PDA

View Full Version : The more I think about it...if we do make the change

Coach34
05-10-2023, 10:46 AM
Gonna have to take a hard look at making GoTro the guy. My reasoning:

A) If we keep Lemon- it's going to be tough to pull a well-known PC....knowing Lemonizik is on the hottest of seats

B) Firing him 2 seasons removed from a Natty is going to limit choices in the hiring process.

C) Firing him and GoTro as well will likely cause a major roster exodus as well as harm our recruiting class. Which will make it even tougher for the next coach to rebuild.

Ya'll thought I was full of it when I mentioned Arnett back in November- and look where we are now? Just something to ponder on the next couple of weeks.

parabrave
05-10-2023, 11:00 AM
I know he is the hitting Coach, But how far do his responsibilities go? Is the Lineup card his? Calling bunts? Base running? Fielding??

Saltydog
05-10-2023, 11:02 AM
I understand your rationale but if Lemonis goes, they ALL need to go........For the life of me I don't see why people keep thinking GoTro is the chosen one........He must be our sacred cow......

basedog
05-10-2023, 11:03 AM

A) If we keep Lemon- it's going to be tough to pull a well-known PC....knowing Lemonizik is on the hottest of seats

B) Firing him 2 seasons removed from a Natty is going to limit choices in the hiring process.

C) Firing him and GoTro as well will likely cause a major roster exodus as well as harm our recruiting class. Which will make it even tougher for the next coach to rebuild.

Ya'll thought I was full of it when I mentioned Arnett back in November- and look where we are now? Just something to ponder on the next couple of weeks.

A) Not sure about this, there are so many good pitching coaches at all levels. Some just need a chance.

B) Again, not sure about this, times have changed, IF a coach is scared of someone being fired after winning a Natty two years back, then he isn't the one we want anyway. I don't or didn't know too many coaches who were afraid of making good money and taking on a better job! Not only that, Coaches and AD's have to trust one another. Lastly, Big Time Coaches you haved stated not coming? Didn't scare the Pirate after we fired JoeMo after season two.

C) I agree

sandjunky
05-10-2023, 12:19 PM
The more I think about it - the more I think the bucket would do better than the staff

Lemonis - what does he coach? The art of organization?
Gotro - infield - there?s not one elite fielder or hitter (Hines here but he?s platooning at DH)
Cheese - catchers - no need to say more

HancockCountyDog
05-10-2023, 12:33 PM
If we do fire him, we need to act like a top 5 baseball program in the country.

It should be a national search and we try to hire the best guy in the country.

Lord McBuckethead
05-10-2023, 12:33 PM
Baseball is the easiest of the sports to coach. GoTro could do it.

basedog
05-10-2023, 12:39 PM
Baseball is the easiest of the sports to coach. GoTro could do it.

I agree

SpaceBully
05-10-2023, 01:11 PM

Regarding Arnette....."Where are we now?" Nobody knows. We haven't played a game yet. Nor a season to see if he's even competitive. IMO, jury is still out on Zach, but don't get me wrong. He was the right choice for HC given the situation we faced. Hope if works out and we soar in football, but it's still a question mark at this point.

Cowbell
05-10-2023, 02:03 PM

I and Cooter have been saying this for over a month. We should have fired Lemo already and given Gotro the reigns as a trial run.

maroonmania
05-10-2023, 02:33 PM
Is Gotro a hard ass?? If not we don't need him. Most all the successful baseball coaches, including Cohen, seem to have that characteristic. Nice guys just don't get the job done as head coaches. The culture becomes soft as baby poo.

Saltydog
05-10-2023, 02:34 PM

Or we could do what we did in football and take the easy way out, which is the MSU way of doing things. . . . .I will say this though, unlike our baseball program, our football program has far less national appeal or prominence and we may not have been able to do any better than Zach to begin with. . . .I don't feel that way about our baseball program.....

maroonmania
05-10-2023, 03:01 PM
Or we could do what we did in football and take the easy way out, which is the MSU way of doing things. . . . .

Arnett took over In a program that was at least winning at a reasonable clip. Gotro would be taking over a program that he was a big part of that just finished last in the SEC the previous 2 seasons. Hard to have any confidence in that move.

Saltydog
05-10-2023, 03:02 PM
Is Gotro a hard ass?? If not we don't need him. Most all the successful baseball coaches, including Cohen, seem to have that characteristic. Nice guys just don't get the job done as head coaches. The culture becomes soft as baby poo.

Not from what I understand.......

viverlibre
05-10-2023, 03:08 PM

Concur, I have no idea why our fans think we can't get a great coach. The fact Lemon juice won one so quickly/easily should be a sign to every baseball coach in the country, who's goal it is to win a natty, to come to MSU to make their dreams a reality.

KB21
05-10-2023, 03:34 PM
If I hired an assistant to be head coach, then I?d just hire Corey Muscara to be the head coach.

calidawg
05-10-2023, 03:40 PM
This is all so f'ed up. How did we get here.

Saltydog
05-10-2023, 04:00 PM
This is all so f'ed up. How did we get here.

ONLY at Mississippi State could we take something so good and turn it into absolute shit......

ScooterDog
05-10-2023, 04:22 PM
Sandjunky may have the most $$ affordable idea yet. Keep Lemo and clean house, replace everybody else with all new assistants. After all, don?t the assistants do the most teaching and training? A novel idea indeed, and something to think about.

civildawg
05-10-2023, 04:25 PM
If you fire Lemo, which he should be, you better have a coach locked down already. We have seen how this has played out before, surely we?ve learned our lesson.

grandprairiedog
05-10-2023, 04:38 PM

Certainly would be ironic how Cannizaro was hired to land GoTro to the head man. . .

TNDawg35
05-10-2023, 06:58 PM
I don’t understand some of y’all… “If we fire Lemonis after a NC, it is gonna hurt our chances of hiring someone good.” I don’t get this. It isn’t like we are talking about 2 seasons where we went to a regional or even Hoover for that matter. I e are going to finish DEAD ****IN LAST 2 years in a row in the SEC not to mention not sniffing a NCAA tourney. If you can’t understand why he is fired and don’t want the job because of that, so be it. We don’t want you.

We aren’t loosing a whole roster of people. We will loose a couple and maybe even a good one or 2, but we aren’t loosing the whole damn roster. IF we get a new coach, he will keep who he wants and send who he doesn’t down the road. The days of 3-4 years to be competitive are over. We can be right back in the hosting Buble Next year. We just have to hit the portal. Plain and simple. So stop thinking this is a 5-10 year rebuild. It ain’t. It is literally an off-season rebuild now days. (Look and LSU this year and A&M last year) The right coach and boom. We are back.

Please no to Gotro. I’m tired of having games where our offense just magically makes the other pitcher look like Maddux or Nolan Ryan. How many games have we been 1-3 hit for the whole game. I want the electric offense. Let him go coach Bama.

Cheese has done nothing wrong to get fired. He has a raw freshman who we knew was raw and he has improved behind the plate in my eyes a lot. The hitting is down in average, but his blocking and overall behind the plate has been a lot better. You can’t blame Hancock on Cheese. Wasn’t his fault. That’s on Lemonis or whoever decided to bring him back as a captain.

Now I don’t know if Lemonis will be fired. I’m leaning toward he won’t. I’m not sure if that’s good or bad right now. I wouldn’t mind seeing him with a damn good pitching coach to be honest, but it’s above my pay grade of course. Go out, throw big money at a pitching coach and bring him in and let him hit the portal hard. There should be very VERY few pitchers that are on this roster for next year…

Coach34
05-10-2023, 07:05 PM
Well, if you purge GoTro- you will probably lose 3 and 4 in the order. That would mean losing 2, 3, 4, maybe 5, 6 should be given no choice to return, 7, and 8 in the batting order going into next season. Thats replacing alot

HoopsDawg
05-10-2023, 07:05 PM
Nice troll job by Coach34.

DownwardDawg
05-10-2023, 07:09 PM

Kinda what I was thinking.

Homedawg
05-10-2023, 07:39 PM

I happen to agree w a bunch of what he said. Not that I'm right either. But it's not a troll job.

Coach34
05-10-2023, 07:53 PM
I happen to agree w a bunch of what he said. Not that I'm right either. But it's not a troll job.

Our fanbase is in such denial right now its crazy.

Our last search ended with us taking our 7th choice. We hired the f'ing coach from Indiana. We gonna fire a guy 2 years after a Natty and multiple arm injuries. Coaches arent f'ing stupid

Coach34
05-10-2023, 08:03 PM
and I'll add this- 50% of the time prospective coaches talk to the coach that was just fired to get his side of the story. Coaches know each other and talk

viverlibre
05-10-2023, 08:12 PM
Our fanbase is in such denial right now its crazy.

Our last search ended with us taking our 7th choice. We hired the f'ing coach from Indiana. We gonna fire a guy 2 years after a Natty and multiple arm injuries. Coaches arent f'ing stupid

You realize we're two years from a natty? That wasn't the case when we hired Lemon Juice. He won it so quickly and easily, that any coach, whose goal it is to win a natty, would crawl on crushed glass to get here. Now there are certainly college baseball coaches who care more about job security than nattys, but that's not who we want, we want a coach with the singular focus of winning a natty. With our resources, atmosphere, support and recent history, we are probably the third-best job in college baseball for a coach wanting to win it all (behind LSU and Vandy). This wasn't the case the last time we had a coaching search. The natty changed everything.

It's criminal that Polk didn't stack up championships.

HoopsDawg
05-10-2023, 08:19 PM

Yeah it's a low key troll job. We aren't hiring GoTro as our next head coach. He doesn't think we are getting a top tier guy (I agree) so he's throwing out GoTro's name to get a message board reaction.

EdwardDrayton
05-10-2023, 08:42 PM
1) We should and will fire Lemo.

(2) We can have any coaches we want. We pay as well as anyone, have unparalleled facilities, have the best and largest fanbase and a strong legacy. Any coach that does not want the job will have personal reasons for staying where they are that have nothing to do with us. Except maybe for the schools if they have children.

(3) We have the ability to keep any player(s) we choose.

(4) Unlike football and basketball, we are college baseball royalty.

Homedawg
05-10-2023, 08:45 PM
You realize we're two years from a natty? That wasn't the case when we hired Lemon Juice. He won it so quickly and easily, that any coach, whose goal it is to win a natty, would crawl on crushed glass to get here. Now there are certainly college baseball coaches who care more about job security than nattys, but that's not who we want, we want a coach with the singular focus of winning a natty. With our resources, atmosphere, support and recent history, we are probably the third-best job in college baseball for a coach wanting to win it all (behind LSU and Vandy). This wasn't the case the last time we had a coaching search. The natty changed everything.

It's criminal that Polk didn't stack up championships.

Third best job?? Wow.

Homedawg
05-10-2023, 08:46 PM
1) We should and will fire Lemo.

(2) We can have any coaches we want. We pay as well as anyone, have unparalleled facilities, have the best and largest fanbase and a strong legacy. Any coach that does not want the job will have personal reasons for staying where they are that have nothing to do with us. Except maybe for the schools if they have children.

(3) We have the ability to keep any player(s) we choose.

(4) Unlike football and basketball, we are college baseball royalty.

Look I'm on the fence of keeping him or not. But you're living in fantasy land. 2- already been proven wrong. 3- we will lose some this year that will prove that statement badly incorrect. 4- in your eyes.

Homedawg
05-10-2023, 08:47 PM
Yeah it's a low key troll job. We aren't hiring GoTro as our next head coach. He doesn't think we are getting a top tier guy (I agree) so he's throwing out GoTro's name to get a message board reaction.

I don't think we will hire goat either. But it's not out of this world.

msstate7
05-10-2023, 09:01 PM
If we get desperate enough to hire Jake, just take Scott Berry from usm

civildawg
05-10-2023, 09:04 PM
The same guy that told us no way we were firing Lemonis all year is now saying who we will/won?t hire.

Homedawg
05-10-2023, 09:06 PM
If we get desperate enough to hire Jake, just take Scott Betty from usm

I don't think we hire goat either. Just that I've heard crazier. That's all. Players do like him.

Homedawg
05-10-2023, 09:08 PM
The same guy that told us no way we were firing Lemonis all year is now saying who we will/won?t hire.

Go back and read his OP. Don't think he said we were firing lem. And don't think he said we were hiring goat. Maybe I missed all that.

msstate7
05-10-2023, 09:08 PM
If we going with an assistant, get Wes Johnson

Coach34
05-10-2023, 10:15 PM

Terrible. MiniMe is not a HC

Homedawg
05-10-2023, 10:19 PM

I'll pass

Homedawg
05-10-2023, 10:21 PM

Been reading too much of shotgun/colonelkangs shit. How does this guy get a pass on arm injuries that are 3x what fox are and he's blasted I'll never know.

msstate7
05-10-2023, 10:42 PM
Been reading too much of shotgun/colonelkangs shit. How does this guy get a pass on arm injuries that are 3x what fox are and he's blasted I'll never know.

Maybe he is to blame for the injuries... no idea. I don't blame foxhall for injuries either. I think wes is a great assistant, so I'd prefer him over jake if we go that route. If these 2 are our options, I'd just keep lemonis though, and I'm not a lemonis fan.

HoopsDawg
05-10-2023, 10:44 PM
Maybe he is to blame for the injuries... no idea. I don't blame foxhall for injuries either. I think wes is a great assistant, so I'd prefer him over jake if we go that route. If these 2 are our options, I'd just keep lemonis though, and I'm not a lemonis fan.

Hopefully Selmon is a good enough AD to have a coach nearly in place if he makes that move.

DownwardDawg
05-10-2023, 11:01 PM
Terrible. MiniMe is not a HC

Agreed. That would be terrible.

Todd4State
05-11-2023, 02:42 AM

Wes also has zero head coaching experience. Major risk for us given our situation.

We HAVE TO get this next hire right. Our baseball coaching hires have been a complete circus my fan lifetime except for Pat McMahon getting promoted.

State82
05-11-2023, 10:01 AM
How does this guy get a pass on arm injuries that are 3x what fox are and he's blasted I'll never know.

Yeah, Wes caught unmitigated hell when he was here. People were ready to run him out on a rail due to the injury epidemic.

Tbonewannabe
05-11-2023, 10:52 AM
and I'll add this- 50% of the time prospective coaches talk to the coach that was just fired to get his side of the story. Coaches know each other and talk

Would the next coach look at the fact that we kick the ball around like a Tball team and we are historically two of the worst teams in the 150 year history was the last two years? Not much on arm injuries to point to this year either. A lot of teams have it worse just in the SEC.

smootness
05-11-2023, 11:24 AM
I don't think we hire goat either. Just that I've heard crazier. That's all. Players do like him.

Honestly, if our current players like him, that may be a good reason to get rid of him. We need our next coach to be someone the players don't think is a super great guy.

smootness
05-11-2023, 11:27 AM
I get that we have some really talented players on this roster. But after the last 2 years, we don't need someone to come in and try to just add some transfers and roll. We need some purging from the roster, too. Yes, it may mean we continue being quite bad for another year or two, but I'd rather make wholesale changes than try to keep patching it. We brought in some good transfers and a good freshman class this year, and it did absolutely nothing for us. The culture has some problems, and we need to fix those problems.

Pancho
05-11-2023, 12:17 PM
I heard that some of the player parents are not pleased at all with Lemo. I have no idea what this means as the guy would not elaborate.

Homedawg
05-11-2023, 12:52 PM
I heard that some of the player parents are not pleased at all with Lemo. I have no idea what this means as the guy would not elaborate.

To be fair, baseball parents are the WORST! Their kid strikes out, it isn't his fault. Ever!!! Losing just adds more fuel to the fire.

AROB44
05-11-2023, 12:53 PM

I heard the exact opposite....

Todd4State
05-11-2023, 01:01 PM
To be fair, baseball parents are the WORST! Their kid strikes out, it isn't his fault. Ever!!! Losing just adds more fuel to the fire.

So true! LOL!

parabrave
05-11-2023, 01:22 PM
I get that we have some really talented players on this roster. But after the last 2 years, we don't need someone to come in and try to just add some transfers and roll. We need some purging from the roster, too. Yes, it may mean we continue being quite bad for another year or two, but I'd rather make wholesale changes than try to keep patching it. We brought in some good transfers and a good freshman class this year, and it did absolutely nothing for us. The culture has some problems, and we need to fix those problems.

Unfortunately the days of building a team through recruiting are over. Until they fix the transfer/portal the way this is the way teams will be constructed. One way is that every freshmen should be required to be at the school until they are Juniors or they are released by their coach. Just like they used to do.

Todd4State
05-12-2023, 01:27 AM
Unfortunately the days of building a team through recruiting are over. Until they fix the transfer/portal the way this is the way teams will be constructed. One way is that every freshmen should be required to be at the school until they are Juniors or they are released by their coach. Just like they used to do.

I disagree. The portal should be for plugging holes. Not building a team. That core comes from your high school recruits.

Tbonewannabe
05-12-2023, 09:00 AM
I heard the exact opposite....

I heard this team is completely disfunctional from the coaches down. We actually sat next to a parent at Bama and they said that the team was just a mess, coaches and players.

parabrave
05-12-2023, 09:46 AM
I disagree. The portal should be for plugging holes. Not building a team. That core comes from your high school recruits.

It should be. But in the world of instant gratification where every freshman and his/her parent think they should be an instant starter the building of a core team is kaput. Thats why I stated that they need to go back to the old model/

Schultzy
05-12-2023, 11:20 AM
Lem staying
Gotro to Bama HC
Hiring new pc & hitting
all are determined I think but I don’t have names

sandjunky
05-12-2023, 12:50 PM
Lem staying
Gotro to Bama HC
Hiring new pc & hitting

Lol

redstickdawg
05-12-2023, 01:49 PM
Lem staying
Gotro to Bama HC
Hiring new pc & hitting

Thanks Bert!

Cowbell
05-12-2023, 02:43 PM
Lem staying
Gotro to Bama HC
Hiring new pc & hitting
all are determined I think but I don?t have names

We will regret losing Gotro imo

maroonmania
05-12-2023, 02:53 PM
We will regret losing Gotro imo

Well if Gotro has a chance to be a HC in the SEC we are going to lose him regardless. The question would be why would we think Lem has any idea how to right this ship with a couple of new assistants?

Pancho
05-13-2023, 04:28 AM
Who thinks Lemo has the ability to properly evaluate prospects? Why is he needed if he expects his assistants to do these things?

StarkVegasSteve
05-13-2023, 12:13 PM
The firing a coach two years removed from a national championship is going to be the biggest obstacle. The college baseball coaching world is a lot closer knit community than football or basketball and these guys talk. A lot of coaches are not going to be keen on one bad year equating the hot seat and two bad years meaning you are fired. We will have to overpay for any good coach unless Butch wants to take the discount of all hometown discounts.

msstate7
05-13-2023, 12:22 PM
The firing a coach two years removed from a national championship is going to be the biggest obstacle. The college baseball coaching world is a lot closer knit community than football or basketball and these guys talk. A lot of coaches are not going to be keen on one bad year equating the hot seat and two bad years meaning you are fired. We will have to overpay for any good coach unless Butch wants to take the discount of all hometown discounts.

I think this is BS, kinda. What competitive coach is looking at lemonis making mega bucks, and says man, I don't see why they (with the best stadium in college baseball and great fans that support) expect more than a less than 30% winning percentage in conference play. Some up-and-comer would walk 1000 miles uphill to get paid like a boss to coach here. Sure, the old guys that are comfortable won't come, but there are a shit load of guys that can do better than what we've saw the last 2 years

StarkVegasSteve
05-13-2023, 12:29 PM
I think this is BS, kinda. What competitive coach is looking at lemonis making mega bucks, and says man, I don't see why they (with the best stadium in college baseball and great fans that support) expect more than a less than 30% winning percentage in conference play. Some up-and-comer would walk 1000 miles uphill to get paid like a boss to coach here. Sure, the old guys that are comfortable won't come, but there are a shit load of guys that can do better than what we've saw the last 2 years

***COULD*** do better. It is a crapshoot outside of about 5-6 guys. And we HAVE to get this hire right. I have soured a bit on Haire. I would love to see Nate Thompson get a look.

Jack Lambert
05-13-2023, 12:30 PM
There are two types of coaches. Those who been fired and those who are going to get fired. If you don't win you get fired. I am pretty sure coaches know that no matter where they coach. SEC baseball is high stake baseball. You have to win, and two consecutive suck ass seasons should get you fired. Maybe if you have been there ten plus years and always won you cut a little slack, but he inherited a great situation, won because of that situation and he benefited from it. Now the situation is all on him. There are coaches out there who look at what we have and say to themselves, "Give me a chance I can win." This bullshit argument you can't fire a coach after two seasons because it will scare coaches away is stupid. The same ones who arguing to keep him because of that are the same one who argued to fire Moorhead after two winning seasons.

He has to go and go now! It is continuing to get worse not better. No improvement. Nothing. Fire his ass today.

Quaoarsking
05-13-2023, 12:32 PM

Exactly. There are plenty of coaches who would be happy to take this job. Worst case scenario, we come in last again in 2024 like we have the last 2 years.

Quaoarsking
05-13-2023, 12:34 PM
If a coach is too scared to take our job, it's probably for the best that we don't hire him.

EdwardDrayton
05-13-2023, 12:34 PM

100%

StarkVegasSteve
05-13-2023, 12:35 PM
There are two types of coaches. Those who been fired and those who are going to get fired. If you don't win you get fired. I am pretty sure coaches know that no matter where they coach. SEC baseball is high stake baseball. You have to win, and two consecutive suck ass seasons should get you fired. Maybe if you have been there ten plus years and always won you cut a little slack, but he inherited a great situation, won because of that situation and he benefited from it. Now the situation is all on him. There are coaches out there who look at what we have and say to themselves, "Give me a chance I can win." This bullshit argument you can't fire a coach after two seasons because it will scare coaches away is stupid. The same ones who arguing to keep him because of that are the same one who argued to fire Moorhead after two winning seasons.

He has to go and go now! It is continuing to get worse not better. No improvement. Nothing. Fire his ass today.

I want to fire him and I wanted to fire Joe. I actually wanted to fire them a year earlier than everyone else did. I just think folks need to temper their expectations. There are a lot of coaches that would love to come into this situation. That list thins tremendously when you take out the coaches that we would have no interest in. I would imagine our list would be about 4-5 guys and people would be happy with 1-2 of those

msstate7
05-13-2023, 12:47 PM
***COULD*** do better. It is a crapshoot outside of about 5-6 guys. And we HAVE to get this hire right. I have soured a bit on Haire. I would love to see Nate Thompson get a look.

This 2 year stretch is as bad as we've been, ever. Cohen was at same level, but he came in to a rebuild

ETA: BTW, I said "can", not "could"

Quaoarsking
05-13-2023, 01:07 PM
I want to fire him and I wanted to fire Joe. I actually wanted to fire them a year earlier than everyone else did. I just think folks need to temper their expectations. There are a lot of coaches that would love to come into this situation. That list thins tremendously when you take out the coaches that we would have no interest in. I would imagine our list would be about 4-5 guys and people would be happy with 1-2 of those

As long as the number is at least 1 we're all good.

Goldendawg
05-13-2023, 03:55 PM

This. Cohen shot off his big month and didn't deliver a big name coach he alluded to and we ended up with Lemonis who was quickly in over his head.

Jack Lambert
05-13-2023, 04:21 PM

You know I wasn't for firing Joe for the same reason folks don't want to fire the current baseball coach, but I was wrong. You can do better and not hurt the image of Miss State athletics. Coaches will want to come here. All of them know you have to win to keep your job. They know that going in. In case of Jo we won in spike of him with a loaded roster. He should have won way more games and he let discipline lapse and the program was on the wrong road. What is worst about baseball they are not on the wrong road they are on the wrong AutoBahn with pedal to the metal.

basedog
05-13-2023, 04:39 PM
You know I wasn't for firing Joe for the same reason folks don't want to fire the current baseball coach, but I was wrong. You can do better and not hurt the image of Miss State athletics. Coaches will want to come here. All of them know you have to win to keep your job. They know that going in. In case of Jo we won in spike of him with a loaded roster. He should have won way more games and he let discipline lapse and the program was on the wrong road. What is worst about baseball they are not on the wrong road they are on the wrong AutoBahn with pedal to the metal.

Yep I agree. Money, our fans, stadium and now days the community is more attractive for safety compared to lot of other cities or towns. Totally ridiculous reading some of the things saying we can't get a good Coach. I could give a rats ass if he comes from some high profile program. There are several dozen good coaches waiting for the opportunity.

Homedawg
05-13-2023, 04:56 PM
Exactly. There are plenty of coaches who would be happy to take this job. Worst case scenario, we come in last again in 2024 like we have the last 2 years.

There are plenty. All of which will be similar in resume to Lem was when we hired him.

msstate7
05-13-2023, 05:05 PM
There are plenty. All of which will be similar in resume to Lem was when we hired him.

Worst case - we finish last in sec like lemonis will do until he's gone

maroonmania
05-13-2023, 07:49 PM

Odds are about 90% that anyone we hire with a really good resume will do better. First, you can't really do worse than last in the SEC and an overall losing record for 2 years in a row. Second, this will be the first time we've ever had to let a coach go due to abysmal performance on the field all the way back to Paul Gregory. Polk II was the closest we've been to something like this but it still wasn't nearly this bad and we weren't going to fire Ron Polk even if he hadn't retired because well, he's Ron Polk. If a coach uses the BS excuse that we should have put up with a 3rd abysmal year from Lemonis before we had the right to make a move then I don't want him anyway because he obviously doesn't grasp the value MSU puts on its college baseball program.

Activated Alpha
05-13-2023, 08:11 PM
Honestly this year and last year are THE most anti-clutch team we have ever fielded. I know with a 100% guarantee that when we have runners on 3rd or 2nd that would give us a lead our hitters will strikeout or puss out. Every ****ing time!!

Quaoarsking
05-13-2023, 08:41 PM
Worst case - we finish last in sec like lemonis will do until he's gone

Yep, that's the key that some people won't acknowledge.

If we'd come in 11th in 2022 and 2023 and barely missed a Regional, there could be a strong argument for keeping him. But that's not the world we live in. We're godawful and bad at fundamentals. We're underachieving compared to what an "average coach" would get out of these squads, and we'll continue to if we let Lemonis coach again next year.

Dawgface
05-13-2023, 09:10 PM
State up 5 in the 9th. If we hold on Lem gets an extension. :)

DownwardDawg
05-13-2023, 09:14 PM
State up 5 in the 9th. If we hold on Lem gets an extension. :)

Look how far we've fallen. We're up in LSU, the number 2 team in the country at their house, and there's not even a game thread. Nobody cares.
Can we still make the SEC tournament if we take 2 this weekend? I stopped keeping up.

TNDawg35
05-13-2023, 09:52 PM
Look how far we've fallen. We're up in LSU, the number 2 team in the country at their house, and there's not even a game thread. Nobody cares.
Can we still make the SEC tournament if we take 2 this weekend? I stopped keeping up.

Yes. We are 2 games behind MZ if my calculations are correct. They pulled a rabbit and have taken the first 2 from UGA tho, so that hurt us. We need to win tom, and then take Atleast 2 from A&M which can be done.

Miz has a red hot Auburn team to finish up next wknd so that’s in our favor. The announcer has also stated tonight that OM has been eliminated from tournament contention after tonight. I would have to go look and make sure that’s correct.