PDA

View Full Version : I doubt there's going to be a bowl-eligible 5th place AAC for BBVA Compass, so...

blacklistedbully
11-30-2013, 10:29 PM
SMU likely to get beat by UCF, and I wouldn't bet on Rutgers beating USF at this point. They are the only 2 teams that could finish 6-6 for 5th place, and both need to win their last game to get there.

Assuming neither wins and qualifies, who are we looking at?:

Arky State
WKU
NC
Maryland
East Carolina
Oregon State (long way for them)

Who would you want to play?

Dawg61
11-30-2013, 10:34 PM
I want to play Louisiana-Lafayette.

blacklistedbully
11-30-2013, 10:37 PM
I know it's a long-shot at best, but how cool would it be to face Oregon State, the team we eliminated in the semi's of the CWS?

And it would be sweet to beat the crap outta them after they took Oregon to the wire.

Dawg61
11-30-2013, 10:46 PM
I'd enjoy that matchup and it'd be a good one too. They are 6-6 but better than that record just like us.

Todd4State
11-30-2013, 10:50 PM
Maryland with us wearing the Snow Bowl uniforms.

Dawg61
11-30-2013, 10:51 PM
Maryland with us wearing the Snow Bowl uniforms.

Snow chromed helmets?

CadaverDawg
11-30-2013, 10:51 PM
I know it's a long-shot at best, but how cool would it be to face Oregon State, the team we eliminated in the semi's of the CWS?

And it would be sweet to beat the crap outta them after they took Oregon to the wire.

The Genespagers would love to beat Oregon State. #NumberTwoRival

Todd4State
11-30-2013, 10:52 PM
Snow chromed helmets?

Heck yeah!

BulldogBear
11-30-2013, 10:58 PM
Oregon State so we can still beat black and orange OSU this year and also shut up some of this Pac12 good as the SEC crap on the field head to head.

Political Hack
11-30-2013, 11:16 PM
yeah... we're pretty good at whipping beavers' asses.

CadaverDawg
11-30-2013, 11:22 PM

+1

First Oregon State in baseball, and then Their mascot two days ago in football.

blacklistedbully
11-30-2013, 11:22 PM

:D I see what you did there.

blacklistedbully
11-30-2013, 11:23 PM
Seriously, if the BBVA could pull that off, that could be a really interesting matchup. And they could use the CWS stuff in some of their marketing hype.

Dawg61
11-30-2013, 11:33 PM
Seriously, if the BBVA could pull that off, that could be a really interesting matchup. And they could use the CWS stuff in some of their marketing hype.

We'd get to make fun of their website and pathetic baseball stadium again. Let's schedule them in baseball every season.

Quaoarsking
11-30-2013, 11:49 PM
Rutgers will probably beat South Florida next week to get to 6-6.

But if they don't, there will be a couple ACC teams that are looking, like North Carolina, Pittsburgh, Syracuse, so it would be one of them. We won't have to settle for a MAC or Sun Belt opponent.

CadaverDawg
11-30-2013, 11:51 PM

But if they don't, there will be a couple ACC teams that are looking, like North Carolina, Pittsburgh, Syracuse, so it would be one of them. We won't have to settle for a MAC or Sun Belt opponent.

Give me Rutgers for what should be a win...or the fightin Fedoras If we want to show USM a little taste of what to expect in 2014

Todd4State
11-30-2013, 11:54 PM

Between that group, I'd like North Carolina. We have a lot of 2016 recruits from that state, and it could be an opportunity to make an impression.

Dawg61
11-30-2013, 11:59 PM
Between that group, I'd like North Carolina. We have a lot of 2016 recruits from that state, and it could be an opportunity to make an impression.

Could be a preview of two SEC teams if the SECNetwork gets its wish. The SECNetwork's HQ are in Charlotte btw. Thinks that make you go hmmm...

blacklistedbully
12-01-2013, 12:09 AM

I dunno man. Rutgers has got their ass kicked in 2 of their last 3, including a 41-17 loss to UCF. Though USF's record is much worse, they had more close losses and against some good teams. Against that same UCF team yesterday they only lost 23-20.

Todd4State
12-01-2013, 12:57 AM
I dunno man. Rutgers has got their ass kicked in 2 of their last 3, including a 41-17 loss to UCF. Though USF's record is much worse, they had more close losses and against some good teams. Against that same UCF team yesterday they only lost 23-20.

I'm wondering if they have had a lot of injuries or something.

RougeDawg
12-01-2013, 03:19 AM
Bring on UNC. **** Fedora. He pillaged and plundered a decent program for his own benefit, not giving a shit about who followed him.

Bothrops
12-01-2013, 03:49 AM

Hasn't Pittsburgh been to Birmingham like the last 3 years in a row? For some reason I think we would steamroll them. UNC would be the best matchup for us from that group. Hopefully we'll be nearly 100 percent healthy by then.

BulldogBear
12-01-2013, 05:35 AM
+1

First Oregon State in baseball, and then Their mascot two days ago in football.

Goal!

OurState
12-01-2013, 07:56 AM

Rutgers didn't so much get beat as failed to win. Lots of dropped pick 6's and heir QB was sick. I think you should look at those last few losses as wins.

Todd4State
12-01-2013, 10:38 AM
Rutgers didn't so much get beat as failed to win. Lots of dropped pick 6's and heir QB was sick. I think you should look at those last few losses as wins.

Sounds like they would be a perfect match-up for Ole Miss.

Quaoarsking
12-01-2013, 11:54 AM
Heard that if Rutgers wins next week, the AAC will bump them up a slot and send them to the Pinstripe Bowl in NYC (AAC #4) and send 4th place Houston to Birmingham, just because that would be easier to get to for both fanbases. Makes sense.

CadaverDawg
12-01-2013, 12:05 PM
Heard that if Rutgers wins next week, the AAC will bump them up a slot and send them to the Pinstripe Bowl in NYC (AAC #4) and send 4th place Houston to Birmingham, just because that would be easier to get to for both fanbases. Makes sense.

Yea, I'm hearing and reading between the lines that there is a good chance we will be facing Houston in the BBVA Compass Bowl. Kind of a "meh" matchup if you ask me. But it's a bowl game, so I'm pumped about it

TheRef
12-01-2013, 12:06 PM
Here's my thought, I don't care who we play as long as we win. We're in a Bowl and have a chance to finish with a winning record for the 4th straight year.

Pollodawg
12-01-2013, 02:24 PM
We'll beat Houston. This isn't Kevin Sumlin and Case Keenum's Houston team.

was21
12-01-2013, 03:05 PM
It's kind of strange but my feeling about the Compass Bowl is more enthusiastic than I was about last year's Gator Bowl. It may be because we finished strong this year whereas last year simply sucked.

DanDority
12-01-2013, 03:28 PM
It's kind of strange but my feeling about the Compass Bowl is more enthusiastic than I was about last year's Gator Bowl. It may be because we finished strong this year whereas last year simply sucked.

Me and you both. I couldn't agree more.

Bothrops
12-01-2013, 03:33 PM
Yep agree. We finish this season with a bowl victory.

Pollodawg
12-01-2013, 03:40 PM
Oh yeah. I feel a lot better about this bowl than I did last season. It may just be that we beat the bears this go around or could be that our team finally has the mental toughness and leadership that it lacked all of last season now.

blacklistedbully
12-01-2013, 06:01 PM

Thu, Oct 10 at (8) Louisville L 10-24 --
Sat, Oct 26 Houston L 14-49 --
Sat, Nov 2 Temple W 23-20 --
Sat, Nov 16 Cincinnati L 17-52 --
Thu, Nov 21 at (18) UCF L 17-41 --
Sat, Nov 30 at Connecticut L 17-28

1 win in past 6. 3 of those 5 losses utter blowouts, including 2 blowout losses to unranked teams. 4 of 5 losses by at least 2 TDs. The sole win, a nail-biter over last place, 2-10 Temple. The same Temple team that found a way to lose to FCS Fordham.

Exactly how do you come to the conclusion that we should look at those losses as wins?

Jack Lambert
12-01-2013, 08:19 PM
I would love to get another shot at NC in a bowl game. I think Texas Coach Brown was their head coach last time we played NC in the Peach Bowl. Could be wrong! We should have won the game and lost. I (think) JWS first OC had defected to them after JWS first year. That was a long tim ago.

BulldogBear
12-02-2013, 07:22 AM
I would love to get another shot at NC in a bowl game. I think Texas Coach Brown was their head coach last time we played NC in the Peach Bowl. Could be wrong! We should have won the game and lost. I (think) JWS first OC had defected to them after JWS first year. That was a long tim ago.

We were 2 penalties away from being ahead 28-0 at the half. And lost in the second half due to 2 blocked punts, one of them freakish in that it sailed backwards diagonally thru the air 20-30 yards. Yep... special teams, a real joy at Mississippi State for each generation. I'd love to overlay that UNC game with another one myself.