PDA

View Full Version : Jimmy bell (center) transferring to state

msstate7
05-10-2023, 12:12 PM
From West Virginia. Numbers not that great. Hopefully he's a good defender

NCMSTFAN
05-10-2023, 12:33 PM
He's not known for his defense, he did talk about getting better on the defensive end and thinks Jans can help him there (he won't have much choice if he wants to play). Previously played at Moberly Community College, St. Louis and West Virginia, he's a big body 6'10 285 so that is nice but his numbers are bad:

Averaged 4.8 ppg, 5.2 rpg 61% from the free throw line. I hope this isn't Tolu's replacement because he is more of a backup Center, not sure of McNair's intentions to stay or leave. That leaves us with 2 more scholarships, Jans needs a scorer/shooter in the worst way. I'm still a little concerned with recruiting and the talent we currently have.

Saltydog
05-10-2023, 05:50 PM
Not known for his defense and dang sure not known for his offense. But he is a big body at 285 lbs.

msstate7
05-10-2023, 06:39 PM
Are we done? Tolu or bust?

Coach34
05-10-2023, 07:08 PM
hearing McNair is leaving but he hasnt seemed to find a landing spot yet

HoopsDawg
05-10-2023, 08:26 PM
hearing McNair is leaving but he hasnt seemed to find a landing spot yet

I believe tomorrow is the last day to enter the portal, but since McNair has graduated he can transfer thru the summer.

EdwardDrayton
05-10-2023, 09:35 PM
Maybe sign Jans up for the Advanced Recruiting Seminar next week. Purcell is teaching.

NCMSTFAN
05-11-2023, 07:08 AM
Maybe sign Jans up for the Advanced Recruiting Seminar next week. Purcell is teaching.

Hahaha great post. But yea, I know this is only his 2nd recruiting cycle but with the portal available for immediate proven talent there isn't alot of excuses or rebuilding that has to happen. Purcell is killing it in recruiting both high school and the portal. Jans hasn't figured that part out yet

smootness
05-11-2023, 11:32 AM
I'm sure we're not bringing this guy in to start for us. He scores, on a per minute basis, about as well as McNair, but with better efficiency. And he rebounds, blocks shots, gets steals, gets assists, all slightly better than McNair, especially offensive rebounds. So as a backup C, he's a good option and could possibly give us more of a boost when Tolu is out.

Coach34
05-11-2023, 12:25 PM
Hahaha great post. But yea, I know this is only his 2nd recruiting cycle but with the portal available for immediate proven talent there isn't alot of excuses or rebuilding that has to happen. Purcell is killing it in recruiting both high school and the portal. Jans hasn't figured that part out yet

men's basketball players cost more than women's players

Thick
05-11-2023, 12:34 PM
Maybe McNair should transition and play for Sam.

PGHBulldogBG
05-11-2023, 12:48 PM

That’s the main factor. NIL plays into women’s sports but not nearly at the same rate. I have no inside information about our NIL situation, but I am sure that is why other teams are getting better players through the portal. It’s unfortunate, but we are going to have a hard time competing in football and men’s basketball unless NIL gets more regulated. It doesn’t matter if Saban and Coach K were our football and basketball coaches if we don’t get NIL up to par with other SEC teams

NCMSTFAN
05-11-2023, 12:51 PM

Tell that to teams like FDU, Florida Atlantic, San Diego State... all of these teams went sweet 16 or better in the tourney with very little NIL support. Everything isn't about NIL there are talented players out there. Ole Miss sure isn't having a hard time finding them.

Also, have you seen the NIL deals these girls have been getting? Hailey Van Lith, Angel Reese, the swimmer from LSU, the twins from Miami, Caitlin Clark etc.... these girls are bringing in more than alot of guys... we had two girls on our team last year in Jerkaila Jordan and Ahlana Smith that were in the top 50 of NIL

NCMSTFAN
05-11-2023, 01:00 PM
That’s the main factor. NIL plays into women’s sports but not nearly at the same rate. I have no inside information about our NIL situation, but I am sure that is why other teams are getting better players through the portal. It’s unfortunate, but we are going to have a hard time competing in football and men’s basketball unless NIL gets more regulated. It doesn’t matter if Saban and Coach K were our football and basketball coaches if we don’t get NIL up to par with other SEC teams

I dont like the NIL excuse, I know it plays a part but when lesser teams in lesser conferences can field really good teams we should be able to also. You mean to tell me we can't go find a good scorer or shooter anywhere because of NIL?

PGHBulldogBG
05-11-2023, 01:10 PM
I dont like the NIL excuse, I know it plays a part but when lesser teams in lesser conferences can field really good teams we should be able to also. You mean to tell me we can't go find a good scorer or shooter anywhere because of NIL?

A lot of those players were already in place before NIL. SDSU and UConn are more than likely using their NIL allotment pretty much solely on hoops. The majority of ours is going to SEC football recruits. Unfortunately, I wouldn’t be surprised if we use more for baseball than basketball because of our fanbase obsession with that sport. When your entire fund is going just to one sport, it makes it easier to pay players more even if your overall amount as a whole is less

NCMSTFAN
05-11-2023, 01:44 PM
A lot of those players were already in place before NIL. SDSU and UConn are more than likely using their NIL allotment pretty much solely on hoops. The majority of ours is going to SEC football recruits. Unfortunately, I wouldn’t be surprised if we use more for baseball than basketball because of our fanbase obsession with that sport. When your entire fund is going just to one sport, it makes it easier to pay players more even if your overall amount as a whole is less

I dont disagree with that but we can't let that be our excuse going forward with basketball and football. If we are going to play the "little Mississippi State can't keep up because of NIL" card then why play the games with the big boys? To me it sounds more like we don't belong in the SEC when we make those excuses. Ole Miss sure is doing well in basketball right now with recruiting so if they can figure it out we can too.... Im just not a fan of the NIL excuse, I understand there is some validity there but we have to figure it out

CaptainObvious
05-11-2023, 02:14 PM
I dont disagree with that but we can't let that be our excuse going forward with basketball and football. If we are going to play the "little Mississippi State can't keep up because of NIL" card then why play the games with the big boys? To me it sounds more like we don't belong in the SEC when we make those excuses. Ole Miss sure is doing well in basketball right now with recruiting so if they can figure it out we can too.... Im just not a fan of the NIL excuse, I understand there is some validity there but we have to figure it out

Been saying for years, if State is okay with being Vandy with a lot less money, then by all means the SEC is for us. And I do think the prestige of being in the SEC is more important to so many of our fans. They are okay with State always finishing in the bottom 3rd(soon to be the bottom 4th). We can keep raising ticket prices until we price the a stage State fan out and start putting Tarps over the empty sections. Or we can hire the best Fund Raiser ever and get them after the most wealthy alumni to understand that athletics drives the entire University.

Really Clark?
05-11-2023, 02:34 PM
We do not overfund baseball and limit our NIL in basketball. Football is our biggest issue with NIL. Basketball is on better footing than football.

ArrowDawg
05-11-2023, 02:34 PM
Been saying for years, if State is okay with being Vandy with a lot less money, then by all means the SEC is for us. And I do think the prestige of being in the SEC is more important to so many of our fans. They are okay with State always finishing in the bottom 3rd(soon to be the bottom 4th). We can keep raising ticket prices until we price the a stage State fan out and start putting Tarps over the empty sections. Or we can hire the best Fund Raiser ever and get them after the most wealthy alumni to understand that athletics drives the entire University.

As things stand right now, without change in rules, I have no hope for our future in football. I think we're dying there, and the NIL is the executioner. Our only hope would be to get our richest alumni to start caring about sports, which they currently don't. We have a chance to do better in basketball, and certainly baseball.

msstate7
05-11-2023, 05:13 PM
Tell that to teams like FDU, Florida Atlantic, San Diego State... all of these teams went sweet 16 or better in the tourney with very little NIL support. Everything isn't about NIL there are talented players out there. Ole Miss sure isn't having a hard time finding them.

Also, have you seen the NIL deals these girls have been getting? Hailey Van Lith, Reese Weatherspoon, the swimmer from LSU, the twins from Miami, Caitlin Clark etc.... these girls are bringing in more than alot of guys... we had two girls on our team last year in Jerkaila Jordan and Ahlana Smith that were in the top 50 of NIL

Then we need to use that money on MBK. Sorry, I'm a sexist pig

NCMSTFAN
05-11-2023, 05:49 PM
Then we need to use that money on MBK. Sorry, I'm a sexist pig

Whether you're joking or not thats an ignorant statement. You're daughter or Grand daughter may be the next big college womens player. I wonder if you will feel that way then

msstate7
05-11-2023, 08:10 PM
Whether you're joking or not thats an ignorant statement. You're daughter or Grand daughter may be the next big college womens player. I wonder if you will feel that way then

It was mostly a joke bc it isn't my money to earmark. I really don't like WBK though. When we were really good, I didnt watch. I just don't like the sport. I sent my BI money to football, baseball, and MBK.

Homedawg
05-12-2023, 12:05 AM

Also, have you seen the NIL deals these girls have been getting? Hailey Van Lith, Angel Reese, the swimmer from LSU, the twins from Miami, Caitlin Clark etc.... these girls are bringing in more than alot of guys... we had two girls on our team last year in Jerkaila Jordan and Ahlana Smith that were in the top 50 of NIL

Curiously where are you getting your info that they were in the top 50?

Big4Dawg
05-12-2023, 04:13 AM

or maybe it?s because we are bringing all 5 starters back potentially? And no one wants to come without being promised a starting job?

NCMSTFAN
05-12-2023, 05:25 AM
Curiously where are you getting your info that they were in the top 50?

On3.com had a list out a few weeks back. The numbers are estimated but we had Jerk and Ahlana on the list. I stand corrected, they were top 100 on the list, Smith was 58, Jerk was 85.

https://www.on3.com/nil/rankings/player/college/womens-basketball/

Schultzy
05-12-2023, 11:13 AM
One more to go this cycle, keeping fingers crossed.

Homedawg
05-12-2023, 01:53 PM
On3.com had a list out a few weeks back. The numbers are estimated but we had Jerk and Ahlana on the list. I stand corrected, they were top 100 on the list, Smith was 58, Jerk was 85.

https://www.on3.com/nil/rankings/player/college/womens-basketball/

Those list are just made up and are not even remotely close to correct. Based on "perceived" value not actual earnings. Now, some people that might be close but it's blind luck unless it's a published contract.

NCMSTFAN
05-12-2023, 04:01 PM
Those list are just made up and are not even remotely close to correct. Based on "perceived" value not actual earnings. Now, some people that might be close but it's blind luck unless it's a published contract.

You are kind of stating the obvious, Im well aware of that, I stated that exact thing weeks ago when I initially posted that link in another thread. No one will EVER be able to monitor exactly what players are getting or are not, it's impossible to really know thats also why I said estimated.

Homedawg
05-12-2023, 06:05 PM
You are kind of stating the obvious, Im well aware of that, I stated that exact thing weeks ago when I initially posted that link in another thread. No one will EVER be able to monitor exactly what players are getting or are not, it's impossible to really know thats also why I said estimated.

Ok. I get you said estimated. And didn't see the other thread. But, you made it sound like it was legit whether it's estimate or not. That's not even good fire side chat material.

Coach34
05-12-2023, 09:12 PM
Ok. I get you said estimated. And didn't see the other thread. But, you made it sound like it was legit whether it's estimate or not. That's not even good fire side chat material.

So our top 2 girls are rated at 24K and 20K and we know they arent getting that.

#58 in boys is rated at 137K compared to 24K in girls ball. As I posted earlier- its a different world.

msstate7
05-12-2023, 09:27 PM
So our top 2 girls are rated at 24K and 20K and we know they arent getting that.

#58 in boys is rated at 137K compared to 24K in girls ball. As I posted earlier- it's a different world.

Anyone know who the top paid MBK player is and how much?

NCMSTFAN
05-13-2023, 02:52 PM
So what point are you trying to make? We agree that the numbers aren't accurate