PDA

View Full Version : What's the temperature of State's NIL?

bulldogcountry1
05-17-2023, 08:39 AM
Charlie typically is pretty upbeat and diplomatic about the NIL situation, but how are things really going? Are any of the big donors really buying in to the importance of the NIL?

I feel like the "old money" guys aren't going to be the type that would want to support the NIL situation. I can't say that I blame them, but I also see the writing on the wall.

gtowndawg
05-17-2023, 08:52 AM
I'm a member of the Bulldog Initiative and give monthly. I no longer give to the Bulldog Club. Whether we like it or not, the NIL is where the money needs to go.

Tripp McNeely
05-17-2023, 09:03 AM
I'm a member of the Bulldog Initiative and give monthly. I no longer give to the Bulldog Club. Whether we like it or not, the NIL is where the money needs to go.

This should be the attitude of every person that donates to MSU athletics! We get plenty of money (that we can't use for NIL) from tv contracts, ticket sales, etc. to pay coaches, update facilities, etc

gtowndawg
05-17-2023, 09:30 AM
This should be the attitude of every person that donates to MSU athletics! We get plenty of money (that we can't use for NIL) from tv contracts, ticket sales, etc. to pay coaches, update facilities, etc

I agree. And as a fan base we have too many people expecting the "cigar boys" to take care of our problems. We have an army, literally an army of fans, that can easily give $10 a month. That would be a PILE of money if people would just sign up. It's easy. Put a card in at the Bulldog Initiative site and they hit your card once a month. It's as easy as it gets.

SpaceWranglerDawg
05-17-2023, 09:37 AM
I know one of the bigger donor families (friend of mine is my daughter's Godfather, so we have an actual relationship...not some cousins friends coworker deal) told me they as a family believe the NIL is ridiculous and it sound like they don't have interest in donating.

Not sure if that is the general consensus among people, but it's not something that people seem excited about.

Question, are NIL donations tax deductible? A lot big donors give solely for the tax break.

It tough, specifically in this economy. I'm work in healthcare and my wife is an attorney, so we'd be on the upper end of family income in the state, and it's hard for us to justify donating to an unknown cause.

We will struggle as a fanbase and university to compete as long as the system is under it's current set up. State would for sure be dead last in donations from what it looks like...there's not one school that we should be able to donate more than....we're soooo much smaller than most.

MadDawg
05-17-2023, 10:00 AM
I know one of the bigger donor families (friend of mine is my daughter's Godfather, so we have an actual relationship...not some cousins friends coworker deal) told me they as a family believe the NIL is ridiculous and it sound like they don't have interest in donating.

Not sure if that is the general consensus among people, but it's not something that people seem excited about.

Question, are NIL donations tax deductible? A lot big donors give solely for the tax break.

It tough, specifically in this economy. I'm work in healthcare and my wife is an attorney, so we'd be on the upper end of family income in the state, and it's hard for us to justify donating to an unknown cause.

We will struggle as a fanbase and university to compete as long as the system is under it's current set up. State would for sure be dead last in donations from what it looks like...there's not one school that we should be able to donate more than....we're soooo much smaller than most.

"On the advice of legal experts and financial advisors, our organization is structured as a Mississippi limited liability company. Given this structure, payments are not tax-deductible nor considered a charitable donation. We do, however, work with business owners and their tax professionals to create marketing programming that would allow them to consider claiming their investments as a marketing expense. We recognize the importance of accommodating charitable giving to support The Bulldog Initiative, and we are in the process of examining a 501c3 charitable component."

Liverpooldawg
05-17-2023, 10:08 AM

If it happens the athletic program will take a big hit. The Bulldog Club still matters. NIL does too but if this becomes an either or thing then it's going to be terrible for the athletic program. https://msubulldogclub.com/sports/2017/9/7/mission

WSOPdawg
05-17-2023, 12:13 PM
For consideration, the argument can be made to "pay now (NIL)" to compete on the field immediately or "pay later (coaching buy-outs)" due to non-competitive results costing the coaches their jobs.

If Lem and his staff are at a $6M total buy-out (that's the pay later) vs utilizing that $6M to fund the NIL collective and immediately be competitive in all sports. Regardless, it seems the donors contribute at some point in time.

Goldendawg
05-17-2023, 12:56 PM
My son graduated from State last Friday morning. He got a lapel pin (MState, of course) and a card from the Alumni Association that stated he is now one of over 155,00 alumni worldwide. Some are not sports fans, but that also does not include State fans from all walks of life. I'm not one to tell others how to send their $, but all contributions to all areas supporting MSU are important. Fund raising is supposed to be AD Selmon's strong suit. Maybe things can improve. Hail State!

maroonmania
05-17-2023, 02:28 PM
If it happens the athletic program will take a big hit. The Bulldog Club still matters. NIL does too but if this becomes an either or thing then it's going to be terrible for the athletic program. https://msubulldogclub.com/sports/2017/9/7/mission

Athletic budget keeps going up and Bulldog Club funds are used to pay for the same things that can be paid out of the athletic budget. No university funds can be used for NIL though so that should be funded first if we want to compete. If money is left over for your giving then yea, give to the Bulldog Club as well. NIL in its current form is totally ridiculous but also totally necessary if we want to have the players needed to compete in the SEC. At this point I would say you should either support NIL or you should just go ahead and disengage yourself from big time college sports.

gtowndawg
05-17-2023, 03:20 PM
Little perspective (even as a reminder for myself) but in the grand scheme of things the Bulldog Initiative is just a baby. I remember when my grandfather was in the Bulldog Club in the mid-eighties, they would print the members' names in a game day program. Like once a year or something like that? The point being the Bulldog Club was so small they could put the members' names on a half-page. Now there are probably 15,000 members? The Bulldog Initiative will get there.

EdwardDrayton
05-17-2023, 03:30 PM
The implication has been that Ole Miss has more cigar boys WILLING TO SUPPORT ATHLETICS than we do.

Liverpooldawg
05-17-2023, 04:08 PM
Athletic budget keeps going up and Bulldog Club funds are used to pay for the same things that can be paid out of the athletic budget. No university funds can be used for NIL though so that should be funded first if we want to compete. If money is left over for your giving then yea, give to the Bulldog Club as well. NIL in its current form is totally ridiculous but also totally necessary if we want to have the players needed to compete in the SEC. At this point I would say you should either support NIL or you should just go ahead and disengage yourself from big time college sports.

You do know that Bulldog Club money is a big part of the athletic budget right? It can't be turned into an either or thing or the athletic program will suffer.

EdwardDrayton
05-17-2023, 04:32 PM

Anecdotally seems this is happening already and likely will escalate if this new model is not arrested and changed.

Leeshouldveflanked
05-17-2023, 04:37 PM
I imagine Top 10 in NCAA Baseball and WBB.

Dawgology
05-17-2023, 05:42 PM
[/B]

Anecdotally seems this is happening already and likely will escalate if this new model is not arrested and changed.

I’ve talked to a lot…A LOT…of people that no longer follow college sports. I still enjoy it immensely but I’m not nearly as invested in it personally or financially as I once was. Hard to get excited about folks who are getting paid to do a job. Kind of like NFL to me now.

EdwardDrayton
05-17-2023, 05:48 PM
I’ve talked to a lot…A LOT…of people that no longer follow college sports. I still enjoy it immensely but I’m not nearly as invested in it personally or financially as I once was. Hard to get excited about folks who are getting paid to do a job. Kind of like NFL to me now.

Think a lot of us already are in this space.

Cooterpoot
05-17-2023, 09:15 PM
If Brylie St Clair is hot, our NIL is Beth Mowins

civildawg
05-17-2023, 09:29 PM
NIL went from athletes wanting to be able to make money for autographs, etc. to middle class fans being expected to pay for players. Screw that

DownwardDawg
05-17-2023, 09:57 PM

A lot

Cowbell
05-17-2023, 10:40 PM
NIL went from athletes wanting to be able to make money for autographs, etc. to middle class fans being expected to pay for players. Screw that

Correct - if they are gonna be pause, it should be off the money we already spend to support them (tickets, concessions, etc)

somebodyshotmypaw
05-18-2023, 06:56 AM

This is the problem I think. When I pay for my kid to attend college, I have expectations. You will attend class, you will make acceptable grades, you will behave a certain way. I?m not going to pay for you to go to college if you are going to be a screw up and waste my money by skipping class and flunking out. If I?m paying I expect something in return.

When I pay NIL I have expectations. But I give and a player transfers to my rival. But I give and a player gets arrested. I have a problem with that. Because I?m not allowed to sit down with the player and say ?dammit Bookie Watson, I spent my money to help you with college and you are up here acting like a dumbass getting arrested.?

Paying for tickets is me purchasing some entertainment, similar to going to the movies.

MadDawg
05-18-2023, 08:15 AM

Exactly. 100% Exactly. Screw that.

SpaceWranglerDawg
05-18-2023, 08:39 AM

College sports have become a joke. I used to watch any game...I might might the argument I'm just as ready for the Saints as I am college football.

Interest level among my family and friends for donating to the NIL is non existent...

I don't think some of our fanbase understand how much smaller we are than the schools we are competing against...

Liverpooldawg
05-18-2023, 09:04 AM
[/B]

I've said all along that the goal of the people that basically forced the NCAA into allowing NIL and the portal is to end bigtime college athletics. I have seen nothing to change my mind yet.

SpaceWranglerDawg
05-18-2023, 09:16 AM
I've said all along that the goal of the people that basically forced the NCAA into allowing NIL and the portal is to end bigtime college athletics. I have seen nothing to change my mind yet.

The current system is a death sentence to a massive amount of college programs.

BrunswickDawg
05-18-2023, 12:06 PM
You do know that Bulldog Club money is a big part of the athletic budget right? It can't be turned into an either or thing or the athletic program will suffer.

Yes, Donor Contributions are roughly $22m of our $110 million athletics revenue. So it is still an important part of our revenue stream. But, when the new ESPN/ABC contract kicks in next year it won't be. The increased share of TV revenue will be at least $18m. Because we can replace that revenue, t makes sense to re-direct as much of those efforts into NIL as possible. Imagine MSU athletics having a $18-22m a year war chest to spend on players. Hell, half that would put us in good shape.

I don't like it. It thinks NIL as it has turned out is rotten to the core. But, its sink or swim time. And '24 is the time we have to evolve or we might as well go play in the Fun Belt.

SpaceWranglerDawg
05-18-2023, 12:22 PM
Yes, Donor Contributions are roughly $22m of our $110 million athletics revenue. So it is still an important part of our revenue stream. But, when the new ESPN/ABC contract kicks in next year it won't be. The increased share of TV revenue will be at least $18m. Because we can replace that revenue, t makes sense to re-direct as much of those efforts into NIL as possible. Imagine MSU athletics having a $18-22m a year war chest to spend on players. Hell, half that would put us in good shape.

I don't like it. It thinks NIL as it has turned out is rotten to the core. But, its sink or swim time. And '24 is the time we have to evolve or we might as well go play in the Fun Belt.

The problem is, donors don't donate out of "the kindness of their heart." They donate for tax purposes. Good luck convincing them to give away that money for free.

Is the "donation" that you're required to make when purchasing season tickets being factored into that 22 million?

Goldendawg
05-18-2023, 12:47 PM
The problem is, donors don't donate out of "the kindness of their heart." They donate for tax purposes. Good luck convincing them to give away that money for free.

Is the "donation" that you're required to make when purchasing season tickets being factored into that 22 million?

Bulldog Club Donations are no longer tax deductible.

BrunswickDawg
05-18-2023, 01:44 PM

Donations related to tickets are no longer deductible - I believe facilities related donations are. Point is, we have fan base that is historically resistant to paying players. The Athletic Dept and the University are going to have to lead us into doing something different or face losing more money by having a top to bottom shit sports program again.

BeardoMSU
05-18-2023, 02:07 PM
The current system is a death sentence to a massive amount of college programs.

Welp by the looks of this thread, I guess we're destined to be one of them without even trying...

SpaceWranglerDawg
05-18-2023, 02:52 PM
Welp by the looks of this thread, I guess we're destined to be one of them without even trying...

I hope we're proven wrong, but the forecast doesn't look great.