PDA

View Full Version : Jim Brown, dies at 87

BrunswickDawg
05-19-2023, 03:41 PM
The greatest RB in football history AND the greatest college lacrosse player of all time passed today at 87.

Many people don't know this, but he had roots here in coastal GA and was spent part of his youth on St Simons Island. His family home is in an area on the island called Harrington near the famous Bennie's Red Barn restaurant. I got to know one of Brown's daughters when I was working on a project here and got to meet him briefly. Brown's family were direct descendants of Africans who arrived on the Ga coast on the slave ship "Wanderer" in 1858 - a scandalous incident led by Charles Lamar that landed over 400 enslaved Africans on Jekyll Island. I got to talk with Brown and his daughter about this history and their family's time in coastal Georgia. One of the more interesting conversations I've had in my life.

SpaceWranglerDawg
05-20-2023, 12:19 PM
Not as cool as the conversation you had, but when I was in college I worked at the golf course. Billy Stacy (3rd overall pick in the NFL draft for you youngsters who don't know him). He would pick me up a lot of days and get me out of the pro shop, and we'd ride around and "refill water coolers."

He told me the story of Jim Brown ending his NFL career with a knee to the cheek, stated Jim Brown was the only football player that every scared him, said it felt like he was tackling a truck. I never forgot that conversation.

State82
05-20-2023, 12:30 PM
The greatest RB in football history AND the greatest college lacrosse player of all time passed today at 87.

Many people don't know this, but he had roots here in coastal GA and was spent part of his youth on St Simons Island. His family home is in an area on the island called Harrington near the famous Bennie's Red Barn restaurant. I got to know one of Brown's daughters when I was working on a project here and got to meet him briefly. Brown's family were direct descendants of Africans who arrived on the Ga coast on the slave ship "Wanderer" in 1858 - a scandalous incident led by Charles Lamar that landed over 400 enslaved Africans on Jekyll Island. I got to talk with Brown and his daughter about this history and their family's time in coastal Georgia. One of the more interesting conversations I've had in my life.

Now that, is really cool.