PDA

View Full Version : Question about SS and 3B fielding

bulldogcountry1
05-23-2023, 02:18 PM
When it comes to SS and 3B, how much of it is repetition and how much is mental? Is the throw more mental than the fielding aspect?

As bad as our fielding % was this year, I'd say 4 of 5 completed plays was an off line throw that required the 1B to stretch or scoop.

Tmjdog
05-23-2023, 02:31 PM
Simple throw to first base from the left side of our infield was inexplicably bad this year. At time I thought Alford was trying to make a play look harder than it was, resulting in a bad throw. At other times, there was no reason for it. I was expecting Alford to be our surprise player this year - didn?t happen. We need a new player at 3rd next year. JMHO.

bulldogcountry1
05-23-2023, 03:19 PM
I don't believe i ever saw him make a standard step and throw to first. If he managed to ever field the ball, there was a spin or sidearm flick over to "first".

Tbonewannabe
05-23-2023, 04:34 PM
I don't believe i ever saw him make a standard step and throw to first. If he managed to ever field the ball, there was a spin or sidearm flick over to "first".

I kept saying this. He would rather look cool slinging it sidearm than make an easy step and throw.

AlSwearengen
05-23-2023, 05:21 PM
Beating a dead horse on the evaluation thing, but I remember hearing how good he was defensively. Once again, we may have a bunch of “practice stars” and they are fooling the coaching staff.

Coach34
05-23-2023, 08:56 PM
Simple-

Alford just isnt very good defensively and is a jackass. He needs to go play 1st base at Georgia Southern
Foreskin let the errors get to his head and he is mentally weak. So it snowballed on him. He needs to go to Delta State and he will enjoy the rest of his college career so much more

viverlibre
05-23-2023, 09:02 PM
Simple-

Alford just isnt very good defensively and is a jackass. He needs to go play 1st base at Georgia Southern
Foreskin let the errors get to his head and he is mentally weak. So it snowballed on him. He needs to go to Delta State and he will enjoy the rest of his college career so much more

I don't know if he can play for Okra. If Kinnison was still HC, he certainly wouldn't.

Tbonewannabe
05-25-2023, 12:43 PM
Simple-

I knew he was done when he let one go under his glove into centerfield and watched Ledbetter run in and pick it up. He didn't even jog after it. If Ledbetter turned an ankle running in then a single becomes a double or triple.

BigDawg81
05-25-2023, 12:55 PM
Need to go look for a true SS. Sure Mershon can play the position but he is better suited to play 2nd. Cup maybe that guy to play SS but I would look in the portal for next year.

Pancho
05-25-2023, 04:55 PM
most of it is the initial footwork that has been a bit flawed at SS and 3rd. Proper footwork results in having a few tenths of a second longer to gather and then throw.