PDA

View Full Version : Kendall Rogers weighs in on Lemon

Coach34
05-19-2023, 07:30 AM
https://twitter.com/kendallrogers/status/1659394435967246336?s=46&t=OwYh-8ppYKXqKt8QQD9Mtw

basedog
05-19-2023, 08:05 AM
You must have tweeted Kendall Rogers your cousin Lemonis is safe per your sources**

Glad we won as always, funny how the Bucket Coach is now more involved with on the field managing. Just keep the bucket out of the dugout and we shall see how all this plays forward in the future. I hope I've been wrong about Lemonis, but this year still sucks as last year. Last night was more like Msu Baseball.

Quaoarsking
05-19-2023, 08:06 AM
Thanks for retiring the stupid "Lemonizik" nickname. It just doesn't flow off the tongue. Which syllable even has the accent? 2nd? 3rd? You can't really put it on both but if you don't, it doesn't sound like their names.

sandjunky
05-19-2023, 08:20 AM
Great news

Maybe Jackie can turn it around in year 3

EdwardDrayton
05-19-2023, 08:45 AM
Rogers must have gotten some NILO money ..... name, image, likeness, opinion

PGHBulldogBG
05-19-2023, 09:12 AM
We still need to sweep and home UGA gets swept by LSU. Not sure I see that happening with LSUs current bullpen situation. If Lemonis can sweep and get to Hoover I say give him 1 more year and hopefully he brings in a quality pitching coach.

Saltydog
05-19-2023, 10:09 AM
Gonna take more than a quality p/c. Gonna need a lot of new arms via the portal.

Cooterpoot
05-19-2023, 10:52 AM
He's back for another year of suck. When the portal opens, things are going to get crazy.

Leeshouldveflanked
05-19-2023, 10:54 AM
I think MSU fans think more about how great of a job this is than elite coaches do. No elite coach is going to take this job if Lemonis is fired 2 years after winning a National Championship.

Coach34
05-19-2023, 11:02 AM
I think MSU fans think more about how great of a job this is than elite coaches do. No elite coach is going to take this job if Lemonis is fired 2 years after winning a National Championship.

No elite coach took it before the Natty

StarkVegasSteve
05-19-2023, 11:16 AM

Correct. I mean LSU, with their six national championships struck out on AT LEAST two candidates before landing on Johnson. We have an overinflated sense of how our job is perceived around the country. We are a definitely a top 10 job, but that just does not mean as much in college baseball as it does in basketball or football.

Cooterpoot
05-19-2023, 11:28 AM
No elite coach took it before the Natty

Schlossnagle did want it and he was elite then. His weirdo ass weirded out our weirdo AD though.

TrapGame
05-19-2023, 11:36 AM
The administration cares more about football than baseball (which, frankly, I'm good with). Had Lemon turned in this pathetic coaching effort in football he'd be gone already. We fired a football coach that went 16-8 and beat ole miss two years in a row.

somebodyshotmypaw
05-19-2023, 11:38 AM
Correct. I mean LSU, with their six national championships struck out on AT LEAST two candidates before landing on Johnson. We have an overinflated sense of how our job is perceived around the country. We are a definitely a top 10 job, but that just does not mean as much in college baseball as it does in basketball or football.

I agree with this. Baseball coaches don't hop around as much as football and basketball coaches. They don't leave as often, and they don't get fired as often. Bianco is in Year 23. Scott Berry has been at Southern Miss for 23 years (14 as head coach).

We won a Natty and nobody got Foxhall or GoTro afterward. When a football team wins a Natty, someone always comes after their OC or DC.

Quaoarsking
05-19-2023, 12:03 PM

We don't need an "elite coach" to be successful. Just an above average one, and there are plenty of those who will gladly take our job.

basedog
05-19-2023, 12:08 PM
We don't need an "elite coach" to be successful. Just an above average one, and there are plenty of those who will gladly take our job.

There are many good coaches in baseball waiting for the chance. I could care less if one is "elite or not".

KB21
05-19-2023, 12:36 PM
Elite coaches in baseball don?t hop from job to job. There is a reason Dan McDonnell has been at Louisville since 2007, Brian O?Connor at Virginia for several years?.etc.

The Federalist Engineer
05-19-2023, 01:40 PM
https://twitter.com/kendallrogers/status/1659394435967246336?s=46&t=OwYh-8ppYKXqKt8QQD9Mtw

This tweet shows why ED is better than every College Baseball Website and most other College Anything sites. This is 2 or 3 week old information. And no better than listening to one of us on ED.

Coach34
05-19-2023, 01:40 PM
Schlossnagle did want it and he was elite then. His weirdo ass weirded out our weirdo AD though.

This narrative keeps getting thrown out- but truth be told- he didnt take the job and chose to stay at TCU. If he wanted the job- he would have been our HC

The Federalist Engineer
05-19-2023, 01:41 PM
There are many good coaches in baseball waiting for the chance. I could care less if one is "elite or not".

Have you sent in your application Basedog?

I look forward to Bert Stare saying you just bought a house in Starkville.

TNDawg35
05-19-2023, 01:45 PM
I agree with this. Baseball coaches don't hop around as much as football and basketball coaches. They don't leave as often, and they don't get fired as often. Bianco is in Year 23. Scott Berry has been at Southern Miss for 23 years (14 as head coach).

We won a Natty and nobody got Foxhall or GoTro afterward. When a football team wins a Natty, someone always comes after their OC or DC.

To be fair, Gotro has had several offers for head coaching spots. Tulane and Rice are a couple off the top of my head. He is still in the hunt for the Bama job also. Don’t be surprised if he ends up there at the end of the year.

gtowndawg
05-19-2023, 01:47 PM
The administration cares more about football than baseball (which, frankly, I'm good with). Had Lemon turned in this pathetic coaching effort in football he'd be gone already. We fired a football coach that went 16-8 and beat ole miss two years in a row.

Exactly how it should be!

Quaoarsking
05-19-2023, 02:07 PM

Moorhead was 14-12 (8-5 and then 6-7), not 16-8

TrapGame
05-19-2023, 02:10 PM
Moorhead was 14-12 (8-5 and then 6-7), not 16-8

Huh? I thought we finished regular season 8-4 both years? Anyway, my point remains. Football is more important to the administration and boosters.

Quaoarsking
05-19-2023, 02:25 PM
Huh? I thought we finished regular season 8-4 both years? Anyway, my point remains. Football is more important to the administration and boosters.

No, the piss and miss got us to 6-6. I highly doubt Moorhead would have been fired had we been 8-4 again in 2019. He almost wasn't anyway, until the incident with Willie Gay and the poor bowl performance.

TrapGame
05-19-2023, 02:51 PM
No, the piss and miss got us to 6-6. I highly doubt Moorhead would have been fired had we been 8-4 again in 2019. He almost wasn't anyway, until the incident with Willie Gay and the poor bowl performance.

OMG! How could I forget that?! Shit.

EdwardDrayton
05-19-2023, 03:25 PM
OMG! How could I forget that?! Shit.

Oh but how it makes us SMILE to remember!!

"Poor ol' Elijah well he never got a kiss
Poor ol' Elijah he don't know what he missed
Is it any wonder that his face is red Elijah that poor ol' wooden head"

basedog
05-19-2023, 03:36 PM
Have you sent in your application Basedog?

I look forward to Bert Stare saying you just bought a house in Starkville.

I?d just use a mesh beach chair instead of bucket. Bert said he would buy me a house when I applied and got the job*. LOL

P.S. I’d be bringing Cc24 as my top assistant.

Commercecomet24
05-19-2023, 04:00 PM
I?d just use a mesh beach chair instead of bucket. Bert said he would buy me a house when I applied and got the job*. LOL

P.S. I’d be bringing Cc24 as my top assistant.

I'll be there for you, man! LOL

basedog
05-19-2023, 04:06 PM
I'll be there for you, man! LOL

I’d get a deal for Cade to return and yo peep son would be our catcher/hitting Coach. Hell I’d make you Co HC! We could use the money 24. LOL

Commercecomet24
05-19-2023, 05:40 PM
I’d get a deal for Cade to return and yo peep son would be our catcher/hitting Coach. Hell I’d make you Co HC! We could use the money 24. LOL

Let's make it happen lol!

Cowbell
05-19-2023, 07:05 PM
This narrative keeps getting thrown out- but truth be told- he didnt take the job and chose to stay at TCU. If he wanted the job- he would have been our HC

Not true. And I live in Texas...

Coach34
05-19-2023, 08:50 PM
Not true. And I live in Texas...

aGAIN- say that all you want. If he waits until the end of the CWS- he is our coach. Cohen would not name him before the CWS was over- so he took the extension with TCU. Cohen told him he wouldnt name him before the CWS was over.

If he wanted to be our coach- he would be today

BuckyIsAB****
05-19-2023, 09:43 PM
Deuces

Bothrops
05-19-2023, 10:09 PM
This job isn't as attractive as it once was due to NIL. Also our location was never an issue until widespread social media came about. This is a bullshit world.

maroonmania
05-19-2023, 10:41 PM

They care about money and football is the cash cow. Even with the support we have baseball doesn't make much money even for us.if at all.

Cooterpoot
05-19-2023, 10:53 PM
This job isn't as attractive as it once was due to NIL. Also our location was never an issue until widespread social media came about. This is a bullshit world.

We're a top 5 or so in the SEC in NIL for baseball. That's pretty damn strong.

Todd4State
05-20-2023, 12:11 AM

We're in the SEC- which means if you're a coach and you want to win National Championships where one of the very few places that has the resources to do that.

Sure there are coaches like Scott Berry that get comfortable somewhere and they stay and just become the face of the program historically. There are others that want to go somewhere that they can win a National Championship.

Todd4State
05-20-2023, 12:18 AM

Let me give you two scenarios.

1. We can fire Lemois now and lose between 6-8 million dollars all told between buyouts and paying a new staff and end up with some random mid major coach or an unproven SEC assistant.

2. We can keep Lemonis spend about 4 million dollars on buyouts and do a proper National Search and end up with a more accomplished head coach. Assuming Lemonis doesn't turn it around. Which in my mind a turnaround is very possible. Because I don't think very many MSU fans understand how abysmal Foxhall was. But let's say I'm wrong and we end up with another season like this. We still come out better in the long run because we'll have a much bigger pool to choose from and more resources. Most of our fans just don't get this for some reason.

99jc
05-20-2023, 07:27 AM

1. We can fire Lemois now and lose between 6-8 million dollars all told between buyouts and paying a new staff and end up with some random mid major coach or an unproven SEC assistant.

2. We can keep Lemonis spend about 4 million dollars on buyouts and do a proper National Search and end up with a more accomplished head coach. Assuming Lemonis doesn't turn it around. Which in my mind a turnaround is very possible. Because I don't think very many MSU fans understand how abysmal Foxhall was. But let's say I'm wrong and we end up with another season like this. We still come out better in the long run because we'll have a much bigger pool to choose from and more resources. Most of our fans just don't get this for some reason.

The only thing i see is a repeat of Moorhead. Most of us with common sense could see he was a crap coach after Kentucky game....but noooo a lot of knuckleheads wanted to keep him. It wasn't until he told us to pound sand and kick rocks that he was told to exit stage left. It is DeJa'Vu all over again.

TrapGame
05-20-2023, 08:04 AM

Another year of abject mediocrity in baseball is fine by me. I'm a football guy. I really don't like baseball due some childhood issues involving my Dad trying to relive his glory years through me.

basedog
05-20-2023, 08:13 AM

Totally disagree with you Todd. Lemonis isn't the answer, did you not pay attention to his on the field decisions, it's not just the last game it's been all year. We have major gaps in our lineup, we don't have much on the bench that can step up and help what I'm seeing in certain positions.
Tell me when we have ever had a so-called Elite Coach in baseball at Msu come from another school, and I wouldn't call RP when we hired him in the 70's but he was an up-and-coming young coach from a mid major.

But we shall see and I'm gonna pull for us regardless what happens. We can get the money and find a new Coach, it ain't like we need food stamps and stimulus money.

JMO

DawgFromOxford
05-20-2023, 08:14 AM
The only thing i see is a repeat of Moorhead. Most of us with common sense could see he was a crap coach after Kentucky game....but noooo a lot of knuckleheads wanted to keep him. It wasn't until he told us to pound sand and kick rocks that he was told to exit stage left. It is DeJa'Vu all over again.

The difference is Lemonis has proven he can win in the right scenario. The question is can he build that scenario instead of using someone else?s. So far that appears to be a no, but he?s at least proven that he can win.

Moorhead had a team built to win 10 games and he couldn?t do it.

BuckyIsAB****
05-20-2023, 08:31 AM
Why would you not be able to do a national search if we fire him now? He is done. Keeping him is just delaying the inevitable.

basedog
05-20-2023, 08:48 AM
Why would you not be able to do a national search if we fire him now? He is done. Keeping him is just delaying the inevitable.

I laughed about National search as well.

BuckyIsAB****
05-20-2023, 09:23 AM
You could do a regional search and find a staff that would do better than 14th and 13th place finishes

Quaoarsking
05-20-2023, 09:33 AM
It's pretty well believed that the coaches of Campbell, Central Michigan, and Louisiana Tech would take our job. If we can get someone better, great, but all 3 of those would have gotten this team to a Regional this year. Probably last year too.

State82
05-20-2023, 09:39 AM
I laughed about National search as well.

Yeah, what exactly is the difference between a "national" search starting say, TODAY, and a "national" search starting 365 days from today? And another thing. Just WTH is an "elite" college baseball coach? Exactly how would one define such an individual? I would argue that you really can't. Number of national championships? Number of CWS appearances? Anyway, even if it could be defined we will not get one of those. Nor would most any other school. It just does not work that way in college baseball. If you are looking for that so called "elite" coach then you are wandering around needlessly. I truly do not know or even have a strong opinion on the best route to take at this point. But if making a change is the choice of Selmon, Keenum and the few controlling the purse strings then a smart search will locate the right man for the job. And he does not have to be "elite".

Todd4State
05-20-2023, 10:08 AM
Totally disagree with you Todd. Lemonis isn't the answer, did you not pay attention to his on the field decisions, it's not just the last game it's been all year. We have major gaps in our lineup, we don't have much on the bench that can step up and help what I'm seeing in certain positions.
Tell me when we have ever had a so-called Elite Coach in baseball at Msu come from another school, and I wouldn't call RP when we hired him in the 70's but he was an up-and-coming young coach from a mid major.

But we shall see and I'm gonna pull for us regardless what happens. We can get the money and find a new Coach, it ain't like we need food stamps and stimulus money.

JMO

John Cohen 2009.

confucius say
05-20-2023, 10:08 AM

Steve said the same thing before Kendall. Pretty much verbatim. Exact same words. Do with that what you will

confucius say
05-20-2023, 10:10 AM

We're not spending 6 million to buy out our current staff plus another couple million to buy out the current contract of the new staff. Not happening.

Todd4State
05-20-2023, 10:10 AM

Oh we can do a national search. But we won't land the best coach we can get. And we'll lose millions more in the process to likely do the same thing over again in about five years.

Todd4State
05-20-2023, 10:11 AM
Yeah, what exactly is the difference between a "national" search starting say, TODAY, and a "national" search starting 365 days from today? And another thing. Just WTH is an "elite" college baseball coach? Exactly how would one define such an individual? I would argue that you really can't. Number of national championships? Number of CWS appearances? Anyway, even if it could be defined we will not get one of those. Nor would most any other school. It just does not work that way in college baseball. If you are looking for that so called "elite" coach then you are wandering around needlessly. I truly do not know or even have a strong opinion on the best route to take at this point. But if making a change is the choice of Selmon, Keenum and the few controlling the purse strings then a smart search will locate the right man for the job. And he does not have to be "elite".

So let's throw shit against the wall and hope it sticks. Good plan.**

Quaoarsking
05-20-2023, 10:37 AM

Isn't that what we're doing if we keep Lemonis? Fool me twice, one more chance?

Tbonewannabe
05-20-2023, 10:42 AM

Funny since this is basically the same thing as keeping Lemonis. The pitching has been beyond bad but so has almost every other aspect. Other than "recruiting" which is pretty much always in the top 10-15, what does Lemonis bring to the table next year?

He didn't even maintain Indiana. They regressed his first 3 years and finally won 40 games his 4th year. The two previous years before Lemonis was 49 wins and 44 wins.

Pancho
05-20-2023, 11:07 AM
It's pretty well believed that the coaches of Campbell, Central Michigan, and Louisiana Tech would take our job. If we can get someone better, great, but all 3 of those would have gotten this team to a Regional this year. Probably last year too.

so would the staffs at PRCC, Jones College and ECCC

State82
05-20-2023, 11:55 AM
Come on, Todd. You are a knowledgeable baseball guy. Where in any of this did you come up with the fact we would be throwing shit against a wall?

EdwardDrayton
05-20-2023, 04:20 PM
Come on, Todd. You are a knowledgeable baseball guy. Where in any of this did you come up with the fact we would be throwing shit against a wall?

None of us are strong enough to pick Lemo up.

Cowbell
05-20-2023, 05:17 PM
Steve said the same thing before Kendall. Pretty much verbatim. Exact same words. Do with that what you will

Well that means they both could be wrong. Rosy ain't in the know anymore than this hoard.

Cooterpoot
05-20-2023, 07:10 PM
Todd, the buyout will cost State $0. They have people willing to cover that. They simply don't want to do it. Stop slobbing on the Lemonis knob. The guy sucks!

StarkVegasSteve
05-20-2023, 07:24 PM
Todd, the buyout will cost State $0. They have people willing to cover that. They simply don't want to do it. Stop slobbing on the Lemonis knob. The guy sucks!

This is actually correct. People seem to forget Leo Seal left us somewhere either just north or just south of 9 figures when he died that was specifically earmarked to hire and fire coaches. We have used that fund to fire Croom, Moorhead, and Howland and have used it to hire Moorhead, Leach, Howland, Jans, etc.

SpaceWranglerDawg
05-20-2023, 07:43 PM

Is this your best guess or have you actually talked to a booster (or boosters) that confirmed they would in fact pay the 6 million? Or are you willing to pay the 6 mil?

Pancho
05-20-2023, 09:52 PM
I will be totally stunned if he wins 11 SEC games if they allow him to hang around next year.

Todd4State
05-20-2023, 11:24 PM
Isn't that what we're doing if we keep Lemonis? Fool me twice, one more chance?

Funny since this is basically the same thing as keeping Lemonis. The pitching has been beyond bad but so has almost every other aspect. Other than "recruiting" which is pretty much always in the top 10-15, what does Lemonis bring to the table next year?

He didn't even maintain Indiana. They regressed his first 3 years and finally won 40 games his 4th year. The two previous years before Lemonis was 49 wins and 44 wins.

You're basically advocating doing a search just to do one without any thought of any other ramification to the program or thought of how a search now might turn out. But hey! We showed that mother ****er how we do baseball at MSU because I'm mad right?**

The reason it's throwing shit against the wall is because yeah- that might work out. But it's going to have to be because we found a guy who is an unknown or assistant with no experience and it just happened to work. However, odds of that working are really, really low.

The buyout is only one piece of the puzzle and you know it. Sure we can pay it. And guess where that money isn't going if we spend it? NIL for other sports or for other projects for MSU athletics. If I told you that you could buy something now for 6 million and with the high risk of something not working out or you could wait a year and spend 2 million and likely get something much better which would you do? And one reason we may not want to spend the Seal money right now is because we have a football coach that is still a massive unknown at this point and right now his recruiting isn't looking so hot. Oh yeah- and we have pay the new staff too. For the type of coach we want and expect that's not going to be cheap either.

Not to mention at least 5 SEC games that we blew massive leads because of pitching and it's very logical to let him try with another year with a new pitching coach. We could very realistically lower our team ERA by two runs which still isn't very good and potentially end up with a regional host bid with the team we return and the recruits we have coming in.

Todd4State
05-20-2023, 11:26 PM
I will be totally stunned if he wins 11 SEC games if they allow him to hang around next year.

If 2024 is anything like this or with 11 SEC wins then yes, he will be gone.

Coach34
05-20-2023, 11:43 PM
We'll know within 3-4 days. If you are making a change- it has to be done immediately

Quaoarsking
05-21-2023, 01:14 AM
You're basically advocating doing a search just to do one without any thought of any other ramification to the program or thought of how a search now might turn out.

I don't think any of us are saying anything like that. DO think about the ramification to the program. DO think about how the search will turn out. Make a change after considering those options. Talk to some candidates before making the decision, and then make the change once we have someone.

You spent most of the season advocating for a change just like me, even naming Justin Haire at Campbell as your favorite, and now at the end, you suddenly are back on the Lemonis train? Why? What did Lemonis show at the end of the season that he didn't show all along?

StarkVegasSteve
05-21-2023, 01:46 AM
We'll know within 3-4 days. If you are making a change- it has to be done immediately

If we are making a change it should be announced tomorrow morning. If there is no announcement by 9 AM Monday morning then you can be assured Lemonis is staying. And honestly, unless we have a high major coach that has signed an MOU, just keep Lemonis. We are not going to get a guy that most will be happy with.

Cowbell
05-21-2023, 01:50 AM
If we are making a change it should be announced tomorrow morning. If there is no announcement by 9 AM Monday morning then you can be assured Lemonis is staying. And honestly, unless we have a high major coach that has signed an MOU, just keep Lemonis. We are not going to get a guy that most will be happy with.

The problem with this is than anybody we want to coach here will be playing for atleast two more weeks while players are hitting the portal...that means we are two weeks without a coach....

StarkVegasSteve
05-21-2023, 01:51 AM
I don't think any of us are saying anything like that. DO think about the ramification to the program. DO think about how the search will turn out. Make a change after considering those options. Talk to some candidates before making the decision, and then make the change once we have someone.

You spent most of the season advocating for a change just like me, even naming Justin Haire at Campbell as your favorite, and now at the end, you suddenly are back on the Lemonis train? Why? What did Lemonis show at the end of the season that he didn't show all along?

You in no way, shape, or form EVER talk to candidates while you still have a sitting head coach. Good lord, try not to be idiotic. You maybe talk to their representation, although most baseball coaches do not make enough to warrant representation. Again unless you have a Corbin, Vitello, or O’Sullivan type hire waiting then wait til next year. Lee the buyout drop and push your chips to the middle of the table on Vitello

Todd4State
05-21-2023, 01:55 AM

I've been saying that he was going to likely come back for the vast majority of the year. The only time I ever thought he might be in serious trouble was after Arkansas where we looked awful and I thought that we were going to tank the rest of the year like last year. Then a few days later like right before the LSU series I heard he was coming back.

I only mentioned Justin Haire in the context of "if" we were to make a change which wasn't obvious several weeks ago when the season could have turned one way or the other.

The only reason I think he should come back is because of the context of what would be best for our baseball program in the long run. If he comes back and turns it around great. If he doesn't after another year we've put ourselves in a better position to hire a replacement and minimize long term damage. Selmon isn't going to go behind Lemonis's back making sure that we have a commitment from someone else before we fire him. That's an incredibly bad look and that's going to get out in the baseball community very quickly.

With our talent, our recruiting, and the portal- we can turn this around very quickly with even a decent hire at pitching coach. That's essentially what happened to us between 2015 and 2016.

And yes- we can rebound from three straight poor seasons. MSU had maybe it's best 10-11 year stretch after 2008-2010 which were three straight losing seasons.

Todd4State
05-21-2023, 01:56 AM

Exactly.

Todd4State
05-21-2023, 01:57 AM
You in no way, shape, or form EVER talk to candidates while you still have a sitting head coach. Good lord, try not to be idiotic. You maybe talk to their representation, although most baseball coaches do not make enough to warrant representation. Again unless you have a Corbin, Vitello, or O’Sullivan type hire waiting then wait til next year. Lee the buyout drop and push your chips to the middle of the table on Vitello

THANK YOU! SIGNS OF LIFE AMONG MSU BASEBALL FANS!

I'm glad someone else gets it.

TNDawg35
05-21-2023, 04:21 AM
THANK YOU! SIGNS OF LIFE AMONG MSU BASEBALL FANS!

I'm glad someone else gets it.
Oh we are here… it’s just tiresome reading the same stupid shit post after post after post from people who have mood swings worse than my wife during duck season…

sandjunky
05-21-2023, 04:52 AM
Oh we are here… it’s just tiresome reading the same stupid shit post after post after post from people who have mood swings worse than my wife during duck season…

Bingo

I think Todd gets paid by the word - need a cliffs note poster for Todd

The whole argument for keeping Lemonis

We?re not sure what we can get so we?re better off staying with him another year

Listen to yourself

This sounds like abused spouse syndrome where you?re so beat up mentally and it has you mind17d believing you can?t do better

You know what, you?re right

It?s the Mississippi St mindset

I?d rather kick the tires of a juco coach than watch Bucketman coach another year

msstate7
05-21-2023, 06:41 AM
Bingo

We?re not sure what we can get so we?re better off staying with him another year

Listen to yourself

This sounds like abused spouse syndrome where you?re so beat up mentally and it has you mind17d believing you can?t do better

I?d rather kick the tires of a juco coach than watch Bucketman coach another year

Perfect

Dawgface
05-21-2023, 06:46 AM
Bingo

Listen to yourself

Agree. What makes the guys think we will have a better chance to hire a big name next year?

Pancho
05-21-2023, 07:15 AM
I'd take the staffs at PRCC, Jones or ECCC over anything Lemo put out.

Offshore Dawg
05-21-2023, 08:09 AM

It is possible IF the entire pitching staff is given an overhaul.

confucius say
05-21-2023, 08:36 AM
Agree. What makes the guys think we will have a better chance to hire a big name next year?

We will have much more money to work with.

confucius say
05-21-2023, 08:37 AM
He is coming back for 2024

maroonmania
05-21-2023, 09:12 AM

Because apparently after 2 years of some of the worst baseball in MSU history no decent coach will consider us because of Lemonis winning the '21 NC. But if we get a 3rd year of horrendous baseball then they will all line up to interview. I am sort of torn about what we should do but this one point I don't get. Heck, we forced out Moorhead after 2 straight bowl years but we are worried about changing coaches here after missing Hoover 2 straight years? Lemonis did get his first two teams to Omaha but those teams were pretty much built before he got here. He just managed them. And letting a coach go at the end of the season will almost always mean waiting for some other coach to finish their season. That will be true now or if we are in this same boat next year.

We are just in a terrible, terrible position because there has never been a college baseball coach so successful his first 2 years followed up by being anywhere close to this unsuccessful his next 2 years. If the last 2 seasons had been just mediocre then Lemonis would be back no question asked, but are we willing to risk a 3rd straight embarrassing season if we let him stay? Of course we could get another really bad year next year regardless of what we do given the current state of things.

Quaoarsking
05-21-2023, 09:41 AM
I doubt doubt that we as a program can be in the hosting discussion in 2024. But I do doubt that we will be if Lemonis is our head coach. Any good coach should be able to win with our talent, resources, and fanbase. Lemonis has demonstrated that he can't anymore.

The idea that "well we can't make a change because who knows if we can get a guy the fanbase will be happy with!" is a bad argument, because we already have a coach that most of the fanbase isn't happy with. And even if the fanbase is underwhelmed by the hire, everyone will be happy once he gets here and starts winning (ironic case in point, just like Chris Lemonis, an underwhelming hire who turned out to be better than many of us expected).

Quaoarsking
05-21-2023, 09:42 AM
Of course we could get another really bad year next year regardless of what we do given the current state of things.

We could, but I think our probabilities of making Hoover, making a Regional, and hosting a Regional are all a lot higher if we make a change than if we keep Lemonis, and I'm honestly baffled at the idea that some posters here disagree.

Coach34
05-21-2023, 10:13 AM
We could, but I think our probabilities of making Hoover, making a Regional, and hosting a Regional are all a lot higher if we make a change than if we keep Lemonis, and I'm honestly baffled at the idea that some posters here disagree.

I dont get the reasoning. Firing Lemon will immediately put good players in the portal and blow up a recruiting class. A new coach will be starting over

Quaoarsking
05-21-2023, 10:33 AM
I dont get the reasoning. Firing Lemon will immediately put good players in the portal and blow up a recruiting class. A new coach will be starting over

The portal is a major "thing" regardless. The new coach can get players from the portal too, and try to coax the current players back. I suspect we'll see players jumping in the portal if Lemonis stays too.

Dawgface
05-21-2023, 10:52 AM

With this line of reasoning we will never get a new coach.

Quaoarsking
05-21-2023, 10:56 AM
Let's just be bad forever because we might be bad if we tried to get better.

Coach34
05-21-2023, 11:03 AM
With this line of reasoning we will never get a new coach.

We've been losing for 2 years because of pitching. Decimated by injuries in 2022. Hurt by them in 2023 along with some bad decisions on transfers. Losing Cade for a month. Losing Kohn. Keeping PFS. Having to pitch freshmen too often is why we arent in Hoover. We have decided to switch PC's. We have a solid group returning and need to find 2-3 contributors on the hill and should have a good staff in 2024.

Look at LSU. They are Skenes and that's it now due to injuries. I dont think they make it out of a Super and could lose their regional if a team with some decent pitching depth is in it. They burn Skenes in Game 1 of their Regional and I like the 2 seed chances against them

Tbonewannabe
05-21-2023, 03:13 PM

So you would only fire Lemonis if his recruiting class for next year falls apart? So if we have roughly the same results next year then why change then if he has another good recruiting class set up?

confucius say
05-21-2023, 03:41 PM
The portal is a major "thing" regardless. The new coach can get players from the portal too, and try to coax the current players back. I suspect we'll see players jumping in the portal if Lemonis stays too.

Not sure about jumping, but several are about to be pushed into it when it opens