and he has said yes.

We have many questions going into next year, let’s hope we come out on fire. We have at least4 everyday position players to replace and lord knows our pitching staff is very iffy right now.

With Todd and 34 pumping sunshine I hope they are right, but I’m still iffy.

Offshore Dawg
05-29-2023, 08:14 AM

Base if they start out slow I'm afraid it will continue to go downhill and resemble the last two seasons. Dawgs must get better players, or State's baseball records in the SEC will look like their football records.

SpaceWranglerDawg
05-29-2023, 08:37 AM

Same as Dortch committing to Cal when they didn't have a QB...guess for some reason they both just thought the situation was better regardless of who filled in there.

Tbonewannabe
05-29-2023, 09:52 AM

Not everybody has to be a starter or closer. We need guys for the middle innings and midweek.

ZedFedder
05-29-2023, 10:05 AM
Not everybody has to be a starter or closer. We need guys for the middle innings and midweek.

Truth. I?ll be more than happy to let this guy be our SWAC pitcher.

ZedFedder
05-29-2023, 10:09 AM
Perhaps a good comparison would be to look at Xavier Rivas at Ole Miss this year. He had a 2.80 ERA at the University of Indianapolis as a sophomore. They are D2 I believe. This year for Ole Miss he had a 6.75 ERA.

Coach34
05-29-2023, 10:15 AM
Perhaps a good comparison would be to look at Xavier Rivas at Ole Miss this year. He had a 2.80 ERA at the University of Indianapolis as a sophomore. They are D2 I believe. This year for Ole Miss he had a 6.75 ERA.

Half the SEC had staff ERA's over 6 in conference play

smootness
05-29-2023, 10:16 AM

Oh, cool, so good news that we?re bringing in more of those guys!

msstate7
05-29-2023, 10:20 AM

Pretty sure the Rivas era was all games

msstate7
05-29-2023, 10:29 AM
Taking a pitcher without a pitching coach sorta implies lemonis is much more involved in pitching roster selection than implied by those that blamed everything on foxhall

Coach34
05-29-2023, 10:31 AM
Taking a pitcher without a pitching coach sorta implies lemonis is much more involved in pitching roster selection than implied by those that blamed everything on foxhall

Oh there is no doubt Lemon has made some bad choices. He has one last chance to fix it

msstate7
05-29-2023, 10:38 AM
Oh there is no doubt Lemon has made some bad choices. He has one last chance to fix it

Of course he was involved. The ones blaming it all on foxhall are nuts. I'm fine with firing foxhall, but he wasn't the only problem

Coach34
05-29-2023, 10:46 AM
Of course he was involved. The ones blaming it all on foxhall are nuts. I'm fine with firing foxhall, but he wasn't the only problem

No- but the pitch-calling and the way we handled pitchers changed a little after Fox was let go. So that shows he was a large part of the problem

basedog
05-29-2023, 01:06 PM
Good HC wouldn't have waiting almost two full years to see their was a major problem. Sometimes a HC has to take control and let the assistant sit on the bucket. It should have been handled before he fired Foxhall. You think someone like Bertman, Saban, Knight and many others would sit back and watch the ship sink! Hell no!

Todd4State
05-29-2023, 01:37 PM

This makes sense to me. Sounds like his coach wants to get his foot in the door with us. Which means I doubt he is going to send us a lemon.

Todd4State
05-29-2023, 01:39 PM
Pretty sure the Rivas era was all games

Rivas was billed as a weekend starter for Ole Miss. That's not necessarily the case with this guy. He's going to have to earn that.

CaptainObvious
05-29-2023, 01:53 PM
This makes sense to me. Sounds like his coach wants to get his foot in the door with us. Which means I doubt he is going to send us a lemon.

ISWYDT

viverlibre
05-29-2023, 05:07 PM

Who is our "rumored" new pitching coach?

sandjunky
05-29-2023, 07:18 PM
Who is our "rumored" new pitching coach?
OSU cowboys pc