PDA

View Full Version : Lemonis stays; who leaves?

AlSwearengen
05-15-2023, 08:39 PM
Just from all of the smoke, I?m assuming that Alford will leave regardless of who the coach is. I also assume that the 2 players that have been mentioned as having already been approached by other teams are Hines and Jordan.

DownwardDawg
05-15-2023, 08:44 PM
Jordan has a chance to be one of the greats at State. We gotta make him stay.

Coach34
05-15-2023, 08:45 PM
Hines wants some NIL and to be the 1st baseman next year. He will be in maroon if he gets that
Jordan has people after him- NIL will settle that

**** Alford

KOdawg1
05-15-2023, 09:08 PM
Alford would be my guess based on the shit he's caused this year.

This is pure speculation, but I could see Lo leaving. He's culturally very different, and we fired his pitching coach, so I could see him going to a Florida school or something. Again, pure speculation.

Coach34
05-15-2023, 09:33 PM
Loftin is 100% Dawg. So we would have to **** up badly to lose him.

EdwardDrayton
05-15-2023, 09:44 PM
Most of the fans.

CaptainObvious
05-15-2023, 10:12 PM
Most of the fans.

That?s just it. It will not matter to the average fan. Because ?they loves dem boys? and go for the social event. Opening weekend will be packed just like always because to most State fans, winning is nice, but it ain?t everything. Sad really.

Now the message board fans will boycott until the team starts 10-1 against Dewey, Cheatum, and Howe.

Coach34
05-15-2023, 10:17 PM
The fans arent leaving. Nobody is giving up their OF spot. Nobody is giving up their season tickets their family has owned for 40 years. So no- we will not lose a damn thing fanwise

EdwardDrayton
05-15-2023, 10:23 PM
Already happening in football and basketball. NIL will take its toll on baseball now. So we'll keep a lousy coach and lose the few good players we have who want to make more money than we have and want to play for a winner again. The social party won't last long after that.

Tater
05-15-2023, 10:31 PM
Already happening in football and basketball. NIL will take its toll on baseball now. So we'll keep a lousy coach and lose the few good players we have who want to make more money than we have and want to play for a winner again. The social party won't last long after that.

Baseball is different for us because we've cultivated an atmosphere that transcends the sport. People just enjoy being there. For ****'s sake we set the record again this year for attendance in a battle between #13 and #14 in the SEC after we lost on Friday.

Message board opinion is <1% of State fanbase perception.

EdwardDrayton
05-15-2023, 10:40 PM
Baseball is different for us because we've cultivated an atmosphere that transcends the sport. People just enjoy being there. For ****'s sake we set the record again this year for attendance in a battle between #13 and #14 in the SEC after we lost on Friday.

Message board opinion is <1% of State fanbase perception.

Many are still riding the high of 2021 and a new park. Another season or two of losing and the shine will be gone. It's becoming clear we will not have the means to stay relevant in any sport.

Todd4State
05-15-2023, 10:52 PM
Hines wants some NIL and to be the 1st baseman next year. He will be in maroon if he gets that
Jordan has people after him- NIL will settle that

**** Alford

That sums it up.

Todd4State
05-15-2023, 11:05 PM
Many are still riding the high of 2021 and a new park. Another season or two of losing and the shine will be gone. It's becoming clear we will not have the means to stay relevant in any sport.

First of all if we beat North Alabama we're guaranteed .500. If we do that and beat A&M once at home we will have a winning season. So unless we have a really bad week we won't have a season of "losing".

Some people think that because we won a National Championship that we get to act like complete fools and fire everyone if we have a bad weekend and that our history is completely gone because of one bad season. Which is insane.

We have a really good core group of freshmen and sophomores to build around. And with Foxhall gone we have a chance to improve by a good bit. In fact we could potentially have a rotation of three top 200 draft prospects next year in Loo, Loftin, and Holcombe. Add in Dohm and Gartman and that's a pretty solid group to build around. Not to mention Siary, Tapper, and Gibbs. Bear in mind none of these guys have had proper coaching at this level or were managed correctly. We're bringing in a JUCO pitcher named Cam Shulke who is basically like Caleb Reed on steroids.

Hines and Dakota Jordan are already a really good tandem and Highfill has hit 9 home runs as a freshman. Mershon is coming into his own. We likely add Dylan Cupp at SS and Aidan Smith which could give us two more potential impact guys as freshmen. Nolan Stevens is another good freshman prospect that could help. Bryce Chance is basically a freshman and has held his own and should get better. That really only leaves us with a hole at third base and maybe an outfield spot. Probably will have to find a closer too.
We can find that very easily in the portal.

We should be much better next year as long as we make a decent hire at pitching coach and the draft doesn't kill us. Which I don't think it will.

BeardoMSU
05-15-2023, 11:14 PM
First of all if we beat North Alabama we're guaranteed .500. If we do that and beat A&M once at home we will have a winning season. So unless we have a really bad week we won't have a season of "losing".

Some people think that because we won a National Championship that we get to act like complete fools and fire everyone if we have a bad weekend and that our history is completely gone because of one bad season. Which is insane.

We have a really good core group of freshmen and sophomores to build around. And with Foxhall gone we have a chance to improve by a good bit. In fact we could potentially have a rotation of three top 200 draft prospects next year in Loo, Loftin, and Holcombe. Add in Dohm and Gartman and that's a pretty solid group to build around. Not to mention Siary, Tapper, and Gibbs. Bear in mind none of these guys have had proper coaching at this level or were managed correctly. We're bringing in a JUCO pitcher named Cam Shulke who is basically like Caleb Reed on steroids.

Hines and Dakota Jordan are already a really good tandem and Highfill has hit 9 home runs as a freshman. Mershon is coming into his own. We likely add Dylan Cupp at SS and Aidan Smith which could give us two more potential impact guys as freshmen. Nolan Stevens is another good freshman prospect that could help. Bryce Chance is basically a freshman and has held his own and should get better. That really only leaves us with a hole at third base and maybe an outfield spot. Probably will have to find a closer too.
We can find that very easily in the portal.

We should be much better next year as long as we make a decent hire at pitching coach and the draft doesn't kill us. Which I don't think it will.

I like this "non doom and gloom Todd", lol.**

Good post and I really hope this what we have in store.

Todd4State
05-16-2023, 01:16 AM
I like this "non doom and gloom Todd", lol.**

Good post and I really hope this what we have in store.

I do too! To me odds are really high that we will at the very least have a much better season next year. We have so many meltdown one run losses because of pitching mismanagement if we eliminate at least 75% of those losses we're probably looking at hosting or a two seed right now.

But that's the thing- we need to nail the PC hire. I'm not too worried about us in the portal. We've done a solid job there.

basedog
05-16-2023, 05:50 AM
The fans arent leaving. Nobody is giving up their OF spot. Nobody is giving up their season tickets their family has owned for 40 years. So no- we will not lose a damn thing fanwise

Season ticket holders will hold on to buying their seats, but attending games are getting easier to stay at home and watch because of streaming or TV games. If we continue to put a bad product on the field the attendance will slow as well. Winning sells more tickets for fans attending games, it just does. Better hope we get better coaching moving forward, last two years shouldn't have happened.

Losing hurts the program in many ways, winning creates opportunities for more positive things.

somebodyshotmypaw
05-16-2023, 06:39 AM
Dakota, Highfill, Hines, Mershon, Loftin, and Lo are all special, or have the opportunity to be special. That’s your core.

Pancho
05-16-2023, 06:41 AM
what are the odds of Kellum returning?

KOdawg1
05-16-2023, 07:10 AM
what are the odds of Kellum returning?
Low

Cooterpoot
05-16-2023, 08:32 AM
Dakota, Highfill, Hines, Mershon, Loftin, and Lo are all special, or have the opportunity to be special. That’s your core.

Almost 100% sure all those aren't coming back based on what I've heard. Hines and Jordan only have one year left here too.
We lose Clark, Ledbetter, Cade (likely pro), Nixon (pro), Gartman is probably done but we'll see, Larry, Hancock.
There are a few fence riders I think. There are a couples rumors of guys leaving but I'll wait because nothing clear.

Johnson85
05-16-2023, 08:57 AM
That?s just it. It will not matter to the average fan. Because ?they loves dem boys? and go for the social event. Opening weekend will be packed just like always because to most State fans, winning is nice, but it ain?t everything. Sad really.

Now the message board fans will boycott until the team starts 10-1 against Dewey, Cheatum, and Howe.

That's not sad. That's part of having a good program. You need irrational fanatics that just can't quit, but there are realistically only going to be so many of those, particularly for baseball. It being a social occasion lets us have more casual fans that still show up in tough times. That's a luxury, not sad.

State82
05-16-2023, 09:39 AM
That's not sad. That's part of having a good program. You need irrational fanatics that just can't quit, but there are realistically only going to be so many of those, particularly for baseball. It being a social occasion lets us have more casual fans that still show up in tough times. That's a luxury, not sad.

Good points. I agree.

Commercecomet24
05-16-2023, 09:41 AM

Excellent points!

confucius say
05-16-2023, 01:13 PM
There's a big time P5 guy interested in coming

CaptainObvious
05-16-2023, 03:17 PM

No. It is ?accepting? of mediocrity. The only thing anybody in power understands these days is $$$$.

And when this start dwindling somebody starts talking and when they start disappearing somebody starts acting! We need action, not talk.

Cowbell
05-16-2023, 05:16 PM
There's a big time P5 guy interested in coming

Come on you got to be more specific

The Federalist Engineer
05-16-2023, 05:26 PM

Summon the Muppet!

https://media.tenor.com/t2IgODIiRGcAAAAC/bert-dancing.gif

WSOPdawg
05-16-2023, 05:36 PM
Summon the Muppet!

I actually loathe these threads b/c of that 17n muppet... I can't be the only one, right?

BrunswickDawg
05-16-2023, 06:07 PM

And we should be thankful for it. Every blue blood in every sport eventually has some downturns. Bama had it. UK has been there in basketball. Tennessee was there for almost 2 decades in football and still kept packing them in. Other schools get unconditional support from their fans. They may bitch and want to fire coaches when they lose - but they are THERE. They show up for good and bad. We go 8-4 football or 19-11 in basketball and our fans have quit and start placing conditions on when they will be fans again. Real programs have support no matter what. Baseball is the only program at MSU with unconditional support like Bama/Michigan/UGA etc in football. Any fan of MSU who dogs that or resents that is foolish.

confucius say
05-16-2023, 06:29 PM

I can't. If and when he gets in the portal, I'll say. I will say he plays a position that is played by one of the guys we know is leaving.

TNDawg35
05-16-2023, 07:26 PM
Y’all act like other teams are gonna walk in here and purge every decent player we have on the roster. We have lost ZERO people since the portal has been a thing that have actually went and made a difference elsewhere and also if I can recall besides the one kid who went the A&M to pitch and was a bust, we have lost zero people to other power 5 teams…

Some of y’all need to take a step back a relax. If Lemonis stays, we won’t loose anyone we don’t want to. We will bring in a good pitching coach. I believe that.

This whole narrative we will loose all kinds of people to the portal is stupid. Half of y’all want half the team gone, then will bitch when it happens..

R2Dawg
05-16-2023, 07:56 PM
Y?all act like other teams are gonna walk in here and purge every decent player we have on the roster. We have lost ZERO people since the portal has been a thing that have actually went and made a difference elsewhere and also if I can recall besides the one kid who went the A&M to pitch and was a bust, we have lost zero people to other power 5 teams?

Some of y?all need to take a step back a relax. If Lemonis stays, we won?t loose anyone we don?t want to. We will bring in a good pitching coach. I believe that.

This whole narrative we will loose all kinds of people to the portal is stupid. Half of y?all want half the team gone, then will bitch when it happens..

This is true. What really good baseball player don't want to play at the Dude and what MSU has to offer? We can get and keep good talent. The poor ole Mistisipi St. attitude needs to be flushed.

Coach34
05-16-2023, 08:02 PM
Hard to leave once they get here if they are wanted to stay

Cowbell
05-16-2023, 08:15 PM
I can't. If and when he gets in the portal, I'll say. I will say he plays a position that is played by one of the guys we know is leaving.

What's his current stat line?

Coach34
05-16-2023, 08:32 PM
What's his current stat line?

Has to play 3rd, CF, RF or maybeeeee Catcher

Hines at 1st
Mershon at 2nd
Signee at SS
Jordan in LF

BuckyIsAB****
05-16-2023, 09:05 PM
I dont see how any of them feel entitled to anything given the product we have put on the field. Torch the barn. Kill the rats

DownwardDawg
05-16-2023, 09:41 PM
Summon the Muppet!

This is outstanding

AlSwearengen
05-16-2023, 09:42 PM

Keep that shit to yourself. We’ve been burned too many times by loose lips.

sandjunky
05-16-2023, 10:01 PM
I dont see how any of them feel entitled to anything given the product we have put on the field. Torch the barn. Kill the rats
Amen

BeardoMSU
05-16-2023, 11:26 PM
I actually loathe these threads b/c of that 17n muppet... I can't be the only one, right?

No

Todd4State
05-17-2023, 01:06 AM
Y’all act like other teams are gonna walk in here and purge every decent player we have on the roster. We have lost ZERO people since the portal has been a thing that have actually went and made a difference elsewhere and also if I can recall besides the one kid who went the A&M to pitch and was a bust, we have lost zero people to other power 5 teams…

Some of y’all need to take a step back a relax. If Lemonis stays, we won’t loose anyone we don’t want to. We will bring in a good pitching coach. I believe that.

This whole narrative we will loose all kinds of people to the portal is stupid. Half of y’all want half the team gone, then will bitch when it happens..

Rep given. Very well said.

Commercecomet24
05-17-2023, 10:29 AM

Great post and very accurate!