PDA

View Full Version : If state wins today and two next weekend, does your opinion change about Lem?

Jack Lambert
05-14-2023, 12:10 PM
If they got to the SEC Tournament, I would go from being fired to being on the fence.

StarkVegasSteve
05-14-2023, 12:27 PM
No. My opinion has been the same since last year. He should have been fired at the end of last year and should be fired this year. I am of the opinion though that he probably will not be.

Dawgface
05-14-2023, 12:41 PM
No but be prepared for him continuing on another year.

MaroonFlounder
05-14-2023, 12:44 PM
Get him a new bucket.

Lem is staying.

I can’t say that I’m surprised. Definitely not excited.

The team might be better, but the new benchmark will be making Hoover and praying for an at-large 2 or 3-seed

Homedawg
05-14-2023, 12:59 PM
No. My opinion has been the same since last year. He should have been fired at the end of last year and should be fired this year. I am of the opinion though that he probably will not be.

At the end of last year?? Wow. I get the this year. But last year is pretty tough. 2 out 3 trips to the cws and a ship and lost season and he gone. Just wow.

basedog
05-14-2023, 01:03 PM
No

Cowbell
05-14-2023, 01:18 PM
At the end of last year?? Wow. I get the this year. But last year is pretty tough. 2 out 3 trips to the cws and a ship and lost season and he gone. Just wow.

And losing almost every good pitcher on the staff

BuckyIsAB****
05-14-2023, 01:41 PM
Gotta go. Keeping this staff is wasting time

CaptainObvious
05-14-2023, 01:42 PM
If they got to the SEC Tournament, I would go from being fired to being on the fence.

Big IF!

CaptainObvious
05-14-2023, 01:45 PM
At no time EVER in College Athletics should there Not be a Performance Clause in a Coach?s Contract.

Cowbell
05-14-2023, 01:46 PM
My opinion of Lem wouldn't change. It would just show me that he is willing to change. It would tell me to give him a chance to improve.

We forget that this is an evolving game and these coaches are young still and are gonna make some mistakes. That's why I was so disappointed mid season when it became obvious that no changes were being made and Lem hadn't improved.

Cowbell
05-14-2023, 01:47 PM
At no time EVER in College Athletics should there Not be a Performance Clause in a Coach?s Contract.
Agreed. And if a coach doesn't have the confidence to sign it, don't hire him. They could sit at home and honestly do very little at this point.

Mjoelner34
05-14-2023, 02:08 PM
Not in the least. Two weekends at the back end do not come close to undoing two straight years of a clown show.

StarkVegasSteve
05-14-2023, 04:15 PM

You could see it then.

DownwardDawg
05-14-2023, 04:20 PM
It would tell me the players haven't given up on him. What that means I'm not sure. I like the guy. I wish he would turn it around.

CaptainObvious
05-14-2023, 05:25 PM
I?ll go so far as to say if State Sweeps the Milkmen next weekend, then I would move from 0% to keep him to 10% to keep him only if that sweep got us to Hoover. Hoover is the only way State should keep Lem. If Missouri eliminates us before we get to Sunday, he needs to go even if we 10 run rule all 3 games The Men In White!

weblow
05-14-2023, 05:49 PM
He will stay after this weekend. We basically won but still lost. We will struggle to find a pitching coach who wants to Thelma and Louise with Lemonis in his last trip around the sun here.

Sad thing is, we wont tonight in spite of the terrible coaching
-Cheese left a minimum of 3 runs and held them at 3rd. The Amani was a mistake but he had other ops and failed.
-Why go to KC with an 11.00 era there when Nixon with a 1.65 era is warm? Why wait until KC walks batters to bring in our best arm to shut them down?
-DJ and a few others have a stomach bug. But why go to Conner when Chance is available? Even after making the decision when he comes up with the go-ahead run, why not go to Chance batting .330 and your best contact hitter vs Conner at .225.

These guys won that game in spite of terrible coaching and in doing so, we get stuck with him again for another year.

EdwardDrayton
05-14-2023, 05:53 PM
It's really not about Hoover. It's significantly more about the roster. If we lose Lemo and as a result we would lose much of our roster, then maybe he needs to stay. Thinking the less damaging move could be to keep him. Would be very hard to swallow this however given our dismal performance both years.

HoopsDawg
05-14-2023, 05:55 PM
It's really not about Hoover. It's significantly more about the roster. If we lose Lemo and as a result we would lose much of our roster as a result, then maybe he needs to stay. Thinking the less damaging move could be to keep him. Would be very hard to swallow this however given our dismal performance both years.

The roster should play 0% into the decision. The only question that needs answering is whether Lemonis is the right guy to lead our program. That's it.

EdwardDrayton
05-14-2023, 06:04 PM
The roster should play 0% into the decision. The only question that needs answering is whether Lemonis is the right guy to lead our program. That's it.

Do we believe we have talented players and more coming in. Answer: yes.
Do we believe if Lemo is fired we will lose more than a few. Answer: those here in the know say yes.
Could we quickly replace those who leave with folks of the same caliber. Answer: Probably not.

It is indeed a consideration.

HoopsDawg
05-14-2023, 06:12 PM
Do we believe if Lemo is fired we will lose more than a few. Answer: those here in the know say yes.
Could we quickly replace those who leave with folks of the same caliber. Answer: Probably not.

I can't tell you how many times people on this board have been wrong.

I can't tell you how many times a player has said if X coach leaves, I leave, and then they stay.

If we hire a coach who can't recruit as well or better than Lemonis, we made the wrong hire.

I would reach out to 5-7 coaches, guys like Dan Heefner. If any shows return interest, make the move.

bobcat91
05-14-2023, 06:14 PM
My opinion hasn't changed. We need a new start. But the team showed they will still play for him and haven't given up. If we win 2/3 against TAMU, and make Hoover, I don't see him getting fired

EdwardDrayton
05-14-2023, 06:15 PM
I can't tell you how many times people on this board have been wrong.

I can't tell you how many times a player has said if X coach leaves, I leave, and then they stay.

If we hire a coach who can't recruit as well or better than Lemonis, we made the wrong hire.

I would reach out to 5-7 coaches, guys like Dan Heefner. If any shows return interest, make the move.

Certainly believe we can hire someone who can recruit. Are we ready to endure another year or two potentially if indeed we lose players and it takes a year or two to replace them.

basedog
05-14-2023, 06:19 PM
Missouri won today. We would have to sweep Aggies probably to have a chance.

TheLostDawg
05-14-2023, 06:56 PM

I just don't get this argument. Yes short term we may lose some guys but we're probably looking at three below par later classes that are a result of being terrible these two years and possibly next year. Nil may change but right now we can buy players. That might not be the case in three years when we're suffering from our current disaster

TheLostDawg
05-14-2023, 07:01 PM
And if we win 2/3 I'll be more accepting of him staying if he makes more coaching changes. As previously mentioned today was a win but huge mistakes in coaching were made. That's mistakes. Plural.

ZedFedder
05-14-2023, 07:04 PM
I think Lemonis has issues at being the head guy but if you get Muscara, that?ll cover a lot of problems.

Coach34
05-14-2023, 07:04 PM
And if we win 2/3 I'll be more accepting of him staying if he makes more coaching changes. As previously mentioned today was a win but huge mistakes in coaching were made. That's mistakes. Plural.

What mistakes other than pulling Jello to quick?

Polk said it was a good idea Cheese held Led because he would have been toast at the plate.
You play Hugesak over Chance in every situation.
I'll cut him some slack on the Hunt call because Nixon pitched yesterday and you are wanting to hold him for closing. But I can also agree that going ahead and going to him would have been fine as well.

Coach34
05-14-2023, 07:06 PM
I think Lemonis has issues at being the head guy but if you get Muscara, that?ll cover a lot of problems.

I've been critical of moves he's made since he got here. Some have worked- some make me wonder if he should even coach high school

EdwardDrayton
05-14-2023, 07:15 PM
Much discussion about his future with valid points both ways. It's certainly not an easy decision.

Bottom line: Yes, there's a risk we lose players if we fire him. But there's a risk we lose them anyway even if he stays. I do not have a significant level of confidence he can right the ship. Make the move. And hire someone who can keep the band together a la Arnett when Leach passed away.

TheLostDawg
05-14-2023, 07:18 PM
What mistakes other than pulling Jello to quick?

Polk said it was a good idea Cheese held Led because he would have been toast at the plate.
You play Hugesak over Chance in every situation.
I'll cut him some slack on the Hunt call because Nixon pitched yesterday and you are wanting to hold him for closing. But I can also agree that going ahead and going to him would have been fine as well.

Do you think that Larry should have been held as well?

KOdawg1
05-14-2023, 07:22 PM

We won't be gettin Mascara

The Federalist Engineer
05-14-2023, 07:32 PM
We won't be gettin Mascara

Why not? What is the scoop?

KOdawg1
05-14-2023, 07:33 PM
Why not? What is the scoop?

Muscara will be getting HC interest. He ain't coming to be a pitching coach for a guy on the hot seat.

Plus we've supposedly already reached out to some top pitching coach names and been turned down.

The Federalist Engineer
05-14-2023, 07:39 PM
Much discussion about his future with valid points both ways. It's certainly not an easy decision.

Bottom line: Yes, there's a risk we lose players if we fire him. But there's a risk we lose them anyway even if he stays. I do not have a significant level of confidence he can right the ship. Make the move. And hire someone who can keep the band together a la Arnett when Leach passed away.

The team fought for Lemonis and each other in game 2 and 3. The roster is with him now. You will still have a Landon Jordan or two that is quietly hating everyone but we need to see what happens Vs TAM.

I'm not saying Hoover or bust, I'm just thinking about winning the TAM series.

Coach34
05-14-2023, 07:52 PM

didnt see it. Dozed off during the game for a few.

Tbonewannabe
05-14-2023, 08:01 PM

So if we turn over the roster and don't make a Regional then we are exactly where we are right now. The only way you don't let Lemo go is either you think we are going the right direction, which the last two years is a nose dive to the bottom or we don't have the buyout. One good series in two years doesn't say to me that we are going in the right direction.

I would love to sweep A&M and make Hoover then make a run to a Regional but I just don't see it happening. We still have crap pitching and one of the worst defenses in MSU 150+ year history. Hitting is mediocre and very hot and cold. What about the coaching says we should keep him?

He didn't do anything at Indiana but slightly maintain what someone else built although they weren't as good as the previous coach. We have top ten classes pretty much every year regardless.

We have very few guys that have developed under this coaching staff regardless of position but pitchers have gotten worse.

Lemo won a Natty with someone else's team. I will say he pushed all the right buttons that year but hasn't done it since.

I hope he turns it around but I just don't expect it at this point. The last two years are his teams with his recruits. It doesn't speak well of his development and recruiting when you take a program that is Super Regional pretty much at least every other year and now are fighting to get to Hoover.

Just reminding folks when Canny wasn't sexting in the dugout, he took a team with no pitching like last year and had then 7 outs from Omaha.

Coach34
05-14-2023, 08:04 PM
Well people look at the direction of the program and see that this year's freshmen are pretty damn good and we have a top 5 recruiting class coming in next year. We get some hurt arms back and can hit the portal for more.

Commercecomet24
05-14-2023, 08:08 PM

That was on Larry all the way. Watch the replay he never looked at cheese he immediately went back to second
And tagged up. By the time he broke for third was to late to send him and cheese was getting on him about it and lem too.

The minute you see an outfielders numbers you gotta go.

Coach34
05-14-2023, 08:27 PM
That was on Larry all the way. Watch the replay he never looked at cheese he immediately went back to second
And tagged up. By the time he broke for third was to late to send him and cheese was getting on him about it and lem too.

This- thats on Larry. When the OF has his back to you? Run

Nothing Cheese can do

R2Dawg
05-14-2023, 08:55 PM

Larry should have been sent; huge mistake that could have cost us the game. That was an easy call.

Coach34
05-14-2023, 09:01 PM
Larry should have been sent; huge mistake that could have cost us the game. That was an easy call.

aGAIN- Larry held up too long because he didnt run when the LSU RF'er turned his back. Thats on Larry

HoopsDawg
05-14-2023, 09:26 PM
Well people look at the direction of the program and see that this year's freshmen are pretty damn good and we have a top 5 recruiting class coming in next year. We get some hurt arms back and can hit the portal for more.

You could have made this exact same post before this season and you see what happened. Missing the SECT 2 years in a row is unacceptable

TheLostDawg
05-14-2023, 09:52 PM

Thanks. Makes me feel better about that. Seems some good coaching might help prevent errors like that.

R2Dawg
05-15-2023, 12:05 PM
aGAIN- Larry held up too long because he didnt run when the LSU RF'er turned his back. Thats on Larry

I'm just saying a huge running error, who it was on I don't know and don't care. You can't make those kind of mistakes and win most of the time.

R2Dawg
05-15-2023, 12:10 PM
My opinion hasn't changed. We need a new start. But the team showed they will still play for him and haven't given up. If we win 2/3 against TAMU, and make Hoover, I don't see him getting fired

If we do this, it at least gives some hope that Lemo might could turn it around with a good pitching coach hire. Lemo has approached the game much more engaged since firing Fox. Bucket sitting needs to be over until we return to form and a top 10 team again. We have talent and more talent coming. No reason we can't return to form quickly.